PDA

View Full Version : Thrane with Giant Robots Part Deux: What does "Deux" Mean?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-23, 11:24 PM
The rolling planes of northeastern Thrane roll in the background as our heroes...

... well...

The rolling planes of northeastern Thrane roll in the background as our protagonists continue onwards to their destination, the military base camp from where they will hopefully be able to defend all of Thrane from military assaults from their formerly friendly neighbor kingdom Karrnath.

We now return to our game in progress, where Gorby has pretty much just threatened to help beat up a chick who's sort of dating the impulsive swordsage who's travelling behind him in a giant robot with a -lot- of very sharp throwing knives.

*The DM puts on a raincoat made of asbestos and sits back to watch the fun.*

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-24, 02:32 AM
Gorby

Gorby isn't concerned, as that's par for the course in his family. Continue onward!

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-24, 06:46 AM
Rennac surprisingly does very little shanking.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-24, 09:58 PM
In the absence of anything more from Shay or any of the others, Casfal continues on in silence, pondering how to reclaim the throne of Karrnath. Should I talk to the Pontiff about setting up a government-in-exile? The Karrnathi people might react in my favor knowing that Kaius is a usurper, but he is an undead, and a national hero besides. That probably gives him enough goodwill among the people to easily shrug off any negative PR we might give him.

If I could find out what happened to my father and raise him or free him, that might help, but it's still a long shot.

Not government in exile, then. At least not yet.

A coup d'etat, with Thrane's military backing? Probably has the best initial chance of success, but it's unlikely to win me any friends among the populace. I'd likely find myself poisoned or with a slit throat within a decade.

Hm. I could reveal myself and very publically hold treaty negotiations with Thrane, pretending to be on official business from Karrnath. Unless Kaius wants to reveal his true nature to the world, and if he hasn't yet, I doubt he does, he'd almost have to accept it.

Of course, he could always denounce me as an imposter. That wouldn't hold up under magical scrutiny, but it would make it clear that whatever else I said, the negotiations weren't official.

Hmmmmm... if I combined that with the government-in-exile plan, maybe...

Bah, this is all just speculation without current information to base it on. Perhaps the next step is simply to reveal the truth to General Skarn. He has secrets of his own, he can probably be trusted to keep mine. He could also probably get me current intelligence about the dispositions of the Karrnath military and general populace.

Yes, that sounds like my best option right now. I'll tell him once we get back from our current mission.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-24, 10:55 PM
A noise floats over the plains. A long, drawn-out, high-pitched wail.

It's getting louder...

After several seconds something flies through the sky like a tiny comet and connects with the ground several yards ahead over a small ridge with a noise like a turd hitting the ground. There is a small cloud of dust, and the screaming goes silent.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-24, 11:11 PM
Casfal winces at the sound of impact and moves up over the ridge to take a look.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-24, 11:41 PM
Gorby

"Ooo, I haven't heard a sound like that since we tested that experimental catapult. If there's no survivors, I call dibs on the salvage!"

Gorby peeks over the ridge.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-25, 05:28 AM
"What the f--"
Rennac runs alongside the others towards the impact site.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-26, 09:39 PM
The impact has raised a ten-foot blemish on the field, a charred crater in the earth. In its center is a smoking object that vaguely resembles a barrel. The wood is blackened and ashen, and the metal is making clicking sounds as it cools.

After a moment, a portion of the object is broken away from the inside to reveal a small reptilian foot. Seconds later a roughly three foot humanoid with draconian features hops out onto the still-warm soil, pulls its goggles up onto the top of its head, raises its claws and crows in victory.

"I am eeeeeenveeeeencible!" squeals Ren.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-26, 09:41 PM
Drawn-out pause.
"...Hey, Ren! Where the hell were you?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-26, 09:56 PM
Gorby

"Wow, another small goblinoid willing to test potentially fatal contraptions? I like him already. Where do you know him from?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-27, 12:53 AM
Kobolds aren't goblinoids, Gorby.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-27, 01:10 AM
"Nobody cares, Casfal."
Rennac leans out of the Sprachen and lowers a hand for Ren to climb onto.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-27, 05:26 AM
Gorby

"Oh? Then what should I call them, humanoids?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-27, 05:44 AM
Ah, I see. I'm not used to hearing it used that way. Nevermind.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-29, 12:39 AM
Ren leaps atop Rennac's head and strikes another pose.

