PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Anime Arguments?

Laurellien
2007-12-21, 05:48 PM
Recently, this forum has been dominated by the arguments between people who say that D&D is becoming to anime, and those that say it is either a good thing or that it isn't happening. One thread may be fine, but quite frankly, it has gotten ridiculous, with old threads being replaced by new ones and good threads being hijacked.

The perfect example? The dumb arguments thread. Somebody derided those who see D&D as becoming too anime, and from there, the rest of the thread devolved into an argument about D&D and Anime.

I for one am SICK of this phenomenon. I would like to ultimately get the topic banned for a period of time, similar to katana topics which were banned on WotC forums for a while some time ago. Only after a few months cooling off will we be able to approach this topic sensibly again.

Post here if you support this campaign.

Down with this sort of thing!
(Careful Now)

MrNexx
2007-12-21, 05:52 PM
Realize that this board, like most, are fairly cyclical in their posting. Someone posts a thread, which develops into a conversation, which leads to ideas that need to be discussed further, or inspirations. Rather than derail the original thread, people create another thread to discuss related ideas.

Eventually, someone will bring up the "Batman Wizard" idea again, and we'll have another flood of posts talking about how to Batman your wizard, how other classes can be Batmaned, the inevitable fighter v. wizard thread, etc.

Tengu
2007-12-21, 05:57 PM
You know, the length of those threads shows that people clearly enjoy them. Nobody forces you to read them, it's not that they're all over the forums.

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 05:59 PM
It's a periodic argument that, just now, happens to have flared up in several threads independently. Indeed, part of my motivation in starting the "What does it mean" thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67281) was to siphon away the recurring "anime is a medium, not a genre" kerfluffle from other threads in the hopes of keeping it from derailing peripherally related discussions. It doesn't seem to have entirely worked, unfortunately...

But, no, I don't think a ban is called for. I would invite a voluntary measure: anyone about to post something like "such-and-such is too anime!", stop, think, and substitute a synonym for what you're actually saying: "such-and-such is too high-powered! it has too fantastical a flavour! I don't like seeing 'fighting' classes exhibit supernatural abilities!" or whatever. For my own part, I'm going to stop picking apart those statements outside the thread above. Maybe that will help tidy things up...

You know, the length of those threads shows that people clearly enjoy them. Nobody forces you to read them, it's not that they're all over the forums.

In fairness, it is annoying when multiple unrelated threads all devolve into the same tangential argument.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-21, 05:59 PM
I for one don't care about the subject, and wish it would stop, or at least contain itself to one thread instead of taking over the board. I know my stance, but know better than to seriously try and argue it.

It's getting as bad as "X vs. Sauron" in the Media section.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-21, 06:24 PM
It's like the Miko threads on the Comics board. Well, maybe not as bad. It's as bad as the alignment threads.

Tengu
2007-12-21, 06:31 PM
In fairness, it is annoying when multiple unrelated threads all devolve into the same tangential argument.

I wouldn't call them unrelated - maybe I'm not browsing the forums carefully enough, but all the topics where people are discussing DND and anime I've seen so far started as such, too. And there around 3 of them.

Spasticteapot
2007-12-21, 06:37 PM
Banning is likely overkill.

Ropleplaying systems may be predisposed towards a particular style of gaming, but the the important part is how the game is run. I once played in a high-tactics game of 2nd edition AD&D, and have heard of the Shadowrun gaming system being used to run Deadlands.

That said...I dislike anime. It's generally sexist, racist, and has both god-awful writing and crude animation. Having been persuaded to watch some Dragon Ball Z (this was when I was twelve, okay? I didn't know better!), I noticed an uncanny resemblance between "Little Sambo" and every black character on the screen.

Tengu
2007-12-21, 06:41 PM
That said...I dislike anime. It's generally sexist, racist, and has both god-awful writing and crude animation. Having been persuaded to watch some Dragon Ball Z (this was when I was twelve, okay? I didn't know better!), I noticed an uncanny resemblance between "Little Sambo" and every black character on the screen.

I can understand people who dislike all anime because something in people with large eyes just gives them the creeps, but that... you're just making generalisations over there, based on some bad shows you were unlucky to see. I haven't watched a sexist, racist anime with god-awful writing and crude animation in ages.

Yaki
2007-12-21, 06:44 PM
Anime Vs. Sauron

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 06:45 PM
Anime Vs. Sauron

Ah, but what do either of them think of Miko?

:smalleek: ZOMG! the MitD is Anime! :smalleek:

LibraryOgre
2007-12-21, 06:52 PM
Ropleplaying systems may be predisposed towards a particular style of gaming, but the the important part is how the game is run. I once played in a high-tactics game of 2nd edition AD&D, and have heard of the Shadowrun gaming system being used to run Deadlands.

Harlequin's Back... wow, the memories....

Yaki
2007-12-21, 06:53 PM
Ah, but what do either of them think of Miko?

:smalleek: ZOMG! the MitD is Anime! :smalleek:

WTF level 1 commoner is anime

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-12-21, 06:55 PM
Yes. Yes I am sick of anime arguments. In fact, it'd be safe to say I'm heartily sick of anime threads in general.

This post not in fact add anything to the thread but I make use of every opportunity I can to tick off the rabid fankids :smallamused:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-21, 06:59 PM
WTF level 1 commoner is anime

Yes and so is the house cat that tore his head off.

True, but it's really annoying when you have to hunt for interesting threads among ones you don't want to read and it's sad when such threads become popular when actually interesting ones die.

This thread is like posting an "I'm sick of verses threads" thread on the media forum.

Maybe we just need a board policy where only one thread is allowed per topic and anyone who starts there own thread just to make their own arguements more prominant will have their thread merged.

The other problem with this thread is that you just made another anime arguement thread.

Yaki
2007-12-21, 07:02 PM
WTF CW Samurai is anime!!!~

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 07:02 PM
The other problem with this thread is that you just made another anime arguement thread.

No he hasn't.

...And now we segue into a Monty Python sketch...

osyluth
2007-12-21, 07:04 PM
Hey look! Another anime thread! :wink:

Dairun Cates
2007-12-21, 07:04 PM

No. He's made another argument OVER anime arguments thread. It's still funny, but in a more meta-humor style.

Tengu
2007-12-21, 07:12 PM
I find meta-humour highly amusing.

I also think that derailing this thread into a MP sketch will be better than derailing it into an anime discussion - because I've seen too little MP references on these forums, lately.

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 07:27 PM
I also think that derailing this thread into a MP sketch will be better than derailing it into an anime discussion - because I've seen too little MP references on these forums, lately.

No it wouldn't! You're wrong and you're ugly too. And you can't even navigate a corridor.

horseboy
2007-12-21, 07:29 PM
Sounds to me like someone needs to go upstairs.

Yaki
2007-12-21, 07:32 PM
I find meta-humour highly amusing.

i took several metahumor feats. as opposed to fetahumor feats. i have extended humor, empowered humor, and richard simmons. i'm glad 4th edition is getting rid of vancian humor, seriously, it makes no sense. you tell a joke and it just erases from your brain for a day? that's ridiculous. you should be able to use the same joke several times per encounter as long as you have lulz points. and let's not even bring that anime book of nine lols into this situation. please, it's completely unrealistic. asian anime cartoon people aren't allowed to be funny. or effective in combat. they're only allowed to make $600 +2 masterwork video game consoles. and cw samurai. i'm not even going to fix that burger. in a few levels i might pick up some levels of the initiate of the sevenfold rofl. seriously guys, rofls as immediate actions??? TWO AT ONCE?

