PDA

View Full Version : Ankh-Morpork Ombudsmen

Benejeseret
2007-12-22, 03:59 PM
(( First some housekeeping. Here are the links to our OOC threads http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66826

The Basics
1) Write in the style you wish (first, second, or third person).
2) Try to have speech in colour and I suggest, "the use of correct grammar is preffered." Spelling, however, is more loose due to accents etc so long as we understand it (I am a bad speller).
3) Use [] to denote actions with rolls. I will do most rolls for combat etc and let you know the outcomes. example: Grax swings at the tree [+3 to hit, 1d6+1 x2]
4) Feel free to PM me anytime with secret ideas, thoughts, questions, and I will be PMing out things like knowledge or spot/listen results unless you all pass them. What the individual does with that info or who you tell IC is up to you.

5) Timing - I will be moving the story along after 2 'down' days or sooner if everyone responds. This means if I post something on Saturday, you have until Monday night to post your character's actions. If not, I will either move on anyway or assume your character acts according to your standing order (see #6 below).
6) Please PM me right away with your general character's combat preferences. This way if you are too slow responding or are away I will have your character act in the fashion that you have told me. You can PM new standing orders at any time if you are planning on being absent.
7) There is no upper limit of the number of times you can post. Please have conversations amongst yourselves if you want etc. Just try not to steal the show.
8) IF your character wants to do something away from the rest of the group like sneak off etc.....do this by PM with me. ))

Benejeseret
2007-12-22, 04:00 PM
A layer of sooty snow has wrapped itself around Ankh-Morpork. It fell last Octeday evening during the annual Hogwatch Parade. In preperation for the big day, the city has taken on the traditional smell of the season. The smell of pig manure.

Herds of squelling pigs are pushed through the Gates of Endless Street and squeezed across the inner city bridges towards Pseudopolis Yard. One porker nearly runs the lot of you down on your trek across the city towards your new post.

The local guildhouse for the Merchants and Traders is tucked among the bustle of Ankh Street and the four jewelery shops. Hints of grandeur days lays beneath years of neglect on the guildhouse's yellow, peeling shutters. A hooded lantern hangs over the front stoop.

Under the lantern light the four of you stand upon the front stoop.

A letter is tacked to the front door.

[ to read the letter click here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66973

Please do not repond on the Letters By Post, Clack, or Complaint Box thread as it is meant only for me to post letters, and notes for you to read. All IC post go on this thread you are currently reading.... ]

Zyks
2007-12-22, 05:08 PM
Valkyn quickly scans the letter through, turns to the other sand says:
"Vell? Shall we go in?

Incase you haven't seen the whole description of Valkyn on the sheet, his morporkian is good, and his uberwaldean accent is only slight, he occassionally pronounces w as v, but not always.

Colt
2007-12-22, 06:52 PM
Grax runs to keep up with the others. Upon reaching the door, he crawls up Valkyn's back and looks over his shoulder in order to read the letter. As he reads it, he makes quick shorthand notes in a sizable notebook, copying down the important parts of the letter. "I'm all for checking out our new office. Hopefully it's warmer than out here. he then crawls down and waits for someone to open the door.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-23, 10:52 AM
"Yeth thir."Said Igor as he opened the door to look in and then opening the door to let them enter."Your abode Mathter."
"Grax, may I thee you in private, ith that ith thine with mathter."

Zyks
2007-12-23, 11:57 AM
"Thank you Igor, yes you can see Grax in private."

Valkyn walks into the building, loosening his cloak slightly as it gets warmer. He looks around himself at the surroundings.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-23, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah, travel and magic domains.

Plus prepared spells.
Create water.
Detect poison
Guidance
Light

Cause fear
Sommon moster 1

Longstrider

Prestidigation, mage hand, ray of frost, prestidigation
Alarm grease

Colt
2007-12-23, 01:20 PM
Grax slides into the room and looks around. After hearing Igor's request, he follows him and watches him closely. As soon as they get where they are going, he says to him, "Well, would you mind telling me what my mother has to do with any of this? She is a perfectly respectable women."

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-23, 01:46 PM
"Your mother, I never mentioned your mother. May I othther you a chance to worthhip the mathter."

Benejeseret
2007-12-23, 04:56 PM
The Guildhouse
Valkyn walks into a cluttered front office. Scores of old papers piled knee high cover much of the floor and fountain off of the lonely desk and from stacks on the worn oak chair. The air is warmer, no longer condensing the breath, but hardly warm enough to call comfortable. A distinct smell of burning paper and ink permeate the building.

The room is ten steps across between the bare wooden planks serving as walls. A path weaves between the entranceway and the right-most desk corner on which sits a small potted oak tree strewn with tinsel. Next to the pot lays a small box with the words, "Fruitcake," on a card in a overly flowery script.

A simple wood burning stove takes up the corner to your right, and by the looks of the embers and soot, the excessive amounts of paperwork laying about seems to be the primary fuel once crumpled and stuffed into the small kiln. The dying crackle of a weak fire can still be heard from within. Leading off into shadow behind the desk and chair is another room.

Zyks
2007-12-23, 06:12 PM
Valkyn glances over to the other two talking, and then back to the doorway, where the 4th member is still standing.

I hope he comes in soon, maybe we can retain what little warmth there is in here once the door is closed

He picks up a piece of paper from the top of the stack nearest to him and reads it.

Benejeseret
2007-12-23, 08:11 PM
(( The page on the up-most, nearest stack reads:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3701039#post3701039 ))

[Also, let's assume he is late or making his own way here....or, my favorite ploy is to assume a character steps out to the privy if they are absent suddenly during a conversation. Combat will be more structured, but for now, I will respond and describe/advance/make-up things whenever your characters create the need.]

Zyks
2007-12-24, 04:49 AM
Valkyn raises an eyebrow at the mention or Mr. Tulip, having heard rumpurs of him before. Although wasn't he dead now?

Just wondering what time this is set, in relation to the books? since Mr. Tulip dies in The truth

Well I hope these unpaid money issues don't fall on us now. I'll have to discuss it with the Chairman sometime

Vlakyn puts the letter back on the pile and goes and peers into the next room behind the desk.

Colt
2007-12-24, 08:24 AM
"Well, after a not particularly long and not particularly thoughtful consideration, I'm going to have to say no. I'm my own gnome, I serve no one less than a god." after saying this he walks back over to the middle of the room, crawls up on to the desk, and looks through the papers for anything that looks like it pertains to them.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-24, 08:33 AM
Igor shook his head. "Thilly man, not theeing the whole point."

Igor walked up to see the back room.

Benejeseret
2007-12-24, 11:28 AM
Backroom
Into a dimly lit room the sparse light from the stove embers behind you stretches your shadows across bunks and hammocks. A single rusted chest rests against the leftmost wall with a small gold-ish key hanging beside it on a string. Flanking the chest are two lumpy cots and swinging lightly above them are three hammocks stretched between the walls at ninety degrees to the beds. The middle of the rooms houses a crude galley against the back wall and to the right are two broom closet sized outrooms. One appears to be a privy and the second is currently empty.

Grax
Stacks tumble and papers wisp to the ground all around the shakey table. A single yellowed leaf comes off of the potted oak tree and drifts slowly down onto the brown, wrapped box.

Grax finds three pages that might interest him randomly strewn about the desk.

[ I need to write them in the letters thread and will do if I have a chance later today....otherwise they will come tomorrow or boxing day. ]

After tugging the last of the three intriguing notes from a particulary dense stack, Grax's right foot bumps the Fruitcake box....which begins to rattle and shake with an inner force. The oak leaf is dislodges and falls further to the ground.

Zyks
2007-12-24, 12:17 PM
Valkyn says to Igor "Well we need to see the Chairman sometime about all this paperwork, otherwise I think this place is all right until we can find somewhere better, what do you think?"

He then heads to the desk and the fruitcake box, suddenyl feeling quite hungry.

Colt
2007-12-24, 03:43 PM
Grax dives behind the desk yelling, "Oh my god, the fruitcake is ALIVE!" he then grabs his staff and edges around the desk to see what the cake will do.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-25, 08:55 AM
Igor walks quickly to the fruitcake. "Alive you thay."

Benejeseret
2007-12-26, 12:58 PM
(( here are the 3 letters Grax uncovers in his search of the desk
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3709080&posted=1#post3709080 ))

Zyks
2007-12-26, 02:22 PM
with all the talk of living fruitcake, Valkyn simply opens the box.

{assuming the fruitcake is not alive}

He takes his well crafted knife out and cuts himself a slice.

Benejeseret
2007-12-27, 01:37 PM
As Valkyn's knife descends into the box, a high pitched shriek of terror is followed by a blur of red movement.

"Ieeeeeeeeek....Fruitcake be good, Fruitcake be good. No cut cut mees!"

The small voice comes from a tiny impish creature huddled terrified within the potted oak's yellow foliage. The creature is no higher than a palm width, with leathery red skin, tiny goat horns the size of a fingernail, and a bright pink miniskirt with matching shoes and handbag.

It swing the handbag to and fro in an attempt to ward off Valkyn and noticing Grax also hiding scream to him, "Call the watch watch! There's a crazy man trying ta assault mees feminine virtues." A statement supported by the attire, but somewhat confused by the impish goatee capping its chin.

Zyks
2007-12-27, 02:53 PM
Valkyn pulls back, looking shocked.

"Vot is this?! I do not understand, it is only a fruitcake.

Colt
2007-12-27, 07:41 PM
Coming out from behind the desk, and seeing the creature, Grax says "Someone has an odd idea of what a fruitcake should be. We won't hurt you, now, who are you?"

Benejeseret
2007-12-28, 12:46 AM
The impish little creature composes itself, though remains weary of Valkyn. It smooths out its skirt and performs a well rehearsed curtsy.

"Mees named Fruitcake. Meesa scribe, office assistant, and secretary." It hops down beside the pot, neatly puts the minute handbag down and presents a business card the size of a housefly to Grax. "Meesa employed by the big big Guilda Merchants ta rep-er-ree-sent," it stumbles over the long word, "yur buseeness interests."

"Meesa be here, right here, day and night ta see ta yur buseeness needs," it says while taping the side of the small box it came in, which begins to fold in on itself and form a complex series of creases. As the thick paper comes to rest, it has formed a teeny desk and chair. "Mees also know or-a-gam-eee."