"Never fear, Ren's Friends! For Ren has returned to you in your hour of need! Ren in his infinite wisdom detected the vast magical field caused by the summoning of horrible creatures, and surely, it was Ren who obtained from the general a magical device with which to disrupt this procedure!"

He holds aloft a small wand.

"But lo, they feared that none could get this device to you in time to be of any use! Therefore Ren, who is brave and masculine and sexy proposed an experimental device to propel him through the air at urine-releasing speeds so that Ren could bring you the instrument of your salvation at your most critical moment! And now never fear, for Ren has arrived! Ande now Ren shall... shall..."

He pauses and looks around.

"Where is the horrific creature of evil that is being summoned forth from whose clutches Ren has come to rescue his friends?"

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-29, 01:00 AM
Rennac grins.
"We, um, kind of owned it. You can help us with the next inevitable evil, though."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-29, 08:47 AM
Gorby

"Yeah, it's busy rotting to its base planar essence. This'll still come in handy, though."

Gorby takes the wand.

"What're the specs on it, Ren? And what feedback do ya got on the experimental launcher?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-29, 09:46 PM
((Are we still moving, or have we stopped?))

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-29, 11:24 PM
(Unless you grabbed Ren's wand thingy on the fly and left him sitting there in his crater, I imagine you've paused.)

Ren deflates. "Ren... does not really know. Ren... kind of assumed... it would just like... light up the darkest hour... or something. ...and Ren was really too busy trying to stop bad humans from stuffing him into barrel to see how the giant gun thingy they stuck it into worked... stupid bad humans... 'oh, never mind Ren's safety! Ren is expendable!' Automatic rez system Ren's scaley ass..."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-30, 12:16 AM
Gorby

"Automatic rez system?! Where did they put it?!"

Gorby begins picking apart the barrel for anything interesting, like an automatic rez system.

Magnus_Samma
2007-12-30, 10:03 PM
That's funny... there's nothing in the barrel that looks like an automatic rez system...

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-30, 10:29 PM
Rennac, meanwhile, has scooped up the kobold, deposited him on the shoulder of the Sprachen, and begun on his merry way.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-30, 11:19 PM
Gorby

Gorby just grumbles at the lack of interesting components in the barrel as he hurries after Ren and Rennac.

"So where do you know the test jockey from?"

Lord Iames Osari
2007-12-31, 04:51 PM
I'd like to know that as well, Casfal says as they get back underway.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-01-02, 11:53 AM
Shay slams the emergency button, activating the ejection seat so that she flies out of the cockpit, sailing past Rennac's gear and seizing the kobold, tackling him approximately twenty feet to the ground. This doesn't hurt her in the slightest, oddly enough.

"Reeeennnnn!"

"You're back! I thought you were a forgotten plot element and I was never going to see you again!" She kisses his scaly head as she clutches him to her bosom.

Eventually she composes herself, returns to her gear, and skips merrily along, causing the ground to shake.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-02, 04:27 PM
Gorby

Gorby whistles and turns on the private channel to Rennac.

"Damn, wish I could get her to greet me that way."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-03, 09:32 PM
A tree trunk bounces off the back of Gorby's mech's head.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-03, 10:14 PM
Ren settles back into Shay's bosom with a happy sigh.

"Ren is pleased to once again be among his very good friends. Ahhh... a little to the left..."

The journey is, otherwise, more or less uneventful until they reach the nearest village... unless someone wants to bring something up...

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-04, 12:03 AM
Gorby

Gorby's got no trouble to cause.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-04, 01:59 AM
Rennac is ready to be run over by the Plot Wagon!

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-04, 02:08 AM
Likewise with Casfal.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-19, 10:44 PM
(Aaaaaaand the plot wagon is terribly, horribly, unforgivably late.

Sorry about that guys. I ran into some crap there and... I was kind of hoping it would go away and... uh, it hasn't. >_> So for various reasons I haven't been much good for loud and creative swearing for the last few week(s). But I'm here now, and hopefully some of you are still watching the thread, so away we go!)

After a few hours of travelling the group comes to a river which, according to the map that I think at least one of them has, should take them to their destination with about a few more days' travel. Along the way they should expect to run into a handful of small towns. The first of these can be seen over the horizon- it seems largely untouched by the war, thus far. The fields surrounding the town are green and unplundered, and there are two girls sitting in the nearby meadow, the younger chasing butterflies while her elder companion reads a book.