WAT

Lemur
2007-12-21, 08:00 PM
One of the threads got me thinking about how funny it would be to have an anime version of Tolkien's work. Frodo would always be ranting about how he'd never give up because everyone believes in him, Aragorn would shout all his attacks and be a moody loner, Gandalf would be a lecherous old man, Saruman would be a long, white haired pretty boy despite his age, Eowyn would be a tsundere (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere), Gollum would constantly say his name whenever he did anything (wait, he does that already), all the elves would have those huge bat ears...

Good times. Good times.

Anime Vs. Sauron

The wizard wins, because he is batman.

kamikasei
2007-12-21, 08:11 PM
One of the threads got me thinking about how funny it would be to have an anime version of Tolkien's work. Frodo would always be ranting about how he'd never give up because everyone believes in him, Aragorn would shout all his attacks and be a moody loner, Gandalf would be a lecherous old man, Saruman would be a long, white haired pretty boy despite his age, Eowyn would be a tsundere (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere), Gollum would constantly say his name whenever he did anything (wait, he does that already), all the elves would have those huge bat ears...

It's not the same plot, but conceptually that basically just sounds like every account I've heard of Slayers.

RTGoodman
2007-12-21, 08:58 PM
Maybe we just need a board policy where only one thread is allowed per topic and anyone who starts there own thread just to make their own arguements more prominant will have their thread merged.

Like, say, this one? :smallcool:

One Topic, One Thread
There should be, in most cases, one active thread for a specific topic. Please check and see if there is already an active thread (one that has been posted on in the last six weeks and is no further back than page 3) discussing a topic before posting a new one.

Cubey
2007-12-21, 09:25 PM

Allow me to continue this idea.
Sam would be a Battle Buttler (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BattleButler) who'd call refer to Frodo as "Frodo-sama", Merry and Pippin would have their roles reduces to Those Two Guys (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThoseTwoGuys), Legolas and Gimli would start as very minor villains who'd join the group after being defeated - I suggest a rough and jerkish (but with a heart of gold!) brigand leader for Gimli and an even-more-feminine-than-already gentleman thief for Legolas. Episodes should have names like "Showdown! Siege at Helm's Deep!" or "Beware Frodo! Spider in the dark, traitor in the dark!". Here are some snippets of the dialogue (please forgive me, they are both Aragorn-centric):

Eowyn: Hey, Aragorn-kun...
Aragorn: Huh?
Eowyn: So... what are you gonna do after this all is over?
Aragorn: Well, I got a girlfriend. I'll go back to her.
Eowyn: ...!
Aragorn: What?
Eowyn: Aragorn... no baka! *punches him into stratosphere*

The Mouth of Sauron: That all you got? If that's it, you're going to die!
Aragorn: *clenching his injured side, back against a rock* No... I still got... this. *leaves start to swirl around his body*
Legolas: It cannot be! He's going to use the Dunedain Buster!
Gimli: What?
Legolas: The Dunedain Buster! It is a secret technique which draws its strength from purity of the user's heart! It fuels itself from his life force, so it is very dangerous... Aragorn, don't do that!
Aragorn: By the powers of ages past, legacy bestowed by Valar themselves... Gather in my hand, rulers of sunken island...
The Mouth of Sauron: Muahaha! ... What?!
Aragorn: Shall return to rise again! Dunedain Buster! *shoots a huge shockwave from Anduril*
The Mouth of Sauron: Gyaah! *annihilated by the blast*

Eyes bleeding yet?

Laurellien
2007-12-21, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't call them unrelated - maybe I'm not browsing the forums carefully enough, but all the topics where people are discussing DND and anime I've seen so far started as such, too. And there around 3 of them.

Uh? I actually cited in my opening gambit the dumb arguments thread. That was supposed to be a thread containing dumb arguments that people have heard, and it descends into a Damned catfight between anime fanboys and rabid reactionary naysayers. Please, read the damn post before you make an incorrect comment. *cries in desperation*.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-21, 09:27 PM
Cubey: I'd pirate it. Needs more mecha, though.

