PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Activision.

lumberofdabeast
2007-12-21, 11:01 AM
To you, the forumgoers here at Giant in the Playground:

Odds are, you already know about Guitar Hero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_Hero_III:_Legends_of_Rock) and Rock Band (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_%28video_game%29), so I'm gonna skip over the basic introductions to each. The important part is, Activision recently acquired Red Octane, meaning that it got the Guitar Hero franchise in the process; Harmonix, on the other hand, joined up with MTV Games to make Rock Band. I got Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, and thought it was a terrible game, especially in comparison to Guitar Hero II. But that's all right, Harmonix had nothing to do with that dung pile, and surely Rock Band was going to be better. And, indeed, it was. And all was well for a time.

Eventually, though, it surfaced that the PS3 Gibson Les Paul guitar controller that came with Guitar Hero III was incompatible with the PS3 version of Rock Band. Harmonix, feeling that guitar controllers should be an industry standard, made a patch to fix this, even though it meant they would sell less of their own Fender Stratocaster guitar controller down the line. It was supposed to be out some time ago. But it has yet to be released. Why? Because Activision blocked it, refusing to allow it to be released until Harmonix paid them an undisclosed sum of money. Even though they have no real legal right to do so, Sony is backing them up nonetheless, possibly out of fear of getting sued by Activision.

Let me reiterate that.

Activision is charging Harmonix for the release of a patch that Harmonix made for Harmonix's game that would let Activision's guitar controller work with Harmonix's game.

This is clearly one of the most asinine decisions Activision has ever made, and frankly, even though I have the 360 version of the game and am thus unaffected by this problem, I won't stand for it. And neither should you. Which is why I ask you to do three things today.

1) Let Activision know that you're unhappy with their decisions. Sign this online petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ps3gtr&1) showing your displeasure with Activision for blocking Harmonix's patch out of shortsighted corporate greed. Email Activision, or write them letters.

2) Stop buying Activision products. No more Call of Duty, no more Tony Hawk, no more Guitar Hero. Blizzard and Activision are merging; cancel your WoW subscription, and as hard as this may be, ignore StarCraft II. Activision may ignore the petition, but they won't ignore a substantial loss of income; but they won't have the substantial loss of income unless you refuse to buy their products.

3) Spread the word! Send this message, however you choose to word it, to the other forums that you visit, as well as any mailing lists you're a part of. Tell your gamer friends and family to stop supporting Activision. Let everyone know.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you join our cause.

Jonathon Hodges
Known on the GiantITP forums as lumberofdabeast

Jibar
2007-12-21, 01:15 PM
Congratulations sir, on not understanding the internet.
This won't work.
The kind of people who care about this are the same people who will spend most their time disconnected from society via the internet, while the people who can do anything about it are the ones who are connected to society yet pay no attention to the internet.
You want a boycott, you've got to actually get the media in on this thing, not a bunch of geeks whose idea of a protest is crashing a forum somewhere.
News stations, news websites, something mass and something popular. Not a petition on a petition website.

Apart from all that, yeah, I agree this is really stupid, but that's the way stuff happens. Besides that, it's for the PS3 which strikes all my not-caring-areas in my brain.
(sorry if that came out a little mean. I'm not in a good mood as of posting)

Cristo Meyers
2007-12-21, 01:27 PM
Isn't Activision known for doing stupid stuff like this? They made like 3 or 4 of the stupidest moments in videogaming history.

Triaxx
2007-12-21, 03:07 PM
Ignore StarCraft 2? Hard? Right. Just like not finding a Wii is hard.

---

The only thing in that post that could remotely affect them is if you were to suddenly manage to make every person in the world who does play, stop playing WoW for one month. Blizzard would beat Activision until it released it.

I can only hope Activision holds out long enough for the world to come to it's senses and realize how completely stupid these types of games are.

GO Activision!!

Darth Mario
2007-12-21, 04:04 PM
Meh. Sure, it's idiotic for Activision, as letting Harmonix release the patch would only increase their own sales, but this really isn't boycott material. Boycott material is for when a company does something illegal/amoral/unethical. This is just stupid. (Not your post, Activision).

Now, when Sony started using rootkits as copy protection on their audio CDs and DVDs, THAT was boycott worthy. I still avoid Sony stuff whenever I can after that.

Om
2007-12-21, 06:53 PM
Activision is charging Harmonix for the release of a patch that Harmonix made for Harmonix's game that would let Activision's guitar controller work with Harmonix's game.You don't see the problem with that? Activision have every right to prevent their competitors releasing software that would affect or utilise their hardware. Now you and I might not agree with the actual decision but that is no reason to act as though Activision hired killers to whack the Harmonix development team. You've completely blown the affair out of all proportion.

Now the reasons why I will not be boycotting Activision are fairly straightforward:

1) I don't have either game and so have no direct interest in the matter. Seeing as there is nothing particular outrageous about the decision I also feel no need to take a sympathy stance

2) Boycotts don't work

3) I like Activision. They publish good games and are in general one of the better large publishers out there. Certainly when compared to the likes of EA. So no, I will not be broadcasting a call to arms against the one top publisher that actually churns out quality produce.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-21, 07:14 PM
2) Boycotts don't work

A bunch of people on an internet forum is unlikely to work, but boycotts have worked. They tend to just strain things though.

I like Activision. They publish good games and are in general one of the better large publishers out there. Certainly when compared to the likes of EA. So no, I will not be broadcasting a call to arms against the one top publisher that actually churns out quality produce.

I've probably enjoyed one or two Activision games.

Raistlin1040
2007-12-21, 07:26 PM
Wait...you thought GHIII was terrible? What's wrong with you?

On to finer points. Anyone who this affects was asking for it. Choosing Sony's expensive paperweight over the far supierior Xbox 360? For shame. :smalltongue:

Lord Shplane
2007-12-21, 08:47 PM

On to finer points. Anyone who this affects was asking for it. Choosing Sony's expensive paperweight over the far supierior Xbox 360? For shame. :smalltongue:

:furious:

[scrubbed] The PS3 at least actually WORKS, unlike the 360. And as for games? I, personally, prefer Resistance to Halo, could care less about Gears, and would rather have FFXIII than Blue Dragon. And I know a large number of people who feel the same way.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-21, 09:00 PM
[Scrubbed], everyone knows that PCs are better than any console.

:smalltongue:

Seriously though, enough with the console fighting. Neither of you is gonna change your opponent's mind, so why bother.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-21, 09:11 PM
[scrubbed], everyone knows that PCs are better than any console.

:smalltongue:

Seriously though, enough with the console fighting. Neither of you is gonna change your opponent's mind, so why bother.

Because if I didn't say it, people would start to think that the "lol, xbawks rawks and sony failzorz" crap was unanimous. And I just can't let that happen.

Also, PC is only superior for some games. Like ones that go with mouse/keyboard. Other than that, I like consoles.

Also, I like FPS's better with dual-analog. Not sure why, I just do.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-21, 09:32 PM
How, exactly, does Sony not have a legal right to determine what software is usable on their product? Also, thecontroller Harmonix wants peple to be able to use? Activision owns it. It thus would charge a licensing fee, or something similar, for its use. This is hardly unusual, at all. If you're going to boycott a corporation for wanting to make a profit, you'd best quit using the computer you posted this from.

Lord Shplane
2007-12-21, 09:44 PM
I agree that Activision is [scrubbed], but legally, they're in the right.

Darth Mario
2007-12-22, 12:02 AM
How, exactly, does Sony not have a legal right to determine what software is usable on their product?

I'm curious whether you are responding to me or to the XBox vs. PS3 guys. This statement doesn't seem to make sense with either comment/argument.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-22, 12:08 AM
From the first post, because I'm too lazy to use the quote button and edit it:
"Even though they have no real legal right to do so, Sony is backing them up nonetheless, possibly out of fear of getting sued by Activision."

Either Sony not having legal rights was stated, or poor pronoun use made such a meaning viable to take from the statement. If he was referring to Activision not really having legal rights, I addressed that issue, as well. Both of them can specify whatever they like about how their product is used.

Darth Mario
2007-12-22, 12:38 AM
Ahh. Blind and silly me.

Ok, looks like this has been established as a no-go. Let's let it die.

GOOS
2007-12-22, 12:11 PM
Sign my petition to free the patch that allows the Les Paul to be used with Rockband:

http://boycottactivitision.blogspot.com/

-GOOS

Raiser Blade
2007-12-22, 05:46 PM

On topic. Activision is being a jerk. However if we boycotted every company that was a jerk or had rediculous business practices we wouldn't buy from a lot of companies.

Moechi_Vill
2007-12-25, 02:24 AM
I'm not going to boycott Starcraft 2, but what they did seems quite mean. I signed it.

The PS3 is neat.