PDA

View Full Version : Improved Familiar

ghost_warlock
2007-12-22, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know a good method for determining at what level various creatures would be appropriate for choices when selecting the Improved Familiar feat? I realize that most arcane characters have "better things to do" than spend a feat on their familiar, but sometimes story and flavor take precedence over optimization. :smallcool:

In particular, any guesses about the skiurid from Monster Manual IV? :smallwink: Wouldn't they just be lovely for a necromancer or illusion (shadow)-based character (particularly one with the dark creature template from Tome of Magic)?

JackMage666
2007-12-22, 03:15 PM
I'd have to say about 7th, the same as a Pseudodragon. Their Darkness ability is what kicks them up so high, but by 7th level that should hardly be a problem to most enemies (and in fact a problem for the party who can no longer see them).

The reason I compare to a Pseudodragon is because they have Poison, which is a comparable ability (although, they do have to hit...)

Adding a template to a familiar, while not unheard of, is considerable more iffy. For the Dark template, the caster level would probably have to be more like 11th (in this case).

These are just estimates and personal opinions, as I have no idea what the formula is.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-22, 07:35 PM
Acquiring a familiar with Dark template requires Shadow Familiar feat from ToM p138. You must have 3rd level of Shadowcaster, a class which compares unfavourably to a soulknife, to take the feat.

As for Skiurid, while it only has CR 1/2, no ability to fly or communicate telepathically (as of pseudodragon), it can use Dimension Door 30ft. 3/day, also Chill Darkness ability which deals AoE 1d6 damage and an ability damage. These however, ain't as good as other 7th-level familiars' abilities, as it includes Courre Eladrin, Imp, Quasit and Wyrmling White Dragon. So I'd say 5th level for Skiurid provided that the DM agrees to it.

Fax Celestis
2007-12-22, 07:39 PM
...Shadowcaster, a class which compares unfavourably to a soulknife...

I'm forced to disagree here. Shadowcasters are perfectly acceptable casters, as long as you accept that they're below the power of all other 9th level casters.

The_Snark
2007-12-22, 07:47 PM
I'd agree with Fax, with the caveat that at extremely low levels, they're rather terrible. As you start reaching the middle levels and they have a comfortable number of abilities per day, they start getting better, although they're certainly not the equal of a standard caster.

The skiurid looks less powerful than a pseudodragon, which can fly, communicate telepathically, scout with blindsense, and has a save-or-lose poison. 5th level, most likely.

It'd probably be balanced to take another feat to add the Dark template; Improved Familiar can net you a celestial or fiendish familiar, after all.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-22, 08:23 PM
Well, I only played Shadowcaster once (starting from 1st level to 4th), so please excuse my ignorance. :smallredface:

I might as well find another chance to play a mid-level shadowcaster sometime... Hmm :smallbiggrin:

edit: added the magic word! Power Word Please!

mabriss lethe
2007-12-22, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with Fax and say 5th, off the top of my head. I'm not to sure about adding templates to the familiar. As for shadow casters, I thought they looked neat, but didn't look like as much fun as a Binder, so I've never really bothered with them.

Tangent: It brings to mind a certain character I'm toying with. A homebrew goblin variant (slightly modified version of a halfling.) Hexblade with Improved familiar (worg) as a mount. There are some kinks I'm dealing with (mounted combat) but overall, I think he'll be loads of fun.

ghost_warlock
2007-12-23, 05:14 AM
Adding a template to a familiar, while not unheard of, is considerable more iffy. For the Dark template, the caster level would probably have to be more like 11th (in this case).

I meant that the caster has the dark creature template. It'd be fairly redundant to add it to the skiurid. Note that a caster with the dark creature template would be immune to the damage from skiurid's Chill Darkness ability (because it doesn't affect undead or creatures native to the Plane of Shadow).

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-23, 07:05 AM
I meant that the caster has the dark creature template. It'd be fairly redundant to add it to the skiurid. Note that a caster with the dark creature template would be immune to the damage from skiurid's Chill Darkness ability (because it doesn't affect undead or creatures native to the Plane of Shadow).

Well, even if it did (affect creatures native to the Plane of Shadow), in only deals 1d6 cold damage and Dark template gives cold resistance 10 :smallamused: