PDA

View Full Version : How do I deal with Stuipid Pc's?

Akennedy
2007-12-23, 02:45 PM
Okay, we've all had them, the one that urinate in the librarian's books, the one that tries to argue with the DM to get what he wants, and especially the one who becomes angry and tries to ruin everyone else's night because he's not happy with a DM's ruling.
My question is, how do I deal with it? I've played with this Pc as me being a DM and as me being a Pc, how do I tell him CN or NE isn't the alignment that lets him do anything? How do I tell him, he's ruining everyone else's night? It's beginning to become a problem, especially when teaching new characters to play, because he Min/Max's and puts everyone else to shame.
Please, any and all help would be very much appreciated! Thank you for your time and effort.

BRC
2007-12-23, 02:47 PM
with a heavy blunt object.

But seriously, the best way is to be Blunt about it, subtlty is not the best way to get your point across here.

Crow
2007-12-23, 02:48 PM
Let him DM next time. With no DMPC (because you don't use one).

Lemur
2007-12-23, 02:58 PM
If any character has bladder problems, have the next place he goes to have a magical defense in place, "because their annex branch had problems in the past". All liquids in the building are immediately infused with a strong electrical shock, or whatever else you can think of to fry his manhood off.

In general, being a jerk all the time should realistically agro the authorities.

Arguing with the DM, like Red says, is best dealt with bluntly. Have him talk to the hand or something. Or if you're feeling nice, tell him to wait until the end of the session to talk with you about what will and won't be the rulings for future sessions, rather than debating rules during the game.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-23, 03:01 PM
1) Your not dealing with a stupid PC.

2) Unless something stops you, see him out of game time to say your fed up and he has to either change or stop coming.

Roland St. Jude
2007-12-23, 03:05 PM
First, separate out what is a player problem and what is a character problem. Character problems should be dealt with by making the character subject to the logical results of the character's actions. Characters that urinate on books are likely to be kicked out, attacked, and otherwise unwelcome in the library again. Characters that make enough of a nuisance of themselves are likely to be brought up on criminal charges. Characters that are too tough for local officials will likely be hunted down by hired bounty hunters or bigger (more heroic) adventurers. If the character has to cool his heels in jail while the rest of the group of PCs proceeds without him, so be it. That's the result of his actions.

Player problems should be dealt with outside the game. I'd say directly, politely, and honestly. Explain the problem and either allow the person the chance to change their behavior or ask them to leave.

Sebastian
2007-12-23, 03:06 PM
Have you tried just make the PC face the conseguences of his action?
For example, the barbarian piss on the librarion's books, the logical effect is for the librarian to call some guards to arrest the barbarian until he repay the damage, if he kill the guards now he is an outlaw and is wanted for manslaughter, more guards he kill the higher is the reward until some (high level) bounty hunters take noitce, etc, etc, what it is imporatant is to make clear that you are not doing it out of revenge, this is just thw world that react realistically to the PC's actions, I mean what the player does think think it would happen if he went and took a dump in the middle of the local pubblic library? :)
For the other two I agree with the old, but always valid argument "if you don't like how I DM feel free to try it yourself".

If it don't work, just kick him out, or play something else if you can't just do that.

Winterwind
2007-12-23, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a clear case of disagreeing player expectations to me. Just talk it through with the offending player - not during a game, face to face, and alone. Stay calm, and just explain to him how you think the game is supposed to work, how you would get maximum fun out of the game, and explain how the issues you have with how he plays are interferring with that. Do not sound as if you were accusing him, just explain you feel there is a divergence in your respective perception of how to play the game, and you feel it would be better for everyone to find a common playstyle. Basically, make him understand your point of view.

If that works, all the better for you. If it does not, it is indicative that there are reconcillable differences in what constitutes fun for you - which is fine, players come with different expectations to roleplaying games, however in this case it might be advisable to not play the game together anymore. It's not like you can't stay friends nevertheless. But trying to force a player to play a game he does not want to play is inviting disaster. As some wise poster said on another thread about a similar problem on these forums (sorry, I can't remember either who that was nor what the thread was, else I would credit you personally), it is not advisable to try to solve OOC problems with IC solutions.

Seffbasilisk
2007-12-23, 03:11 PM
I had problems with stupid PCs in my IRL group, so when there was a near TPK and almost everyone was rolling up new characters, I told them very simply 'You have to be good. I let you have your own way before, and if failed miserably. So you have to be good this time around.' Then I railroaded them into the START of the plot and let them move on from there.

If they do something stupid, the NPCs react accordingly.

Hallavast
2007-12-23, 03:20 PM
I take away their Anime supply. :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-23, 03:45 PM
Next thread that gets derailed into an anime argument, I find the culprit and kill him with a herring.

Anyway, introduce sensible repercussions for their actions in-game, even if that means getting their character arrested or killed by the authorities. In addition to that, talk to the player out of game, away from the other players, let him know that you think he's causing problems, and ask him to modify his in-game behavior. Be calm and rational, not accusatory. Don't rise to argue with him if he gets shout-y. Just be calm and reason with him. Or kick him out if he won't be reasoned with.

Hallavast
2007-12-23, 03:51 PM
Next thread that gets derailed into an anime argument, I find the culprit and kill him with a herring.

*casts protection from herrings* :smalleek:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-23, 03:56 PM
*gets a kipper*

meet shield
2007-12-23, 03:57 PM
My english isn't good, but I'll try to say you what happened in my group, cause we had similar problem.

