PDA

View Full Version : Archer Ranger Build

Methabroax
2007-12-22, 03:28 AM
I'm playing in an 7th level game with open access to source books. I want to make an Arcane Archer. Here are the stats I rolled.

Wood Elf, after level racial modifiers and level increases

Strength 18

Intelligence 12

Wisdom 14

Dexterity 20

Constitution 14

Charisma 8

Any advice on feats to take, or any general build advice? I will get to choose 4 feats (my DM is using a house rule for feat acquisition, making it every odd level after 1st)

Aquaseafoam
2007-12-22, 03:34 AM
Go for Improved rapid shot (CWar I think). It'll make a huge difference.

Kizara
2007-12-22, 03:56 AM
You should really arrange your formatting to be like the standard stat layout:

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

It's what people are used to, and it's the easiest to interpret and work from.

Aside from that, I haven't tried to make a deadicated archer since early 3.0, so I can't be much help.

Reel On, Love
2007-12-22, 04:00 AM
Why do you want to use the Arcane Archer class specifically? It's a trap. You'd be better off with straight Ranger (there are various arcane substitution levels/flavorings availible; check the Champions of Valor book), wizard/Eldritch Knight, or any number of things; Arcane Archer is a *terrible* class.

Behold_the_Void
2007-12-22, 04:28 AM
With your Intelligence and Charisma, Arcane Archer is pretty much out of the question, and it's not a very good class to begin with.

I don't know any good Prestige Classes off the top of my head, but as it stands straight Ranger will be better for you than Arcane Archer.

Chronicled
2007-12-22, 08:18 AM
As mentioned, Arcane Archer is a bad prestige class. Since it's open book, take a look at this for general archer tips (and specific tips for a killer Ranger/Scout build strategy): http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=854152 . There's also this, for more of a focus on Rangers: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=892470. Sadly, that's about the most help I can give for an archer build.

Methabroax
2007-12-24, 02:26 AM
I picked Arcane Archer since we are playing in a relatively low loot game and the always magical ammunition seemed like it would be handy vs things with DR/magic. How would you build a pure ranger to be an effective missle type?
What makes a pure ranger superior?

str 18
dex 20
con 14
int 12
wis 14
chr 8

Methabroax

Reel On, Love
2007-12-24, 02:32 AM
I picked Arcane Archer since we are playing in a relatively low loot game and the always magical ammunition seemed like it would be handy vs things with DR/magic.
Is there a wizard or cleric in the party? The spell Greater Magic Weapon makes the prime draw of Arcane Archer totally null and void. The rest of the AA's class features? They suck.

How would you build a pure ranger to be an effective missle type?
What makes a pure ranger superior?
I'd take archery-based feats and shoot a lot. A pure ranger is superior because he has useful skills, useful class features (like Camoflauge, and Hide in Plain Sight eventually), and gets spellcasting. Especially with access to the Spell Compendium, that spellcasting is definitely not bad.

Methabroax
2007-12-24, 02:45 AM
Swift Hunter seems like a cool build. Thanks for all the tips. I mostly chose Arcane Archer since it was the only missle prestige class I was familiar with and didnt realize Greater Magic Weapon would affect ammunition (D'oh).

Methabroax

Pironious
2007-12-24, 02:46 AM
I recommend the Scout/Ranger build. You sacrifice 1 BAB, 1 fort save, and 3 levels of your casting and animal companion progression, which is arguably useless anyways, and gain (with the assistance of a feat):

Skirmish bonus, as long as you keep moving you hit harder and are harder to hit
+10 movement speed
Trapfinding
Trackless Step
+1 Initiative

I play one in a game who has just reached level 6, and I've had nothing but enjoyment from the build.

EDIT: Ninja'd by a sneaky scout/ranger >_>

Reel On, Love
2007-12-24, 02:54 AM
didnt realize Greater Magic Weapon would affect ammunition (D'oh).

It does better than that--it affects your bow. Arrows fired take on the properties of the bow; i.e. a +5 bow turns normal arrows into +5, a +1 Flaming bow shoots +1 Flaming arrows, etc.

Arrow bonuses and bow bonuses don't stack, BTW. A +5 arrow in a +5 bow is still +5.

Chronicled
2007-12-24, 03:01 AM
Arrow bonuses and bow bonuses don't stack, BTW. A +5 arrow in a +5 bow is still +5.

Sorry for the tangent: does the bow override anything on the arrow? For example, if you have a +1 Flaming bow, and are packing some +1 Humanbane arrows, do you need to pull out a nonmagic bow to take advantage of the arrows?

Reel On, Love
2007-12-24, 03:06 AM
Sorry for the tangent: does the bow override anything on the arrow? For example, if you have a +1 Flaming bow, and are packing some +1 Humanbane arrows, do you need to pull out a nonmagic bow to take advantage of the arrows?

No, all the different abilities are applied. Shooting a +1 Humanbane arrow with a +1 Flaming bow means that your +1 Humanbane arrows resolve as +1 (enhancement bonuses don't stack) Flaming Humanbane (different properties all apply, since the bow just confers its properties on the ammo) arrows.

This actually makes having a bunch of +1 X arrows for various situations a good idea at higher levels.

Chronicled
2007-12-24, 03:18 AM
Now if I can just find a level 20 one-shot, I'll be the Ranger with the +5 (via GMW) bow, firing +1 [insert +9 worth of enhancement bonus] arrows. Better to spend the money on other helpful items? Sure. Having a weapon that uses [I]that much money (especially when you think about firing 8+ of those arrows a round)? Awesome.