PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a game for me

Jimp
2007-12-21, 05:21 PM
I'm in the mood for a new game, but I don't know which one to play.
I'm a fan of sandbox games and games that I can free roam in or explore.
Games I have at the moment that I play:
Morrowind
Oblivion
Planescape Torment
Need for Speed Underground 2 (the free roam mode is great)
X3: Reunion
Theme Hospital (fun fun)

Any suggestions?

Malic
2007-12-22, 11:37 PM
Get the Orange Box then buy Garry's Mod over steam. Best sandbox game...EVER...:smalltongue:

Gaelbert
2007-12-23, 12:03 AM
Knights of the Old Republic is an excellent RPG, granted, it does have a plot, but you can choose quite a few things in the plot and you can also do sidequests and the like for countless hours.
Freelancer is a sandbox, I've only played 10 or so hours of it I believe, but its good as well. And I think there are a lot of mods out there for it.

Zakama
2007-12-23, 01:48 AM
Spore, (http://www.spore.com/) when it comes out. The final phase of the game is an unending sandbox mode. It's to complicated to explain, I'll let their site and google do the talking.

Yami
2007-12-23, 02:15 AM
You seem to be low on the Strategy gaming but perhaps that is not your thing. I myself like to switch between FPS, RPG, and RTS games all the time.

Civ IV might be a good choice, as it allows for exploring and a variety of win scenarios, and fits firmly under the strategy genre.

Crackdown is one my friends enjoy. There is something of a plot, but if you avoid killing the important NPC's it's a rather decent sandbox shooter.

I'm afraid I'm not as much of a fan of sandbox games, so I fear I have little to offer you.

Castaras
2007-12-23, 04:36 AM
Dungeon Keeper II. Buggy, but a helluvalot of fun.

Spellforce - Awesome RPG/RTS blend.

Sacred Underworld - While I haven't played it much, I'm impressed by it so far. Pretty graphics, and you're free to do what you want - Killing monsters, doing quests, exploring (Looting the graves :smallbiggrin: ), and even doing the mainline quest.

Jibar
2007-12-23, 04:50 AM
Spore, (http://www.spore.com/) when it comes out. The final phase of the game is an unending sandbox mode. It's to complicated to explain, I'll let their site and google do the talking.

Dammit!
The first rule of Spore is you do not talk about Spore!
Everytime you do, the release date gets pushed back. :smallyuk:

Exachix
2007-12-23, 05:24 AM
Ob- oh wait...

Freelancer is a good space-age flight game... not even hard =D.
intrueging plot.. and you can 'sandbox' during it, or at the end.

Thief II rocks.
Thief III looks like it rocks more.

Might and Magic games...

JabberwockySupafly
2007-12-23, 06:33 AM
Fallout 2... Not massively sandbox, but nonetheless a great game with a good deal of freedom. it's available for about 10 bucks in the Fallout Anthology box set.

Lord Rocket
2007-12-23, 08:57 AM
Sod all that new-fangled sandbox crap. Play the original.

Well, a remake of the original, since you probably don't have a BBC Micro hanging around.

Oolite (http://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3708)

The Duskblade
2007-12-23, 09:31 AM
From your list I've gotta say Baldur's gate 2. It's sort of like Planescape with a much better combat engine. If you liked planescape you should like this. Ok it's not hugely open though you can make a fair few choices.

Dragor
2007-12-23, 09:56 AM
Dungeon Keeper II. Buggy, but a helluvalot of fun.

Quoted for truth.

"Your dungeon is at a slant; angry imps cannot play marbles." :smallbiggrin:

I also second Fallout II and Knights of the Old Republic. Garry's Mod, however, depends on your personal taste. It can be a lot of fun, but you have to quite inventive too, something which I lack.... so I had fun with it, but not as much as other people.

Jimp
2007-12-23, 10:33 AM
I've cleared BG2 and got sick of Freelancer, though I may revisit it. I went sandboxing mid-game but hit an 'unpassable game' point where I had to dock with what would have been a neutral station in the plot, but was red because I tended to blow their ships up and steal their stuff :smallbiggrin:
Thanks for the suggestions. I love Dungeon Keeper 1 but never checked out the sequal.

Castaras
2007-12-23, 12:03 PM
Quoted for truth.

"Your dungeon is at a slant; angry imps cannot play marbles." :smallbiggrin:

"Your creatures demand cable."
"One of your imps does a great impression of you. He can even do the ears."
"Your dungeon is full of yogurt."

etc.

I never got that quote though...Might have to try for it...

Lord_Butters_I
2007-12-23, 12:17 PM
GTA is a good sandbox series, my personal favorite being San Andraes, but Vice City and normal old GTA 3 are good too. Other than that, Crackdown is pretty good, and while Saint's Row is somewhat good the degree to which it rips off of GTA borders on plagerism.

Setra
2007-12-23, 12:51 PM
I'm gonna second Garry's Mod.

It's easily the sandiest of sandbox games/mods, allowing for more creativity than any other sandbox game/mod I've ever seen.

Where else can you build this? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5n9ZrYuHs)

Blayze
2007-12-23, 05:08 PM
"Your creatures demand cable."
"One of your imps does a great impression of you. He can even do the ears."
"Your dungeon is full of yogurt."

etc.

I never got that quote though...Might have to try for it...

I thought it was "Your dungeon is on an incline. Angry creatures cannot play marbles."

"Keeper, your dungeon is emptier than your head."
"Your Lair has been re-carpeted."
"Jackpot winner!"