PDA

View Full Version : DIY Heraldry Guide

Danzaver
2007-12-20, 07:10 PM
In another thread, someone was asking about heraldry and making crests, so I'm going to tack a little something together to give people an idea of the basic rules.

This is by no means a citable scholarly work, giving you only the basics and toning down some of the more complex rules, because lets face it, this is only for a roleplaying game, and there is only one country left in the world that has laws regarding making sure everybody uses the proper conventions. :P

WHY IS HERALDRY USEFUL IN DND?

An excellent question, I am glad I asked it.
* Many people believe that heraldry became popular because of the invention of Plate Mail. This is because it is pretty much impossible to determine anyone’s identity in plate, unless you are wearing an open-faced bascinet or kettle-hat, in which case you are an idiot, and regardless of whether you deserve to be stabbed in the face, it’s going to happen eventually. Any PC rich enough to own plate mail should really be able to spend the extra cash on covering themselves with enough trappings to instantly be recognisable to friends and foes alike. “But all this bright colour destroys my stealth” umm… hello? You’re in plate mail. Stealth is not an option. and you will be screwed if you ever bump into someone else in the same type of plate as yourself and the rogue hiding in the tower covering you from the window can’t tell which is which and YOU cop the sneak attack (DMs – use this. It will amuse me XD)
* It allows for greater options of customising your character and making him/her unique – not just another plate monkey, and fitting it all into their backstory.
* It’s just so damn cool. Seriously, a full heraldic battle-garb (for you and your horse) ftw, with all your lackeys decked out in your colours, and your lady/man-bitch carrying your shield as you walk around town. I’ve scanned a picture of what a fully armoured late 14th/early 15th century knight and warhorse would look like.
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj119/Danzaver/hotspurs001.jpg
* Finally, a use for Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) – recognising heraldry!
* It adds to the feel and flavour of the game. Being able to tell something of a man’s history and honour by his shield. If you see a bunch of plate monkeys walking down the street without heraldry, canny PCs will know that they are up to no good – perhaps assassins. Certainly they don’t want to be recognised.

TERMINOLOGY

FIELD
The background of the shield and the colours used on it. If the base coat is one colour, that is know as the field, if it is two or more colours, they are the field.
PARTI COLOURED
Generally, when a field consists of two colours, often half and half.
COUNTER-CHARGED
When the device is also parti-coloured, reflecting the field. An example of this is the red and silver crescents here http://www.sandmartyn.freeserve.co.u...01/chapman.gif
CHARGE
A device on a shield, such as a lion. The lion's claws and tongue are called the 'Accessories'
- The following are quoted directly from Col. A. G. Puttock's "A Dictionary of Heraldry and Related Subjects" (1985).... -
CREST
A figure affixed to the helm of ever commander for purposes of identification in the confusion of battle and certainly in use long before the hereditary bearing of coat armour. It is frequently confused with the badge which is a totally different thing and in many cases modern writers refer to the expression crest when they mean Coat of Arms or even Achievement.
COAT OF ARMS
A term which refers to all the bearings placed upon a Heraldic shield. In modern times the term is frequently found loosely employed to mean the full achievement.
BADGES
Marks of distinction somewhat similar to the crest but not placed on a wreath nor worn on the helmet. In early days it was usually embroidered upon the sleeves of servants and followers.
ACHIEVEMENT
This is the correct name given to armorial bearings which include the shield and all appropriate accessories. Unfortunately there is considerable misinterpretation of the expression as frequently an achievement is called a coat of arms, particularly by journalists and other writers.
In early Heraldry the expression achievement was applied particularly to the decorative plaques prepared on the death of an armiger for erection outside his house and in his church. These plaques... today are generally described as funeral hatchments.
ACCESSORIES
An achievement contains the coat of arms which is emblazoned on the shield, together with certain accessories. These include helm, wreath, crest, mantling, supporters, compartment, motto, coronet, cap of estate, etc.

COLOURS

The colours used on the shield are divided up into three categories. Tinctures, metallics, and furs. The common term is followed by its heraldic term, and for interest's sake, the gemstone and planet associated with it by heralds in the 16th century onwards.

Tinctures
- Red (gules, ruby, mars)
- blue (azure, sapphire, jupiter)
- green (vert, emerald, venus)
- purple (purpure, amethyst, mercury)
- black (sable, diamond, saturn)
additionally, there were other less commonly used tinctures, such as deep blood red (known as sanguine), flesh pink, orange, grey, brown, light sky blue and so on. But those are the main 5 tinctures.

Metallics
- Yellow (gold, topaz, sol)
- White (silver, crystal, luna)

Furs
Some of the furs can be seen here
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....dry/index.html

USE OF COLOURS

* As a strict rule, you do not place metals upon metals, and you do not place tinctures upon tinctures.
* That is to say, if the field is gold or silver, the devices on it must be of tinctures or furs.
- However, there are exceptions. -
*According to Rothery's Concise Encyclopedia of Heraldry (1994), "Thus a parti coloured shield, where both metal and [tincture] are used, or a fur-covered field, may bear charges of either metal or [tincture]. On the other hand, if the parti field is half metal and half colour, it is usual to counter-charge".
* The accessories of a charge are exempt from these rules, as are chains, coronets, and crown attached to animals, and marks of cadency (explained later)

ORDINARIES, SUB-ORDINARIES, AND LINES

Basically, these are ways of dividing up a field further and beginning to decorate it. It is not uncommon for a shield to not have any charges, but merely ordinaries and sub-ordinaries, for example, a black and silver parti-coloured field with a chevron counter-charged is the heraldry of Bartholomew's hospital in london.
Some common ordinaries and sub-ordinares are here, as well as some lines. Now we're starting to get creative.

POSITIONS ON A SHIELD
I have scanned an image showing all of the positions you are allowed to place devices on a shield.
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj119/Danzaver/shield002.jpg
For those who are curious, the names of these points are:
A - Dexter Chief
B - Middle Chief
C - Sinister Chief
D - Honour Point
E - Fess Point
F - I forget... >.>;
G - Dexter Base
H - Middle Bade
I - Sinister Base

CHARGES

Here are a couple of good sites to browse some charges
http://www.rarebooks.nd.edu/digital/heraldry/charges/
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/3384/

COMMON MEANINGS OF CHARGES

Note that these are only common and largely unproven meanings. Don't take it as canon. It is fairly common instead to use puns and 'canting' heraldry. Someone mentioned their name means 'flower' and their heraldry has a rose on it. Exactly like that, though sometimes using some pretty lame puns that you can't help but chuckle at, like Phillipe de Roche, whose shield had three cockroaches on it

http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings.htm

MARKS OF CADENCY

Are generally signifying your birth order on your family heraldry. There are the marks of cadence listed here down the bottom of the page.
The far left one signifies first born son, to its right is second born, and so on. They are generally placed on the shield on the Middle Chief Point (see above) - though I have seen the second born son one on the Honour Point, sometimes in the case of the 1st born one, stretching all the way across the top of the shield. Really, they can be places in most places, I just mention those points because it is very rare to find them elsewhere.

MARKS OF HONOUR

Generally, all devices on a shield are designed to be flattering. Eventually, heralds and knight started squabbling about which parts of the shield were the most honourable to place things. I find this pretty wanky personally, but hey, it’s all about the fragile plate monkey egos, I suppose. They like to feel special :3
It was not uncommon for heraldic devices to be ‘gifted’ to people in order to recognise their accomplisments. For example, say you kill a heap of archers and save the day, the bear on your shield might be redrawn so that it is breaking a stick. These would generally be called for by the feudal lord, who would send you off to the Armorial College to work out the particulars.
Borders around shields were popular as marks of honour in the renaissance.
This would work wonderfully in DnD, though dms should make sure their players’ shields don’t get too cluttered!

MARKS OF DISHONOUR

The most common of these is the Mark of Bastardy – that you were born out of wedlock. It is commonly understood to be a “bar sinister”, but according to A.C. Fox-Davies’ ‘A Complete to Heraldry’ (1978) this is a mistranslation. The correct translation is “bend sinister”, which is a line from the upper right corner, across the shield diagonally down.
In actuality (Fox-Davies goes on), this is a misnomer. There is no single symbol indicating bastardy, and some even wore it with pride. But for dnd’s sake, the bend sinister works fine.

There were also a number of symbols which supposedly indicated cowardice or dishonour, but I have never personally found any example of them ever being used. But again, for dnd, they work great. Just use you imagination here. One popular one is for shields which bear animals – if the bearer acts dishonourably in the tournament or brings the ladies’ disfavour upon himself (DON”T do this. Medieval ladies were far more powerful than many of us gave them credit for), the animal’s tail would be tucked between its legs. The term for this is an “[animal] coward”.

PARTS OF HERALDIC GARB

Bit laid across your horse (I forget what it is called) – doubles as a bedroll, if you don’t mind smelling like horse – which you will anyway after a day in the saddle. Seriously. I know professional jousters who sleep in them.

Mantle – lies across your helm, resembles long hair. Often topped off at the top by a coight-like cloth ring like a crown or circlet on the top of the head.

Surcoat – the great big shirt-like thing you wear over your breastplate. A longer one, more like robes, is called a Battle Houpelande. Sometime, the haraldic device would be displayed on the coat of plates itself, but less frequently.

Crested helm - The crested helm (as seen in picture, above) would not be ideal for pitched battle, instead for tournament and show. Though I have read of commanders wearing them into battle to be recognised at a distance. There is actually a little ring in the back of the chain hauberk where which ever helm you were not using would hang from. A totally mobile fashion machine.

Well, that is the absolute basics.

There should be enough here for starters, here is a catalogue of some example heraldric shields to look through.
http://www.farreaches.org/staendebuc...ker/parker.htm

Also, please ask any questions. I am happy to help.

EDIT: Compiled all the sections into one.

Crow
2007-12-20, 08:51 PM
My family crest sucks. Black dog on a silver background. Yay.

Danzaver
2007-12-20, 10:28 PM
My family crest sucks. Black dog on a silver background. Yay.

The dog is a symbol of constancy, vigilance, and loyalty.

Black and white are colours associated with wealth and extravagance, since it is hard enough to get anything to be a good pure white, let alone stay that way using natural dyes, and black requires repeated and expensive application of a dark blue dye. Black and white are also the royal colours of Germany.

Ceska
2007-12-21, 01:12 AM
Golden wheat ears bound to three rings on green ground is mine. It's understandable how the heraldic came to be, considering the castle, which is not in my family's possession anymore, is called Kornberg, wheat-hill.

Serpentine
2007-12-21, 01:21 AM
Danzaver! You forgot the puns! The puns, Danzaver! How could you?!

I don't think my family has a crest, I rarely even find the name in name books :smallsigh: Using my friend's heraldry book, though (she's in the SCA. She knew some people who made one that was a "rampant chicken on yellow" or somesuch - their name meant "cowards") I designed one for my D&D character, an exiled dwarf knight, family name Wyrnda. I can't remember the proper terminology, but it's... quartered, the top left and bottom right blue with what appears to be, according to your link, a black "urdy" line (it's a wavy line. "Wyrnda" sounds like "winder"... Puns are a time-honoured heraldry tradition!) and the top right and bottom left with crossed pick and hammer. On the top, there's a nice red tombstone-shape - I believe that's the device for "traitor". Those penalty things could be worth throwing into your guide just for interest's sake... The correct way to describe the crest could be handy, too.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-12-21, 01:52 AM
A couple of common misconceptions about heraldry:

When people talk about their family crest, they are using the wrong term. In a large coat of arms, the crest is what goes on top of the helmet which goes on top of the shield. Since most coats of arms are only a shield, using the word crest is wrong.

Secondly, just a coat of arms is not common to everyone with the same surname. When you look up your surname in a book or online to find out what your family coat of arms looks like, it is 99.99% likely not yours. A coat of arms is passed down from father to oldest son; unless you are a direct descendent of the original owner, it is not yours. This is taken pretty seriously in a lot of countries; in Scotland in particular, it is illegal to assume someone else's coat of arms unless you are legally entitled to it.

Danzaver
2007-12-21, 02:05 AM
Danzaver! You forgot the puns! The puns, Danzaver! How could you?!

I don't think my family has a crest, I rarely even find the name in name books :smallsigh: Using my friend's heraldry book, though (she's in the SCA. She knew some people who made one that was a "rampant chicken on yellow" or somesuch - their name meant "cowards") I designed one for my D&D character, an exiled dwarf knight, family name Wyrnda. I can't remember the proper terminology, but it's... quartered, the top left and bottom right blue with what appears to be, according to your link, a black "urdy" line (it's a wavy line. "Wyrnda" sounds like "winder"... Puns are a time-honoured heraldry tradition!) and the top right and bottom left with crossed pick and hammer. On the top, there's a nice red tombstone-shape - I believe that's the device for "traitor". Those penalty things could be worth throwing into your guide just for interest's sake... The correct way to describe the crest could be handy, too.

Ah yes, Canting Heraldry - gotta love it. It was most commonly used in the Holy Roman Empire. I remember one guy called Affestein (affe meaning ape, and stein meaning stone) had a monkey breaking a rock. Another fellow, Philipe de Roche had 3 cockroaches.

As for marks of dishonour and such, yes, perhaps I should include them in the next installment I do - they are perfectly usable within a roleplaying setting, very much so. Haven't read much about them in a long time, and it's a hard thing to speak on with authority, as if someone had a mark of dishonour forcibly placed on their shield, they would tend to not display it, so is lost to time forever. But I'll slap some things together usable within a dnd context.

...The reason I didn't include anything about the correct way to describe them, is that it's pretty hard to pick up, and not entirely relevant, but it might be interesting. We will see how much interest I get in this project.

Dnd needs more heraldry. There should be a chapter about it in the player's handbook! How else will you tell 2 guys in plate mail apart?

..and hee hee. SCA. *giggles*.
I love the SCA for having the best craftspeople, and being the largest and (arguably) most organised group in the world... But they're also kind of a joke here in Australia, which has the fastest growing re-enactment community in the world. Especially when it comes to combat. Hee hee pool noodles. Oh what's that? you want to hit me with the pool noodle? Oh really. Have you met my friend Damascus Steel?

Poor little Scadians XD

I also know a guy with a "war chicken" heraldry, as he calls it XD

Have you tried searching for your surname on Houseofnames.com?

Danzaver
2007-12-21, 02:15 AM
When you look up your surname in a book or online to find out what your family coat of arms looks like, it is 99.99% likely not yours. A coat of arms is passed down from father to oldest son; unless you are a direct descendent of the original owner, it is not yours. This is taken pretty seriously in a lot of countries; in Scotland in particular, it is illegal to assume someone else's coat of arms unless you are legally entitled to it.

Which is why you should also have some idea of a famous ancestor or two (ideally) when researching your heraldry. Like for example, I know my surname Williamson, originates from the Sons of William - the bodyguards and generals of William the Bastard, who took the name after the conquest of England, but that is still a lot of different possible bloodlines. I can further narrow it down, however, by knowing that I am descended from Magnus the Black, King of the Isle of Mann.

Yes. Do not mess with the Royal Armorial College in Edinburgh... even though Australia has no Armorial laws or committees, I still wouldn't be game to rip off someone else's arms (it just occured to me the double meaning of that statement. I wouldn't do that either! XD) in case it fell under the blanket of copyright law. You never know. These things have never really been tested as far as I know.

However, in addition to family coats of arms, any individual or organisation can register a personal heraldry with the aforementioned College, as long as it does not infringe upon anyone else's heraldic property.

Serpentine
2007-12-21, 05:38 AM
When people talk about their family crest, they are using the wrong term. In a large coat of arms, the crest is what goes on top of the helmet which goes on top of the shield. Since most coats of arms are only a shield, using the word crest is wrong.I'd been told that before. I was also told, however, the the coat of arms actually includes the crest and everything, not just the shield. I would've used the correct term for the shield but I couldn't remember it and as the OP used "crest" and seemed to know what he was talking about so I just went with that (I think I might've remembered it now - heraldric device?).

Secondly, just a coat of arms is not common to everyone with the same surname. When you look up your surname in a book or online to find out what your family coat of arms looks like, it is 99.99% likely not yours.I meant to add that another reason I doubt my family has any coat of arms is that I have an extremely common-sounding name (not common as in there's lots of us, but as in belonging to the "common people").

..and hee hee. SCA. *giggles*.
I love the SCA for having the best craftspeople, and being the largest and (arguably) most organised group in the world... But they're also kind of a joke here in Australia, which has the fastest growing re-enactment community in the world. Especially when it comes to combat. Hee hee pool noodles. Oh what's that? you want to hit me with the pool noodle? Oh really. Have you met my friend Damascus Steel?Well ner :smalltongue: I'm here in Australia too, but I haven't heard anything like that. Also my SCA friend never mentioned anything about pool noodles but plenty about actual weapons. Maybe it depends on the group? She's in the Canberra one, if that means anything. On the other hand, she decided not to join the Armidale reenactment group because apparently all they did was fight, and she preferred feasts and the like. Perhaps you're in one of those?

Have you tried searching for your surname on Houseofnames.com?Nope, but I'll have a look now.

Altharis
2007-12-21, 09:24 AM
Australian SCA-like group? Where? Where?

....And I've been lamenting our country's lack of good medievalists! Huzzah!

*suppresses split personality*

Danzaver
2007-12-22, 12:37 PM
<Removed due to thread restructure>

Danzaver
2007-12-22, 12:57 PM
<Removed due to thread restructure>

LordOfXoriat
2007-12-22, 04:59 PM
-edit_deleted-

ForzaFiori
2007-12-22, 06:39 PM
lol. while were on the subject of Coats of Arms that are...less than optimal, mines a red rose with a green stem on a purple background.

thats what i get for having a last name that translates to "flowers" i guess.

Felius
2007-12-22, 08:01 PM
I love it. As my family have no crest that I know, I'm considering making my own. Can someone indicate me if there is a good program for it, or if I'm going to need to learn how to draw?

Serpentine
2007-12-23, 08:09 AM
I used a pencil :smallbiggrin:

Metal Head
2007-12-23, 09:09 AM
Who needs heraldry when you're the member of a clan.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/64/140px-Herb_Rawicz.jpg
Specifically, the Rawa Clan.

Danzaver
2007-12-23, 09:23 PM
Did certain... charges, I think you called them? (the animal part) have specific meanings? You said something about dogs symbolizing loyalty, so I guess they must have.
I'm trying to find my family coat-of-arms (or whatever the proper saying is). I have it from my mother's side, but not my father's. My mom has a very common surname, where my dad and me have a rather uncommon one. I know of no famous ancestors.

There is a website, I believe it is called houseofnames.com where you can do a basic search for surnames... it might not give you the perfectly correct one for your family, but it might. Knowing the nationality of the surname helps. Some family names have websites that sometime take a bit of a search to find that have lots of good info about the family line's history and such.
I remember helping someone to find the history of the Grahames, and found a website detailing many, man different variations of their heraldry given to all different branches of the family.
There are sometimes even little web-communities run by distant relatives, linking even more distant relatives together to share family photos, news of births, deaths and weddings, and swap family histories.

Failing, that, it's always a good idea to ask your grandparents. There's bound to be one distant aunt of something that keeps the yellowed photographs, family trees and all of that sort of stuff.

I love it. As my family have no crest that I know, I'm considering making my own. Can someone indicate me if there is a good program for it, or if I'm going to need to learn how to draw?

I've never found a good program, at least not a free one. Neither do I know how to draw. I'll generally find an image of the charge I want, and either resize and print, copy/paste, or trace it, and then give it to a friend who can actually draw for tracing the design on the shield, which I paint myself (I can at least paint within the lines fairly well - doesn't have to be too great because these are shields that we bash with metal weapons and try to destroy :smallbiggrin: ). For a complex or large device I will bribe a talented friend to make me up a paper template of the charge.

Let me know how you get along, sounds like fun.

Danzaver
2007-12-23, 09:56 PM
oops, sorry LordofXoriat, I just realised I failed to answer your question about meanings of charges.

COMMON MEANINGS OF CHARGES

Note that these are only common and largely unproven meanings. Don't take it as canon. It is fairly common instead to use puns and 'canting' heraldry. Someone mentioned their name means 'flower' and their heraldry has a rose on it. Exactly like that, though sometimes using some pretty lame puns that you can't help but chuckle at, like Phillipe de Roche, whose shield had three cockroaches on it :smallsmile:

http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings.htm

...and while I am on the subject of questions I should get around to answering...

Australian SCA-like group? Where? Where?

....And I've been lamenting our country's lack of good medievalists! Huzzah!

*suppresses split personality*

Australia actually has one of the largest growing re-enactment communities in the world, particularly on the east coast. I live in Brisbane, which has the highest number of re-enactors per capita in the world, plus I know groups in NSW and Perth, and I know of all kinds of groups all around the country.

But Brisbane is the place to be. We have the SCA, of course, who do lovely crafts and some great feasts and large events, even costuming contests, and have a lot of knowledge on-hand and easy to use, but they are a bit too much like 'generalised re-enactment' for my taste. They cover such a large period and you will see at some of their feasts, Renaissance men sitting and drinking with Vikings and Dark Ages barbarians. Plus the use padded weaponry, and have lax standards regarding allowing people to use synthetic materials, and although people still have the option to make something wonderful and accurate, hand-stitching everything, for every one who does so there are two walking around in modern shoes, wearing high-density foam armour painted silver, with trogdor on their heraldry. That said, their crafts and knowledge of heraldry as well as online resources are second to none.

But unlike in America, they are not the only choice. There are a number of dark ages and crusading groups, several viking and pagan groups, romans, high chivalry late-medieval groups, renaissance pike and cannon groups, even pirates, world war 2, and a Vietnam war group (who own several tanks, including a Legionnaire tank!), you can even join the displaced viking bodyguards of the Byzantine emperor. Plus there are also a couple of fencing and sword-fighting schools which are properly registered martial arts dojos.

I am the president of one of several brisbane-based 14th century groups. My group is based in the Holy Roman Empire (Germany) and has over 10 years experience as a group wearing the heaviest armour known to history (transitional full-plate, where you would wear plate over chain over padding) and being a heavily combat-oriented group and learning from the best fighters and all the other groups' styles as well. But I am very much in favour of doing lots and lots of non-period stuff as well, and I boast that we have the most fun feasts, most friendly after-hours campsites, most beautiful ladies and our squires' chivalric conduct is second to none, and this year we have started practicing super-secret formation war-work we will unveil later in the year.

...but I digress, blowing my own war-horn, as it were.

It depends on where you live, but chances are, unless it is way out in the middle of the country, there is a group near you. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-12-24, 07:21 AM
Who needs heraldry when you're the member of a clan.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/64/140px-Herb_Rawicz.jpg
Specifically, the Rawa Clan.I know I've seen this before. Is it famous, or have you posted it before or something?
You know, I wouldn't've thought a program for coats of arms would be that hard to make. Kinda like the character creation programs for Neverwinter Nights and the like? You select the shield shape, put in the divisions, choose a field colour/s, and so on... maybe with a brief note against each of them of known meanings and maybe historical example of their use... Damn. If only I were a computer programmer, this sounds like a fun idea (if rather limited in application) :smalltongue:

Danzaver: Hmmmm. Don't suppose you're having any feasts or anything in February, are you? I'm visiting my dad on the Gold Coast :smallwink: On the other hand, I wouldn't have even my medievalish dress, much less anything actually Period...

Spiryt
2007-12-24, 04:33 PM
I know I've seen this before. Is it famous, or have you posted it before or something?

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawa_coat_of_arms)
Also in polish (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawicz_%28herb_szlachecki%29)

I knew that Dragonprime can speak polish and Metal Head is his cousin, but now they appear to be polish nobles. Strange.

AslanCross
2007-12-24, 08:18 PM
This (http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.c/Origin.SP/qx/Flores-coat-arms.htm) is the coat of arms that matches my surname. I highly doubt it's related to my family in any way, since the Hispanic surnames we have in this country were given to us by the conquistadors when they wanted to stamp out our native culture. As far as I can tell, the only people who retained their ethnic surnames were the royal families.

Extra_Crispy
2007-12-25, 06:11 AM
For the longest time I have not been able to find a family coat of arms. The name does not exist in any books, companies libraries, or web pages. Finally one year at a renaissance festival they said that probably someone with one part of the name married someone with the other and got my last name. They were able to provide a generic coat for part of the last name and it is a scyth on and yellow field. Basically farmers or possibly the mayer/headman of a farming village.

Hell Puppi
2007-12-27, 03:22 AM
My family crest is pretty cool- a red drake over a globe on a white background.

I've made quite a few customs crests for friends who are in the SCA, and sometimes it's pretty hard when they want 80 bajillion things and you have to stick by the rules. Ugh.
I like mine. White wolf on blue background. Over and done :smalltongue:

Danzaver
2007-12-27, 08:15 PM
My family crest is pretty cool- a red drake over a globe on a white background.

I've made quite a few customs crests for friends who are in the SCA, and sometimes it's pretty hard when they want 80 bajillion things and you have to stick by the rules. Ugh.
I like mine. White wolf on blue background. Over and done :smalltongue:

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. "I want a book, with a chain, over a goblet, with a dragon, bisected by an embattled line, holding a sword, and I want a crown". At least I can always remind them that in the 14th Century, which we re-enact (specifically 55 years - 1360 to 1415), everybody had SIMPLE heraldries.

herrhauptmann
2008-04-22, 02:18 AM
My stepfathers coat of arms includes the wing of a coo-coo bird.
Forget what my own has, though the crest is a winged chalice.