PDA

View Full Version : Anime and Arcane Magic

Xefas
2007-12-21, 04:24 AM
While it has been this way since the very beginning, only now have people been enlightened to the fact that D&D can replicate certain kinds of anime.

Yes, while Tome of Battle can give you a Rurouni Kenshin style swordsman, it doesn't actually do much else. No, the real shounen fighting anime flavor lies within the good ol' arcane spellcasting that is toted around as being "classic".

Really, if you changed all the Tome of Battle maneuvers names to "Smacks Really Hard", and "Projects Monk-like Ki Through his Blade", no one would have batted an eye. It's the names, folks.

So, now, presenting the "Change the Names of all Arcane Spells into Fighting Anime Technique Names" thread. Post yours, and I'll put it up here in this post. I'll start us off with some.

(All those I started with are taken directly from Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, and in one case, Naruto. Bonus points if you can get the name directly from an anime)

1st Level
Renzoku Energy Dan (Magic Missile)
Wolf Fang Fist (Shocking Grasp)
Kyodaika (Enlarge Person)
Mangekyou Sharingan (Power Word: Pain)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster I)

2nd Level
*Spirit Bomb (Flaming Sphere)
Continuous Die Die Beam (Scorching Ray)
Bunshin no Jutsu (Mirror Image)
Byaakugan (See Invisiblity)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster II)
Henge no Jutsu (Alter Self)

3rd Level
**Spirit Bomb (Fireball)
Kamehameha (Lightning Bolt)
Ki Flight (Fly)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster III)
Kai (Dispel Magic)

4th Level
Imprisonment Ball (Resilient Sphere)
Zanzoken (Dimension Door)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster IV)

5th Level
Change Beam (Baleful Polymorph)
Instant Transmission (Teleport)
Greater Ki Flight (Overland Flight)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster V)
Shinrenshan no Jutsu (Dominate Person)

6th Level
Kaioken (Transformation)
Big Bang Attack (Disintegrate)
Sharingan (True Seeing)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster VI)
Kawarimi no Jutsu (Mislead)

7th Level
Greater Instant Transmission (Greater Teleport)
Janemba Portal (Spell Turning)
Death Beam (Finger of Death)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster VII)

8th Level
Solar Flare (Sunburst)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster VIII)

9th Level
Guldo's Time Freeze (Time Stop)
Za Warudo (Time Stop)
Kikyoken (Imprisonment)
Kuchiose no Jutsu (Summon Monster IX)

*=Yamucha Version
**=Goku Version

Roderick_BR
2007-12-21, 06:06 AM
Lol. That's awesome. My next wizard will shout these names when he casts spells :smallbiggrin:

I remember a friend that played Magic the Gathering and MagiNation talking like those guys from Yugioh. The others players hated it :smallamused:

Yami
2007-12-21, 06:15 AM
Wait, so you haven't been yelling Hadoken when casting orb of fire?

Or what about 'flare carrot' magic missles?

Ah, I kinda already went through this phase, but I do whole-heartily aprove of it, I'd just suggest different anime to grab your spell names from.

Khanderas
2007-12-21, 06:19 AM
I demand more Ranma½ in this group. Specifically Ryougas Baktusai Tenketsy.
(sp) x 2

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 06:23 AM
Hmm.

Sharingan (True Seeing)
Byaakugan (See Invisiblity)
Mangekyou Sharningan (...Power Word: Pain?)
Rasengan (Shocking Grasp, True Strike?)

J.Gellert
2007-12-21, 06:27 AM
Many characters in Naruto can be directly translated as wizards - especially the most powerful ones. Orochimaru/Jiraiya/Itachi only seem to fight with spells, for example. A friend of mine has said that Psionics are too anime; but as far as Naruto characters are concerned, they lock their hands in seals (somatic component), and often vocalize the words (verbal component), or use items and often their blood (material component), and all that just yells "Wizards!" or "Wizards with monk levels!".

Reinboom
2007-12-21, 06:49 AM
Many characters in Naruto can be directly translated as wizards - especially the most powerful ones. Orochimaru/Jiraiya/Itachi only seem to fight with spells, for example. A friend of mine has said that Psionics are too anime; but as far as Naruto characters are concerned, they lock their hands in seals (somatic component), and often vocalize the words (verbal component), or use items and often their blood (material component), and all that just yells "Wizards!" or "Wizards with monk levels!".

This makes me want to make a Monk // Wizard prestige class... considered some of the worst and some of the best. Presented to you, for your anime pleasure.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-12-21, 07:00 AM
This makes me want to make a Monk // Wizard prestige class... considered some of the worst and some of the best. Presented to you, for your anime pleasure.

You, uh, mean the Enlightened Fist from Complete Arcane?

Reinboom
2007-12-21, 07:13 AM
You, uh, mean the Enlightened Fist from Complete Arcane?

Ah, sorry, I am coming into these anime debates with complete sarcasm - and wasn't actually intending on trying to (re)write the prestige class. That wasn't meant to be serious.
Yes, I know of the enlightened fist, though I do admit to not have been thinking of it at the time. :smallredface:

geek_2049
2007-12-21, 07:42 AM
Naruto
Kuchiose no Jutsu-Summon Animal x

henge no jutsu- alter self

bunshin- mislead

kai- dispel magic

shinrenshan no jutsu- dominate person

DBZ
SSJ-Tenser's Transformation

Armads
2007-12-21, 07:51 AM
Isn't Bunshin more of Mirror Image than Mislead?

bluish_wolf
2007-12-21, 08:08 AM
Guldo's Time Freeze (Time Stop)

Guldo's Time Freeze? I would rather go with, Za Warudo! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbArvIqZzkI)

Khanderas
2007-12-21, 08:23 AM
Isn't Bunshin more of Mirror Image than Mislead?
I see what you mean, but I'd save mirror image for Shadow clones.
(I think Bunshin is that thing when they replace themselves with a log)
The shadowclones most anyone can do that is. Not the Naruto forbidden tech thing he learns in the first 2-3 episodes where the copies are real.

bluish_wolf
2007-12-21, 08:33 AM
The shadowclones most anyone can do that is. Not the Naruto forbidden tech thing he learns in the first 2-3 episodes where the copies are real.

No, that's Kawarimi. Bunshin is when you make images of yourself.

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 10:01 AM

As bluish_wolf has said: there's Kawarimi no Jutsu, the replacement technique where you swap yourself out for some other object; Bunshin no Jutsu, the low-power clone technique which creates illusionary copies who can't attack themselves; and Kage Bunshin no Jutsu, the shadow clone technique, where the copies are capable of attacking. The last is the one Naruto learns in the first episode, the high-powered one.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-21, 02:50 PM
I am totally yoinking all this for the Eberron with Giant Robots game.

Solo
2007-12-21, 02:53 PM
This... is... MADNESS!

Serenity
2007-12-21, 05:03 PM
Madness? THIS! IS! TOO ANIME!

The_Shaman
2007-12-21, 09:15 PM
I was thinking of statting the Laguna Blade from Slayers, but while the Black Blade of Disaster from MoFaerun one does an okay job representing the rift, I can't imagine the LB being wielded separately... IIRC there was a wu jen spell along similar lines in CArcana but I don't think it fit quite well.

Randalor
2007-12-21, 10:43 PM
The sad part for me was taht the first anime-inspired spell woud be replacing fireball with... fireball >_> *Slayers, Lina's trademark spell* Just make the strength of it equal to how long the person draws out the name :smalltongue: