PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher, once again

Morty
2007-12-20, 01:20 PM
This is third thread about The Witcher game, but since it's a great game, and those two threads before this one had fallen into obscurity, I decided to create a new one.
I've been playing The Witcher for two weeks with pauses now, and I think I'm coming to the end- I'm in burning Wyzima right now.
What can I say, the dialogues -both actors and lines- are great, as is combat, and it's a good thing to see that my choices actually make a difference as to which way the story goes, sometimes in surprising way- not to mention that the game doesn't railroad you and actually rewards creative thinking. References to the saga and novels are fun, but not knowing them doesn't limit the greatness factor of the game in any way. The fact that Geralt can't carry tons of weapons and armor around with him is also great. Negatives are, it works very slowly even on low details, but that's the fault of my old computer. The episode that annoyed me the most so far was The Kikimora lair uner Salamander's base. Cutting through hordes of small bugs and trying to drop the celling on brood mother while avoiding being eaten or crushed by tons of rock was horribly annoying. And why did they turn Kikimora from swamp-dwelling solitary beast into cross-breed between spider and ant eludes me.
Have anyone from here played it? If so, what are your impressions?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-20, 01:33 PM
I may be getting it for Christmas but I haven't played it yet.

I've heard the loading times are painful though.

Jinura
2007-12-20, 03:05 PM
It's on the top of my christmas wish list. Im realy excited about it. Is it freeform like Oblivion/Morrowind? Or is it more linear like baldurs gate 2 n' stuff

Winterwind
2007-12-20, 03:19 PM
So it's out now?

Boop, and just when we decided to not go to Poland over this Christmas after all.

Oh well, I'll make sure to pick it up next time when I'm back to Wrocław. Which probably will happen only in several months, but oh well. I should be learning now anyway. :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2007-12-20, 03:20 PM
I've heard the loading times are painful though.

Sure they are. It's very annoying at times, especially when you have to go in and out the building few times.

It's on the top of my christmas wish list. Im realy excited about it. Is it freeform like Oblivion/Morrowind? Or is it more linear like baldurs gate 2 n' stuff

Definetly linear, but here you actually get to make choices that affect gameplay.

So it's out now?

Boop, and just when we decided to not go to Poland over this Christmas after all.

Oh well, I'll make sure to pick it up next time when I'm back to Wrocław. Which probably will happen only in several months, but oh well. I should be learning now anyway.

Isn't it available in Germany?

Winterwind
2007-12-20, 03:35 PM
Isn't it available in Germany?Czemu miałbym się zadowolić tłumaczoną wersją gdy mogę mieć oryginał? * :smallwink:

*Why should I settle for the translated version when I can have the original?

Tengu
2007-12-20, 03:45 PM
Good point. Especially since I've heard that the non-Polish voices are much worse than the Polish ones.

I got this game quite some time ago, but I didn't play a lot of it because my brothers snatched it... I should be able to play more of it soon, though. And the impression it left on me so far is very good.

SurlySeraph
2007-12-21, 05:10 PM
I'm interested, but I haven't had a chance to get it yet. What's the magic system like? None of the reviews I read explained it coherently.

Tengu
2007-12-21, 05:25 PM
There's a simple mana system, and you can improve the power of your Signs or get new ones by spending experience. And you can also make potions using alchemical components - mostly herbs, monster body parts, and booze.

Witchers are warriors more than mages.

Morty
2007-12-22, 06:37 AM
Yeah, signs are secondary to swordfighting in The Witcher. I personally didn't focus on them much- I used Aard quite often, but all others only occasionaly, and I didn't invest much in Intelligence or sign-related talents.

Hecore
2007-12-28, 11:30 PM
I stopped playing it due to the awful loading times - it's an excellent game otherwise.

And I loved collecting the nudie cards.