PDA

View Full Version : Quaggoth Racial Traits

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 05:32 PM
while reading the Drow of the Underdark book I came upon the race called the Quaggoth or Deep-bears, and they looked cool, but nowhere can you find their racial traits, except for them being LA+2 and having Barbarian as a favored class. I looked all over the internet but I could not find the Quaggoth Racial Traits so I decided to think up some for myself, and see how good they are. Now personally I would like to keep Quaggoth at an LA0 because I like the option to start out at lvl 1 and to not drag behind in levels, so with that in mind.

-2 int, -2 wis +4 str +2 con Quaggoth aren't very intelligent or very wise, however they are powerful and hardy
-Large size, Quaggoth gain -1 to attack rolls -1 AC class -4 to Hide checks +4 to grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
-Quaggoth gain Darkvision up to 60 feet
-base running speed is 30 feet.
-Quaggoth gain an automatic 5 foot reach
-Natural weapons, a Quaggoth's claws and fangs can be very dangerous, as such their claws each gain 1d6 lethal damage, and their powerful jaws gain 2d6 lethal damage.
-Because of Quaggoths thick fur and hides they gain a +3 natural AC bonus
-Quaggoth gain the automatic languages of Common and Undercommon, bonus languages are Giant, Orc, and Goblin.
-The Quaggoth favored class is Barbarian

so what kind of LA do you think they should have, should I just leave them at +2?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-23, 05:37 PM
It's more or less impossible to lower it, m'friend. They're large (Already worth a +2), get positive stat boosts (+6 outweighs -4), get natural attacks, and all of that is inherent to 'em. Maybe you could make a Quaggoth small enough to be Medium, and consecuently having only a +2 to STR, but you still have to deal with the natural attacks.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 05:39 PM
Well yea, I was unsure about the size since while they're called deep bears and described as being large, the only description of them put them around 7 feet tall (call me crazy but that doesn't constitute "large" just taller than most medium sized people) and I could just lower the str, but the whole claws teeth thing is well, I'm not just gunna ignore the fact that it has huge claws and fangs, though I could lower the fang damage at least.

Also is negative to attack rolls GOOD or something? Because IMO having double carrying capacity isnt enough to outweigh the negatives given for large size in favor of an LA adjustment.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-23, 05:45 PM
See how quaggoths get +4 to STR? They should get +2, but they get an extra +2 from Large size, which makes up for the penalty on attack rolls.

Hmm...perhaps you could lower their LA by making them medium with powerful build? You then adjust natural attack damage accordingly.

Grrw
2007-12-23, 05:47 PM
monster of Faerun has a write up on them...you can also look at the savage species web enhancement on the WOTC site, where they discuss what makes for ECL, as does the actual book savage species...

armor bonus of +1 is ecl +1
large size (and reach) is ECL +1
unbalanced ability scores is ECL +1

To be totally honest, ive found that just using half-orc stats, with maybe a skill bonus or whatnot solves alot of ECL problems.

Though I use +2 str -2 dex instead of +2 str -2 int and cha for racial adjustments.

At the far end, id allow improved unarmed strike and move the damage up to 1d4 as a free feat, and let you combine a claw attack and a weapon w/o TWF, but its per the multiattack rules, where you get your weapon at +0, the offhand claw is -5.

anything more is gonna be overpowered.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 05:48 PM
-2 int, -2 wis +2 str +2 con Quaggoth aren't very intelligent or very wise, however they are powerful and hardy
-medium size, Quaggoth gain no benefits or negatives due to size
-Quaggoth gain Darkvision up to 60 feet
-base running speed is 30 feet.
-Natural weapons, a Quaggoth's claws and fangs can be very dangerous, as such their claws each gain 1d4 lethal damage, and their powerful jaws gain 2d4 lethal damage.
-Because of Quaggoths thick fur and hides they gain a +1 natural AC bonus
-Quaggoth gain the automatic languages of Common and Undercommon, bonus languages are Giant, Orc, and Goblin.
-The Quaggoth favored class is Barbarian

so maybe like this? (or should I adjust the natural weapons more?)

changed so it has no bonus natural reach

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-23, 05:54 PM
Nat armor is the main problem now. A +3 is BIG early on, and makes you godlike. Maybe cut it to +2 or +1? It'd be a fairly manageable +1 or +0 then.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 05:56 PM
cutting it down to a natural +1 is reasonable, I'd like +2 but I'd like LA0 more, and the reason it was +3 was so that it would come out to a +2 (because his size cut down 1 AC)

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 06:33 PM
monster of Faerun has a write up on them...you can also look at the savage species web enhancement on the WOTC site, where they discuss what makes for ECL, as does the actual book savage species...

armor bonus of +1 is ecl +1
large size (and reach) is ECL +1
unbalanced ability scores is ECL +1

To be totally honest, ive found that just using half-orc stats, with maybe a skill bonus or whatnot solves alot of ECL problems.

Though I use +2 str -2 dex instead of +2 str -2 int and cha for racial adjustments.

At the far end, id allow improved unarmed strike and move the damage up to 1d4 as a free feat, and let you combine a claw attack and a weapon w/o TWF, but its per the multiattack rules, where you get your weapon at +0, the offhand claw is -5.

anything more is gonna be overpowered.

HOLY CRAP! I did not know that you posted >< sorry man. cursed lag!

tyckspoon
2007-12-23, 06:49 PM
I posted this to your 'Race Questions' thread, but it's more immediately relevant here. Do you have a monster entry for a Quaggoth anywhere? The racial traits can be derived from that.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 07:01 PM
You mean like a "monsters of Faerun" or "monster manual" thing? No, I couldn't find any and I don't own those books, which was the cause of my dilemma in the first place.

P.S. here's a character I whipped up using my racial traits, how does it look? Gorgoth (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=35927)

Grrw
2007-12-23, 09:24 PM
Monsters of Faerun was one of the books WOTC had on amazon that was "searchable", so i think you can go on the amazon site, do a product search, and then once you find mosnters of faerun, you should be able to search inside using quaggoth and you should be able to view the page.

Its pretty snazzy advertising actually, its like being able to thumb through the book at a real store.

Looking at my copy, it says they are medium sized...no powerful build or anything like that.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-23, 09:32 PM
Well I've never bought anything on Amazon so I can't see it :smallsigh: But I like my racial traits and they make sense, so unless a DM has an express problem with them I'll just roll with them.