The child notices the approaching gears and prods the reader in the shoulder.

"Sissy? There's more big warforged coming."

"That's nice Caitlyn."

"They're even bigger than the other ones, Sissy."

"That's nice Caitlyn."

"They have weally big swords."

"That's nice Caitlyn."

How the young woman can continue reading obliviously while the gears thump up to her is anyone's guess.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-20, 12:02 AM
Stop for here a moment, Casfal tells the others, stopping himself as he reaches the meadow where the girls are. He partially unbuckles himself, pops the cockpit open, and leans out to call, Excuse me, young ladies, but we're going to be passing through here, and we'd rather not go trampling through a farmer's field or anything like that. Are there any areas we should make sure to avoid?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-20, 12:29 AM
Gorby

"If you can't tell the difference between the road and a field, you're more farsighted than I thought."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-20, 06:41 AM
((*channels :vaarsuvius:*))

Gorby, I doubt the people who established this town were so foresightedly considerate of future generations that they built their streets sufficently wide to accomodate the enormous man-shaped machines of war we are currently traveling in. Bearing that in mind, I have stopped briefly to ascertain from these two charming young girls what obstacles, specifically in the form of private property being used for agriculture, might impede our progress along an alternate route less likely to perturb the community.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-20, 09:45 AM
Gorby

"Well, if you're that worried about knocking things over, why don't you just walk down the d*mned river?"

Gorby silently tries to remember whether the gears are that waterproof.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-01-20, 01:22 PM
Shay pops out of her Terran's cockpit and approaches the girls, smiling.

"Oh you two are so cute! And umm, more importantly, can you please tell us about the other giant robots you saw?" She rolls her eyes and casts a glance at Gorby and Casfal's gears. "Cause ya know, something like that could kind of be important."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-20, 03:16 PM
Rennac, as usual, hangs out of his cockpit rather than disembark, letting the rest do the talking. His hair's grown to rocker-length again, and progressively brightens as it comes to the tip. It looks like either a very bad dyejob or a very good highlighting.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-20, 05:23 PM
Gorby

"We were gonna ask eventually."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-20, 05:39 PM
Because I don't know if the suits are sufficiently waterproof, Gorby.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-22, 01:26 AM
The older girl looks up at the gears and just sort of stares with her mouth open.

"You can walk through mistah Rogers' field," says Caitlyn, indicating with one finger a wheatfield that has seen better days. "The other warforged stomped on it already. Mistah Noise is in the village with his kitty. He was running from the other big warforged and they tried to shoot him, and he shooted the other ones in the face, and they ran away. I liked that part," she adds, earnestly.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-22, 01:45 AM
Gorby

"Well, there's our answer! We can simply follow the trail of destruction the other warforged left!"

Gorby starts heading off to follow it to its end.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-22, 06:15 AM
What did these other big warforged look like? Casfal asks.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-22, 07:53 PM
"They were really tall," says Caitlyn, "They were taller than Mistah Noise, but not as tall as you are. They were red and white and blue, and they had weally big crossbows. They said 'fwag' a lot."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-22, 08:20 PM
Gorby

"Okayyyy... that just sounds nutty. Shall we?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-22, 09:26 PM
Casfal nods. Thank you for your help, he tells the girls, clambering back into his cockpit and buckling himself back in.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-25, 12:51 AM
The countryside is a little worse for the wear, but the town itself seems to have been largely spared from damage. As you approach, you see a welcoming comittee of local militia lining up to meet you. A well-dressed man who seems to be some kind of leader is talking to an unusually tall figure whose features are hidden by a hooded cloak. After a moment, the tall figure dissapears behind a bulding and the well-dressed man steps forward to talk. The militia lines up in parade formation behind him- they don't seem to be getting ready for an ambush, rather showing off a little.

"Welcome," says the man as he approaches, "I am Samuel, the mayor. You are the strike force from Flamekeep, yes? We were told to expect you. We have a homing pigeon to send word back to the general, if you wish, and a good hot meal and soft beds for those of you that require them. ...forgive the lads for the display, they just got it down a few days ago and they're a little anxious to make a good impression."

One of the militiamen accidentally cracks his fellow soldier over the head with his pike. The stunned man falls flat, tripping the man behind him and sending the rest of the column to the ground in a tangle of limbs. Samuel lets out a long-suffering sigh.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-25, 01:09 AM
Gorby

*makes note of exactly which building the hooded figure disappeared behind*

*via private communications*

"Lovely mysterious figure. Betcha 10 gold they try to lynch us in our sleep."

*via public communications*

"Oh, they made an impression, alright. Maybe they wouldn't fall down so fast if they were taught actual battle formations instead of making very nice lines. Why don't you detail the services you have to offer? Any juicy rumors, mmmm?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-25, 02:09 AM
Casfal kneels his Kothar down and exits the cockpit in front of the mayor. Yes, we are the strike force. I'm Captain Casfal Markise. Please forgive the Private's attitude, Mayor Samuel. I'm sure he wasn't any better when he was just starting out, although he does have a point about real battle formations. An idea seems to occur to him. Mayor Samuel, I was trained as an infantryman. Maybe I could show your boys some proper drills later on, he suggests. In the meantime, use of your carrier pigeon would be most appreciated, as well as your offer of room and board.

(([roll0]))

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-25, 02:18 AM
Oh, and one more thing... Casfal leans close to the mayor and whispers, I don't know if you were informed in advance, but two of my men are demonspawn. They've seen the light of the Flame and are the path to redeeming their tainted blood. They've been vouched for by the Pontiff herself. I would rather avoid an incident born of ignorance and distrust, however justified, so if your people can understand, we should probably make an announcement right away.

Of course, if you don't think your people would understand, I can have my men hide their heritage as well as they can and hope for the best.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-25, 02:56 AM
Gorby

"Just starting out?!" Gorby's gear glares at Casfal. "Look here, Pretty Boy, I wasn't stupid enough to do those pointless exercises instead of actual training back then, and I ain't stupid enough to do them now! You and yer godsddamned drills!"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-25, 03:21 AM
The Private also has authority problems. Excuse me a moment, Casfal says to the mayor, and gets back into his suit. Closing the cockpit hatch, Casfal opens a private channel to the squad.

All right, listen. I'm trying to maintain this community's goodwill. Gorby, you and I both know that you were probably born a better solider as than these militiamen will ever be. But pointing it out won't make them like us, and in fact it might actually make them want to harm us, or at least you. Or did you forget that you're a demonspawn in a country full of deeply religious people who'd very likely kill you as soon look at you just because of who your father was?

Now, I'm trying to maintain a good impression, and I'm trying to establish your bona fides as someone who shouldn't be killed on sight, and quite frankly, you aren't helping.

Now then - and this applies to all of you, not just Gorby - you know that I've allowed quite a bit of laxness in terms of military discipline and formality in this unit. We seem to function well that way, and so I'm going to allow it to continue.

However, the people of this town don't know how oddball this group is, don't know that we function better informally. All they'll see is a group of soldiers whose commander can't command them. So while we're here, or in any other small towns we run across, I want you to act as close to a more normal military unit as you can. In private, we will continue as we have been doing, but in public, I expect you to behave in a manner that will not reflect poorly on me as a commander, or on the Thranish Army.

Is that understood?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-25, 03:51 AM
Gorby

*private channel*

"Look, Pretty Boy, no amount of touchy-feely goodwill you try to establish with these muttonheads will convince them I'm not destined to burn at the stake. And I wasn't born this way, I was trained it by a better teacher than any of these naive fools could hope to lay eyes on. And I'm not gonna shut up about their mistakes just to be courteous!

Gorby gestures to the toppled row of soldiers.

*private channel*

"See what happens when you mindlessly follow orders? If one of them had just been a step back, the entire line wouldn't be picking themselves off the ground right now.

"But I'll humor you. I'll leave it on private channels and leave my snarky comments to the party so you can get touchy-feely with the natives."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-01-25, 03:53 AM
"What makes you think that any of us want to hear what you have to say either Gorby?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-25, 05:08 AM
Gorby

"Hmmph. What good's a snide comment if no one hears it?"

He goes silent.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-25, 10:20 PM
Finally, Rennac snaps. Mercifully, it's on private comm.
"Both of you just shut the hell up, would you?
And WHAT was that about "establishing bona fides?!" What the hell are you saying to him? Look, you stupid monkey, I don't go around blurting out your godsdamned identity to people, you could at least give me the same respect. If you went and decided to tell a Thrannish goddamned mayor something then I don't give a damn how many stars and bars you're hiding behind, I am going to kick your ass."

