PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

kentma57
2007-12-21, 08:59 AM
I have a warforged level 3 fighter level 2 arteficer, I have standard gold for 5th level and I need to decide how to spend my craft points and my gold.
Any ideas?

ps: normaly I would figure this out myself but I only have one day to finish it!!!

Nebo_
2007-12-21, 09:18 AM
The first thing you should do is tell us your build and what you already have. The next thing you should do it get rid of that odd fighter level and replace it with something worthwhile.

kentma57
2007-12-21, 01:49 PM
It is a low magic campaign no more than half my levels cam be caster(or arteficer) so it is not a fighter dip but part of the build.

Thinker
2007-12-21, 01:54 PM
Can you replace them with Barbarian (or at least that one level) instead?

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-21, 02:01 PM
What Nebo_ said...stats, feats, etc...

Also...for the uninitiated...what the hell are craft points? Is it the same as what is in UA? Or is this some Articifer stuff?

Also...has your character already been set in stone? Or are some of the aspects capable of being changed if they don't suit your actual purpose as well as something else. (if rogue works better...who knows)

What is your character's purpose anyways? What do you want them to do (role in party)?

What suppliments are you capable of drawing from? (does us no good to pick something out of the MIC if you don't have it or your DM won't allow it)

What items are available/restricted? Have you spent money on gear yet? If so...what is it?

All this is very important to know to help you.

fendrin
2007-12-21, 02:06 PM
It is a low magic campaign no more than half my levels cam be caster(or arteficer) so it is not a fighter dip but part of the build.

In other words, He;s planning on taking fighter 4 eventually.

Optimization wise, I'm still with Nebo_ on that, though. Fighter past 2 is about as non-optimal as you can get. Unless, of course, you still face multi-class exp penalties... Still, you might want to consider being an Artificer 3/Fighter 2, if you can.

Anyways, back on topic:
As a fighter, a magic weapon is top priority. Second, get your body enchanted as armor.

As an artificer, for the love of sanity, get an item that gives a bonus to UMD. You need it. Even with a good CHA (which , as a WF, you probably don't have) a low level artificer is extremely vulnerable to failing UMD checks. If your DM won't let you buy one, make one as soon as you get Craft Wondrous Items (Artificer 3, IIRC).

Tempest Fennac
2007-12-21, 02:11 PM
Craft points are used instead of XPs for making items, but you only get so many of them at each level and any which are't spent before you level up are lost as opposed to being added to the points you get from levelling up. Page 4 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf gives a list of how many points you have at each level.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-21, 02:19 PM
ok...so like the UA rules...so...how many craft points are we talking here...just the ones from being 5th level? Or does he get a chance to spend the pints form 1-4 retroactively? I am assuming:

articifer/fighter/articifer/fighter/fighter progression at least? How many craft points would that net at each level and what options would you have?

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-21, 02:26 PM
Craft points are used instead of XPs for making items, but you only get so many of them at each level and any which are't spent before you level up are lost as opposed to being added to the points you get from levelling up. Page 4 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf gives a list of how many points you have at each level.

wow...that is a neat PDF...it has everything in it...cool, thanks.

fendrin
2007-12-21, 02:26 PM
ok...so like the UA rules...so...how many craft points are we talking here...just the ones from being 5th level? Or does he get a chance to spend the pints form 1-4 retroactively? I am assuming:

articifer/fighter/articifer/fighter/fighter progression at least? How many craft points would that net at each level and what options would you have?

No, it's an artificer specific mechanic. When he takes the artificer levels are irrelevant.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-21, 02:29 PM
No, it's an artificer specific mechanic. When he takes the artificer levels are irrelevant.

oh, so...20 pts. for level 1 and 40pts for level 2?

each point is equivalent to 1 xp?

Telonius
2007-12-21, 02:32 PM
The makeup of the rest of the group could be important, too. Is there an arcane caster and a divine caster in the group? Any other Artificers? Are you supposed to be the main melee combatant, or will you be a gish to 20?

Without that kind of information, I can only give you general advice. From my experience, the biggest problem Warforged are going to run into is healing. To a Cleric, you are a black pit of healing drainage. Your levels of Artificer will go a long way to help that. Don't waste your craft points on potions, though. Scrolls are more efficient; wands, more efficient yet. Unfortunately you won't be able to get a free Craft Wand until Artificer 6 (or get it by Artificer 5 if you spend a feat).

An important thing for any build is to start planning for the future. If you're supposed to be the main melee combatant, I would suggest only taking a couple more levels of Artificer, then going Fighter for the rest.

If you're supposed to be the item factory, that's okay too, but you need to plan now. If your DM will allow it, Races of Eberron has Warforged Artificer substitution levels. Look into this, especially for the "Tools of War" and "Infuse self" abilities. This will come in very, very handy.