Our problem started when the party was formed.
We have a diplomatic CN, controllable, a spy of is tring of kill the party and not only they, LM, but in the shadow and the DM agree, so controllable, a fighter Lg, really controllable, a CN fighter, controllable (I'll give you money. Oh, really? I'll do what do you want.) and, our problem, a NM outsider who think the only important thing in the life is fight and kill.

He was really uncontrollable.

What did my DM? He tried to find something of give us a motive for continue the adventure.
The outsider, for example, was knocked down by a PNG Evil, important member of the evil group, thank a poison, I (the diplomatic) know of if I don't blast the evil, they'll destroy whit a war in the future my land. The spy have to kill us.

We had a lot of problem, but we are IN the adventure. The outsider try to kill us, the spy to, we try to discover the spy and discredite the outsider. We weren't a united group, but, for the hell, we really have fun.
If you find a mode for leave the pc free but be sure of their character stay in the adventure, find their motive, change the story for adapt it, where necessary.

And, last thing, if you don't did it, give extra pe for interpretation at the end of the session (we use 50-60 pe for level for a media interpretation, whit a max of 120 pe + or -, and negative pe if you play really bad) It's a good motive for play better, and if every pg do what their character do if they are alive, all have more fun.
But remember: you, the DM, have to be scenografic and give fun at the pc, whit an adventure of they really like. If you'll do, they'll play as good as they can.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-12-23, 06:54 PM
My english isn't good, but I'll try to say you what happened in my group, cause we had similar problem.

Our problem started when the party was formed.
We have a diplomatic CN, controllable, a spy of is tring of kill the party and not only they, LM, but in the shadow and the DM agree, so controllable, a fighter Lg, really controllable, a CN fighter, controllable (I'll give you money. Oh, really? I'll do what do you want.) and, our problem, a NM outsider who think the only important thing in the life is fight and kill.

He was really uncontrollable.

What did my DM? He tried to find something of give us a motive for continue the adventure.
The outsider, for example, was knocked down by a PNG Evil, important member of the evil group, thank a poison, I (the diplomatic) know of if I don't blast the evil, they'll destroy whit a war in the future my land. The spy have to kill us.

We had a lot of problem, but we are IN the adventure. The outsider try to kill us, the spy to, we try to discover the spy and discredite the outsider. We weren't a united group, but, for the hell, we really have fun.
If you find a mode for leave the pc free but be sure of their character stay in the adventure, find their motive, change the story for adapt it, where necessary.

And, last thing, if you don't did it, give extra pe for interpretation at the end of the session (we use 50-60 pe for level for a media interpretation, whit a max of 120 pe + or -, and negative pe if you play really bad) It's a good motive for play better, and if every pg do what their character do if they are alive, all have more fun.
But remember: you, the DM, have to be scenografic and give fun at the pc, whit an adventure of they really like. If you'll do, they'll play as good as they can.

I can handle your English, but what's with all those weird abbreviations?
LM, NM, PNG Evil? What do they mean? and is pe your version of XP?

Worira
2007-12-23, 08:28 PM
Assuming his native language is Spanish (or possibly French):
Legal Mal, Neutral Mal, Persona [Err, word for bad goes here] Grande, puntos de experiencias.
LE, NE, BBEG, XP, essentially.

Also, I'm now calling Lawful Evil creatures Legal Evil.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-23, 08:36 PM
Pordenone is in Italy I believe.

Xuincherguixe
2007-12-23, 08:38 PM
Turn them into a book, and send them back in time?

Kiero
2007-12-23, 08:39 PM
First, separate out what is a player problem and what is a character problem. Character problems should be dealt with by making the character subject to the logical results of the character's actions. Characters that urinate on books are likely to be kicked out, attacked, and otherwise unwelcome in the library again. Characters that make enough of a nuisance of themselves are likely to be brought up on criminal charges. Characters that are too tough for local officials will likely be hunted down by hired bounty hunters or bigger (more heroic) adventurers. If the character has to cool his heels in jail while the rest of the group of PCs proceeds without him, so be it. That's the result of his actions.

Player problems should be dealt with outside the game. I'd say directly, politely, and honestly. Explain the problem and either allow the person the chance to change their behavior or ask them to leave.

Character problems are often player problems too, just manifesting themselves in-character. I tend to favour the "cut straight to dealing with the player" route, since it's quicker and more effective. Usually starting along the lines of "how is this fun for everyone else, and do you realise it's souring things?".

leperkhaun
2007-12-24, 05:12 AM
Iv found that MOST times taking the player aside and having a talk with them helps out.

Also remember that actions have consequences. Characters cant do what ever they want. Some times you just have to remind them they arnt the biggest badest thing out there.

Sebastian
2007-12-24, 08:19 AM
Assuming his native language is Spanish (or possibly French):
Legal Mal, Neutral Mal, Persona [Err, word for bad goes here] Grande, puntos de experiencias.
LE, NE, BBEG, XP, essentially.

Also, I'm now calling Lawful Evil creatures Legal Evil.

actually he is Italian, but you are near enough, they are:

legale malvagio (LE) neutrale Malvagio (NE) Personaggio non giocatore (NPC) e punti esperienza (XP).

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-24, 09:49 AM
I am so using Malvagio as a BBEGs name, or perhaps a BBGG to throw of the players who are linguists.

As to the problem with the player, explain the issue to him. Show him how he is removing fun from the game, ask him to consider the fun of the other players as well as his own. If that does not work buy Ptolus or The Worlds Largest Dungeon, anything with a page count above 600 pages should work. Then smack him over the head with the book until he agrees to change his ways.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-24, 09:53 AM
A big bad god guy, I could see a bbagg but not a bbgg.

Leadfeathermcc
2007-12-24, 10:32 AM
big bad good guy.

like batman. . .or something