"Shooting off your mouth like that is going to get Gorby and I killed."

"I don't have a problem with authority, I have a problem with you. Think before you speak, damn it, and then I'll start respecting the damn rank."

Finally, after a few seconds, he gives a long sigh, keys to public, and speaks again, more reservedly.
"Come on, Shay, let's find a place to put the gears. Where would be out of the way?" He asks the mayor, lowering his gear.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-25, 10:39 PM
Gorby

Gorby blinks.

*private comms*

"Wait a- did you tell the Mayor we were demonspawn?!"

Gorby's gear is poised to backhand Casfal's gear into next week.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-25, 11:36 PM
((Having retconned my last post out of continuity))
I told him that two of my soldiers were demonspawn. I didn't mention any names, or tell him which suits you were in, or anything else that would identify you individually. He may already know anyway; we don't know what was in the message that told him we were coming. Depending on his response, you may actually be able to go about your business without actively disguising your nature.

But even if the mayor wasn't told about the makeup of this unit, this is his town, and he needs to know things that have the potential to cause such large problems. Even without my mask, I can make up a story about part of my family coming from Karrnath before the Last War and maybe being descended from an illegitimate child of Karrnath's first king. I doubt that the two of you would have it so easy.

As he notices Gorby get ready to attack, Casfal tenses and prepares himself to react in a split second.
[roll0]
Readied ActionTrigger: Melee attack from Gorby
Action: Spend 2 pp as a full-round action to activate and attack with both funnels.
[roll1] (+1 Point Blank Shot); [roll2] (+1 Point Blank Shot)
[roll3] (+1 Point Blank Shot); [roll4] (+1 Point Blank Shot)
Next Round (Immediately after Readied Action)Declare Dodge v. Gorby
AC 29 v. Gorby, 28 v. others
HP 62
PP 3
Move 150ft. away from Gorby and the others, leaving the funnels behind and spending 1 pp to have them attack Gorby again.
[roll5] (+1 Point Blank Shot); [roll6] (+1 Point Blank Shot)
[roll7] (+1 Point Blank Shot); [roll8] (+1 Point Blank Shot)

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-25, 11:42 PM
((Action Point for Funnel 1 of the Next Round: [roll0]))

((The expenditure of this Action Point is contingent upon whether or not the funnels are used to attack Gorby; if Gorby does not trigger Casfal's readied action, this Action Point will not be spent))

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-25, 11:43 PM
((Oh yes, and all of Casfal's above dialogue was over the private channel))

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-26, 12:06 AM
Rennac returns fire. Privately.
"So, what, you have plausible deniability and we don't. So what? You want to hold that over my head or something? A veiled threat to keep me in line? You have absolutely no right to risk my life out of some misguided sense of propriety. I don't have to apologize for not being from the surface, and I shouldn't have to compromise myself for it. And that's exactly what you're doing. I have the same entitlement that they do. You will hold my life and safety equal with theirs in your estimation or I will not follow your orders. It's that simple."
"And as for figuring out who's demonspawn, well, let's see. Who among us has bright red hair and a proclivity towards pissing people off with their presence? Suspicion becomes paranoia, paranoia leads to torches, pitchforks, and a lynch-mob. I've successfully kept my identity secret, with very, very special exceptions, for ten years. It hasn't been an issue until you just made it one. If the general wanted to inform those ahead of us of our identities, he would assume you have the common sense not to go telling everyone and hope your proud military bearing will keep them obedient."

"And worst, at least for me, you've violated my trust, which I honestly was skeptical about giving in the first place having known you so little. Now I have no idea what I can and can't expect you to do, and that's going to make fighting under you that much harder. I don't know if you'll be supporting me or leaving me to die in a fight. Call me arrogant, but you did more than risk my life when you chose to do that. I'd like you to consider that before you start wondering what my problem is."
Rennac finishes deliberately, and then cuts off his comm line, moving his gear to behind a home or wherever directed, and disembarks.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-26, 12:57 AM
Gorby

Gorby winds up to smack Casfal, then stops. He speaks over the private channels, his voice an octave lower and more sinister.

"So you were trying to protect us, eh? Look here, Pretty Boy, I did a damn fine job disguising my true self for years, and what they don't know can't hurt them, but since you went through all that trouble to protect us, why don't we see how well it worked?"

A long, drawn-out cackle echoes from Gorby's microphone as he resumes an at ease position next to Casfal.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-26, 01:13 AM
Casfal relaxes once Gorby is finished with his sinster cackle and switches to a public channel. I apologize for the Private's conduct, Mayor Samuel. His Kothar kneels again, and Casfal gets out for a second time. I don't believe it will become a problem again while we're here.

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-27, 02:09 AM
The Mayor has gone white as a sheet. The village militia is too busy picking themselves up, yelling at each other, and going back home to really notice the goings on, perhaps fortunately. Samuel gets his facial tic under control and forces himself to smile a little too wide.

"Ah, there is no problem, I am sure. I was told that your group was eccentric. I... ah, was not given the full story, it seems. But no matter! If the general trusts you, then... I... uh... certainly do so as well. My home is your home! Just... let me... remove some of the holy symbols so they do not burn your flesh. Please! Simply remember the boys are somewhat on edge, you know, with the whole war going on and all, and... ah, make yourselves at home, and try not to cause any trouble, and I promise none will come to you. Probably."

He sidles up to Casfal and murmurs, "The elf is one of the demonspawn, right? The letter mentioned her. Can you please tell her not to kill any of our pork pie merchants? With our fields damaged by the fighting they are the cornerstone of our economy."

The town turns out to be fairly average, as towns go. There's a small church that doubles as the town hall, a few pagan temples, a commercial district, a market, and a lot of cheap housing. The townspeople who are not trying to breathe some life into the damaged grain fields are doing a relatively poor but nonetheless admirable job of training as militia, or training to be camp followers, many of the latter being dragged home by their hair by their mothers, telling them that they can still be spanked even if they aren't children anymore.

Speaking of children, the town's don't seem to be watching the militiamen like one might expect, but are largely gathered at the edge of the town furthest from the central square. Sounds like someone's playing music.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-27, 07:05 PM
Gorby

Gorby leaps out of his cockpit and lands next to Casfal, his bandana wrapped around his hair & horns and his tail tucked into his pants. The only sign he might be a demon is his red eyes, and those could be standard for goblins for all most people know. (I shall call this his "normal disguise".) He bursts out laughing at the mayor's comments.

"Oh, don't worry about it! They won't do a damn thing to us; I could use holy water as cologne if I wanted to. Ain't that right, brother?"

Gorby grins at Casfal as he nudges him with his elbow.

"And no, the elf is not one of us. She's the most normal member of our party."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-27, 07:50 PM
Casfal suppresses a sigh. Private Gorby is right; holy symbols and holy water, by themselves, are not harmful to them, certainly not now that the Pontiff has given them her blessing. And I will tell Private Shay not to harass your pork pie merchants. In the meantime, as Private Rennac asked, where would be the best place for us to park our gears?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-27, 08:44 PM
Gorby

Gorby rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

"Us, brother..."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-27, 09:06 PM
Casfal opens his mouth to say something, most likely a protest, then closes it again. He shrugs. You're going to continue to stubbornly make the claim no matter what I say or do, so I'm not going to waste my breath correcting you. It's not worth the effort.

((Shouldn't Gorby have to make a Bluff check to convince the Mayor/anyone else who's listening?))

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-28, 12:05 AM
Gorby

"It was your bloody idea, Mr. Let's Break It To Them Gently, so why not reap the benefits?"

((Probably. I might have trouble with it, too, if you didn't make it so easy, you Mysterious Masked Man with a Shady Past you.))

Bluff Check (1d20+1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1474794/)
((And an AP to boost that...))
AP Boost (1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1474795/)
((For a total of 8 on his Bluff check. *grumbles*))

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-28, 12:16 AM
((Heh))

He's just upset that I told you about him and his half-brother, and trying to undermine my credibility out of spite.

((Aiding the Mayor's Sense Motive check (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#aidAnother): [roll0]))

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-28, 12:19 AM
((:smallannoyed: Stupid virtual dice.

[roll0]))

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-28, 12:37 AM
"...hrm."
Rennac looks towards the children.
"Someone over there--hm."
If Shay's gone with him, he'll beckon for her to follow and go to investigate.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-01-28, 01:10 AM
After bouncing out of her cockpit, Shay follows along after Rennac. "Human kids are so sweet. Look guys, I brought sweet rolls! They aren't that hot anymore and I think I was sitting on them at one point, but that just makes them taste even better."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-28, 01:57 AM
Gorby

"Oh, really? Love how you keep trying out your great ideas on everyone but you. By the way, nice mask."