As it seats itself and focuses on Valkyn. It leans forward accusingly and shakes a finger in his direction, "and mees knowsa sex-ew-all harassment lawyer as well so yusa better watch yurself bub."

Zyks
2007-12-28, 05:44 AM
"ok then, I'm sure you can help for all this paperwork." Valkyn puts his knife away"I am sorry for this incident, I mistook the letter to mean we had a cake in the box. Do you know anything about all these papers in here?" He sweeps his arm across, indicating...well, the whole room.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-28, 05:49 AM
Igor looked at both the facial hair and the clothing. "Your a thruitcake thor thure."

Benejeseret
2007-12-29, 12:06 PM
"Paper?" It scans the room for the first time before replying, "Nope, nope, nope, but mees can sort them if yus tell mees how yus want them. By date, by size, al-pha-bet-ee-cally, and uh...," it scratches its head, "and where yus wants them."

Zyks
2007-12-29, 01:08 PM
"ok, can you sort them out by date for us? Then I think we should ask this Mr. Serius what we should do with them when he comes to visit."

Valkyn goes back into the back room. he undoes his bandoleer, which holds his knife and rapier, puts it on top of the chest and swings himself into a hammock.

Colt
2007-12-30, 09:42 PM
Grax watches Fruitcake intently, then heads to the back room to look for any ideas of what jobs there are to do.

Benejeseret
2007-12-31, 02:46 PM
With Valkyn swinging above him, Grax notes the dust bunnies are corralling in the back corner, a thick layer of grime has settled over the galley's counters, and the door to the empty closet is loose and creaking.

(( basically Grax finds no evidence of tasks other than housework and cleaning))

((It is late at night by now, so, here is my call to wrap up the day as 8 hours will bring you to around 7-8am tomorrow morning. Please state where you are bunking and what spells you are preparing [like Valkyn has, to start the habit for future tactical encounters] and for this night or any other night please private message me with any 'sneaky/private' things your character might want to do without the others knowing. Also, when you say where you are bunking also state if you do anything to prepare your site like locking doors/alarming/traps/ etc. Again, more to get the habit going for future nights/encounters...but you never know.))

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-01, 08:13 AM
Same spells as before.

Casting alarm (The loud type) on a window to the bedroom, and and using prestidigation to clean a bit of the bedroom. Igor laid down next to the front door.

Colt
2008-01-01, 09:56 AM
Lacking a better place to sleep, Grax lies down on the piles of paper an the desk, he takes a few notes regarding Fruitcake, then falls asleep.

Benejeseret
2008-01-01, 04:37 PM
Day 2, Hogwatchnight's Eve

The first rays of the sun find their way through the dusty streets and spread inward through the windows. The back room is dust free with the light smell of lemon all around the galley. You may now even be able to stomach foods prepared here.

Grax and Igor awake to a reorganized room. In fact, the paper stack Grax fell asleep on is now situated near the heater, with him at the top of a 6' pile. What was used as a blanket is in fact a happy little note reading, "Prior to 2000," in an artful script. The yearly, dated piles run counterclockwise around the room up to 2007 being divided by small monthly piles to the left of the desk. The desk itself is mostly clear and clean, save a blank parchment and inkwell in front of the chair.....and of course the hard to miss exact replica of your furnishings and building layout crafted out of scraps of paper situated on the front-most third of the desk. With Fruitcake, sitting bright eyes and hooves polished, alert at her mini-desk.

A small bell is being rung by Fruitcake, creating a mosquito-like buzzing in your ears. "Good morning gentlemen," she says as you rise, "I should inform yus of an upcoming appointment with Mr. Serius."

There is a small rapping upon the door.
*rap-tap-tap-tap*

Zyks
2008-01-01, 04:47 PM
Valkyn basically falls out of the hammock. He rubs his head and straightens his clothing, taking his bandoleer from the chest again. After it is secured again, he goes and opens the door cautiously, still bleary eyed.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-02, 10:42 AM
Igor moved away from the door, as he looked at fruitcake. "Thank you."

Colt
2008-01-03, 05:46 PM
Grax wakes up slowly as people begin to enter the room, as he wakes up, he pulls out his notebook and quickly reads it. He then gets up and heads to the door with the others to see who it is.

Benejeseret
2008-01-04, 01:30 PM
Figiting upon your stoop is a short, round, and rather nervous man. The first thing you see of him is the back of his greasy head. The man seems to perpetually worry about what is behind him, what isn't behind him, as well as every shadow and corner.

"Ohhh m'm'my!" He startles and whips around to face the opening door. Which, he quickly stumbles through. He ends up quickly out of breath with one hand leaning for support on the desk.

"G'g'good morning Ms. Fruitcake. Are these the m'men?"

"Yep yep, meesa sure they are," she replies while offering the man a hanky to wipe his brow. She then turns and looks up at Igor, "Beesa dear and gets Mr. Serius a chair will yus Igor?....he's about to pass out," she whispers the last bit.

"Thank you Ms. Fruitcake," Serius pants as he places his briefcase on the desk and begins organizing three documents onto the desk.

The first scroll is a rough map of Ankh-Morpork streetways. However, actually finding ones way around just with this map would be a task, as the document seems to detail city zoning. Numerous colour blobs and sketched outlines overlaps many of the streets. Someone has also used a dark red marker to circle a section of town in the north-west.

Next to the map is placed a contract. It is written in Latatian.
((if you can have Latatian, PM me and I will provide a translation))

Finally he pulls forms three crumpled papers clipped together. The front page is a iconograph of a young, snearing halfling girl. "Sash," is written along the top and "Has an appointment with Mr. Tartin of the Merchants Guild" along the bottom.

"Ahh, so...," he catches his breath before continuing, "Here we have a map of your district. It spans from the tip of the Rimwards gate south to Ankh St/Grunefair St, and west including Endless street, Dimwell Street between Endless and Ankh, and west to the northern tip of the docks."
((http://maps.gothmudders.com/ankh-mor.gif))
"Any complaints and merchantile problems and rewards for solving those issues within this disctrict are yours once you sign this contract here," he pats the contract and lays out a pen.

"Ohh, yes. And here are three of those problems to start you off," he motions to the iconographs. "These are three individuals who have been....d'd'difficult....for business in this region. One is an unlicenced thief, one is a loud-mouth pain who runs off customers and the last has outstanding dues owed to the guild for his, ah, m'merchandise. There is also word of two gangs trying to establish themselves here so d'do watch out for them, and try to make sure their presence does not effect sales."

He straightens up and smooths out his hair, taking a moment to think. He then leans in to speak quietly "And before I forget, the Guild has asked me to remind you to try and keep things, in house, shall we say. The watch has its place here, but we would prefer that place not to be investigating within our holdings."

"Any questions?"

Zyks
2008-01-04, 01:56 PM
The url doesn't work :smalltongue: I assume you mean this one? http://maps.gothmudders.com/ankh-mor.gif and just accidentally got a bracket at the end of it. I've used it before, used to play Discworld MUD.

Valkyn closes the door after the man stumbles in, and leans against it as he listens to what Mr Serius has to say.

"Well first of all what are all these papers in here? Are they anything to do with us? Do we need them? I had Fruitcake sort them by date.

And these three "Problems," what do you vant doing with them? Captured? Persuaded to stop their doings? or..."{winces slightly}"Dead?"

Benejeseret
2008-01-04, 02:53 PM
"Papers?...oh, all these. They are from the last few occupants who, ah, l'l'left us suddenly. I do not think anything from them should carry over to you in a b'bad way."

Hearing the second question makes him match Valkyn's unease as he replies, "ahh...our lawyers tell us we cannot officially ask you to do any thing illegal. Each of the iconographs has instructions along the bottom as to who would like to see these individuals...alive I believe. However, the Guild's standpoint is t'that we just want the complaints dealt with and the individuals n'no longer effecting business negatively. If someone where to die by your hands, it is an issue between yourself and the Watch....t'they usually let self-d'defense accidents sl'sl'sl....go away.

Zyks
2008-01-04, 04:50 PM
"Just one last thing, how do we get hold of you or the guild if we need to? oh and I assume if you want to talk to these people, that we are to bring them to the guild building?"

Sorry for hogging all the questions, I'll stop now and give others a chance

Benejeseret
2008-01-04, 07:46 PM
"Me talk to criminals and lunatics, oh d'd'd'dear....n'no." Serius squirms at the thought. "Each of these Guild Alerts d'details how to handle the person. For other b'business like Guild Administration, dues, the office you rent here, and for setting up meetings with upper guild members and those sort of things...safe things, you can ask Fruitcake to setup an ap'p'pointment with me."

((I have added the Guild Alerts to the Letters thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3748488#post3748488 ))

((I have also started a list of things any Ankh-Morporkian is likely to know in the OOC thread. Please add to it if you think of things.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3748647#post3748647 ))

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-05, 05:25 AM
Igor looked at the contract, ewhile the others spoke.

Colt
2008-01-05, 08:49 AM
Grax waits till he can get a look at the contracts, then reads them, coping them into his notebook. He then says, "It looks like it mihgt be difficult to look for the slaver and the thief, unless anyone has some other leads, so I'd suggest that we try for this yelling guy, it looks like he's usually in the same place most of the time, and with some luck, we mihgt run into the other 2 while we look for him."

Zyks
2008-01-05, 09:01 AM
Valkyn agrees with going for the old man at the docks first with a nod. He then turns to the contracts. When he sees the language they are in, he sighs and says "Sorry, but could someone tell me the major points of the contracts? I can't read Latatian."

Colt
2008-01-05, 09:10 AM
Oh, ok, says grax, and proceeds to translate the contracts to him.

Benejeseret
2008-01-05, 12:40 PM
(( translation is up:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3751179#post3751179 ))

(( Also, as for other quests etc. do not assume that all the pieces will fall into place. The overall campaign right now has a detective feel, so that means Gather Information, asking questions, searching for clues, (since none of you have Urban Tracking or Inquisitive - you have to actually figure out the clues as I have left them). 'Some' things will weave in and out eventually, but for the most part each quest is a seperate entity. ))

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-05, 12:41 PM
"Tho mathter, are you thine with the contract, you thhould think about the drathting part."

