PDA

View Full Version : The Battle for Wesnoth

Dorizzit
2007-12-20, 05:10 PM
Exactly as the title. What do people think of the game?

Amiria
2007-12-20, 05:36 PM
I like it. Played it a lot some months ago. My favorite campaign by far was Heir to the Throne. Never played multiplayer though and often relied on the save/load 'cheat'.

The editor seems quite easy to use. Maybe I'll try to make some own things with it some time.

Dorizzit
2007-12-20, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that's the campaign I'm working on currently. Do you have any advice?

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-12-20, 05:46 PM
For a free game, it's great. It's not too complicated, but there's lots of chance for strategy. The single player is a lot of fun too, since your units have names, traits, and level up, and you can bring them back in the next mission. I still remeber some of the troops I used to play through the "Heir to the Throne" campaign. There was one mage I had for over twenty missions, and he got to the max level. His name was Rhuny, I think.
One thing I did find annoying was the speed at which the time of day changed. It would always change in the middle of a big fight, and I'd end up having to retreat, and wait until the day changed again.:smallsigh:

Save up your money, get lots of grand knights and white mages, and if a level three unit ever dies, load the autosave of the previous turn.:smallwink:
Unless it's the last mission of course. Then use all that money you've saved up to recruit a full keep of knights every turn.:smallbiggrin:

multilis
2007-12-20, 06:08 PM
You gotta know when to hold em,
Know when to charge em,
Know when to walk away,
Know when to run,

Don't risk experianced units
More than you have to
Have enough new recruits to risk
when the turn is done.

Artanis
2007-12-20, 06:10 PM
I'm currently playing it, and really loving it.

My favorite campaign so far is Under the Burning Suns. Its RPG factor gives it better immersion than the others.

Winterwind
2007-12-20, 08:01 PM
I play it frequently with friends multiplayer-style - not against each other usually, but something like two human players against five computer players. On randomly generated maps, with the experience requirement factor set to 40%, so that there is a chance to get to the level 3 units within this one battle. Fun times. :smallsmile:

So yeah, great game, and allows for a lot of strategy. A bit too much luck for my taste though. I have huge trouble convincing my friends that the AI does not cheat, and that the appearance of it having too much luck is just biased perception. Of course, stuff like nine attacks with 70% missing, while 6 out of 8 counter-attacks at 40% connect, do not exactly strengthen my argument...

Xefas
2007-12-20, 08:12 PM
I like it, though I'm not a fan of the campaigns. The Multiplayer is fun, though.

Everyone needs to try a 1on1 with Drakes versus Undead at least once. Guaranteed paranoia and horrible brutality each and every turn.

Dorizzit
2007-12-20, 09:20 PM
I like it, though I'm not a fan of the campaigns. The Multiplayer is fun, though.

Everyone needs to try a 1on1 with Drakes versus Undead at least once. Guaranteed paranoia and horrible brutality each and every turn.

:smalleek:

Personally, my favorite race is the Sidhe Elves. Seriously, I can get a unit I can name "Smokey the Bear"

Nibleswick
2007-12-22, 02:16 AM
Battle for Wesnoth is fantastic, I mean, what more could you ask for? It's got good strategy, cute little people, and it's free.

Baboon Army
2007-12-22, 02:29 AM
Its an awesome game. I love the fact that it is constantly developed by the players themselves. The campiagns are really fun, lots of add-ons to download and create you own content? Yes please! :smallbiggrin:.

On the bad side....I suck at it :smallfrown:.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-22, 05:28 AM
Ironman...

Triaxx
2007-12-22, 06:24 AM
Yes, I'll admit, that game is very, very hard. I have yet to complete a single campaign.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-12-22, 06:28 AM
Wesnoth is a wonderfully fun game. That said, anyone who claims that the AI does not cheat is a liar or a silly sod. :smallmad:

Istari
2007-12-24, 11:25 AM
Im trying to play but whenever I try to open it it brings up a window that asks me to open or save and when I open it just brings the box back up.
Can someone pm me with any advice on how to fix it.

Nibleswick
2007-12-27, 02:04 AM
That is rather strange, I would suggest asking on the Wesnoth Forum (http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/), they have a nice tech support thingy there.

Ethdred
2007-12-28, 09:16 PM
Or just for the classic helpdesk response - delete the game and redownload it