Laurellien
2007-12-21, 09:40 PM
I like how you got the meta-humour, but I actually stand by my point.

horseboy
2007-12-21, 09:45 PM
Uh? I actually cited in my opening gambit the dumb arguments thread. That was supposed to be a thread containing dumb arguments that people have heard, and it descends into a Damned catfight between anime fanboys and rabid reactionary naysayers. Please, read the damn post before you make an incorrect comment. *cries in desperation*.

Awh, sounds like someone needs a hug.

Frosty
2007-12-21, 09:46 PM
The female elves would also have ridiculously over-sized baloon breasts if it were anime.

Anyhow, those that think DnD is too "anime" can simply stop playing if it bothers them that much. I could care less to be honest. The rest of us should just ignore these arguments and move on.

InkEyes
2007-12-21, 09:50 PM
Cubey: I'd pirate it. Needs more mecha, though.

That's what the Ents are for! Imagine: forty-foot tall robot trees (I imagine them looking something like green Gundams) fighting giant monsters with laser-swords and the power of love.

MCerberus
2007-12-21, 09:50 PM
Imagined traces of eastern culture, in *MY* western-style RPG?

better make a thread about it.

Come on people it's silly. Even if there was some eastern-influenced stuff in DnD, well then they're just using ideas from multiple sources.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-21, 09:53 PM
Not to mention a western product with Eastern approch would be a smash hit.

horseboy
2007-12-21, 09:56 PM

Mmmmm Megas XLR ftw.

Laurellien
2007-12-21, 09:59 PM
I'll accept that hug. I need it. This thread is turning into another battleground for fanboys and reactionaries. *sob*

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-21, 09:59 PM
Rephrase: A serious, big budgeted western product with an adult plotline and an Eastern approach.

If someone nitpicks it, I'll call "The Wish-proof textbook of Phrases"TM.

MCerberus
2007-12-21, 10:02 PM
Rephrase: A serious, big budgeted western product with an adult plotline and an Eastern approach.

I'm not familiar with anyone even trying. Last Samurai was an American style movie and that's the closest example I can see. Other than that you get kids stuff and comedy.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-21, 10:06 PM
Note: Place "Find a way to create what was phrased in my previous post" on the To-Do list.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-21, 10:13 PM

The Magnificent Seven, and other Westerns based on Kurosawa? Those put Eastern stories into a Western setting, although they have about as much to do with anime as The Last of the Mohicans has to do with Kim Possible, so I'm not sure if the comparison is valid.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-21, 10:16 PM
The Magnificent Seven is vaguely the idea. However, I'm thinking of something that takes the style of eastern productions, and uses it with western settings.

BTW, that analogy wins.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-21, 10:18 PM
It doesn't quite, because I used a specific western cartoon and the whole genre of anime, but everyone got the idea of "very different style", I hope.

Crow
2007-12-21, 10:41 PM
The Magnificent Seven is vaguely the idea. However, I'm thinking of something that takes the style of eastern productions, and uses it with western settings.

BTW, that analogy wins.

What, like Kill Bill or something?

MCerberus
2007-12-21, 10:48 PM
What, like Kill Bill or something?

Ah there it is. That's a great movie heavy on the Eastern influences. It mixes really well with the spaghetti westerns too. Kind of like how the first 3 Star Wars were Samurai Westerns in space.

Cuddly
2007-12-21, 10:51 PM

As far as Eastern style, I'd say the Matrix movie(s) did exceptionally well. That was really the first high wire western action movie.

Recently, this forum has been dominated by the arguments between people who say that D&D is becoming to anime, and those that say it is either a good thing or that it isn't happening. One thread may be fine, but quite frankly, it has gotten ridiculous, with old threads being replaced by new ones and good threads being hijacked.

The perfect example? The dumb arguments thread. Somebody derided those who see D&D as becoming too anime, and from there, the rest of the thread devolved into an argument about D&D and Anime.

I for one am SICK of this phenomenon. I would like to ultimately get the topic banned for a period of time, similar to katana topics which were banned on WotC forums for a while some time ago. Only after a few months cooling off will we be able to approach this topic sensibly again.

