PDA

View Full Version : Debt?

Alysar
2007-12-20, 03:42 PM
Thahn says that he will 'pay the balance of his debt'.

What debt is that? Is it a paladin euphemism? Or is it something we don't know about yet, a new plot hook.

Morty
2007-12-20, 03:44 PM
I think it's an euphemism for killing hobgoblins and wights in revenge for slain Azurites.

Alysar
2007-12-20, 03:57 PM
I think it's an euphemism for killing hobgoblins and wights in revenge for slain Azurites.

Yeah, but he said it just as he thought he was going to be killed.

Morty
2007-12-20, 04:00 PM

Did he? I took it more as convoluted threat that he'll kill the wights no matter how much of them come.

TigerHunter
2007-12-20, 04:00 PM
He was just being a badass.

Fighteer
2007-12-20, 04:13 PM
Yes, he's talking about the "debt" that he owes the hobgoblins in repayment for their killing of Azurites. In other words: you kill ours, we kill yours back.

TigerHunter, your avatar looks... odd if viewed with a slightly inappropriate mindset.

Dorizzit
2007-12-20, 04:15 PM
It's also possible that he arrived in AC after the main battle and was unable to help the Azurites, thus causing him to feel that he has a debt to those he couldn't protect.

TigerHunter
2007-12-20, 04:24 PM
TigerHunter, your avatar looks... odd if viewed with a slightly inappropriate mindset.
...I never realized that. I guess you need an extremely dirty mind. :smallwink:

snoopy13a
2007-12-20, 04:29 PM
It's also possible that he arrived in AC after the main battle and was unable to help the Azurites, thus causing him to feel that he has a debt to those he couldn't protect.

You're probably right. He is likely one of the paladins who was out on some quest or another where Azure City was attacked.

VetMichael
2007-12-20, 04:33 PM
Maybe he took a Credit Card with a low introductory APR but missed some payments and now has an astronomical interest rate and has worked out an arrangement with the company to pay off his debt in evil critters slain?

reorith
2007-12-20, 04:38 PM
he isn't alone.

i'm also with dorizzit in that he was probably a latecomer to the battle of ac or he was some how otherwise unavailable.

Johnny Blade
2007-12-20, 04:40 PM
Hm, just had an idea... (EDIT: A good part of which had to be revised, but I'll just leave it here so nobody gets confused about the conversation between me and TigerHunter.:smallamused: )

Has anyone noticed his cloak? He's the only one with one and it looks just like the Sapphire Guard ones, though it is significantly darker (which is applies to Thanh's clothing in general).

So he might be one of the only survivors of the Sapphire Guard, probably feeling dishonored that he didn't fight and die alongside his comrades. Perhaps, he even has some Paladin levels (highly probable anyway) and is now fallen because of some fault yet to be explained (although cowardice would be a good bet), explaining the darker look. However, this would make him a Paladin/Cleric, since he needs to get this turning ability from somewhere, and this doesn't seem that likely. So I guess the darker apparel is just a Samurai thing. I mean, they were pretty strict when it came to matters of personal honour, so even if Thanh did nothing wrong, he might feel there's a debt simply because he is alive while most of the Sapphire Guard is dead and the city he has vowed to protect is reduced to rubble and infested with Hobgoblins.

Of course, he could be wearing this cloak just because it rains often in Azure City.:smallwink:

Edit: Upon taking a closer look, I just discovered Lien has the same cloak, as well as O-Chul, so I guess...this whole thing has probably already been discussed about 50 times. Well, whatever.:smalltongue:

TigerHunter
2007-12-20, 05:01 PM
Hm, just had an idea...

Has anyone noticed his cloak? He's the only one with one and it looks just like the Sapphire Guard ones, though it is significantly darker (which is applies to Thanh's clothing in general).

So he might be one of the only survivors of the Sapphire Guard, probably feeling dishonored that he didn't fight and die alongside his comrades. Perhaps, he even has some Paladin levels (highly probable anyway) and is now fallen because of some fault yet to be explained (although cowardice would be a good bet), explaining the darker look. However, this would make him a Paladin/Cleric, since he needs to get this turning ability from somewhere, and this doesn't seem that likely. So I guess the darker apparel is just a Samurai thing. I mean, they were pretty strict when it came to matters of personal honour, so even if Thanh did nothing wrong, he might feel there's a debt simply because he is alive while most of the Sapphire Guard is dead and the city he has vowed to protect is reduced to rubble and infested with Hobgoblins.

Of course, he could be wearing this cloak just because it rains often in Azure City.:smallwink:

Edit: Upon taking a closer look, I just discovered Lien has the same cloak, as well as O-Chul, so I guess...this whole thing has probably already been discussed about 50 times. Well, whatever.:smalltongue:
It's darker because sapphire blue clashes with the black :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:

I figured you were just commenting on its being darker than the other paladins.