Gorby points at Shay with her thumb.

"See? Nothing unnatural about her except her bust size."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-28, 03:41 PM
Rennac slows down and takes Shay's arm. He leans over and whispers in her ear.
"I'm feeling something strange about someone over there. Don't worry too much, but keep your eyes open."

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-29, 12:57 AM
The Mayor steps forwards to make sure that he can talk to Casfal and Gorby without anyone overhearing them. A few townspeople are craning their necks to see the three, but no one has ventured close enough to overhear any of the details yet.

"Look," says Samuel, "I could care less what any of you are. I was assured by your commanding officer that you would behave yourselves and act peacably while you stayed in my village. That is why I allowed you to come here, that is why I had no intention of telling anyone about your secrets. But it is rapidly starting to look like you are not nearly as peacable as you were made out to be, and I cannot help being very annoyed by this. I can not control my townspeople. I can advise them, I can plead for them to see reason, but I cannot try and tell them that the guy with horns running around and setting things on fire should not be tarred and feathered and run out of town. Do not give anyone here a reason to be afraid of you, and they won't be. I can promise you that much. But if you go around talking in loud voices about how such and such member of your squad is a demon in disguise then there will be a godsdamned riot and I will let it happen, have I made myself clear?"

The children are gathered around what appears to be a warforged who is sitting on a doorstep and, somehow, playing music. It is clearly a war machine- heavy armor plates of dark blue and silver cover most of its body, and its face has been modified for extra protection with a mouth plate and a red crystal visor beneath a distinctive helmet crest. There is a tube-like object with a crystal core mounted on its right shoulder, and a wierd symbol that evokes a crown made of blades tampographed on its breastplate. There -is- music playing, a lively fiddle performance accompanied by a banjo, but the warforged does not seem to be playing an instrument- the only thing about it that is moving is the subtle glow behind its visor that seems to pulse in time with the music.

Rennac and Shay might also notice the large black panther lying beside the 'forged, having its ears petted by a small girl and showing every sign of enjoying it immensely. Many of the children are simply sitting and listening, enraptured by the song, but a number of the older ones are holding an imprompdu dance session.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-29, 01:18 AM
(Does he wild shape into a giant harpsichord?)
Hn. Not every day you find someone with such carefully guarded feelings, 'forged or not. Odd.
Rennac approaches at a leisurely pace, pensive.
"Wanna find a place to sit and watch for a while?" he finally asks Shay as he glances at the warforged and his jaguar.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-29, 01:48 AM
The Mayor steps forwards to make sure that he can talk to Casfal and Gorby without anyone overhearing them. A few townspeople are craning their necks to see the three, but no one has ventured close enough to overhear any of the details yet.

"Look," says Samuel, "I could care less what any of you are. I was assured by your commanding officer that you would behave yourselves and act peacably while you stayed in my village. That is why I allowed you to come here, that is why I had no intention of telling anyone about your secrets. But it is rapidly starting to look like you are not nearly as peacable as you were made out to be, and I cannot help being very annoyed by this. I can not control my townspeople. I can advise them, I can plead for them to see reason, but I cannot try and tell them that the guy with horns running around and setting things on fire should not be tarred and feathered and run out of town. Do not give anyone here a reason to be afraid of you, and they won't be. I can promise you that much. But if you go around talking in loud voices about how such and such member of your squad is a demon in disguise then there will be a godsdamned riot and I will let it happen, have I made myself clear?"

Abundantly clear, Mayor Samuel. Let us move on. My troops and I need to be shown to wherever we're going to billet tonight, and after that I have need of your carrier pigeon.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-29, 02:26 AM
Gorby

"Well duh, of course. Come on, Pretty Boy, let's see what's happening and go wash off that undead ichor. Didn't think they grew 'em that big, did ya?"

Gorby heads off towards the music once his gear is properly secured and locked.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-01-29, 02:42 AM
"Here, kitty kitty kitty." Shay sets down the baked goods and gives the cat a pet.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-30, 02:12 PM
"It is pretty cool looking...gah."
Rennac's hair falls into his eyes. Grumbling, he pulls it back and starts tying it into a ponytail.
"Damn hair," he mutters, "can't cut it here, it'd give me away. Fire-resistant snippets going every-which-way and all that."

