PDA

View Full Version : Magic Capability [Feat]

Reinboom
2007-12-20, 12:40 PM
Magic Capable
Requirements: 4 ranks of spellcraft
Benefit: Choose a base spellcasting class you do not have levels in. Whenever you would gain a level of a class that advances spellcasting from a previous class, if the chosen class can be increased by it normally, you may treat it instead as though you had 1 level in the chosen class for the purposes of spellcasting.
In addition, you may choose a 1st level spell available to the chosen class. You gain this spell as a spell-like ability usable twice a day with caster level equal to half your hit die, rounded up.

Special: The benefit of this feat may apply to other alternatives to spellcasting, such as psionics or incarnum. The requirements for psionic classes is psicraft instead of spellcraft.

HellFencer
2007-12-20, 04:28 PM
If I'm understanding this right, I could have a rogue take levels in a prestige, and using this feat, could gain sorc spells (for instance, without naming names)? Or does this mean I am a sorc and can gain cleric spells through a prestige class and this feat?

As is, I'm not finding any prestige classes that give spells per day without having a prerequisite of knowing spells already. But, I still find this a wicked cool idea.

Reinboom
2007-12-20, 04:32 PM
You could use it as you said, taking a class obviously intended for one type of spellcasting and using that as a base but prestige-ing it the other way.
However, the main inspiration:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=3
and
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67150

and there are more like that, they are just few and far between.
I've wanted to go Rogue/Master of Masks before... but... you are always losing something if you don't have a caster class. This gives you one. :smallsmile:

-edit-
Since its use is rather limited, I'm thinking about turning it either into a half-feat or giving it something small extra. Like a 2/day use of a single 1st level spell from the chosen class.

Umarth
2007-12-20, 04:42 PM
Part of the cost of those PrCs is that you have to take a levels in multiple classes.

Is that a cost you'd like to get rid of? If so why not just change the PrC to have it grant you effective spell casting levels in a class?

AmadeusWindfall
2007-12-20, 04:48 PM
Part of the cost of those PrCs is that you have to take a levels in multiple classes.

Is that a cost you'd like to get rid of? If so why not just change the PrC to have it grant you effective spell casting levels in a class?

There are some PrCs, like the Cloaked Dancer and Master of Masks from Complete Scoundrel, that offer partial spellcasting advancement but do not require spellcasting capabilities: It's presumably to allow spellcasters more variety in viable prestige classes.

Reinboom
2007-12-20, 04:54 PM
There are some PrCs, like the Cloaked Dancer and Master of Masks from Complete Scoundrel, that offer partial spellcasting advancement but do not require spellcasting capabilities: It's presumably to allow spellcasters more variety in viable prestige classes.

Nope. It's because they are bard Prestige Classes, just, without being strictly bard.

reorith
2007-12-20, 05:08 PM
nice work sweetrein

brian c
2007-12-20, 05:36 PM

If you remove the "prestige class" line from the description and instead write "a class that advances spellcasting from a previous class", then it includes several Paragon classes also.

RandomFellow
2007-12-20, 06:00 PM
Since you feel it is underpowered for a full on feat...
maybe make it so it caps at 4 instead of 1? That way you can complete the Master of Masks PrC and get 4 levels instead of 1.

Reinboom
2007-12-20, 06:00 PM
If you remove the "prestige class" line from the description and instead write "a class that advances spellcasting from a previous class", then it includes several Paragon classes also.

I thought paragon were considered prestige classes?
Never-the-less, reworded to be inclusive anyways.

Also, added the spell-like ability thing. Not really powerful, but, can be fun.

Since you feel it is underpowered for a full on feat...
maybe make it so it caps at 4 instead of 1? That way you can complete the Master of Masks PrC and get 4 levels instead of 1.

It doesn't cap at 1. It just changes the first level possibly gained to 1 level. So you can add the rest to it as you want.
Perhaps I should word it better somehow...

brian c
2007-12-20, 07:12 PM
I thought paragon were considered prestige classes?
Never-the-less, reworded to be inclusive anyways.

Also, added the spell-like ability thing. Not really powerful, but, can be fun.

The only pre-requisites for Paragon classes are being a member of that race; you can take your first level in X Paragon if you want to.