PDA

View Full Version : help, boring character!

thorgrim29
2007-12-23, 08:04 PM
Well..... thats pretty mmuch it, I'm currently playing a level 7 human fighter with crazy stats (something like 18, 15, 16, 12, 14, 10), shock trooper, leap attack, adaptable flanker and short haft (fights with a glaive). Thing is, I'm bored with him, so I want to multiclass/ get into a prc, but I cant seem to find anything. The obvious would be to go TOB, but the whole group is a gish, a dragon shaman, a rogue and 2 fighters so I dont want to dominate too much..... Besides noone likes the TOB that much at table exept me. What could I do to get more interresting actions then I attack and I power attack?

Kurald Galain
2007-12-23, 08:14 PM
Get a decent bow, and ask your DM if you can use the PHB2 retraining rules to switch one of your feats out for e.g. Rapid Shot.

Take a level in cleric, of some martial deity.

Or do both, by taking a level in Warlock. Two levels nets you two invocations, have fun.

graymachine
2007-12-23, 08:16 PM
Well, if your asking for a PrC then we need to know more about the build, i.e. what is you alignment (many classes have alignment restrictions), how are your stats spread out (need to know if you have the possibility of using magic), what skills you have (most PrCs have skill requirements), etc. That said, not knowing your build, you could have fun with a Fist of Raziel out of the Complete Divine. I can't recall the prereqs off the top of my head but it has some fun things in it.

Saph
2007-12-23, 08:18 PM
Actions in combat tend not to be all that interesting by themselves. They can be more complicated or less complicated, but more complicated doesn't mean more interesting. It's really your character's personality that makes the difference.

If you're just looking for a mechanical solution that avoids ToB, the best I can think of is to multiclass into something like rogue or cleric (wiz or sorc wouldn't work so well due to your average int and cha). That'll give you more options, but won't necessarily make things more fun.

Looking at your feats, you may also be running into the drawbacks of an ubercharge build . . . every combat comes down to "Can I charge and kill the monster?" I'm not sure how to fix this.

- Saph

thorgrim29
2007-12-23, 08:24 PM
Well, I gave the stats: 18 15 16 12 14 10, and the feats (combat expertise, vexing flanker, adaptable flanker, power attack, leap attack, wpn focus (glaive), short haft, improved bull rush, shock trooper). I maxed out climb, jump, intimidate, and craft armor. That means spellcasting is pretty much a no-no. I could ask him to rebuid it as a duskblade.... Still roughly the same character, only less hp and feats, and more spells, I'd have to switch a couple of stats though....

graymachine
2007-12-23, 08:41 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize that you posted the stats in order. Well, divine spellcasting isn't necessarily out; with a WIS of 14 you aren't going to be a spell-slinging machine, but you can cast up to level 4 spells (assuming you don't improve your WIS), which is more than enough for a combat-focused cleric. You'll net pretty much all of the important buffing spells to enhance your melee, which should give you the options you are looking for. I would definitely suggest taking your levels in cleric from here on out until you get 4th level spells or until you qualify for a PrC you want. Partially it's for the options your looking for but it is mostly because clerics make better fighters than fighters do. Looking at the Warpriest class, you might want to go for it. The only requirement that you aren't going to get soon (or already have) is the 8 ranks Diplomacy and the 5 ranks in Sense Motive. If the DM will allow you to use the retraining rules in UA to retrain your skills you could qualify for Warpriest in only a few levels. The class gets Fighter base attack and saves, and the Mass Heal for free is rather nice. The class abilities are simply icing on the cake.

Also, Fist of Raziel is in the BoED, not Complete Divine. You might want to take a look at it if you're interested in smiting everything in sight, although the prereqs still require you to retrain skills in order to quality at an early enough level for it to be useful.