PDA

View Full Version : The Kroon (monster redux)

Admiral Squish
2007-12-23, 03:47 PM
Kroon
Small Abberation
Hit Dice: 1d8+2
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft (four squares) Climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +1 dex, +2 natural)
Base Attack/ Grapple: +0/-4
Attack: Slam +0 Melee (1d4-1)
Full attack: 2 slams +0 melee (1d4-1/1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5ft
Special attacks: Stinking wound, Glow
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Darkvision 60ft.
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +3
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, con 11, Int 10, Cha 12
Skills: Hide +4, climb +8 Heal +2, Survival +2, Perform (singing) +5
Feat: Self-Sufficient
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary or pair
CR:
Treasure: ½ Standard
Alignment: Neutral good
Advancement: 2-4 HD (small), 5-6 HD (medium)
Level Adjustment:+1

A curious green glow fills the cavern before you, as around the bend comes the oddest sort of creature imaginable. It pads softly across the ceiling on four legs, it's oddly-jointed arms picking things out of it's fur. The strangest part is the creature is glowing quite brightly, like a lantern. It's swivels it's small, furred face towards you on it's serpentine neck, blinks it's black beady eyes, then says, quite clearly, 'hello' in accented common.

The central body of a kroon is like a bear's about three feet long, and kept off the ground by four stout legs, each tipped in a flat, round pad covered with a biological adhesive. From the middle of the body rises a pair of long, thin arms, set upside-down, so that reaching towards the face is a downward motion. The face in mention is small, about the size of a very large soup can, with small black eyes and a wide, toothless mouth that makes a kroon look rather goofy. The head in on the end of a longish, tapered neck, allowing it to look behind itself with serpentine fluidity, and the whole creature is covered with bright green fur that glows brightly in the darkness. One would never guess these creatures sentient, as they munch on cave-fungi and sing haunting tunes that echo down the cavernous tunnels of their homes.

Combat: Kroon tend to avoid combat whenever possible. Their stinking wound and Racial aversion abilities tend to keep them out of most trouble, but whatever does still get through is usually weakened enough to make them handle-able by the kroon in question

Glow: Kroon shed light like hooded lanterns from their fur at will. Activation is a standard action, and cool down is a full-round action. Kroon get a -10 to hide while glow is active.

Stinking wound: if a kroon takes slashing or piercing damage, their fur is cut and the bioluminescent substance is released, a foul-smelling substance, producing a ten-foot radius stinking cloud (DC=13+HD+Charisma Modifier fortitude save, or be sickened for ten rounds) The scent remains around them as a centered radius effect until the damage is healed, magically or otherwise. If a kroon is hit by a bite attack, the creature biting must make a fortitude save (DC=18+HD+Cha Modifier) or become nauseated for ten rounds. Tacking an injured kroon is much easier than usual. Creatures with the scent ability gain a +8 to survival checks to track a wounded kroon, and creatures without get +2.

Racial aversion: Creatures that share an environment with kroon naturally know to avoid them, and avoid attacking them. In a natural setting, creatures generally avoid kroon, and will attack a kroon only in the most dire of situations. Creatures ordered to attack a kroon or otherwise compelled by an outside force must make a will save (DC=10+HD+Charisma Modifier) to attack, failure means they chose a new target randomly. Failure by five or more means they don’t attack at all. Intelligent creatures attack other targets first, if available, and the save is reduced by five.

Kroon as characters
Kroon characters possess the following racial traits.

* +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
* Small size.
* A kroon’s base land speed is 20 feet, with a climb speed of 20 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Low-light vision
* Racial Skills: Kroon have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks, and can take 10 even if rushed or threatened.
* +2 natural armor bonus.
* Natural Weapons: 2 slams (1d4-1).
* Special Attacks (see above): Glow, Stinking Wound, Racial aversion.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Goblin, Orc, Draconic.
* Favored Class: Rogue (?)
* Level adjustment +1

Personality: Kroon tend to be even-tempered and calm with almost anyone, almost completely without apprehension or distrust. They value freedom and satisfaction more than momentary happiness. They only fight as a last resort, though they don’t go out of the way to avoid combat, either. Things seem to happen around kroon, rather than to kroon, and this can give them a detached emotional state. They share easily when asked, but they often don’t realize the plights of others until it’s brought to their attention.

Physical description: Kroon are only two and a half feet tall at the shoulder, though their arms extend higher above them, an they usually only weigh about 35-45 pounds. Their fur ranges from bright green to teal, with females being slightly darker-furred and larger than males. Their eyes are always black. Their palms are hairless and show the most range in color, as they can be almost any color. Red, white, brown, blue, green, or black, the color changes wildly from generation to generation. The only thing they wear is a single dagger, each kroon carries at least one to harvest the fungus with.

Relations: Kroon get along well with dwarvs and svirfnebli, who they run into most often in their natural environment, who return a measure of respect, though the order-minded dwarves tend to see their atypical lifestyle as weird. Kroon rarely see other races in the tunnels, and more often than not the other races are too startled by their appearance to really interact in any meaningful way. When outside the tunnels, though, many find them curious. Humans and elves enjoy their songs, listening in awe to the whale-like song. Half-elves and half-orcs get along with them famously, since they all tend to live relatively solitary lifestyles, though they often lose interest in the apparent monotony of the kroon’s lives.

Alignment: Usually neutral good. Adventuring kroon tend to have a more chaotic bent, though some have a lawful one and seek order in large groups of people. They can be a bit unfeeling at times, and may seem uncaring, but they tend to do good things, once they notice a problem.

Kroon lands: All the unclaimed tunnels of the realm are kroon territory. They wander with basic impunity, eating funguses here and there. The drow sometimes hunt them for sport (from a distance), so their territory is basically the only part of the tunnels the kroon don’t go. They have no borders, no distinctions, and almost all interaction between kroon is either done in chance meetings or during childhood.

Religion: Unlike most races, kroon tend to be atheistic or agnostic. They don’t have their own pantheon, their own gods, or anything like that. A few kroon who felt the calling of cleric follow dwarven or gnomish gods, though a few claim to hear the calling of a new, a kroon god, a nameless diety who watches over all kroon, no matter how far apart they wander.

Language: Kroon have their own language composed of the subtle intonations in their haunting music. It’s a simple language, that serves as a warning, or a calling for the rare occasions when a kroon stumbles upon a fungus bounty more than he can eat alone. Sometimes, though rarely, a mating call, as well. But despite basis of the message, much more can be conveyed. With each use. A kroon-speaker can gather a massive amount of data off of these calls, like why to stay away, what kind of fungus they found, or the gender and health of the one calling for a mate. They all learn common, though, to make their dealings with the others. All in all, it’s more common for kroon to use common to communicate than their own language.

-----------------------

I put these guys up before, but as a player race, but I decided I need to rewrite them as a monster entry. I added a few thing and gave a couple penalties, so I'm not sue if it's still balanced. Also, I don't know the CR for something like this.

reorith
2007-12-23, 04:03 PM
they have a la of +1 , what are the characteristics of kroons as characters?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-23, 04:25 PM
Kroon characters possess the following racial traits.

* +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
* Small size.
* A kroon’s base land speed is 20 feet, with a climb speed of 20 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Low-light vision
* Racial Skills: Kroon have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks, and can take 10 even if rushed or threatened.
* +2 natural armor bonus.
* Natural Weapons: 2 slams (1d4-1).
* Special Attacks (see above): Glow, Stinking Wound, Racial aversion.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Goblin, Orc, Draconic.
* Favored Class: Rogue (?)
* Level adjustment +1

Hows that sound?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-23, 07:35 PM
Consolidated for your convenience.

Thoughts? Comments?

Anyone?

Moribundus
2007-12-23, 11:21 PM
Fluff. . . ?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-23, 11:35 PM
A curious green glow fills the cavern before you, as around the bend comes the oddest sort of creature imaginable. It pads softly across the ceiling on four legs, it's oddly-jointed arms picking things out of it's fur. The strangest part is the creature is glowing quite brightly, like a lantern. It's swivels it's small, furred face towards you on it's serpentine neck, blinks it's black beady eyes, then says, quite clearly, 'hello' in accented common.

Fluffy enough?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-28, 05:54 PM
Extra fluff added! Now, can someone give me an opinion here? I'm dyin! I've resorted to threadamancy!

RandomFellow
2007-12-28, 06:20 PM
Extra fluff added! Now, can someone give me an opinion here? I'm dyin! I've resorted to threadamancy!

Eh, I know how you feel =0

I suggest changing the Saves for Stinking Wound & Racial Aversion to:
SW Save DC = 13 + Hit Dice + Charisma Modifier (A DC 15 Save at level 1 is 50 to 75% chance of failure, while at level 20 is 95% success. Racial abilities for PCs should scale.)
RA Save DC = 10 + Hit Dice + Charisma Modifier (Same as above, but early on it is more in the region of 30 to 50% chance of failure)

So at first level DC is 14 to 17 and 11 to 15 respectively. Not quite as high, but still decent. Change the base version to have 12 Charisma and BAM! Same save DCs for the basic creature, but players get something that scales with level.

Admiral Squish
2007-12-28, 06:36 PM
Eh, I know how you feel =0

I suggest changing the Saves for Stinking Wound & Racial Aversion to:
SW Save DC = 13 + Hit Dice + Charisma Modifier (A DC 15 Save at level 1 is 50 to 75% chance of failure, while at level 20 is 95% success. Racial abilities for PCs should scale.)
RA Save DC = 10 + Hit Dice + Charisma Modifier (Same as above, but early on it is more in the region of 30 to 50% chance of failure)

So at first level DC is 14 to 17 and 11 to 15 respectively. Not quite as high, but still decent. Change the base version to have 12 Charisma and BAM! Same save DCs for the basic creature, but players get something that scales with level.

Right-o, fixed that. any other suggestions?

RandomFellow
2007-12-28, 07:23 PM
Not really although I did miss a couple things:

Stinking wound: if a kroon takes slashing or piercing damage, their fur is cut and the bioluminescent substance is released, a foul-smelling substance, producing a ten-foot radius stinking cloud (DC=13+HD+Charisma Modifier) or be sickened for 10 rounds) The scent remains around them as a centered radius effect until the damage is healed, magically or otherwise.

What is the stinking cloud save type? (fort, reflex, will?)

Tacking an injured kroon is much easier than usual. Creatures with the scent ability gain a +8 to survival checks to track a kroon, and creatures without get +2. If hit by a bite attack, the creature biting must make a DC20 fortitude save or become nauseated for ten rounds

I'd suggest re-wording the first part to, If the kroon is hit by a bite attack, for clarity's sake.

I'd also suggest making the same change for the DC20 fort save as I completely missed it's existence apparently.

(e.g. DC=18+HD+Cha Modifier)

Admiral Squish
2007-12-28, 07:38 PM
Noted and fixed.