PDA

View Full Version : Belker's favorite enemies??

EricP
2007-12-21, 04:27 PM
Belker has been doing some primo damage for the length of this strip. Even before he got a level of barbarian, he was dealing huge amounts of damage to everything that came along. What the secret of his surprising power?? Power attack? He is weilding those 1d4s like they were 2d6s.(I assume they are small shortswords.) Being a halfling, my first thought was sneak attack and he is actually a multiclassed rogue, but that doesn't compute. He is always stated he's a ranger with a level (or two) in barbarian. Which leads me to the favorite enemies. A +4 or a +6 can really add up when you are two weapon fighting. But what are his favorite enemies?

I have my guesses, but I would like to hear what you think. (and since Giant doesn't like to post stats, this is all academic anyway) Who or what has he smacked the hardest? (and cite comic number if possible)

factotum
2007-12-21, 04:35 PM
I don't think you can derive anything from this. For instance, Belkar one-shotted a Wight in the current comic, but I find it incredibly unlikely that he has any type of undead as a favoured enemy when he finds it so unsatisfying to kill them. I think Belkar just one-hit-kills as required by the Power of Plot, not any sort of ability deriving from D&D rules.

NerfTW
2007-12-21, 04:37 PM
I figured it was those dang humans, lording thier tallness over everybody.

Jaysyn
2007-12-21, 04:37 PM
I'd bet my shoes that Goblinoids & Humans are 2 of his Favored Enemies. As for the Wights, maybe Thanh is a paladin & he's hooked the halfling up with a Bless Weapon spell off panel?

Neftren
2007-12-21, 04:38 PM
factotum is right.

Goblinoids are probably one of them, since Goblins, Hobgoblins and Kobolds appear throughout the campaign, although Belkar doesn't seem like one who hunts specific things... I think he just likes to go:

"Stabbity Death!"

and kill stuff. I mean, he's definitely Chaotic Evil, unless he had a sudden alignment change from Chaotic to Neutral or something.

Kaelaroth
2007-12-21, 04:39 PM
Hmmm..

Humans first. Followed by Goblinoids. Then Undead. Yes. I agree. With who? With me. Yes. :smallsmile:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-12-21, 04:59 PM
Favoured enemy: Things in front of me

Ceaon
2007-12-21, 05:05 PM
Belkar hates kobolds: that's why Yokyok was his 'evil' opposite; Yokyok was a kobold who hated halflings.
That's also why Belkar wants to kill the oracle. Or wait, the oracle was a girl. Or an elephant.
Meh.

So, I'd say humanoid (reptilian) is the highest (+6).
Followed by two favored enemies that could be anything, but probably humanoid (halflings) or other humanoids.
He doesn't favor undead; he has stated he doesn't like killing undead because they do not know fear.

Barbolanero
2007-12-21, 05:06 PM
And according to that, you should add, just simply add: anything.

reorith
2007-12-21, 05:12 PM
i'm guessing it is halflings. belkar seems like the kinda guy to pride in killing his own. plus didn't he mention how the other halflfings prevented him from stabbing them in the eye back in high school?

FujinAkari
2007-12-21, 05:19 PM
Belkar has Favored Enemy (Not Belkar)

Generic_PC
2007-12-21, 05:40 PM
Belkar has Favored Enemy (Not Belkar)

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! :biggrin:

Green-Shirt Q
2007-12-21, 05:48 PM
Seriously, if we were playing by nerdy, anal "must-have-only-rules-D&D-people-made-up-and-the-creative-author-can't-make-his-own-rules" rules, I would probably guess these.

First favoured enemy: Kobold. He seems to really hate them, which is probably Yikyik was a kobold.

Second favoured enemy: Giant. :belkar: "Ogres make a very satasfiying thump when they hit the ground." this type made Belkar volentarily do 2 missions.

Third favoured enemy: human.:smallfurious: EVERYBODY HATES HUMANS! Am I right everyone!

EricP
2007-12-21, 06:01 PM
Seriously, if we were playing by nerdy, anal "must-have-only-rules-D&D-people-made-up-and-the-creative-author-can't-make-his-own-rules" rules......

Giant has complete artistic license, of course, I just find it fun to speculate. As a DnDer, I tend to stat everything and everyone. In fact, most gamers I know have taken that "test" that stats themselves. "I am a NG gnome wizard" and whatnot. It's just for fun.

As many people have stated, it is hard to pick Belker's favorite enemies because he hates so many things: goblins, goblin ninjas, giants, humans, Roy, V, undead, Hinjo, paladins, YikYik.

I was thinking humans and goblins myself.

PhallicWarrior
2007-12-21, 06:11 PM
Favored Enemy (everything)

blademaster42
2007-12-21, 06:41 PM
Favoured enemy: Things in front of me

The problem with your theory is that it excludes things behind him.

Favored Enemy: Everything that isn't Belkar or whores.

Kish
2007-12-21, 07:18 PM
He is weilding those 1d4s like they were 2d6s.(I assume they are small shortswords.)
Daggers actually. (See the first strip.)

