PDA

View Full Version : Medieval Rock - Discussion

The Kool
2007-12-20, 04:41 PM
Okay, gonna start an OOTS style comic, but only if I can do so without it looking like a two-year old did it. Any advice, suggestions, pointers, etc.? I'll bring up my problems as they come up, too.

Ichneumon
2007-12-20, 04:45 PM
First advice: Do not use paint. You need a real talent to draw good looking art in Paint. You need practice (of about 2-5 hours really, nothing more) to draw some real good things with other programs like Inkscape, free to download.

The Kool
2007-12-20, 04:48 PM
Thanks, I figured that out after about five minutes.

I want something that's quick, easy, doesn't take up much room... I'm willing to put a bit of work into it, but no more than about two hours per comic.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-12-20, 04:51 PM
Two hours per comic on InkScape would be indicative of a big or well-detailed comic, on average a Remember comic for me takes maybe one hour.

At some point, someone is really going to have to put together a guide to making webcomics, but then that may only exacerbate the whole issue of the ever-increasing quantity...

The Kool
2007-12-20, 04:53 PM
Good, in that case, maybe an hour per comic and a comic every other day, at best. The less time it takes to make, the more often I'll be able to find time for it.

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-20, 04:58 PM
My comics generally take around 2 hours. (look at sig, my banner)

It helps alot to use inkscape or sodipodi. Because that way you can copy-paste much easier than if you would use paint. And it has transparency. You can also edit a character from a walking position to a running position much easier. Or any other actions and gestures a character might make.

@Lying: Good point, maybe i should erase all my suggestions. Hahaha-yeeaahhh <.<

Bayar
2007-12-20, 05:29 PM
damn you guys are fast, it takes about 3-4 hours to make a page...if Inkscape does not crash that is...and with my "look exactly"-ness, no wonder...too many details :smallsigh:

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-20, 05:38 PM
Nobody told you to make a comic about the universe. :smalltongue:

Arakune
2007-12-20, 05:49 PM
Try to write your story first, even if you don't have anything too much decided.

It can be:

1-Heroes want to save princess;
2-Heroes need to fin princess;
3-They need to fight the Big Bad Dragon;
4-They save the princess;
5-Profit!

You can detail it latter if you want.
Also, don't forget to make some scratches of the characters: personalities, motivations, quirks, hobbies, etc. Again, you don't need to detail it to much at first time.

Bayar
2007-12-20, 05:57 PM
Nobody told you to make a comic about the universe. :smalltongue:

Actually, that is just the prologue...

Nameless
2007-12-21, 03:58 AM
If your comic involves giant killer turtles, it will be a success, I can garanty that

Mr_Saturn
2007-12-21, 05:25 AM
I believe i should do that then. :smallamused:

The Kool
2007-12-21, 05:29 AM
Could've sworn I posted...

Anyway, I've got the plot...

This group of adventurers gets sent forward in time by this wizard, because of a temporal rift that sent a bunch of creatures forward in time, which they need to track down as they appear. As a disguise, so their eccentricities will fit in for the indefinite amount of time they'll be there, they are disguised as a rock band. Thus, Medieval Rock is born.

Nameless
2007-12-21, 05:30 AM
I was gonna use that though :smallfrown:

I shouldn't of have said anything... :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

The Kool
2007-12-21, 05:40 AM
Well, we may find zombies wielding machine guns... Kobolds with high explosives... Orcs with tanks...

Lyinginbedmon
2007-12-21, 07:21 AM
Putting aside the issue of Orcish low Intelligence, how would an Orc in any way benefit from being inside a tank? Long-range firepower has never been something they've used, they're already resilient to most attack, and putting a group of Orcs in tight quarters in a battlefield can't be a good idea. :smalltongue:

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-21, 08:04 AM
Putting aside the issue of Orcish low Intelligence, how would an Orc in any way benefit from being inside a tank? Long-range firepower has never been something they've used, they're already resilient to most attack, and putting a group of Orcs in tight quarters in a battlefield can't be a good idea. :smalltongue:

There was a pretty good book called "Grunts" that explored this issue... The Orcs found a rift in time/space, that led to a Marine Corps Supply Depot.

Much hilarity ensued...

The Kool
2007-12-21, 12:34 PM
It was just an example! Though they'll be fighting modern guys just as often as DnD guys, probably. Now way to know until it get going!'

Speaking of which, got inkscape, now I'm gonna draw up the intro.

The Kool
2007-12-21, 12:51 PM
Before I start drawing up the people, I want to know how you save the individual people and things. Cuz guitars and drums are gonna be mighty hard to re-draw...

Lyinginbedmon
2007-12-21, 01:47 PM
It's usually easiest to place them all in one InkScape file and then copy them over to new images as necessary.

The Kool
2007-12-21, 08:23 PM
Hm, good idea. That would involve some more preparation before I start.

The Kool
2007-12-21, 11:22 PM
I've got just about everything but the characters and instruments, and I've whipped up a sample character, and only one question remains: how do I get them on the net? Photobucket doesn't work, so what does?

Sneak
2007-12-21, 11:54 PM
Imageshack (http://imageshack.us/) to the rescue!

The Kool
2007-12-22, 12:28 AM
Okay, if you know that you use inkscape with that site, my question is this: what step am I missing to make the file of a type that will be accepted on image sites?

Sneak
2007-12-22, 12:43 AM
I personally use Adobe Illustrator, but, well...my guess is that you're saving the files as Inkscape files instead of as image files. I would personally recommend saving the image as a gif and then uploading onto Imageshack.

Ego Slayer
2007-12-22, 02:02 AM
The default file type for Inkscape is .svg. It's also not capable of saving .gif, so you could easily use .png: File>Export.

The Kool
2007-12-22, 02:07 AM
Will, off to try to decipher how to do that, though I'll just use photobucket in that case.

Figured and done. Here's the sample character.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/jmkool/samplecharacter.png

The Kool
2007-12-22, 02:33 AM
And here's the 0th comic, without people or stuff, and only the half of the dialog and names that I can remember right now.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/jmkool/MedievalRock000.png

Any criticisms, advice, or the like?

The Kool
2007-12-26, 04:33 AM
I've been working on stuff, I've improved character technique, and I've drawn my first instrument:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/jmkool/sampleinstrument.png
It still needs a bit of work. I still need to draw the actual characters and put them in that 0th comic, but it'll be done soon. Once I've gotten it started, future comics will take much less time.

Maulrus
2007-12-26, 02:47 PM
I like the guitar, except I feel like the neck extends too far into the body.

Ichneumon
2007-12-26, 03:26 PM
I like the colors.

The Kool
2008-01-06, 05:34 AM
Blargh, new years' scramble...

Anyway, got a few other commitments, I'll get back to this before too long. I hope to be able to keep this up steadily. If and when I get started, I should be able to keep it up. The problem is getting started...

The Kool
2009-01-09, 01:33 PM
Well, as part of my new year's resolution (this year's, not last year's), I'm digging up old projects I never completed. Or started, same difference. So, I'm putting this back on my list of things to do when I have the time, and though it may take several years for me to get around to it :smallfrown:, I will.