PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Loathing Base Class - The Sauceror

mp122984
2007-12-23, 12:13 AM
Hello once more. I would have gotten this soon sooner, but Crimbo is a special time that demands much attention (all of you Kingdom of Loathing Players know what I'm talking about). But here is the last class - the Sauceror! I wanted to use a form of eldritch blast, but that's not open game content and in any event I wanted something simpler that I still liked (which I did; it's the Salsaball and related spells.) I got as many of the Sauceror skills in as I could and I really like the result, but is it too strong? I appreciate any input, suggestions, criticism, or other comments.

As additional news, my next update should be a few feats, so please feel free to suggest Feat ideas that you'd like to see along with your other comments. Also, I'm hoping to get a pdf up with the work I've done so far. I'd like to thank everyone who's given their kind words. This project's been a lot of fun, and perhaps there's still more yet to do. But that's later. Now it's time for the last base class:

The Sauceror

Alignment: Any good or any chaotic
Hit Die: d6

Class Skills
The Sauceror’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcane) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Table: The Sauceror
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2| Saucecrafting, Salsaball(1d4)

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| Saucy Salve

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3| Saucesphere

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Stream of Sauce (2d4)

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Intrinsic Spiciness

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| Elemental Saucesphere

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5| Saucestorm (3d4)

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6| Advanced Saucecrafting

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6| Jalapeno Saucesphere

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Wave of Sauce (4d4)

11th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7| Impetuous Sauciness

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8| Jabanero Saucesphere

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+4|
+8| Saucegeyser (5d4)

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+9| Immaculate Seasoning

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+9| The Way of Sauce

[/table]

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the Sauceror

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Saucerors are proficient with all simple weapons. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields. Armor of any type interfere’s with a Sauceror’s movements, which can cause Arcane Spell Failure.

Saucecrafting: A Sauceror’s magic is fueled by the inner flavor of his soul. Through his training, he has learned to apportion this power in measured in units which the Saucerors have dubbed “sauce doses” for sake of theme and convenience. After resting for eight hours you gain a number of sauce doses equal to three times your Sauceror level plus twice your Intelligence modifier. This is also the maximum number of sauce doses your soul can hold at any one time. You may only regain sauce doses from an 8-hour rest once per 24-hour period.

A Sauceror’s primary use for sauce doses is to cast the arcane spells he can cook up. A Sauceror casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or cleric must (see below).

To learn or cast a spell, a Sauceror must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Sauceror’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Sauceror’s Intelligence modifier. In order to cast a spell, a Sauceror must have available and expend a number of sauce doses equal to the spell’s level. If the spell’s level is modified by feats or other circumstances, the number of sauce doses required is modified accordingly.

A Sauceror’s selection of spells is extremely limited. When you begin play, choose Conjuration or Evocation. A Sauceror begins play knowing one 0-level spell of your choice from this school. At each new sorcerer level, he gains one new spell from the chosen school which can be of a spell level no higher than half your Sauceror level, rounded down. These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the Sauceror has gained some understanding of by study. The Sauceror can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered Sauceror level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a Sauceror can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the Sauceror “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, of the same school, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level Sauceror spell the Sauceror can cast. A Sauceror may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains the new spell known for the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a Sauceror need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up all his sauce doses. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Salsaball: Starting at 1st level, a Sauceror can also use his inner power to strike at foes directly, using a saucy magical energy that deals damage. You add the Salsaball to your spell list. This spell is equivalent to Magic Missile. As the Sauceror increases in strength, he gains the ability to increase the power of this spell. At 4th level, and every three levels afterwards (7th, 10th and 13th), you may expend an additional sauce dose to cause the missiles to deal an additional die of damage. Depending on the damage done, the Salsaball is also known as the Stream of Sauce, Saucestorm, Wave of Sauce, or Saucegeyser.

Saucy Salve: At 2nd level, the Sauceror begins learning how to take the power derived from his soul and move it a little upwards to heal the body. You add Cure Light Wounds to your spell list, but may only cast this spell on yourself.

Saucesphere: At 3rd level, the Sauceror becomes able to project his inner sauce outward. Once per day per Sauceror level, you may form a Saucesphere as a full-round action.

A Saucesphere appears as small flecks of sauce that surround and orbit the body as electrons would orbit a nucleus (an analogy learned from fighting Hellions, as most Saucerors know little of actual electrons or nuclei). A Saucesphere lasts one round per Sauceror level, although you may dismiss it earlier as a Free action. Once brought forth, a Saucesphere needs no further concentration to maintain. Multiple uses of a the same Saucesphere are not cumulative, but a Sauceror may have as many Saucespheres activated as he is able to summon and gain benefits from all of them.

The basic Saucesphere learned at 3rd level grants a +2 bonus to Concentration checks made when casting spells, including casting defensively.

Intrinsic Spiciness: By 5th level, the Sauceror has learned how to kick his spells up a notch. You gain the Empower Spell feat.

Elemental Saucesphere: At 6th level, the Sauceror learns to extend his understanding of spiritual tastes to understanding the elements around him, resulting in the ability to form a new Saucesphere. As long as this Saucesphere is active, whenever you would take acid, cold, electricity, or sonic damage, you may expend any number of sauce doses to reduce the damage by twice your Sauceror level for each dose expended. This effect protects your equipment as well. If you still receive damage, you could still suffer unfortunate side effects.

Advanced Saucecrafting: By 8th level, the Sauceror has learned how to use his spiritual power to more material uses. Up to three times per day, you may imbue a small amount of drinkable non-poisonous liquid with magical ability. To do so, you must choose a spell of 3rd-level or lower that you know and cast it, targeting the liquid. Instead of having its normal effect, the spell is absorbed into the liquid which becomes a potion storing that spell. When you create a potion this way, you make any choices that you would normally make when casting the spell. Whoever drinks the potion is the target of the spell.

In addition, you may use this ability to make potions of Bless, Aid, and Prayer even if you do not know the spells. Doing so expends sauce doses as if you had cast the spell on the liquid.

Jalapeno Saucesphere: At 9th level, the Sauceror has learned how to create a Saucesphere than can heal his body with the spiritual energy leaving it, ironically preventing death. As long as this Saucesphere is active, you gain 1 HP for each sauce dose you expend.

Impetuous Sauciness: By 11th level, the Sauceror learns how to imbue his creations with a more noticeable and longer-lasting aftertaste. You gain the Extend Spell feat. If you already have this feat, you gain the Persistent Spell feat instead. Furthermore, you gain an additional missile for your Salsaball spells, and one more additional missile at 13th level.

Jabanero Saucesphere: By 12th level, the Sauceror gains the ability to create the ultimate Saucesphere, one that allows him to gain strength from the uplifting experience of killing other things. As long as this Saucesphere is active, whenever a Salsaball, Stream of Sauce, Saucestorm, Wave of Sauce, or Saucegeyser spell you cast reduces at least one of its targets to negative hit points, you regain all sauce doses used to cast that spell.

Immaculate Seasoning: By 14th level, the Sauceror’s creations are always at the right temperature for the occasion. Spells you cast are treated as dealing fire or cold damage against creatures weak to fire or cold damage.

The Way of Sauce: By 15th level, the Sauceror has perfected the art of spellstoring sauce. You may use the ability granted by Advanced Saucecrafting an additional two times a day, for a total of five times a day.

In addition, you may use this ability to make potions of Freedom of Movement and Spell Resistance, even if you do not know the spells. Doing so expends sauce doses as if you had cast the spell on the liquid.

Cakedeath
2007-12-28, 03:06 AM
While fun and flavorful... I am pretty sure that the sauce in the context that you are basing your class on does not refer to salsa, ranch, or salad dressing.

"The Sauce" is a term for Booze.

Liquor

Th' Bottle

Alcohol.

If I'm not mistaken, Kingdom of Loathing borrowed the concept for the saucerer from the "adult" storybook "Bored of The Rings" wherein Gandalf is a drunkard who reads his own vomit for portents.

It's been a while since I played KOL, but yeah...

Arbitrarity
2007-12-28, 11:45 AM
No. It didn't. Any class that has saucecrafting as an ability, and makes saucespheres, etc. has nothing to do with booze.

I like it, but some of the abilities seem to finite. I think it needs more sauce doses at higher level, paticularly with salsaball. That costs doses, but you said you wanted to model it on eldiritch blast, so it's limited uses/day. On top of that, it's terrible. Compare to any other wiz/sorc damage spell.

Also, infinite potions distresses me. Is this deliberate?

Mauve Shirt
2008-01-01, 12:04 PM
Cocktailcrafting is a completely different skill.

Abjurer
2008-01-01, 12:17 PM
Saucy.

Spicy salsa: if the target fails the fort save, he must forego all other actions to chug water for one round. If he has no water or other drinkable liquid on his person, he will go to any end to acquire some. He is treated as panicked, but runs toward anything that might be a source of water. He takes a point of nonlethal pain damage every round he does not drink.