PDA

View Full Version : Residual Magic and Heighten Spell with Metamagic Spell Trigger

cupkeyk
2007-12-23, 09:14 AM
1. Can both effects of Residual Magic occur within the same spell off a wand? EG:

Mialee Casts an Empowered Heightened (level 7) Phantom AssailantsChill Touch on her first round to deal 1d4+1d2 Wisdom 1d6+1d3 damage. Then she casts Phantom AssailantsChill Touchfrom her wand the second round. Does it BOTH her INT modifier + spell level AND be modified with heightened and empowered?

2. Heighten Spell modifies the spell's level, hence does it change the minimum ability score necessary to cast a spell when determining the DC of a spell cast with a wand? EG: Gimble uses a five charges in a wand of Phantom Assailant to heighten it to level six. The DC is now 20, +6 (spell level), +3 (minimum charisma to cast a 6th level spell), +1 because Gimble is a gnome? Or will the wand's 4th level limit keep this from taking effect, making Metamagic Spell trigger useless for metamagic effects of +3 or better. What about scepters?

Kaelik
2007-12-23, 09:52 AM
As to the questions at hand, I don't know.

I do know that Phantom Assailants will not do 1d4 + 1d2 Wisdom damage.

It will do 8 Wisdom and Dex damage. And empowering it will do nothing since there are no variable effects.

cupkeyk
2007-12-23, 09:56 AM
nyuknyuk, changed.

tyckspoon
2007-12-23, 07:31 PM
hmm. You clearly get the Enduring Potency affect, that's the explicit benefit of casting a slot spell and then using a wand. Lingering Metamagic.. I think that's an 'ask your DM' case. The argument for yes would be that the 'any other effects of the spell' clause means the spell is considered as cast from your daily slots for all purposes except actually forgetting the spell; it's a vague enough phrase that this is a reasonable interpretation. The argument for no that I can think of is that it refers only to variables within the spell itself, those that reference caster level or the caster's ability scores. The Lingering Metamagic effect here is not an effect of the spell itself; it is a result of an external feat that requires a 'spell you cast', which is usually a phrase that does not apply to wands. I'm leaning towards no.

Note that if you get a yes answer, you only get to Heighten OR Empower the second spell; the feat is quite clear on that ("You can apply any one of the metamagic effects..")

2. Heighten Spell in Wands: I think it works ok. Conceptually, the extra charges being burned for the metamagic supply the energy needed. The wand still contains a valid lower-level spell; it's just the one casting of it that is being pumped up at the time of discharge. You would not be able to create a wand with a spell heightened to 5th or above, but you can metamagic it as high as you like if you have the ability to apply metamagic to spell trigger items. And yes, that would mean the assumed spellcasting stat is increased to manage whatever spell level is necessary for the heightened wand.