PDA

View Full Version : The Tomb of Horrors

Laurellien
2007-12-21, 03:58 PM
I am running the Tomb of Horrors soon, and I need to find out one thing.

How long does it take normally in hours?

Or rather, how long did it take you in hours?

Citizen Joe
2007-12-21, 04:28 PM
Well everything could end in 5 minutes if they pick the wrong entrance.

Laurellien
2007-12-21, 04:31 PM

They have multiple backup characters. I want to know how long it takes to get through the tomb, assuming a tpk or two and character deaths along the way.

ALOR
2007-12-21, 04:33 PM
They have multiple backup characters. I want to know how long it takes to get through the tomb, assuming a tpk or two and character deaths along the way.

it took us about 5 hours, however we managed to fly through it.

kingpain
2007-12-21, 04:34 PM
I've not played 3.5 version. 2E version...well...they gave up after the 3rd session.

Laurellien
2007-12-21, 04:39 PM
Is 9 hours good for an introductory session then?

ALOR
2007-12-21, 04:43 PM
Is 9 hours good for an introductory session then?

yeah I would say you can get it done, just keep them moving along

Citizen Joe
2007-12-21, 05:09 PM
Multiple characters eh? I would so totally abuse that...

I'd start with commoners and just touch everything and set off every trap I could find. When I die, I just come back as another commoner. Not sure what something is... I touch it... Ooops dead again... Get trapped someplace without dying... slit wrists... POOF! new character.

Brawls
2007-12-21, 05:13 PM

Been there, done that!:smallfurious: Still took about 45 minutes trying to weasle our way out of the collapsing false entrance.

Brawls

Kioran
2007-12-21, 05:16 PM

I'd start with commoners and just touch everything and set off every trap I could find. When I die, I just come back as another commoner. Not sure what something is... I touch it... Ooops dead again... Get trapped someplace without dying... slit wrists... POOF! new character.

That doesn´t make any sense, for two reasons:

- You´re assuming an infinite supply of replacements, but there´s no talk of an such thing. Multiple Replacements sounds somewhat finite to me.
- Why not take quality replacements? There´s no mention of commoners being any cheaper, so If you want to sacrifice people, pick Barbarian/Rangers or Monks, or maybe a Favored Soul self-buffed to the gills who heals after being damaged. They might survive a few traps.......

reorith
2007-12-21, 05:57 PM

there is an army of demons or something that repair and reset all the traps so your poor commoners would keep getting sliced on the first swinging blade trap.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-12-21, 08:51 PM
I'd agree that a range of 8 to 12 hours is not unreasonable. There's a lot of stuff in there, so very many of which can go horribly, horribly wrong.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-21, 10:12 PM
- Why not take quality replacements? There´s no mention of commoners being any cheaper, so If you want to sacrifice people, pick Barbarian/Rangers or Monks, or maybe a Favored Soul self-buffed to the gills who heals after being damaged. They might survive a few traps.......
How long does it take to make a fully thought out character that you fully intend to get killed for the sake of progress? Now how long does it take to make a level 0 commoner that has been mindblanked and hypnotised into thinking he's immortal? Let's see... AC 10, 4 hp, no weapons, name: Tommy

Edit: You know what... never mind being an actual character, just play a summoned creature.

reorith
2007-12-22, 12:58 AM
I'd agree that a range of 8 to 12 hours is not unreasonable. There's a lot of stuff in there, so very many of which can go horribly, horribly wrong.

or horribly horribly right. part of the fun is the danger and the risk of death with every step.

Adumbration
2007-12-22, 03:09 AM
When playing the Tomb, you really just need a good rogue that checks for traps every five feets. Then you only have to worry about the monsters.

Aquaseafoam
2007-12-22, 03:32 AM
How long does it take to make a fully thought out character that you fully intend to get killed for the sake of progress? Now how long does it take to make a level 0 commoner that has been mindblanked and hypnotised into thinking he's immortal? Let's see... AC 10, 4 hp, no weapons, name: Tommy

Edit: You know what... never mind being an actual character, just play a summoned creature.

Summon Elemental Reserve Feat. How has anyone not claimed that that feat is horrifically broken?