PDA

View Full Version : Joruse's Arrows

Jack_Simth
2007-12-22, 10:34 AM
The Wizard Joruse, having gotten fatigued of always creating new magic arrows with assorted properties for his very demanding companions, came up with a way so that they wouldn't run out nearly so often....

These +1 arrows are generally sold individually, for the simple reason that few ever need more than a handful of them. Unlike most arrows, when they strike the target, they are immune to the normal automatic destruction of successfully used ammunition. Further, when they miss the target, they always survive. Additionally, the arrows automatically Teleport (as Dimension Door, but they can never bring anything with them) back and take up residence in the quiver from which they were drawn by the beginning of the archer's next round, if the quiver and target are within 800 feet of each other at that time. When a command-word is given, the arrows fly back to the one who spoke it at a rate of sixty feet per round from where they landed, to fit themselves into the archer's quiver. The enchantment on the arrows is, unfortunately, incompatible with further enchantments to the arrows themselves, although they will pick up magical properties from the bow used, as normal.

Moderate Conjouration and Transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Dimension Door, Fly, Stoneskin; Price: 367 gp per arrow; cost to create: 180, 14 xp, and one Masterwork Arrow per arrow to be created (special materials can be used).

DracoDei
2007-12-22, 03:26 PM
I beleive this is a case where the general rules for Item costs fail. I say this because even 5 of these (for a 20th level full BAB character with Rapid Shot) is cheaper than the +1 bow they replace in almost every way (Ok so the opponent can ready a sunder attempt against the arrow the next time you shoot at him, but other than that)... not that a 20th level character would be using +1 arrows normally, but you get the idea.

Jack_Simth
2007-12-22, 08:24 PM
Good point.

Hmm... how about I replace Dimension Door with Fly and have them return with a command word (standard action) at a rate of 60 feet per round. In order to retrieve your arrows, you have to stop shooting - which makes the +1 bow more valuable. Hmm... I'll edit.

DracoDei
2007-12-23, 01:50 AM
Yeah, that should work.