Zyks
2008-01-05, 12:48 PM
"Well I'd hope we won't get drafted. Other than that everything seems fine, and I'm ready to start working and earning some cash so...

Valkyn signs his name Elaborately on the contract.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-06, 04:48 AM
Igor scrawls his name on the contract.

Colt
2008-01-06, 08:41 AM
Grax Signs, then begins looking over the map.

Zyks
2008-01-06, 09:24 AM
Well I think ve should get out there as soon as possible, no sense in hanging around. Thank you Mr. Serius, I hope you won't be disappointed.

Vlakyn holds a hand out to Mr. Serius.

Just one other thing, I don't know if you said before, but where is our house on the map?

Benejeseret
2008-01-06, 02:19 PM
The Guildhouse is on Ankh/Grunefair among the 4 jewelery shops near Edgeway.

"Excellent, excellent....well," Serius finishes offering handshakes all around, "the d'day is young and I sh'sh'sh....don't need to hold you up any longer. Goodday Ms. Fruitcake." With that, the nervous clerk snaps shut his briefcase and makes quickly for the door.

"Thank yus Mr. Serius, and say hello to meesa cousin Walnut at central." The little imp curtseys as the man leaves and then returns to her filing.

With the ink on the contract drying, you find yourselves standing within your office shortly after crow's call the sunny winter's day of Hogwatchnights Eve.

Zyks
2008-01-07, 05:07 PM
"Shall we get started then? the docks wouls seem to be the best place to go first. Anybody have any other ideas?

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-08, 12:03 PM
"Mathter great idea." Said Igor. "To the docks we go."

Colt
2008-01-08, 10:12 PM
With any luck, on the way, we might catch sight of the other 2 targets. Grax says, as he heads off towards the docks.

Benejeseret
2008-01-09, 11:55 PM
You enter onto Grunefair and are met with a rush of your own crisp frozen breath upon the air. The street is a busle of shoppers and carolers, and with so many warm bodies about the clear sky is blurred by a fog of breath hanging between the house rows. Below the cobbles are forgotten beneath packed snow.

As you make your way west towards Ankh street, weaving around townsfolk, those too close to the buildings are occassionally gifted with a snowpack to the face and shoulders as overhead shutters are thrown open. Most shopkeeps are still preparing for the day, but the town is already awake and buzzing. While passing through the Dimwell intersection the squeels of children ring out above the busy square. A pack of halfling youth charge past and a moment later a second wave of darwish sires rush past. Soon slushy snowballs fill the street to the south.

Not to much farther along you enter onto the familiar ring road. The docks are a stones throw to the south. Endless street is considerably wider than Ankh, and nearly ten men could stand shoulder to shoulder between the inner houses and the outer stone wall. Here traffic increase as well. The street is thick with carts and people.

One man is nearly run over by an oxen and dodges quickly, leaping in front of Valkyn. He tries to grab Valkyn's arm/shoulder for support.

(Flatfooted, touch grab at Valkyn, [roll0] )

He mumbles an appology and then begins to continue past you on his way.

(His sleight of hand, [roll1] )
(Valkyn's spot check = [roll2] )
(Igor's spot check = [roll3] )
(Grax's spot check = [roll4] )

Benejeseret
2008-01-09, 11:59 PM
The man fails to grab Valkyn and stumbles to one knee. He akwardly tries to recover, rising and brushing past your group.

Both Igor and Valkyn easily notice his bungled pickpocket attempt. Grax is quite oblivious down at knee level.

Zyks
2008-01-10, 03:44 AM
{ooh natural 20!}

{Bungled as in he didn't get anything, or as in we just saw him?}

[Assuming he has something of Valkyn's]

Valkyn grabs for the mans arm

[roll0] (I think thats right, base attack and strength? +3 BAB +0 STR)

"Hey! I hope you intend to give me that back?"

Valkyn's other hand is clearly on his rapier hilt.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-10, 09:31 AM
"You didn't thhow a card. You unlithcenthed." Said Igor letting the master be the brave man. "You thailed that don't mean you didn't try."

Benejeseret
2008-01-10, 11:31 AM
"Damn ye off the Rim," the man struggles and tries to break free.

(I will finish off Valkyn's grapple to see if he holds on, Valkyn = [roll0] and the Half-Orc man = [roll1] )

(In case actual violence breaks out I will setup initiative right now...giving Grax a slight situational penalty to initiative since he was the only one to not see what was happening...

Half-Orc man initiative = [roll2]
Valkyn init = [roll3]
Igor init = [roll4]
Grax init = [roll5] )

Benejeseret
2008-01-10, 11:41 AM
The man breaks free of your hold and twists away. He makes for the dockyard, smashing into an old lady and scattering her bundle of fire tinder across the road.

[Tactical: the half-orc is 15 feet to the south on a very crowded street where most people have not noticed or do not care that you just scuffled with the man. The thick traffic at this time would make ranged option or charging difficult. The roadway here is between 20-30 feet wide with the outer wall to the west and the edge of the wooded docks to the east. The man is 10' west from the edge of the cold water of the river, not frozen over and still sludging along some 10' below the dock's wooded walkway that the man is on. The first to react is Igor, then Valkyn, the man, and finally Grax. The man is currently flat-footed from his stumble with the lady should you choose to confront him again.]

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-10, 12:01 PM
Igor walked slowly on the defensive as he moved to block the orcs straight exit.

Full defnse and move to the other side of the orc.

Zyks
2008-01-10, 12:11 PM
Valkyn goes after the man shouting "STOP! Unlicenced thief!"

He still has't drawn any weapons, after all the thief didn't attack him. Valkyn dashes to the thief and grabs him, trying to bring him to the ground.

(grapple check I assume, [roll0])

[edit: oh dear, I gues thats a miss, even with flat footed. Hopefully some civilian will stop him, though this is Ankh morpork...]

Benejeseret
2008-01-10, 01:21 PM
"Bah, bloody curr!" The man, seeing Igor step in front of him and hearing another closing quickly on him whirls around to face Valkyn. The sap, once disguised as a coinpurse hanging from his belt, is quickly in his left hand as Valkyn lunges in to grab him. He dodges at the last moment.

((Valkyn's attempt to start a grapple fails despite Igor aiding to flank))

The half-orc side-steps out from between the on the wall-ward side, so that he is immediately to Valkyn's right. He slaps the sap down towards Valkyn's head and then retreats toward to wall until pressed against it (spring attack, so igor gets no AoO due to full defense and none for Valkyn due to spring attack)

(attack toward Valkyn [roll0] )
(non-lethal damage [roll1] )

The sap passes over your shoulder and misses.

[Tactical: the man is now 15' west near the wall. The crowd has parted slightly where Valkyn yelled...but the masses are all around the pickpocket. It is Grax's turn (and he has until Sunday morning to post)]

Colt
2008-01-12, 09:50 PM
[OOC: Sorry, was away suddenly all day.]

After being caught rather by surprise by the sudden commotion, Grax runs after the man, and as he runs, he throws out his spiked chain in an attempt to trip the man. (If he's in range with the 10' reach)

Melee Touch (Trip) [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-01-14, 11:38 AM
The pickpocket skips over the chain, with a clang it hits the wall behind him harmlessly [miss].

[OOC: now it's igor's go and then Valkyn's again. Sorry I was a bit slow too, off camping this past weekend and now I think I'm sick.]

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-14, 11:59 AM
Igor moves 20ft away from the thief as he casts mage armour on himself.

Zyks
2008-01-14, 12:32 PM
Valkyn goes straight for the man again, this time with his rapier, though not to kill

with -4 penalty for non-lethal
attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Colt
2008-01-14, 03:13 PM
Grax whips the chain back, and throws it back out in another arcing motion towards the man's legs.

Melee Touch [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-01-14, 07:22 PM
The man continues to weave and dodge without a single blow landing. Finding himself backed against a wall he growls and throws himself towards the gnome.
Pushing off from the wall the man dodges the attack of opportunity from Grax and charges into him.

[He is attempting to bullrush Grax, trying to push him off the pier whose edge is 10' behind Grax. I will count the attack you just made Colt as the AoO since the half-orc is before you anyway, so after this you still get a round action.

*Valkyn now gets another attack against him as the AoO so if Valkyn stops the bullrush somehow I will go back and edit once we see Valkyn's AoO.]

bullrush strength checks Half-Orc = [roll0]
Grax's strength check = [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-01-14, 07:27 PM
[Tactical: Grax is now right on the edge of the pier and the man is directly west of him, Valkyn is 15' west of Grax and Igor is to the south of them all about 20'.

Now, Valkyn gets to roll an AoO and then it is Grax's round.]

Unable to resist the sudden tackle, Grax is shoved 10' back. He catches himself on a small post coming up as support for the wooded walkway, the only thing preventing him for plunging over the edge.

Zyks
2008-01-15, 03:26 AM
Valkyn sees the bullrush attempt and tries to take the thiefs legs with his rapier

Still going for -4 to non-lethal.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Colt
2008-01-16, 07:33 AM
Grax grunts and steps back, whips his chain back and tries to tie the attacker's legs with it.

the usual [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-01-16, 03:46 PM
Having failed to push the gnome right off the edge, the man growls, "Can't even make a simple living, baaahrrrr!" He bellows as the chains wrap around his legs. Seeing an opportunity as the gnome moves to the side, the sap swings in while they are bound together.

I presume you want to move 5' sideways rather than back do to the edge of the pier right behind, either way the 5' step provokes an AoO just before your trip attempt...(the trip does not provoke one).

Pickpocket's AoO = [roll0] nonlethal damage [roll1]

Assuming the trip continues opposed str checks modified by size
Grax = [roll2]
pickpocket = [roll3]

[Grax takes 3 hp worth of non-lethal damage but the attacker is now prone and because you rolled a natural 20 on the touch attack I will further say that the chains wrapped together and bound his legs, cutting his movement to 50% unless you remove the chains (free action) or he makes an escape artist check DC=your roll of 23... and if you leave the chain on you get an auto-touch hit towards future trips.

It is now Igor's round and the half-orc is prone.]

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-19, 10:06 AM
Igor moves near the orc then uses a 5ft step to get into a flanking position with Full defence.

Zyks
2008-01-19, 10:51 AM
Valkyn goes to grapple the man, while sayign to him: "I want my money back!

Remember Valkyn REALLY likes his cash
grapple[roll0]
If the grapply succeeds, Valkyn also has his rapier either across the thief's neck or prodding him in the back.

Benejeseret
2008-01-19, 10:05 PM
The half-orc glances upwards from his back to see the three marks staring down at him. His knees ache, twisted up within the gnome's blasted chains. His pride burns at being reduced to a common thief...and worse for being confounded by these tenderfoots.

As you all stand over him you can now smell the alcohol on his breath mingling with a weeks worth of smells lingering from sleeping on the streets.

With the noble bearing down of him the half-orc man flails and rages [not mechanics rage...just drunken anger].

AoO to Valkyn's grapple (-4 due to prone) [roll0] which if hits does [roll1] non-lethal damage.

[the AoO misses and Valkyn bears down on the prone man]

Benejeseret
2008-01-19, 10:10 PM
Now desperate, the man struggles as Valkyn grabs him.

Opposing grapples (-4 to prone half-orc) and the man is flanked
Valkyn = [roll0]
half-orc = [roll1]
if Valkyn wins [roll2] damage to the man.

Benejeseret
2008-01-19, 10:16 PM
Valkyn delivers a knee to the chest of the man as he grapples with him, winding the drunk.

The half-orc stares down the rapier blade held at his neck as its wielder kneels on his chest.

With one last push of energy he tries to roll to the right...towards the glooping waters of the Ankh river.

Now that you are both down and grapples the man twists to the right to try and move you both off the edge, he is still prone.

Half-orc = [roll0]
Valkyn = [roll1]

The man fails and lays still, the rapier still held unwavering at his throat. In his drunken stupor he wimpers to himself silently.

[He is no longer taking any aggressive actions as you have him prone, pinned, partially bound, surrounded, with a blade to his throat.]

"I Yieldddd," the man slurs, "ya bast-hic-ards beat me. Giiime your worst." He scrunches closed his eyes and lays still.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-20, 04:58 AM
"Do either of you know where the thieves guild is?" Says Igor.

Zyks
2008-01-20, 05:36 AM
Valkyn

"Yes, its on the street of alchemists, near the patricians palace and the assassins guild. We should take him there.Turning to the thief That is of course, unless you have a licence, though I doubt it, drunkard

Colt
2008-01-20, 08:11 AM
Grax, walks over to the man, and looks him over, then says "Well, I doubt he'll walk there, so you two will probably need to carry him, unless you want all his blood to be in his head.

Zyks
2008-01-20, 09:06 AM
Valkyn

"Yes, I don't think I could carry him alone, unless its by his ankles, althogh personally I am all in favour of that

Valkyn's off ground is 200, so is suppose he could carry him alone. But his drag is 500.

Valkyn then goes to retrieve his stolen money from the thief, but only his, leavig whatever else the thief may have stolen for the guild to sort out

I assume I cantake 10 on a seacrh check? or is it obvious were my money is.

Also I hope taking him to the guild wouldn't sidetrack us too much from the main objective.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-20, 09:10 AM
Igor will help to carry the thief.

Benejeseret
2008-01-21, 03:38 PM
Valkyn finds none of his possessions on the thief. He does notice a light mace, the sap, the leather armour he wears and a few gems in a pouch tucked in the back of his belt. He struggles slightly at the search but with three men dominating him, he ultimately gives in.

he actually failed to pickpocket you at all. If any of you take anything off him before carrying him off just say so. Finally, he is still conscious, do you want to bind him further or disarm him or anything?

Zyks
2008-01-21, 03:45 PM
All that for nothing then :smallbiggrin: oh well, we can start making an impression on the town anyway by taking him to the thieves to deal with. I don't have a rope or anything to bind him with, so unless anyone else has one I say we carry him off now

Benejeseret
2008-01-22, 11:16 AM
The four of you proceed towards the local thieve's guildhall at a slow pace, carrying the pouting drunk between you. Your path brings you past the docks, where the lapping of the dark waters is never heard over the rush of merchants, traders, dockhands, creaking wood and yelling sailors.

Within the chaos you see at least three separate clusterings of folk from all races. One is clearly the bazaar, but the other two are street performers or some other draw.

Some fifty feet ahead near the southern bridge over the river is a guard post with two watch officers overlooking the crowd. Numerous side passageways wind between the many boats and plank-ways, but the most direct passage south is right under the watch.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-22, 11:23 AM
"Tho, towardth the watch." Said Igor, following Valkyn.

Zyks
2008-01-22, 11:31 AM
Valkyn

"Yes, im sure they'll be able to take him off our hands and bring him to the thieves guild, or Vimes; though im not sure how which is worse for him"

Colt
2008-01-22, 10:22 PM
Grax strolls slowly behind the others, keeping an eye out for their targets. When the head towards the Watchmen, he says "I'd take Vimes personally, but it's not like i have personal experience."

Benejeseret
2008-01-23, 10:54 AM
The guards shift and take notice as you approach.

"Right then, what's all this now?" the older guard bellows. The younger man, with a uniform clean enough to be under a week old, takes hold of a rope which winds up to a small platform far above holding an alarm bell.

"I do believe kidnapping is still illegal...unless they've gone an licensed that too," the guard grumbles.

Zyks
2008-01-23, 11:12 AM
Valkyn

Glaring at the guard, Valkyn matches the volume of shouting"Hey! We just happen to be taking this incapacitated drunken vagabond into your custordy thank you very much! We're doing you a favour, doing your job for you. He's an unliscenced thief, tried to steal from me aswell. What a fine thanks we get for helping the watch out. If you don't want him, we'll just go ahead and drop him with the thieves guild. Now are you going to do your jobs?! or do we have to do EVERYTHING your supposed to?!"

Please please please let this work like it does in Uberwald. Guards always jump to action when shouted at by someone in rich clothing with the sound of authority

Valkyn puts the thief down and stands with his arms crossed, looking imperious.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-23, 12:29 PM
Igor nods, I hope thier the right type of watch

Benejeseret
2008-01-24, 09:39 AM
The younger of the men snaps to attention, his hand dropping the alarm rope and nearly pokes out his own eye trying to outmanoeuvre his brain to get off a nervous salute.

Elder guardsman, like the one before you, instead seems to boil. He sucks in a deep breath and nearly lets fly...until his ears and his brain come to terms with the words "unlicensed thief". What might have been a clenched punch to the nose seamlessly veers into a snappy, overly-chipper-bellboy-at-a-hotel kind of salute.

"Oh certainly citizen, that is our job after all. Boy, secure the prisoner, and to you helpful gents here," he riffles through his pockets and counts out coins, stamps, and newer ankh bills, "is 112.50 gold, the common bounty for bringing in such scum." He beams at you, his eyes a little glazed.

The boy takes the drunk off of you and begins to manacle him, "but Bob, not not what the training manu-<crunch>. The man named Bob, still with the plastered but now strained beaming smile most accidentally stepped of the youth's foot.

"Hehe...ah, new lads you now, never quite on top of there training. There you go then." The guard practically pulls both the drunk and the boy off their feet as he leads them quickly out of sight into the ever growing crowds of Hogwatchnights Eve.

Grax
[spoiler]As you watch the groups and people, you overhear a loud, nasal voice screaming at the dockhand over near two docked fishing boats. You catch the odd word, including "polluter", "save the whales", and "oh god won't somebody think of the dolphins".

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-24, 11:19 AM
"Too little, thir?" Asked Igor.

Zyks
2008-01-24, 11:35 AM
Valkyn

Vlakyn relaxes, glad that his idea worked, though he won't be pulling that trick too often. The older watchman looked on the brink of attacking.

"I'm not sure really Igor, though I'm not going to press the matter, best to keep on good terms with the watch, you never know when we might need them. Anyway..." (After some quick arithmatic in his head) "I make that 37.5 gold each when divided amongst three. Not bad after only being on the job for a few hours"

Valkyn smiles as he hands the others the money.

"All right, lets head back into the docks"

Colt
2008-01-24, 05:21 PM
I'm thinking we have found our first quarry, I hear yelling over at the docks. we'd better hurry. Grax then sets off for where he heard the yelling.

Benejeseret
2008-01-24, 07:23 PM
Grax leaves the main roadways and begins wandering across the angular stacks of plankways making of the Dock's District shipping yard. At least six tall ships and dozens of smaller crafts line the twisting route. Roughly three hundred sailors crawl all over the riggings around and above. The smell of fish and spices does not mix well and hangs in the air.

Next to one of the tall ships and the open river, the man with the nasal voice can be seen standing on a small shipping crate. He appears to be elderly. Strong, weathered wrinkles cover his deeply sun-tanned skin. He is armed with a large trident which he is currently shaking feebly at passers-by while raving. He has a shield strapped to his back and across his shoulders and chest a series of mother-of-pearl seashells are woven together into something resembling scalemale.

Many of the nearby sailors working around and above seems to be giving the man at least their partial attention. Most of this attention, however, involves leers and heckling calls. At least five people are sitting and listening to the lecture. Most of these are youth, girls, barely into adolescence, hosting dreadlocks with seashells and flowers woven into them, oddly colored skirts and no shoes.

His current rave seems to involve the horrors of net fishing and how much better all our lives would be if we were chewing fresh algae instead.

Colt
2008-01-26, 09:29 AM
Grax waves for the others to hurry up. When the get to where he is standing he asks "Anyone have any ideas of how to apprehend him?"

Zyks
2008-01-26, 09:36 AM
Valkyn

Other than the trident he looks harmless enough, although I could be wrong. Perhaps to begin with we should just move closer, look as if we're interested in what he's saying

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-26, 09:57 AM
Igor looks. "You could probably just ruthh him."

Benejeseret
2008-01-27, 01:01 PM
Seeing three heavily armed men taking a keen interest in him, the elder puffs himself up, and sweeps his trident over the small gathering towards the trio. "And now the agents of the capitalist fascists arrive!"

He begins hopping from one leg to the other, "oooh, look at me, I rape the land to kill the ocean....la-di-da..." he mocks you. "Does that coin make you feel better? Why are you here...the 'man' tell you to come silence me?"

"Ha!" he stops dancing and focuses on Igor, "You there, recycled man, surly your kind sees the benefits of the three 'R's'" He says 'R's" as though it has some deep and revered meaning.

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-28, 12:34 PM
"Redaing, riting, 'rithmatic. I don't understand." Said Igor.

Zyks
2008-01-28, 12:48 PM
Valkyn

Valkyn steps forwrad, close to the old man

Look sir, we on't want trouble. We have complaints of you harrasing dockyard staff. You aren't welcome here, and you don't need to share all your views in such an obnoxious manner. Now if you would cease such behaviour, the matter shall be simply reolved. If not we shall be forced to take further action.

Diplomacy check I guess? [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-01-28, 01:24 PM
Igor
He seems to hide a smile at what he perceives as Igor's small joke, trying to remain threatening. The trident rests against one leg as the smile turns to a giggle. "Ah young man, I of course refer to Reuse, Recycle, Reduce."

Valkyn
Warmed by Igor's unintentional charm, he is more willing to weigh Valkyn's words.

"I know the words of truth and change are hard for some to hear, but look at the filth pouring into the harbour," he turns to point toward a sewer outlet protruding out from the nearby riverbank where three scaled forms seem to be sitting around the opening, "I cannot leave while these atrocities continue. The filth is made worse by those three. Their stench taints the water and sickens the fish."

Zyks
2008-01-28, 02:04 PM
Valkyn

Hmm... strange

Spot check on the figures? trolls perhaps? [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-01-28, 02:40 PM
Valkyn
You see the figures are too short and skinny to be lizardmen. One is sitting on a crate outside of the pipe while two more are perched inside with their legs hanging over the lip. They are looking back and forth.

the one outside leaps up and darts after a rat, which it quickly kills and brings back to the others where they all eat, tearing into the raw rodent.

[knowledge check for nature or local is better to identify]

Colt
2008-01-28, 03:46 PM
"Sir, this is the Ankh, there's nothing you could put into it that could possibly make it any worse than it is. It can barely be called water." Grax says, stepping closer to the man.

Benejeseret
2008-01-29, 11:06 AM
"Are you implying that even a small thing cannot make a difference, Gnome?"

Colt
2008-01-29, 05:41 PM
I'm implying, sir, that there is no way you could pollute the Ankh, it's like saying you're making garbage dirty.

Benejeseret
2008-01-29, 08:01 PM
"It's small-mindedness like that, gnome, that dooms us all. I WILL not leave this place unless something is done about the sewers. I AM the will of the ocean...and I will not be IGNORED!"

As he hollers the last word a summoned wave crests over the plank-way, harmlessly soaking Grax with about eight gallons of water.

"Do you taste the foulness? Even small actions can add up and I will not leave until those lizards no longer add to the problem."

[Grax, you are wet. Any movement actions you take while on the slippery plank-ways require a DC 12 Balance check (for you) if you move at full speed, no check if half speed.

Also, you do taste the foulness, and it tastes like liquid stink. Make a Fort Check Grax.]

Colt
2008-01-29, 09:52 PM
Grax, shakes himself a bit to rid the water, then stares at the man before grabbing his spiked chain from his belt and throwing it out to the side with a flourish.

Fort [roll0]

Will edit post depending on save and results.

Zyks
2008-01-30, 03:27 AM
Valkyn

If you are unwilling to comply sir, I am afraid you may end up face down in what you are so desperate to protect!

Valkyn steps back and draws his rapier

Intimidate check aswell [roll0]

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-30, 11:17 AM
Igor went on the defensive as he tried to get into a flanking position using movement and a five ft step.

Full defense

Benejeseret
2008-01-30, 12:03 PM
The young women surrounding the old man shriek and flee, obstructing you for a brief moment as bounding bosoms and seashells run past. The elder takes this moment to push a large crate off the edge and jumps down onto its surface. It teeters in the water, and the man bends down to cast an enchantment. It seems to steady, and raises on the water until sitting, floating, completely on top of the water without a corner submerged.

[Tactical: the elder is now on a 10' cube empty crate floating about 10' away from the plank-way. Due to the Float enchantment he is level to you vertically. Open air to the river below separate you.]

"You fools....you'll drown for this!"

[initiative (we'll say it starts at this point): [roll0] old man
Grax [roll1]
Valkyn [roll2]
Igor [roll3]

So the order is: Igor, Valkyn, Grax, Elder]

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-31, 11:08 AM
Igor looked for Valkyn for what to do. "what are we to do."

Readying an action to do what Valkyn says to do, when he says it.

Zyks
2008-01-31, 11:34 AM
Could do with a little more on the situation. Is the crate moving away from us? or just floating there? If it is moving, is there a bridge further down?

Igor! see if you can get a boathook or something to pull the crate in! Grax get him with the chain! I'm going after him

Valkyn makes an attempt to jump across the gap onto the crate, should he be successful, he takes a quick slash at the man in a defensive manner.

If I need a jump check to jump 10ft, here it is: [roll0]
Also, I'm using combat expertise to shift 5 attack bonus to AC.
attack [roll1]
damage [roll2]
AC is now 22

Benejeseret
2008-01-31, 12:54 PM
Valkyn

Whether it be the lack of a hearty breakfast, the uneven surface, or the weight of your gear, you fail to clear the distance and plunge into the mucky waters below.

[failed jump by 5 or more. Valkyn needs to make a Swim check and a Fort Save]

[tactics: the crate is 'stationary' about 10' away from the plank-way. That is 10' of 'void' space and the crate with elder is in the next 'square' making him 15' away when it comes to swinging at him. The closest it is to any walkway is 10'. The Elder is clearly readying himself for combat and is currently muttering prayers and fishing around in a spell component bag. It is Grax's go next followed by the elder.]

Zyks
2008-01-31, 01:05 PM
that wasn't so lucky. The forum rollers don't like me. Maybe I'll try invisible castle sometime.

Swim [roll0]
Fort [roll1]

edit: ha! threatening the roller worked! natural 20 on fort!

Colt
2008-01-31, 09:03 PM
Grax tosses the chain to his left hand and draws his crossbow out and fires it at the fleeing man.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-01, 10:07 AM
Igor started to look for a boathook.

[roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-01, 12:47 PM
Grax
The bolt embeds into the side of the crate with a dull thud. The elder's fanatic eyes rest on you as he points right at you, "Approach!" His voice is incredibly deep and reverberates across your being.
[Make a will save DC=14 or directly approach the man - and fall into the water. If you lose by less than 5 I will let you turn it into a standing jump check DC=10]

Igor
No boathook is readily available, but you find three empty barrels and and a fishing net [all of which belongs to a sailor somewhere]. You also see a crowd of onlookers is forming around the docks and swarm all over the crow's nests and deck-edges of the ships to watch and cheer.

Colt
2008-02-04, 10:46 AM
Will save [roll0]
Jump [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-02-04, 11:09 AM
Grax shrugs off the magical command and clears his mind. He comes out of it to see his companions.......

[fill in the blank, Igor and then Valkyn up next]

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-04, 11:15 AM
Igor decided to roll one of the barrels into the water, why hew didn't know but he had to do something.

1d20-1

Zyks
2008-02-04, 11:32 AM
Vlakyn

Valkyn tries to maneouvre himself over to the crate, pulling himself through the "waters" of the Ankh.

Swim check [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-04, 12:45 PM
[the barrel is in the water, and Valkyn has grabbed onto it to stay afloat - but fails to swim farther according to rolls. I am also going to say that the bolt Grax hit the crate with can be used to aid climb checks to get onto the crate from the water.]

[You're up again Colt, Grax is still on the plank-way and free of the clerics mind-influence.]

((OOC: bah, it keeps telling me this message is too short, so this is all filler))

Benejeseret
2008-02-07, 05:20 PM
The rest of you can continue, sorry for the delay and not moving things along sooner. If Colt does not respond at some point soon I will recruit again (also to bring you to around 4 active players).

Apparently the magic washing over his mind has affected Grax in a may neither of them had predicted. Grax seems to be just standing there...drooling.

Colt
2008-02-07, 05:30 PM
(OOC: I AM SOOOOOOO SORRY, I only check the thread when I get notices from my thread subscription, somehow, I must have missed one of the e-mails.)

Grax snaps back to attention, bringing his crossbow up to his shoulder again and firing at the man.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-02-07, 10:27 PM
(OOC: I'm just glad that you haven't lost interest, I had started to assume that you where drifting off. Hopefully everyone is still stoked as I have quite a bit already written or in prep. )

The jolt of the bolt rips a shell of the elder's shoulder. The expired crustacean gashes the man's cheek as it forcibly leaves the weave of the armor, leaving a small welt from the edge the weathered chin to the tip of the zygomatic arch.

He winces and cups his cheek. The moment distraction is soon lost and he begins chanting in earnest. His chant is deep, long, and continuous.

Valkyn
There is a sudden spring if fresh water bubbling up from below you. The barrel you cling to bobs violently is the rush as you feel something brushing past your legs.

roll to hit (arms) [roll0]

(OOC: lucky you...natural 1...)

As you float along the waterline, a mass of tentacles rise out of the waters on all sides. The closest one slides over the barrel...moving towards your left arm. Luckily, the leathery limb runs over a loose nail poking through the wooden frame and snags the arm, ripping a gash through the limb. All of the arms retract suddenly. A second later a squid's torso raises to the surface of the river and glares at you and the barrel with fiendish hatred.

[Tactical: the squid is right next to Valkyn in the water. It is now Igor and Valkyn's go again]

Zyks
2008-02-08, 03:09 AM
Valkyn

(Awwww crap!)

Valkyn makes an effort to get over to the mans crate, and climb himself aboard it.

Swim[roll0]
Climb[roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-02-08, 10:31 AM
Valkyn
The sopping wet umberwaldean man manages to heave himself over the lip of the floating crate, using the bolt stuck into the crate wall half-way up as a foothold.
[It took a full round action to swim, climb, and stand beside the elder]

[Onwards to Igor!]

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-08, 11:19 AM
"Go on thir, go on thir, go on thir." Shouted Igor as he stood on the defensive.

Total defense.

Benejeseret
2008-02-10, 12:36 PM
((Tactical: so we have Valkyn now on the crate next to the elder, Igor in total defense on the plank-way with Grax. Grax is next and the elder will follow.))

Colt
2008-02-10, 12:42 PM
Sensing the more immediate threat, Grax changes his aim to the squid, and fires a bolt.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-02-10, 07:56 PM
The bolt cuts the thick water. The butt of the bolt hangs in the goop for a moment before sinking below the surface [miss]. Water ripples as the squid angrily circles the crate and shakes tentacles towards all of you out of reach.

The man's chants continue. He steps back to the opposite corner of the crate [tactical: still within threat, just so that you are balanced on the crate by being opposite of you]. This time he draws a baby coral snake out of his pouch and holds it out towards Valkyn. Your presence however confines his movements.

Defensive casting concentration check DC=17.....[roll0]

The small snakes head appears to bulge. As the chanting reaches its peak, the elder nearly looses his footing trying to keep distance from Valkyn. The chanting and spell fizzle and the bulging snake explodes and dies, spewing the crate with acidic guts.

[tactical: spell failed....thus All of you can go again in your order]

Zyks
2008-02-11, 03:08 AM
So I'm on the crate now yes?

Valkyn takes his rapier and takes a jab at the old man, still fighting defensively.

Using combat expertise. Shifting 5 attack bonus to AC to give me AC: 22

attack[roll0]
damage[roll1]

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-12, 05:57 AM
Igor continued to cheer as he looked at the fight. "Everyone worship that man."

Colt
2008-02-12, 06:20 PM
Grax grunts at his failure to aim correctly, lines up the shot and fires another bolt at the octopus.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-02-14, 09:18 PM
The second bolt follows the first into the murky depths.

With a clang the man's shield comes forward. The tip of its rim toning against the steel trident. With a strained grunt the elder rushes toward Valkyn with the shield extended.

[bull rush, Valkyn gets an AoO first against AC 16 ]

Zyks
2008-02-15, 03:06 AM
Valkyn

attack:
edit: critical hit! damage: [roll]1d6+3

Zyks
2008-02-15, 03:07 AM
of course, you can't edit in rolls, so heres the critical damage again.
[roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-15, 07:39 AM
[critical threat actually, roll one more attack roll)

Zyks
2008-02-16, 04:23 AM
of course, forgot sorry.
[roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-16, 02:41 PM
[wierd, just lost all my text....anyway - unfortunately not a critical but did do 5 damage. Does not stop the bullrush though so we need opposed str checks]

The elder's rush is met with a piercing pain stabbing into his left thigh. He cries out and begins to stumble, but the momentum of the rush slams him into Valkyn as the crate bobs violently beneath them.

bullrush [roll0]

Zyks
2008-02-16, 06:04 PM
Opposed strength check: [roll0] oh dear, no STR bonus

Zyks
2008-02-16, 06:10 PM
(sorry for double post, lets try again)

[roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-17, 12:48 AM
The crate wobbles. Winded and pained, the old man pants and backs up to his side of the crate again. He weakly raises his shield once more and tries to catch his breath.

[you three again Valkyn/Igor/Grax]

Zyks
2008-02-17, 05:24 AM
Valkyn

Valkyn goes into a defensive stance and shouts to the man

Give up! you know you're beaten. Leave this place, stop preaching your false message, and leave the people in peace. I don't want to have to cut you down.

Total defense
diplomacy check: [roll0]

Colt
2008-02-18, 07:30 AM
Grax yells to him, "You're outnumbered any way.", And turns his crossbow to point at the man for further emphasis.

Benejeseret
2008-02-19, 10:35 PM
"There will be no peace so long as the water suffers," he pants, trying to right himself. He glances quickly downward before refocusing on his foes. "This city will be cleansed!"

He relaxes the magic holding the crate afloat [free action]. With a unbalancing rush it falls sharply. Eight wet arms wriggle up the side towards Valkyn. [squid's readied action]

arms to hit Valkyn

if that hit (I forget your AC+defensive stance boon - let me know) them we grapple
[roll]1d20+8 and if squid wins 1d6+1

[Tactical: all this happened as free or readied actions, so it is technically still all of your turns before the elder actually takes actions. The crate is no longer magically floating and like as iceberg is mostly submerged (so the squid can get at you). If we take actions that unbalance the crate, we will need balance checks to stay on it.]

Benejeseret
2008-02-19, 10:47 PM
[/spoiler] try two: if that hit (I forget your AC+defensive stance boon - let me know) them we grapple
[roll0] and if squid wins [roll1] [/spoiler]

Zyks
2008-02-20, 07:19 AM
AC of 19 I believe. Thats if its just total defense. I don't think I used combat expertise, so yeah 19 is about right. So thats a miss to grapple me right?

Benejeseret
2008-02-21, 12:06 AM
(OOC: ya, your in the clear again {cough}drang it{cough}. So all of you can make your normal actions still (other than Valkyn who is in full defense but still gets a move action if he wishes))

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-21, 11:46 AM
"Go on you two, you can do it their's nothing to it." Said Igor still in full defence. "What will you want for dinner?"

Zyks
2008-02-21, 12:44 PM
Valkyn

{muttered}Squid for preference....

I'll not use that move action, theres not a lot I can do with it.

Colt
2008-02-22, 07:45 AM
"Well then, Squid it is!" Grax says, and fires a bolt towards the squid.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-02-23, 09:32 AM
The squid lashes about angrily as suctioned feelers out the bolt lodged at the base of a tentacle. Its larger limbs reach for Valkyn once more from the inky black water.

arms to hit [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-23, 09:37 AM
The frustrated cleric growls at you as he rummages around his component pouch. He tries to center his mind despite the chaos and focus whatever is in his hand.

Concentration check defensive casting [roll0]

And fails again as the crate violently rocks in the water.

(OOC: booooooooooo)

Zyks
2008-02-23, 10:53 AM
Valkyn

Not sure if its my turn yet, but here goes for my next action

Unhappy that the man won't see sense, and that it shoul have to come to this, Vlakyn charges the man, intent on knocking him from the crate and into the water.

This is your own fault!

Charge and then bullrush
strength check: [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-23, 11:54 PM
AoO to hit with the shield (offhand bash) [roll0]

Resist rush = [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-02-23, 11:59 PM
(natural 1...this old guy is having a bad day)

The elder is clearly caught off guard by your sudden rush. His feeble attempt to raise his shield between you allows an easy kick to his exposed wrist, sending the shield flying off to land in the muck.

Soon after a larger splash accompanies the first as the elder lands face-first into the Ankh. Rather than splutter or bob, he kicks once and falls beneath the surface of the dark waters.

[Tactical: the man is now underwater somewhere, but the dark waters provide total concealment. The squid is still quite findable as it is raised half out of the water to attack Valkyn.]

Colt
2008-02-25, 07:44 AM
(OOC: Could I walk to somewhere on the bridge or street, where I could melee the squid?)

Emperor Demonking
2008-02-25, 12:23 PM
"Was that squid thing just a joke or do you actually want it?"

Zyks
2008-02-25, 12:39 PM
Just a joke really. Now what do we do about him? he seems to have sunk.

Benejeseret
2008-02-25, 07:45 PM
((OOC: the squid however has not and it still trying to eat you...act accordingly :smallwink: Grax has always jump down onto the crate as well, or into the water, to melee the squid))

Colt
2008-02-27, 08:39 PM
Grax puts his crossbow back in his backpack, and then jumps for the crate.

Jump [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-02-28, 09:31 AM
Grax
Makes the crate with ease (move action) and is within reach of the squid.

Colt
2008-02-29, 07:38 AM
Grax steadies himself on the box and swings his chain at the squid.

Attack[roll0]
damage[roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-03-03, 08:29 PM
The chain passes over the squid during the upward bobbing of the crate.

[Valkyn and Igor still get to do something before the squid's turn]

Benejeseret
2008-03-06, 09:49 AM
((General kick in the butt, are we stalled? Was it me? Valkyn and Igor get to go and then the 'squid' again. Once this battle ends we can bring in the new character and.....profit.))

Emperor Demonking
2008-03-06, 10:46 AM
Igor goes total defense.

Zyks
2008-03-06, 12:12 PM
Valkyn

I'm still on the crate right?

Leaning over the side of the crate, Valkyn plunges his rapier downwards towards the squid.

attack: [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-03-06, 09:27 PM
[tactical: yes, Valkyn and Grax on the crate fighting with Igor up on the deck. Both swings missed.]

With the dips and swells of the two of you bounding around the rocking crate no flesh greets your weapons. The very waters around you seems excessively active. Ripples spread out from nothing on the surface and then vanish, waves buck but never travel. The river seems to squirm.

Many of the sailors watching the lot of you struggle begin whispering and making holy signs to ward off ill spirits.

(Igor, as the closest to the sailors make spot/listen checks and knowledge (religion).)

The squid reaches for Valkyn to hit with arms [roll0]

Having both previously been submerged, you both feel the water layer over your skin and cloths tingle, then shiver, until wicking off of you towards a rising wave. A few of the sailors cry out and more than one runs off.

The water animates before you into a large grasping fist bearing down with the crash of a wave upon Grax. Grax, the water is attacking....[roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-03-06, 09:34 PM
((Since I'm pretty sure 19 hits Grax))

A flurry of water slightly heavier than you smashes into your flank, injuring and bruising your thigh. takes [roll0] blunt damage

Colt
2008-03-08, 08:42 AM
"Dang it! That hurt!" He says, and whips his chain once again towards the squid "That loony is underwater somewhere!"

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-03-10, 09:42 AM
Small wisps of reality seem to twists and shiver around the invertebrate as the bonds holding it to this world slip loose. The squid vanishes.

(Here is what the future holds 1) need the spot/listen from Igor, 2) Valkyn and Igor get to go, 3) The the water and _____ get to attack again before finishing with Grax.)

Emperor Demonking
2008-03-11, 12:12 PM
[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

Zyks
2008-03-11, 12:51 PM
Valkyn

Not wanting to get any more water on his person than there already is, Valkyn tries to jump back onto the pier, where he stops and looks wildly around

"I've no idea how, but that man seems to be underwater. But we still need rid of him!

Jump check: [roll0]
spot: [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-03-11, 07:50 PM
Igor
(Wow, great rolls). As you stand above overlooking the scuffle below you can hear snippets of the whisperings of sailor all around you.

"Blimey, looka tha water, just like the waves that old Hendrick over at the saloon was ravin' on about."

"Bleedin bad signs. I told ya that old coot was more than just a loony he...."

"(many swears, cries, and yells)"

"While everyones distracted Jal, go fer the crate..."

During a quick glance behind, you notice two distinct groups of onlookers within the crowd. They are immobile and unresponsive while all those around them are cheering, swearing, and pushing around for a better view. One group is composed primarily of Hobgoblins. ((In this world they represent the oriental or eastern-feel traders - Knowledge (Local) to know more.)) The second group stands apart and they seem to be staring each other down. The leader of the second group is a slim, graceful woman with eerily pale blue skin and long silver hair alive in a breeze of winds not effecting those around her.

As Valkyn leaps up to the plank-way your gaze is drawn toward him. Over his shoulder as he stumbles onto the deck you notice a dark shape just under the waters a few feet dock-ward of the crate. The water ripples overtop the silhouette.

Valkyn

You make the leap and pull yourself up onto the plank-way once more. In your frantic scans of the water you see nothing distinctive in the ripples spreading out from the squid's death-throes.

Grax

The mass of water slams down at you again [roll0]. If the weight of the slap connects it deals [roll1] bashing damage.

Emperor Demonking
2008-03-12, 12:33 PM
"Thir, how long until this fight will end? Everyone underneath the area near theirth thomething. Lady, may I athk how you get your hair like that?" Shouted Igor, still in full defense.

Colt
2008-03-12, 01:40 PM
Grax jumps back to the safety of the shore, and moves away from the water's edge.

Jump [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-03-16, 12:26 PM
Grax tumbles into the muck with a wet sucking splash.

(Make a swim check, you can finish your action to swim over to the docks if you pass)

Emperor Demonking
2008-03-16, 01:02 PM
(He's just generally yelling. He's asking how the woman gets her hair to move in the breeze that isn't there.)

Colt
2008-03-16, 05:38 PM
Swim 1d20
Will post if i make save.

Zyks
2008-03-16, 06:07 PM
Valkyn

I'm really at a loss on what to do for once, anyone got any ideas? I think this is one of those "get creative" moments

Benejeseret
2008-03-18, 05:05 PM
((OOC: huh...my last post seems to be lost to the ether....sorry guys I did post a day ago....here it is again))

[Grax - your roll failed...please try again]

The two groups become uneasy and stir as the focus of the crowds shifts toward them at the stitched man's odd yelling. They shoot each other one last collective glare before melting into the backdrop of people swarming in to watch the fight. Whatever their grievances, it would seem this is not the intended forum for them with so many eyes.

A small yelp and splash is followed by a round of cheers and curses which draws attention back to the waterfront. You notice money exchanging hands throughout the onlookers at each of your actions. It seems a booky is never far off in this city and entertainment is entertainment whatever its form.

(Igor and Valkyn get full actions. Grax may or may not sink/swim, and then the "water" gets to go again)

Zyks
2008-03-18, 05:24 PM
Valkyn

Valkyn moves to the edge of the water, and leans down, offering his hand to Grax in an attempt to help him get out of the Ankh

Hopefully give some bonus to getting out?

Colt
2008-03-18, 08:25 PM
Grax dips below the surface, gasping for air, he pulls for the surface

Swim [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-03-20, 02:17 PM
Grax breaks the surface and swims over to Valkyn's dangling hand. His small frame is easily hoisted up to dock-side.

The animated water below you swirls in a circle angrily before dissolving into the rippling goop. The crowd around you seem to groan in disappointment, save for a few individuals grinning ear to ear and collecting on their healthy bets.

Igor
you notice the dark shape you saw earlier under the water move southward and towards the drainage pipes.

A small band of local merchants approach you.

Emperor Demonking
2008-03-21, 04:18 AM
Igor continued to watch the dark area deciding to leave the talking to the master.

Zyks
2008-03-21, 04:54 AM
Valkyn

Dammit, we aren't going to catch him at this rate {turning to the merchants} Can I help you sirs?

Colt
2008-03-21, 06:41 AM
Grax walks away from the water and onto the street next to Valken. "Anyone have a towel?: he asks.

Benejeseret
2008-03-21, 04:20 PM
The small approaching group seems to be arguing amongst themselves. You overhear: "Look, the nutter's gone, I say give them the reward and be done with it...the old fool must be drowned by now!" and other replies, "We have no proof! They might have riled the old fart up and brought disaster on us all, I say don't give em a cent and keep it as insurance." to which there is a quick, "Quite Tolus, they might hear you."

"Ah," starts the lead man, "I see you are the local Ombudsmen yes? Well done lads, it seems you are the first to try and uproot that pain in the arse. The watch sure haven't been a lick of help with him...religious freedoms they say." He pauses, "So we, he glares at the one names Tolus, have agreed that the man is likely drowned and will be giving you half the reward moneys. Return in a weeks time to claim the rest if he is indeed gone for good and has not returned."

The man hands you a modest coin-purse, the then ushers the rest of the merchants back to their wares.

(150g worth of coins)

Benejeseret
2008-03-24, 08:31 PM
((as usual, a fairly free-form game and up to you guys to chart next coarse of action. If you want, I can make it more linear to ease group dynamics.))

((One thing you should do is setup how Hematite will be joining you. Now is a great time to introduce him before attending to the other contracts. ))

Colt
2008-03-24, 09:33 PM
"I vote we go back to base and dry off, not all of us have long legs."

Zyks
2008-03-25, 11:50 AM
Valkyn

After replacing his rapier in its scabbard, Valkyn hands out the money equally.

Well I am a little damp myself, lets get back.

Benejeseret
2008-03-26, 09:58 AM
The disappointed masses disperse to leave you alone of your soggy trail back to the office. The cold begins to set in and your wet feet begin collecting the weight of snow and ice upon them.

(Those of you wet make a Fort save. Those of you with Survival ranks can make a check to help yourself or help the others.)

As the door to your office swings open, you stumble in and find the warmth of the small stove.

Fruitcake perks up, "Ohhh, wipe those feetz misters, I don't do moppin'. O! O! and you have an appointment!"

She shuffles a few papers and looks over to the corner, "And it is set to start.....now."

In the corner stands a very short a troll. He is black and shiny, or at least the parts of him that aren't scuffed up are sort of shiny. He wears leather armor that looks like it took several skins of whatever animal was used to make it. Often there are a few small metallic objects stuck to his back that it appears he is unaware of.

Emperor Demonking
2008-03-26, 10:15 AM
Igor gave Fruitcake a look as he entered, turning to the troll, Igor got a chair and took it to him. "Theel three to thit down."

Zyks
2008-03-26, 11:00 AM
Valkyn

Oh, a newcomer right? Well I guess our entrance didn't make such a great impression He squeezes goo from the Ankh out of his pony-tail. Well I suppose we could use the extra man... err troll power

fort save [roll0]

The Maverick
2008-03-26, 08:04 PM
The troll waves Igor's offered chair away politely. Turning to Valkyn, he grins, ""Hehe, yup, I been told dat I'm s'posed to been your new bodyguard. Da name's Hematite!" Hematite walks up to Valkyn and extends a rocky arm out to shake hands. "I heard dere was some kinda fight goin' on down by da Ankh. From da smell of ya I'm assumin dat was you guys?"

Colt
2008-03-26, 09:17 PM
Grax walks through the room, heading to the bathroom. "Wonderful, now we have a walking rock in this motley crew. As long as it means I don't have to be the one bashing stuff, I'm fine. Welcome to the gang Hermaphrodite." he quickly pulls out his books and jots in the recent events.

Benejeseret
2008-03-28, 06:43 AM
((Sorry, I was leaving time for RP intros etc. Do not feel rushed, but whenever you're done perhaps show our troll your current job postings:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66973

Let me know if when you're ready and heading back out and to what ends since it is only about mid-day))

Colt
2008-04-03, 06:12 AM
Grax walks back into the room, having dried off some. He sits in front of the fire, and tries to get some of the water out of his hair. "Well, who should we try to find next? Thief or the slaver? I'm partial to anything that will keep us away from the Ankh."

Emperor Demonking
2008-04-03, 06:48 AM
"I would go with what thir wants us to do. Thir might want to deal with the thllaver." Said Igor looking at Valkyn.

Zyks
2008-04-03, 10:30 AM
Valkyn

The slaver may be easier to find than the thief. Thieves fdont tend to have a base of operations. We might catch some stuff on our way to the next target anyhow

The Maverick
2008-04-03, 03:23 PM
Hematite (who had been chuckling at Grax's comment up to this point) shrugs, "Sounds good ta me. My job's just bustin heads, you point, I swing."

Benejeseret
2008-04-05, 11:25 AM
Fruitcake pulls up the guild post on the slaver while debating the next course of action.

Theor H'rashin

Location unknown, but is known to affiliate with the Blackwater Gang in the North-West district of town.

She distributes the flier around before returning to her paperwork.

((This section is really meant to be a classic urban tracking and piece together clues as to his whereabouts. Try local knowledge checks on specific gangs, locations, industry. Rely of Gather Information check, and check in to anyone or any organization you think might hold some of the clues (the watch as one example) and use those social skills! It's a mystery.))

Benejeseret
2008-04-07, 07:27 PM
((this would be where someone leads everyone out, or you split up to gather info......or something))

Zyks
2008-04-08, 05:36 AM
Valkyn

Anyone have any ideas where to start? contacts or anything? Just heading north west and trying to find the blackwater gang seems a bit... vague. We could do with stuff to go on first, like knowing what we're dealing with.

Colt
2008-04-08, 06:32 AM
"How about we approach this from 2 ways. Valkyn, and the Igor can check the more reputable places, the guard, maybe some high end hangouts. Hermaphrodite and I will go check at the Mended Drum and any other places we can think of. Meet back here tonight."

Benejeseret
2008-04-08, 10:15 PM
Valkyn and the Igor

You make your way to the main Watchhouse, and seek out the front desk. The young Sargent is a clean shaven towny with too much paperwork and a half-eaten dribbler's pie on his desk. On of those sort.

He is mostly indifferent to your rank and affiliations but offers to redirect you the best he can.

(here is where you try rolls or RP the situation to get information, contacts, files, people or whatever you believe might help your hunt.)

