PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Enhancement: BURSTING issue!

goken04
2007-12-22, 05:41 PM
Okay, the SRD lists Flaming Burst enhancements as +2. However, the MIC lists Acidic Burst as a +1. Which is correct? Is the answer both?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-12-22, 05:48 PM
the MIC is correct. Whenever something is updated into a newer book, the newer entry is correct.

Also, Acidic Burst, like all the other bursts, is a 'Synergy' bonus. You must already have Corrosive (if I am not mistaken) on the weapon already. The MIC has made it cheaper to upgrade weapons, in a manner of speaking.

Starsinger
2007-12-22, 05:51 PM
Also, Acidic Burst, like all the other bursts, is a 'Synergy' bonus. You must already have Corrosive (if I am not mistaken) on the weapon already. The MIC has made it cheaper to upgrade weapons, in a manner of speaking.

Really?? Color me a nub then.. I assumed you could have a +1 Fiery Burst weapon without it having been a Flaming weapon first.

goken04
2007-12-22, 05:52 PM

Gotcha! I just was coming to post how I finally figured it out! THanks!

Ferreon
2007-12-22, 05:56 PM
to Starsinger: not any more. MIC decided that people are more likely to put an elemental property on as a +1 bonus then upgrade it later (not that it stops you applying both at roughly the same time)

to OP

effectively the answer is both, because as Quirinus said, Acidic Burst is added onto the Corrosive property for a total EEB of +2 which as you already are aware is the same cost as one of the standard burst from DMG

Nebo_
2007-12-22, 05:56 PM
Really?? Color me a nub then.. I assumed you could have a +1 Fiery Burst weapon without it having been a Flaming weapon first.

You can, but it's inefficient. MIC has new rules for the burst enchantments because they suck so badly. They now cost the same as a +1 weapon on top of the price of your energy weapon, which is a lot cheaper than adding another +1.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-22, 07:28 PM
You can, but it's inefficient. MIC has new rules for the burst enchantments because they suck so badly. They now cost the same as a +1 weapon on top of the price of your energy weapon, which is a lot cheaper than adding another +1.

Cheaper? No, you pay the same. You get a sword +1. Then you add flaming, paying the different for the +2 (base +1, and flaming +1). Then you add the burst, paying the difference between +2 and +3 (base +1, flaming +1, and burst +1). It's the same cost as making the sword +3 from the beginning.

Additionally, there's the "surge" abilities, that adds extra damage a limited number of times/days, that are also synergy abilities. You can have a flaming surge weapon without needing to add the burst ability.

So, you can mix and match the effects you want.

Douglas
2007-12-22, 08:29 PM
The end price for a burst weapon is exactly the same regardless of the source. The MIC just makes it so you can upgrade, for example, a flaming weapon to flaming burst rather than having to go directly to flaming burst.

By Rules As Written:
DMG:
+1 weapon: 2000
upgrade from +1 to +1 flaming: 6000
upgrade from +1 flaming to +1 flaming burst: not possible, there are no rules for removing or replacing a special property
upgrade from +1 to +1 flaming burst: 16000
Total cost of +1 flaming burst: 18000

MIC:
+1 weapon: 2000
upgrade from +1 to +1 flaming: 6000
upgrade from +1 flaming to +1 flaming burst: 10000
upgrade from +1 to +1 flaming burst: 16000
Total cost of +1 flaming burst: 18000