EricP
2007-12-21, 10:28 PM
Daggers actually. (See the first strip.)

I thought they were short swords, that shrunk to size small. If he is doing all that with just small size daggers, he IS THE SHOELESS GOD OF DEATH!

Favored Enemy: Everything that isn't Belkar or whores.

This is my favorite entry. :smallsmile:

blademaster42
2007-12-21, 10:37 PM
*Bows* Thank you, ah thank you.

no one special
2007-12-21, 11:27 PM
I thought they were short swords, that shrunk to size small. If he is doing all that with just small size daggers, he IS THE SHOELESS GOD OF DEATH!...

He's actually the "sexy shoeless god of war" and the "sexy shoeless god of cooking". I would make links to the strips where he mentioned that, but I'm too lazy to find them

no one special
2007-12-21, 11:29 PM
as for favorite enemies, there anything that can fear/scream in pain

Kish
2007-12-21, 11:38 PM
I thought they were short swords, that shrunk to size small.
Short swords wouldn't have been light for him in 3.0 edition, and he wouldn't have been upset at them shrinking if his weapon choice went from being suboptimal to being optimal instead of the other way around.

Corestimah
2007-12-22, 01:27 AM
Favored Enemy (everything)

I think that it would be a reasonable house rule to say that a ranger could have everything as a favored enemy by halving the bonus and eliminating one or more of the skills which gain the bonus, particularly Survival due to :belkar:'s overall inadequacy in that skill. A +3 to damage vs everything would suit :belkar: rather well. Alternatively, :belkar: could have also sacrificed his animal companion ability for some damage specialty ability to make him particularly deadly with the short sword/dagger. Regardless, I doubt that :belkar: has the standard ranger package regarding favored enemies and/or animal companions, and his lack in those areas could easily afford him his absurd ease in killing things.

Plus, you know, artistic license and all that:smallwink:

Alex Warlorn
2007-12-22, 05:48 AM
My money is on humanoids being his favored enemy.

Ancalagon
2007-12-22, 08:35 AM
1. Halflings
2. Humans
3. Elves
4. Anything else that lives.

Silver2195
2007-12-22, 09:42 AM
We know he hates kobolds because of his reaction to Yokyok. Humanoid (reptilian) is therefore probably his 1st favored enemy. His second is probably goblinoids because he causually talks about committing genocide against them in strip #7. I doubt his third is humans because he adventures with them. I'm guessing either giant or animal.

Ikialev
2007-12-22, 09:57 AM
Aren't his favrit enemies undead now?
He still got th MoJ.

Angel in Black
2007-12-22, 10:02 AM
Aren't his favrit enemies undead now?
He still got th MoJ.

We're talking about the Ranger class feature, Favored Enemy. It grants bonuses to certain skill checks, attack, and damage against certain types of creatures, picked by the player.

Ikialev
2007-12-22, 10:15 AM
Ow. Sry.

I still don't get 3 ed.

JaxGaret
2007-12-22, 11:14 AM
I think that it would be a reasonable house rule to say that a ranger could have everything as a favored enemy by halving the bonus and eliminating one or more of the skills which gain the bonus, particularly Survival due to :belkar:'s overall inadequacy in that skill. A +3 to damage vs everything would suit :belkar: rather well. Alternatively, :belkar: could have also sacrificed his animal companion ability for some damage specialty ability to make him particularly deadly with the short sword/dagger. Regardless, I doubt that :belkar: has the standard ranger package regarding favored enemies and/or animal companions, and his lack in those areas could easily afford him his absurd ease in killing things.

Plus, you know, artistic license and all that:smallwink:

This would be my guess.

Favored Enemy (Things I'm Attacking)

monty
2007-12-22, 11:17 AM
Perhaps Favored Enemy (sentient beings)? Rules out boring mindless undead and boring animals.

Kish
2007-12-22, 12:37 PM
Ow. Sry.

I still don't get 3 ed.
Favored enemies were in 2ed too. If you're still going on rangers all having attack bonuses against giants, you're on 1ed. And if the whole concept doesn't mean anything to you...you don't get D&D. :smalltongue:

Holammer
2007-12-22, 02:42 PM
Makes sense that Belkar's Favored Enemy should be human. I've always been under that impression myself.
Them hoomans are everywhere and god knows they're the badguys in 90% of the cases, even if they're just undead husks of their former human forms.

Rangers out there, do the right thing and choose human the first thing you do at level 1 :)

Ikialev
2007-12-22, 05:56 PM
@Kish: It MEAN something to me, but i don't know what. xD
Don't like rangers.
AND enlish language.
Ranger to łwca po polsku? xD

And, i don't spend much time on DD books. I'v got better thing to do.
Wtf is Trak0.

T.Titan
2007-12-22, 06:40 PM
1. Halflings
2. Humans
3. Elves
4. Anything else that lives.

No, #4 would be: Anything that feels fear... remember the Eye of Fear and Whatnot?!