PDA

View Full Version : Fighter vs. Generic Warrior (variant, not NPC)

KoDT69
2007-12-21, 11:04 AM
Am I having a brain fart, or is the Generic Warrior variant class a better approach than using ther standard Fighter class?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#warrior

He loses heavy armor proficiency, but in return gets Craft plus 6 skills of the player's choice to be class skills. This solves that whole "Fighters are useless out of combat" argument since this option would allow a fighter with higher INT, WIS, or CHA scores to use Diplomacy, Gather Information, Appraise, Perform, or you know 12 gods forbid Use Magic Device! So many more ways to contribute! Am I crazy? :smallbiggrin:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-21, 11:05 AM
You're not. Since the Generic Warrior can even choose special class abilities, he crushes the fighter, as he has more options.

Tengu
2007-12-21, 11:06 AM
You're not supposed to use Generic Classes alongside normal DND classes, though. Either these or those.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-21, 11:11 AM
Yes. It's like the classic ToB vs. Normals argument, only instead of making a faceoff between a bazooka and an experimental handgun that kills anything it hits but almost always backfires, you're comparing a SMG vs the handgun.

KoDT69
2007-12-21, 11:16 AM
It says that you shouldn't , but that is only a suggestion. I believe the intent of that statement was to keep fairness to all players because the writers think that the generic classes in that section are weaker than their counterparts, which in the Expert and Spellcaster sections seems obviously true, but the Warrior is an exception. Since Fighters have no class features to be lost in the generic character building, it can only get better. Allowing the Fighter to have a few extra options can't hurt a darn thing. Spellcaster progression is slowed to Sorcerer speed, Rogues lose a lot of stuff, druids lose wildshape, etc... Fighters though, yeah you get it.

RMS Oceanic
2007-12-21, 11:22 AM
I think if you Gestalted Warrior//Expert, you'd be on to a winner.

mockingbyrd7
2007-12-21, 02:01 PM
WOW, that is freaking overpowered compared to the fighter. Any six skills? So he can take Disable Device and Open Locks and UMD? Pick your good save? Bonus feats come from the GENERAL POOL?

Losing heavy weapon proficiency and tower shields for all of that is a big-time bargain. But can it be played alongside the regular classes?

Zenos
2007-12-21, 02:06 PM
WOW, that is freaking overpowered compared to the fighter. Any six skills? So he can take Disable Device and Open Locks and UMD? Pick your good save? Bonus feats come from the GENERAL POOL?

Losing heavy weapon proficiency and tower shields for all of that is a big-time bargain. But can it be played alongside the regular classes?

Would this mean he can't walk about with his HMG or bazooka? Okay for me:smallbiggrin:

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 02:13 PM

It's a variant. It's not meant to be played alongside the other classes, no. You can do so, certainly, there's no rule to say otherwise, only a guideline; but you probably shouldn't.

Tengu
2007-12-21, 02:13 PM
WOW, that is freaking overpowered compared to the fighter.

Well... that's not saying much.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-21, 02:15 PM
I have always wanted to test out the fighting rogue style combatant...or esentially...the 'assasin'.

Ref as the good save,

1:sneak +2d6
2:evasion
4:uncanny dodge
6: favored enemy (blah? or some feat)
8: sneak attack +3d6
10: imp. Evasion
12:(from here you just think about either pestige or using more feats)
14:(favored enemy or feat)
16:(imp. sneak attack +4d6)
18:(favored enemy or feat)

Class skills would need to be tumble, move silently, hide, balance, jump/climb?, UMD, craft

Makes a great assassin...(favored enemy humans/elves/dwarves is fun) Even if not evil, the combination of the fighter's armor, and the rogues evasion and sneak attacks makes for a powerful combat build...you just need to rely on dex and mithril brestplate to get the job done...hopefully stuff enchanted for extra hiding and stealth.

SurlySeraph
2007-12-21, 02:30 PM
@^: That's what the variant class features in Unearthed Arcana are for. Try the Thug fighter variant, combined with the Sneak Attack Fighter variant further in (fighter gets +1d6 sneak attack in place of each of his normal bonus feats).

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-21, 03:39 PM
@^: That's what the variant class features in Unearthed Arcana are for. Try the Thug fighter variant, combined with the Sneak Attack Fighter variant further in (fighter gets +1d6 sneak attack in place of each of his normal bonus feats).

thug doesn't get hide or MS, and they don't get balance or tumbling either...urban tracking woul dbe neat...but otherwise it kinda blows. The Sneak attack thing is for the generic 'warrior' class which is what was being discussed.

Learnedguy
2007-12-21, 04:12 PM
Yes. It's like the classic ToB vs. Normals argument, only instead of making a faceoff between a bazooka and an experimental handgun that kills anything it hits but almost always backfires, you're comparing a SMG vs the handgun.

I'll go for the handgun. The handgun always wins:smallwink: