PDA

View Full Version : Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adept [Prestige Class]

Caros
2007-12-21, 12:17 AM
Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu

A sword is nothing but a weapon, and Kenjitsu is nothing but a means to kill. This truth cannot be changed by a beautiful words or false pretensions. To slay one to protect the other, to kill one so another can live, this is the reality of Kenjitsu. - Hiko Seijuro XIII

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu, developed in ancient times by the original Hiko Seijuro, the supposed ultimate in swordsmanship. Challenged but unbroken during its appearances in the world, it pits one against many for a philosophy of protecting those of the world.

Only one in a generation is chosen to learn such secretive techniques, charged with wielding thier blade for the good of all.

Hit Die
d10

Requirements
To qualify to become to become a Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adept, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Martial Lore 10 ranks. Jump 5 ranks.
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana), Weapon Focus (Katana), Weapon Finess
Special: Must be selected by the current Hiko Seijuro to undergo training in the style.

Class Skills

The Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adept class skills (and the ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Martial Lore (Int)

Skill points at each leve: 2 + Int Modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Intellegent Strike (Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu.), Prestige Disipline (Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu), Weapon Finess (Katana)

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Fast Movement +10ft, Quick Draw.

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Evasion

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Fast Movement +20ft

5th|
+5|
1|
+4|
+1|Uncanny Dodge

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2|Fast Movement +30ft

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved Evasion

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2|Fast Movement+40ft

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3|Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Succession

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3|Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Master, Act of will, Fast Movement +50ft. [/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adepts Gain no new proficiencies.

Manuvers Known: You gain Two Manuvers known upon entry, and one every level there after. Prestige Manuvers can be selected based on your level in the class. (Thus a third level Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adept could select any Prestige Manuver of third level or under.

If you have any other Martial adept classes, you can instead select a new manuver from one of the disciplines you had access to. Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adepts count as one level lower for purposes of determining what manuvers they have access to. (Thus a 5th level Warblade, 6th level Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adept would have an initiator level of 10, and be able to select 5th level manuvers in place of a prestige Manuver.)

Manuvers Readied: You can ready two manuvers at first level and one additional at every level thereafter. Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu adepts prepare and refresh Prestige Manuvers as a warblade. Any other Manuvers are prepared and added to the class list of the base class.

Stances Known: You gain access to two stances at level one, and one additional at third and every 3rd level thereafter (3rd, 6th, 9th.)

Prestige Disipline: You gain access to the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Prestige Disipline. These new Manuvers are not gained automatically upon level up, and you must instead return between levels to your master and have him demonstrate the new Manuver or stance.

Intellegent Strike (Ex): You can add your intellegence modifier as a bonus on damage rolls whenever you execute a Hiten Mitsurugi Manuver.

Weapon Finess (Katana): You can use weapon finess while weilding a Katana in one hand.

Fast Movement (Ex): Your base land speed increases by 10 feet. This Bonus increases by an additional 10 feet at every even level.

Quick Draw: (Ex) You gain Quick Draw as a bonus feat.

Evasion (Ex): At third level, you can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If you make a successful Reflex Saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, you instead take no damage. Evasion can only be used if you are wearing light armor or no armor. If you are helpless, you do not gain the benefit of Evasion.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th, level you gain the ability to react to danger before your senses would normally allow you to do so. You retain our dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if you are caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. Howerver, you still lose your Dexterity bonus to AC if you are immobilized.

If you already have uncanny dodge from a different class, you automatically get improved uncanny dodge.

Improve Evasion (Ex): From 7th level on, you gain the benefit of improved evasion. You still take no damage if you make a successful Reflex save against an attack, and even if you fail, the Reflex save, you take only half damage from the attack. If you are helpless you do not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Succession (Ex): At 9th level, you gain the ability to take the first Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu succession technique, Kuzu Ryu Sen.

Act of Will: (Ex) At 10th level, you gain the ability to temporarily enter two stances at once. At any time you can spend a swift action to enter a new stance without leaving your current. This state can be held for one round, at which point you end up in your 'new' stance.

Any strikes executed while utilizing two stances will cause you to become fatigued. Doing so again will cause exaustion, and doing so a third time will cause unconciousness 1d4 rounds after the strike is executed.

Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Master (Ex): At 10th level, you are given the oppertunity to become Master of Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. To do so you must meet the requirements to learn Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki. You must then spend a full day in contemplation. At the end of each day you may attempt a DC 35 Martial lore check, at the cost of 500 xp. Success on this check indicates you have learned the technique.

The succession technique must then be used to defeat the Kuzu Ryu Sen of the current master. Death of the current master promotes the character to Master, allowing them to take the name and cloak of Hiko Seijuro, the latter being an artifact.

Finally, the name of the class changes to "Master of Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu."

Caros
2007-12-21, 12:18 AM
Alright. The above is the base interpretation of the class that I'm going to be working on for the next little bit.

Its all open to interpretation and suggestion. A lot of the mechanics I adhoc'ed on the spot simply because I couldn't find ways to make them work with any other way. I do appreciate suggestions.

So whats to come? Well beyond the fact that I've got a whole horde of Kenshin based classes (Enishi's Watoujutsu, Saito's Gatotsu fetish...) I've got to finish this one.

Right now I'm looking at about 6 stances, and something like 14-18 manuvers (including boosts). Give a decent selection so that not everyone who plays this class ends up looking exactly the same.

One note on the manuvers and stances to help you get an idea of this class overall. They'll be a tad more powerful than traditional book of nice swords manuvers and stances. This is to counter-act the fact that you only get one disipline. Only slightly tho!

But thats tomorrow, frankly I've been working on the writeup for ages, I want a break ^_^;

Yami
2007-12-21, 12:38 AM
A minor nitpick, but you listed Weapon finesse as both a requirement, and first level benefit.

I also think it's a bit overpowered, with a bonus at every level as well as manuevers at every level, but then that might work better with your campaigns. Also, I see no mention of how this class is supposed to regain manuevers.

Otherwise not bad at all.

Caros
2007-12-21, 12:44 AM
Weapon finess is listed because the benefit is that you can use it with a weapon that is not normally finessable.

Not actually that many abilities (When you ignore fast movement) The class gets "Evasion, Improved Evasion, Uncanny dodge, Intellegent strike, Act of Will, and the weapon finess."

The ninth level ability, for example, is there only to remove the limiter from the Succession techniques (Which is there to keep people from taking a one level dip, then gaining the Manuvers through feats.)

Its about on par with Eternal Champion from Book of nine, which is what I used as my balance point *Shrugs meekly* First thing on the chopping block is Improved evasion.

And the Recover section is under manuvers readied.

Yami
2007-12-21, 04:02 AM
Oh. Gave it another go through, noting the parts you pointed out and this does indeed look solid. I've always felt speed boosts were a very worthwhile bonus, but looking at it from a 'it's no evasion' perspective, I'd have to say I like it.

And what's worst, I know a scout I'd love to try throwing it on.

Caros
2007-12-21, 01:59 PM
*Laugh* Glad to know you think so. It still needs a bunch of touch ups (Most notably, once manuvers get put in I'll probably need to trim something, but we'll see.

Skirmish was one of the things I had in mind while designing the class as a possible entry (Though you get into it much later than most.) Indeed, one of the stances I'm working on grants 1d6 skirmish.

I think the biggest problem I had designing this class actually comes in that it breaks the flavor of its own source. The Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu Adept is not really supposed to leave training till they're finished. Still, with some tinkering such as "Your master gives you a quest" Its not unreasonable =)

Manuvers will come up in part today. Gonna take a break and play portal then come back refreshed most likely.