Post here if you support this campaign.

Down with this sort of thing!
(Careful Now)

If the boards would loosen up on 'derailing' threads, then this sort of stuff would be better contained to a few threads, instead of requiring a thread to discuss every nuance of what ever the rant of the week is.

Shraik
2007-12-21, 11:43 PM
What the hell does "Too Anime" mean? I don't really speak idiot so I don't understand.
Thats my personnel problem with anime is that is like a blackhole, sucking things into until it is lost. Really I find some of the worst obssessers to be the ones that you wouldn't expect(anime, and Harry Potter). I do not see what's so great, most of the time its just Cliché. Most of the time it is overall the same, Monologues, Ninjas, Katanas, High tech stuff. I can see why at first but after a while its jusr "ehh..."

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-21, 11:45 PM
What? Filler

Sir_Chivalry
2007-12-21, 11:50 PM
Laurellien, may I just say I support your campaign for prevention rather than retribution.

And I love your reference to Father Ted

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-21, 11:54 PM
Gohan, this argument is ****ing inert!

RoboticSheeple
2007-12-21, 11:58 PM
At first I thought this was satire, then I noticed it wasn't and felt sad. :smallfrown:
Next time do this as a clever satire.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-12-22, 12:13 AM
Wait, it wasn't?

I still don't regret my hipster-reference joke post. Not one bit.

Felius
2007-12-22, 12:22 AM
What the hell does "Too Anime" mean? I don't really speak idiot so I don't understand.
Thats my personnel problem with anime is that is like a blackhole, sucking things into until it is lost. Really I find some of the worst obssessers to be the ones that you wouldn't expect(anime, and Harry Potter). I do not see what's so great, most of the time its just Cliché. Most of the time it is overall the same, Monologues, Ninjas, Katanas, High tech stuff. I can see why at first but after a while its jusr "ehh..."

You just don't know many animes do you?

Please people, for the sake of Odin and Zeus, Anime is NOT merely DBZ, Naruto and Bleach. It's like saying all western animated series are equal after seeing a couple stereotyped Disney movies. Just because these are the ones that got dubbed, it doesn't mean they are the only ones.

Sorry, I just had to this go.

GrayMatter
2007-12-22, 12:45 AM
Off topic, but in a honest attempt to fix a common misperception...

DBZ (and many others, Bleach, Naruto, etc.) aren't really shows- they're just attempts to keep very young children glued to the TV at the least possible production cost. I liken them to the early Marvel Spiderman cartoons- the ones that were just still frames for minutes at a time with narration and voiceovers. Sure they were drawn, but were they really shows?

Oh and re racism, they really don't care about "fair" portrayal of other races much over there - there's a real reason for it, but that's for another time. Or not lol.

However, it will not take long to show you the true spirit of the medium with a simple Netflix rental of Planetes, Last Exile, Full Metal Alchemist, Kekkaishi (when it's available) or Rurouni Kenshin movies (1,2,4, skip 3)instead of the low class (s)exploitation time traps that litter the wasteland. All are high quality, clean, "serious" works (although you do need to be prepared for some PG to R level tragedy and violence, especially in RK. Romeo and Juliet has NOTHING on Japanese love story tragedies.)

But I completely recommend that you learn to do subtitles, as it is horrible what the dub-writers and voice actors do to both the characters and the stories.

Sorry for the digression, but I found the animes above much better than anything else I see on American TV today, so your comment prompted me to try to undo some of the damage from the pseudo-shows you were exposed to.

/offtopic off

Edit: Dang, ninja'd on the Naruto and Bleach thing lol. GJ.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-22, 12:50 AM
To be fair, sexism (or at least objectification of women) is rampant even in good shows (anything by Kyoto Animation or Gainax springs to mind immediately), but really, stop judging everything from Japan based on Dragon Ball freaking Z.

Now, if you say "D&D is becoming too anime" and mean "D&D is becoming too Dragon Ball Z", then that's actually something like a reasonable argument, though it would still help to be precise, because not every Japanese cartoon is exactly like DBZ, just like not every American cartoon is exactly like Looney Tunes.

EDIT: Goddammit, why am I still involving myself in this. I need help.

horseboy
2007-12-22, 12:58 AM
To be fair, sexism (or at least objectification of women) is rampant even in good shows (anything by Kyoto Animation or Gainax springs to mind immediately), but really, stop judging everything from Japan based on Dragon Ball freaking Z. Of course, this is pretty much true of all the entertainment industry. I mean, really, try and find 10 minutes on Mtv that doesn't objectify women.

Nowhere Girl
2007-12-22, 01:12 AM
D&D isn't anime enough yet.

I have nothing else to add. :smallsmile:

Dairun Cates
2007-12-22, 01:17 AM
I like how you got the meta-humour, but I actually stand by my point.

Oh. We're WAY past metahumor considering we're now making fun of the metahumor. We're on a whole new level. It's like metametahumor or megametahumor or maybe it's like a double negative and just humor.

Wordmiser
2007-12-22, 01:27 AM
Oh. We're WAY past metahumor considering we're now making fun of the metahumor. We're on a whole new level. It's like metametahumor or megametahumor or maybe it's like a double negative and just humor.And the more it's brought up, the worse it gets... :smalleek:

Yaki
2007-12-22, 03:23 AM
Oh. We're WAY past metahumor considering we're now making fun of the metahumor. We're on a whole new level. It's like metametahumor or megametahumor or maybe it's like a double negative and just humor.

don't be ridiculous

bluish_wolf
2007-12-22, 03:51 AM
Banning is likely overkill.

Yeah, obviously, Dutch (http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1774/bl3mm8.jpg) looks like Little Sambo (http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:LzW4c8z7Q84ZcM:http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/grandpascollectibles/.mids/CoonFan1.jpg).
(Not DBZ, I know)

... and when I saw the 5 cm per second trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKn5AwOTis), I thought, man, that's crude animation.

... and clearly all anime has horrible plot. I'm sure Grave of the Fireflies was written by random people off the street.

Tengu
2007-12-22, 05:18 AM

Okay, that's what you get for posting at 1 am - missing important parts of posts. And by you, I mean me. And yes, I actually haven't read that thread you mention before.

Ugh, I'm posting too much about anime lately. Time for a self-restrained rule: I won't do it in 24 hours. If I break this rule, I'll change my avatar to something even creepier.

bluish_wolf
2007-12-22, 05:23 AM
I didn't read the entire thread either. Man, I feel like such a ⑨ now.

Laurellien
2007-12-22, 05:24 AM

You

Get off my thread

This is not an anime in D&D argument, this was a semi-serious, semi-self-referential-humour attempt to get people to STOP TURNING EVERY DAMN TOPIC INTO "WAAH TOO MUCH ANIME IN D&D!!!!" "WAAH NO THERE ISN'T"

Go

Now, before I strangle something.

At first I thought this was satire, then I noticed it wasn't and felt sad. :smallfrown:
Next time do this as a clever satire.

Satire was part of the aim, but I also meant it in a semi-serious way, because I am sick and tired of the phenomenon.

To: All

Get off my thread if you are discussing whether or not D&D is too anime, this is NOT the thread.

Learnedguy
2007-12-22, 05:56 AM
Well they are kinda silly, considering the fact that the arguments are based on one book (which no one said you had to include in your game) and a lot of wild speculating on 4.0ed:smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-22, 08:36 AM

The matrix tried that.

The problem with putting foreign things into Hollywood movies is that they get parodied really quickly and then everyone goes off them.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-22, 09:30 AM
WTF CW Samurai is anime!!!~
I'd say that it is the only thing that isen't, when it should be... :smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2007-12-22, 02:44 PM

But...but... It was giant robots and Bruce Campbell as a reoccurring villain based off of Vince McMahon. How is that not awesome and win?