Hematite and Grax

You head into the seedier parts of town. Which brings you to the park with all its trees and gardens. Eventually you make it past all that and get to the rougher area. There are more side-streets here than streets. To the left is the Mended Drum, while outside are a few urchins.

(Open to see where you take this)

The Maverick
2008-04-10, 12:43 AM
Hematite walks up to one of the urchins, "Hey dere fella! Me and my pal here", he gestures to Grax, "we were just passin through da area and we decided we wanted ourselves a drink!" He suddenly leans in close and continues in a whisper, looking back at Grax occasionally, "But y'see, my friend gets kinda rowdy when he's had one too many drinks in 'im, and I'm tryin to avoid what happened to us de last time we went out drinkin." Hematite shakes his head sadly, "Dat poor bugger he hit wid dat table never got back up off da floor... So I was wondrin, you see any rougher types walk into da place tonight? Y'know, ganger types, theifer types, or dose seedy types you think might be da kind dat traffic in "goods" dat ain't so lawful?"

Here's a bluff check if I need it. [roll0]

Colt
2008-04-10, 06:42 AM
Grax tries to help in this charade by looking as nasty as possible.

Intimidate [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-04-14, 08:17 AM
Grax and Hematite

The dichotomy of the situation seems to much for the urchin. As his mind struggles to work out the fight between his eyes and his ears, the left of him is left to accept the talkative troll and little brute.

"Y'y'es sir, m'mister troll sir." the urchin struggles to keep the dangerous gnome in line of sight without ever looking at him, "the Skylarks have been known to hang out inside, s'sir." With what little good sense remains in the lad gets his feet going and he flees the strange pair to find his priest, and his mother, and a stiff drink in that order.

Zyks
2008-04-14, 08:51 AM
Valkyn

Good day to you Sargent, we're the ombudsmen for the mechants guild, and we're out looking for our next... err... client you might say. If the watch could help out we would be most grateful. We could use any information you may have on Theor H'Rashin, and if thats too specific, perhaps the blackwater gang. Maybe the watch would help us with our enquiries for a change eh?

He smiles, trying to look like a best mate who could use a favour.

Benejeseret
2008-04-17, 08:37 AM
"Well if ye ain't gotta complaint then I ain't tha one ye want. Try Quagmire over in the hall a records. It's just down the stairs and to tha left."

The worn stairs lead you do a dry and dusty basement. Along the left wall sits an old plaque, no longer hanging, but resting near the boards of the floor. It reads "Hall of Records". Across the hall is the second and only other room down here. This one is in slightly better repair and reads "Evidence."

Walking into the Hall of Records gives a slightly distorted feeling crossing the threshold. You find yourselves among a very, very long line of bookshelves and small cabinets filed to the brim and overflowing with stacks of reports.

Colt
2008-04-17, 09:49 AM
Grax

"Well, that worked. Good idea. Now, let's see if there's anyone inside." says Grax, as he heads for the bar door.

Spot (Inside) [roll0]

The Maverick
2008-04-18, 12:17 PM
Hematite walks behind Grax as they head toward the door, "Yeah, a couple-a thugs don't sound too bad.

Spot Check: [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-04-18, 08:09 PM
Hematite and Grax

Inside the pub is busy but hardly full. The large front room has some ten to fifteen various parties strewn about the thick, oak tables. To your left stretches a raised bar and behind it a row of propped up kegs. This is where Hematite looses track, as a angulated and shapely pile of granite is leaning against the wooden bar - which is bowing slightly under the strain. The female troll is wearing a short pleated steel short skirt and cocktail dress. She has clearly had a boulder job.

Grax, preferring the softer sort, hardly notices the dolled up waitress and scans the room. The dwarf behind the bar is filling steel gilded mugs and placing them on a large serving tray (and for a one tonne waitress it is a LARGE tray). Nearly 10 mugs are already on it and it seems he has a few more to go. The crowd in this room however are all drinking out of carved wood mugs and seem disinterested in the bar-dwarf's business.

Near the rear of this room is a small door, a polished dark oak matching everything else in the bar, that is currently closed. A thin man leans against the wall beside the door frame, one legs propped up behind him.

Colt
2008-04-19, 08:37 PM
Leaning towards Hematite, Grax whispers, "We want to try intimidating everyone to see if they know anything? Maybe pretend we're from some other gang that's looking for the Blackwaters? This type doesn't look like they'll just tell us if we ask nicely."

Zyks
2008-04-20, 05:04 AM
Valkyn

Vlakyn glances across at the room of evidence efore heading into the records room/

Perhaps theres something of use in there? but I guess as a visitor we aren't allowed in there

Wow. Well it'd take forever to find anything we need in here, though I'm sure it'll be here somewhere. Hello? Mr. Quagmire are you here? we could use a hand and the sergeant at the front desk directed us here.

The Maverick
2008-04-20, 05:13 PM
Still staring at the (by Troll standards) attractive waitress, Hematite waves his hand at Grax and mutters, "Uh, yeah, dat sounds fine ta me. You see anybody you wanna start wit'?" His inner rogue kicks in for a brief moment causing him to look away from the waitress and add, "Oh and if we're gonna go wiv' dat plan we're gonna need ta pick a legit soundin' gang name."

Benejeseret
2008-04-21, 11:56 AM
Valkyn

Your voice drifts endlessly into the recesses of the stuffy basement room.

"And what do you seek?" A voice at your elbow startles both of you. Likely from around a shelf the keeper of records seems to have appeared suddenly behind you. He is a squat, aged man with thick glasses and a gnarled walking cane.

Colt
2008-04-23, 09:51 PM
Grax

"I vote we simply walk in and try to intimidate them into telling us. It worked for the last guy." Grax proposes, "Call ourselves the Crunchers or something. Demand that they tell us anything they know about the Blackwater Gang."

Assuming Hematite is fine with this, Grax kicks open the door with the troll behind him and yells "O'kay people, we're the Crunchers, and we looking for the Blackwater gang. They're on our turf, and we don't take too kindly to that. Tell us where they are."

Intimidate [roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-04-25, 09:44 AM
The look-out leaning against the door frame takes a draw of ale just as Grax struts by his ankle. The first indication of anything amiss comes with the wooded crack! as the door smashes open. He spews ale and foam out his nose in surprise...and nearly wets himself.

Inside the room twelve rough but lithe gang members are startled by your sudden outburst. Thud figures fly off a board, several drinks are dropped, and two whose chairs where once casually leaning find themselves flat on their backs. Even the gang leader, a thin, wispy woman of unusual beauty is rather intimidated by your entrance.

Wow....to be honest I did not expect that, nor such good rolling...hehehe. Well, you have [roll0] x10 minutes. During this time they will answer all your questions (as friendly) and grant you a bit of authority. They assume you have a very large gang outside/surrounding them. After the alloted time they are going to realize otherwise...and become Hostile.

Work your magic, but have a very thorough exit strategy.

I will post the answer to your first question soon, gotta run to work

Zyks
2008-04-25, 05:40 PM
Valkyn

Woah! didnt see you there sir. We need some information, and the watch is our first port of call, you might say. We're the Ombudsmen for the merchants guild. If you have any information on one Theor H'Rashin, or if thats too specific, perhaps the blackwater gang, we would be most grateful for your help.

The Maverick
2008-04-25, 10:30 PM
Hematite cracks a huge grin and unslings a rather large club off of his back, patting the rock head of the weapon in his free hand menacingly. "Aright, you heard 'im fellas! And lady," Hematite nods politely towards the woman. "Anyone wanna tell us when an' where we can find de Blackwaters or are we gonna have ta start askin' de hard way!?"

Benejeseret
2008-04-26, 09:03 AM
Grax and Hematite
"Ah....the Blackwater? Ya, OK," the riled speaker nearest the door glanced back to the airy woman, "Ya, those vermin and us are in a turf war too see, only they care nuthin' bout the streets. They're all underfoot see."

"If it weren't fer the smell you'd never know those dirty Hobgoblins were about at all." Another man pipes up while righting his chair. "Right nasty lot ain't they...but you seem ta be doin alright hehe...ha," he laughs awkwardly to hide his fear. Any gang with the power and cahoonas to smash right into SkyLark territory like they's owns the place must be scary folk indeed.

Valkyn

"Ah, yes, the name seems familair," the elder waddles off and returns with a thick file. He offers you a nearby desk, "criminal files are public here at the Watch...but I am afraid they cannot leave this archive, please have a seat."

(( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4248571#post4248571 ))

Colt
2008-04-29, 07:01 AM
Grax

"You mean they're underfoot? Don't speak in riddles. We don't like riddles. And we don't like having out time wasted."

Benejeseret
2008-04-29, 09:57 PM
Huh...oh, right. They are UNDER our feet, skulking around the sewers. Never catch us there, no sir.

Colt
2008-05-02, 06:45 AM
Grax

Grax looks at Hematite and says, "Got anything you want to know, Rocky?"

The Maverick
2008-05-03, 02:05 PM
Hematite leans his head to one side and stares at the talkative SkyLark, "Yeah... if dese punks are runnin' around in de sewers, dey gotta come up to get food an' stuff somewhere. Any idea were dat might be Mr. Helpful?"

Benejeseret
2008-05-05, 05:49 PM
"Uh, nah mate. If we knew where thems come up fer air we'd had ran em off long ago eh?"

Colt
2008-05-05, 05:55 PM
"Weeel then, we will look for where they're coming up. Thank you for your help, we will be heading off. Thank you for the help. We may be back later." Grax then turns and heads out the door, motioning for Hematite to follow him. Once outside, he yells "Ok guys, you can head out guys. We got the info." Before heading off back to the base to wait for the others, assuming Hematite doesn't have any other ideas.

The Maverick
2008-05-06, 09:01 PM
As they leave Hematite shouts back to the SkyLarks over his shoulder, "Back to yer drinks folks. I don't wanna see anybody followin' us you got me? Oderwise de Watch is gonna be cleanin' what's left of yer gang off de walls."

Benejeseret
2008-05-08, 10:35 PM
As you head out the door you can hear tables being dragged across the floor and a lot of commotion from back inside. It seems they have barricaded themselves inside.

(you have roughly 40min until they start to see through your ruse and then will become Hostile. They will try and track you down for a few days, and will be hostile if you ever meet again)