Johnny Blade
2007-12-20, 05:21 PM
I figured you were just commenting on its being darker than the other paladins.
I was, but then found out I was wrong but didn't feel like hiding any evidence pointing to me having made a mistake.:smallwink:

So, what is probably correct and already well-known at least by those who follow this forum more closely than I do is the following: Thanh was a high-ranking member of the Sapphire Guard and now feels he is in debt because he didn't die with the rest of the Guard, a good part of which was possibly even entrusted to him.

Twilight Jack
2007-12-20, 09:24 PM
Hm, just had an idea... (EDIT: A good part of which had to be revised, but I'll just leave it here so nobody gets confused about the conversation between me and TigerHunter.:smallamused: )

All the paladins we've seen in the Sapphire Guard have worn cloaks. I think that Thahn's darker cloak is just a corollary to the fact that he's a member of an underground resistance. Striking from the shadows and all that. Haley's outfit is a darker shade than it once was as well.

Demented
2007-12-20, 10:49 PM
He says earlier:

Consider this a partial downpayment on the full measure of righteous vengeance that is owed you!

Followed in the third-to-last panel by:

Very well, dark abominations, I suppose I shall pay the balance of my debt today.

Obviously, he intends to pay out some copious amounts of righteous vengeance.

Kai Maera
2007-12-21, 05:06 AM
He says earlier:

Followed in the third-to-last panel by:

Isn't righteous vengeance an oxymoron since the righteous forgive rather than get even?

David Argall
2007-12-21, 05:35 PM
He says

Originally Posted by Thanh
Very well, dark abominations, I suppose I shall pay the balance of my debt today.

The phrasing is not really right for that. Whatever amount of undead destruction he does, it is unlikely to be the exact balance of any debt. We don't expect him to say. "OK, debt paid. I am going home now."
"Balance of my debt" sounds distinctly like "It is my duty to die here because I failed at..." It fits nicely the idea that Thanh does not think he had done all he could do in the siege and thus owes a debt.
Any such dereliction of duty may well be minor. Thanh still smite's evil, a paladin ability he would lose if he fell. But it could still be major in his mind.

Talyn
2007-12-21, 06:46 PM
Isn't righteous vengeance an oxymoron since the righteous forgive rather than get even?

Um... paladin! A truly righteous (read Lawful Good) person could forgive a personal slight against himself out personal generosity and goodness, but a crime against society must be investigated and legitimately punished.

Or, at least, that's one interpretation. I kind of like it, and it seems to work for paladins in general.

Spiky
2007-12-22, 12:56 AM

Unless sanctioned by god, which is the definition of righteous since god is the ultimate authority on right vs wrong. (assuming a "good" god for righteous) In D&D, plenty of gods, plenty of righteous vengeance.

Spiky
2007-12-22, 01:06 AM
Thahn says that he will 'pay the balance of his debt'.

What debt is that? Is it a paladin euphemism? Or is it something we don't know about yet, a new plot hook.

I think I know what G had in mind, but it is imperfect wording, which makes me unsure. Unusual to have imperfect wording from G.......

Thanh is worried by the time of the "debt" comment because he is suddenly faced with three charging undead and he doesn't think he can handle it alone. His righteous vengeance has toned down a bit as compared with the first comment in panel 5.

So...."Balance" refers to the remaining amount of vengeance he will be able to dish out before death. He's switched from threatening to end their existence to being worried about his own. But he likes the metaphor and keeps it going.

Demented
2007-12-23, 07:25 PM
The phrasing is not really right for that. Whatever amount of undead destruction he does, it is unlikely to be the exact balance of any debt. We don't expect him to say. "OK, debt paid. I am going home now."
"Balance of my debt" sounds distinctly like "It is my duty to die here because I failed at..." It fits nicely the idea that Thanh does not think he had done all he could do in the siege and thus owes a debt.
Any such dereliction of duty may well be minor. Thanh still smite's evil, a paladin ability he would lose if he fell. But it could still be major in his mind.
He may be Lawful, but that alone doesn't make him an exacting user of metaphors.

In any case, I'll take Spiky's definition of "balance". It lets Thanh have his cake and eat it too, as far as the measure of his metaphors is concerned.

Corwin Weber
2007-12-28, 01:07 AM

...or you just need to have read the various Belkar/Miko threads.....

Spiky
2007-12-28, 01:20 AM

Oh, I don't know. Mostly those threads erase cognitive thought from my brain. And any other function useful to life. YMMV.

NikkTheTrick
2007-12-28, 01:49 AM

Just look at Miko - Windstriker picture at the House of Horrors.

You will never read Miko's "Push harder, loyal steed! Harder!" in # 373 the same way :smalleek:

Corwin Weber
2007-12-28, 02:56 AM
Just look at Miko - Windstriker picture at the House of Horrors.

You will never read Miko's "Push harder, loyal steed! Harder!" in # 373 the same way :smalleek:

I don't have to look at the picture.

From your description I already find myself unable to look at it the same way. :smalleek: