PDA

View Full Version : ADOM help

Myatar_Panwar
2007-12-20, 09:28 PM
First, for those of you who don't know, ADOM is a free Rogue-like game (RPG type game where you only get 1 life ever, like NET HACK) that can be downloaded here: http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3

Now, for those who have played it, I need help. Note that I am using version adom_winbeta4.zip. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to use commands that feature the backslash ( \ ) as the first part. Every time I try and do something like Invoke Mindcraft ( activated by putting in \Ci ), it just automatically assumes that I am trying to use a corruption power, because \ is the first thing I put in, and \ by itself is used for corruption powers....

Any help would be appreciated. :smallsmile:

JellyPooga
2007-12-20, 09:50 PM
\Ci = hold Ctrl and hit i

Myatar_Panwar
2007-12-20, 09:55 PM
Oh wow, thanks. I had no idea \C stood for Ctrl :smallbiggrin:

JellyPooga
2007-12-20, 10:01 PM
Yeah, it took me a while to work it out...I resorted to hitting every key on the keyboard whilst holding shift, ctrl, alt or a combination of all three to work out all the controls for ADOM. It probably says something about the annotation in the manual somewhere, but I never bothered reading all of it...

Myatar_Panwar
2007-12-22, 05:04 PM
Hrm, anyone know how to target yourself to use healing spells, etc? I cant seem to find it on the key bindings...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-22, 05:14 PM
If it's anything like Nethack, give up now. Just quit while you're sane.

****ing fire ants.

jamroar
2007-12-22, 05:26 PM
Hrm, anyone know how to target yourself to use healing spells, etc? I cant seem to find it on the key bindings...

I think it's enter '5' as the target direction when casting a spell that can target yourself?

Raiser Blade
2007-12-22, 05:40 PM
I still haven't beat nethack.

I always starve to death or something. :smallsigh:

Maroon
2007-12-22, 05:48 PM
What a coincidence, I only just tried to play again today. I got killed a few minutes into the game (I think I managed to wipe my face once), but I'm going to try again soon. I love these party-of-one type RPGs, even when I suck at it.

JellyPooga
2007-12-22, 06:28 PM
I think it's enter '5' as the target direction when casting a spell that can target yourself?

Spot on. Same goes for any spell you want to target on yourself.

JMobius
2007-12-22, 11:54 PM
ADOM is probably my favorite roguelike. :)

Its a shame that its development seems to have stalled. That JADE is proving vaporware is also very disappointing.

Tengu
2007-12-23, 01:59 AM
If it's anything like Nethack, give up now. Just quit while you're sane.

****ing fire ants.

It's not like Nethack. It's much better!

To start with, all the monsters have a description, there are outdoors and quests - the game has much more fluff.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-23, 02:26 AM
Are hive-minded insects still the leading cause of death? How about slipping while trying to mount your Saddled Pony? Cursed Rings of Levitation that render you unable to go up or down stairs, trapping you for eternity?

Okay, that last one was me being a dumbass.

Pronounceable
2007-12-23, 02:52 AM
Nope, the leading cause of death is monster experience (more # killed, stronger spawns) coupled with ****ing summoners. Or stupidly dallying in the Small Cave. Or not watching where you step and getting sacrificed by some random goblinoid. Or doors exploding in your face.

There is a guaranteed ant lair and beehive in the first quest dungeon however.

Damnation, I think I'm gonna fire up ADOM again.

JMobius
2007-12-23, 02:59 AM
All my characters must make their debut as adventurers in the small cave, and the dungeon below. The properties of the small cave and the tendency towards out of depthness in the dungeon are my two leading causes of death.

Natural selection, of course, applies. Those characters that make it through that rarely have much of a problem for the rest of the game (save perhaps for the temples...).

JellyPooga
2007-12-23, 08:52 AM
I always wanted him to finish developing the pen-and-paper game that he was doing, based on ADOM...but he seemed to have given that up about 7 years ago...:smallfrown:

Maroon
2007-12-26, 06:32 AM
Wow, I ended two sessions without dying.

Also, some questions... how do you sell loot and equip items? It's not in the keymap file, does that mean you can't?

cloudy2
2007-12-26, 11:42 AM
Wow, I ended two sessions without dying.

Also, some questions... how do you sell loot and equip items? It's not in the keymap file, does that mean you can't?

You sell loot by 'd'ropping it in a shop, and equip items with the letter of the inventory slot you want to equip (open your inventory, each slot is labeled with a letter somewhere on the left side.)

JMobius
2007-12-26, 11:59 AM
I swear I posted a response to that question...

Regardless, congratulations on getting that far without so much as manipulating your equipment. Most character classes are heavily dependent upon proper item use, so learning to make good selections will increase your survivability immensely. :)

cloudy2
2007-12-26, 12:49 PM
I'm curious, has anyone here actually won ADOM? The farthest I've gotten is to die via cat lord. The character in question (drake paladin) had killed 15 cave lions, 18 cave tigers, and 8 wild cats.

JMobius
2007-12-26, 01:53 PM
I've won the game about five times or so normally. I've tried for an ultra ending many times, but have always fallen short. One character, a wizard, perished at the final fight. The second, a fighter, died while I was absentmindedly slaughtering monsters in a high generation area in order to gain some XP while I waited for an amulet of order to do its work. I had a sudden premonition that I might need an amulet of petrification resistance, but for some reason I chose to ignore it... about ten seconds later, a gorgon showed up, somehow managed to hit me with its petrification breath despite a truly insane DV, and therefore I ended up a very well equipped statue.

JMobius
2007-12-27, 05:37 PM
Dude, the website has finally been updated. Only took a year.

Apparently a JADE beta release is on the horizon. Having seen some of the early screenshots, that is seriously cool news. :)