PDA

View Full Version : Why Beguiler?

graymachine
2007-12-23, 09:50 PM
I've seen a good number of builds out there that have magic users taking their first level in Beguiler and I honestly can't tell why. I've taken a glance at the class once or twice and it didn't seem to have anything that would help out on a magic user build. At first I assumed it was the armor use Beguilers get, but it specifically states that that ability doesn't work with magic from other classes. Is it something else or am I simply being dumb and not seeing the obvious?

Also, I'm apparently now a halfling in the playground!

Lochar
2007-12-23, 09:51 PM
Partially because it's Int based, partially because it has access to a decent spell list, and partially because it has good skills.

graymachine
2007-12-23, 09:58 PM
Partially because it's Int based, partially because it has access to a decent spell list, and partially because it has good skills.

I can understand that, but most of the builds I see only take 1 level, which is they're first level. Since the rest of the build is into Wizard and Wizard PrCs it seems to me that there has to be something that enhances later levels like Marshal does for warrior classes.

Lochar
2007-12-23, 09:59 PM
Then they're probably either looking to get a decent selection of level 1 spells that they don't have to have wizard casting for, or they're after the skill set for PrC qualification. Which build confused you?

Merlin the Tuna
2007-12-23, 10:00 PM
You may be looking at Ultimate Magus builds; the PrC requires (and advances) both prepared and spontaneous casting, and a single spontaneous casting level combined with the feat Practiced Spellcaster can work the system to make it a really potent class.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-23, 10:01 PM
Probably the build was for Ultimate Magus (CM).

Kaelik
2007-12-23, 10:02 PM
Is one of those PrCs Ultimate Magus? That's a special combo PrC that advances Prepared and Spontaneous casting at once.

Beguiler is better for that because with a Beguiler/Wizard you can focus soley on Int, and not need to divert into Charisma.

Lochar
2007-12-23, 10:03 PM
Ah, that's what I get for not having an photographic memory. I don't remember all the PrCs. :smalltongue:

graymachine
2007-12-23, 10:34 PM
It probably was for Ultimate Magus; I can't recall any particular build exactly, I just remember it being common.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-12-23, 10:37 PM
dont forget about the handcross bow proficientcy, The most fun ever!!!:smallbiggrin:

Balkash
2007-12-23, 10:46 PM
plus with that spells while wearing armour, you can still wear light armour and cast some good level 1 spells while I dunno, you could be a rogue or barbarian. If you're gonna be a light armour fighter, why not get a little bit of magic to back you up.

Charity
2007-12-24, 08:43 AM
Why why why Beguiler.
*hipsway*

Ikkitosen
2007-12-24, 09:25 AM
My my my, Beguiler!

*Casts Alain's Momentary Madness on Charity*

Keep singing my friend!