Magnus_Samma
2008-01-31, 02:53 AM
Samuel shows Casfal and whoever wants to join them the portion of the inn that has been set aside for their use and the roped off section of the town square where they can hide their mechs relatively securely from prying outside eyes. The pigeons are energetic and ready to go.

The jaguar doesn't mind the additional pettings at all, and even starts to make a low purring noise in its throat. The kids don't seem to mind the addition of t wo new music lovers, though a few of the older boys suddenly seem preoccupied with something. The warforged itself only registers their appearance with the slightest of nods and continues to play music.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-01-31, 03:46 AM
Gorby

Gorby glares at the pigeons as he moves towards the music.

Note to self: Put out constipation-inducing bird seed.

He then notices the musical warforged and begins inspecting it up-close, from all the angles, trying to identify anything else unusual about it.

Knowledge check: 23
Knowledge: Arcana/Weapons Check (1d20+8=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1477944/)

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-31, 02:42 PM
Samuel shows Casfal and whoever wants to join them the portion of the inn that has been set aside for their use and the roped off section of the town square where they can hide their mechs relatively securely from prying outside eyes. The pigeons are energetic and ready to go.

The jaguar doesn't mind the additional pettings at all, and even starts to make a low purring noise in its throat. The kids don't seem to mind the addition of two new music lovers, though a few of the older boys suddenly seem preoccupied with something. The warforged itself only registers their appearance with the slightest of nods and continues to play music.

After parking his Kothar in the designated area and briefly touring the inn, Casfal composes a message to the General, detailing their encounter with Baron Zerstorer, and sends it off with a pigeon. Then he heads over to investigate the music. He tries to identify the tune (nation of origin, other misc. info).

[roll0]

decemberism
2008-01-31, 10:04 PM
Rijel

The artificer parks his Adamant gear in the cordoned-off area and hops out, tugging out and shouldering his bag from the cockpit. He'd been quiet long enough, going over some ideas in his mind while following the others to the village.

He follows Casfal and stops beside him, watching the 'forged musician, lowering his voice a tad after clearing his throat.

"Master Casfal, a word, if you would, please?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-31, 11:03 PM
Casfal glances at Rijel. Certainly. He leads the Aundairan out of easy earshot of the 'forged and its audience. What is it?

decemberism
2008-01-31, 11:12 PM
Rijel

He follows, watching the man in the mask. He keeps his voice quiet...

"I don't mean to speak out of turn. I merely wish to voice an opinion. I must say that what you did back there, with the mayor and the telling him about Master Gorby and Master Rennac, was very distasteful. It raises some very serious questions in my mind. I also believe that you may have compromised a very important aspect of any military team operation such as this. Or of any team, really..."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-31, 11:21 PM
Casfal nods. Noted. At the time, I felt the Mayor had a need to know, based on the possible consequences for his town and the people under his responsibility. In retrospect, it was an error, and I will not repeat it.

decemberism
2008-01-31, 11:36 PM
Rijel

Rijel nods once, solemnly.

"Good. Barring that, captain, as far as I have seen so far, you are a good man. And so are they. It would be wise not to further betray their trust in the future. If you feel the need to share their secret with other parties, ask them, first.

That would be all I wished to say, for the time being, sir."

He turns and starts to step away, about to find his way around the village.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-31, 11:45 PM
Casfal nods again. I'll remember that. He rejoins the crowd around the 'forged.

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-04, 03:00 AM
A large raven alights on Rennac's head. If he didn't know better, he'd swear it was jockeying for a look at Shay's cleavage.

The music is simple Thrannish folk music, but masterfully played. After several minutes, though, the noise slowly peters out.

"Aplogies children, energy has been depleted for today. Performances may resume on the morrow."

The kids are dissapointed, but soon trundle off to find something else to do. The 'forged rises to his feet and glances at the newcomers, visor glashing gently in time with his speech.

Gorby can tell that the warforged's cosmetic appearance has been altered significantly, but none of it appears to be terribly functional. The round object on his shoulder might be some kind of weapon, but darned if he's ever seen anything like it before.

"Greetings. Designation: Noiserender. Private militia, communications specialist and quartermaster. Query: Thrannish army, experimental weapons squad, correct?"

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-04, 03:10 AM
Rennac 's eye tics. What is it with birds?

"That'd be us. I'm Rennac, Rennac Belnades--either's fine. I'm a mercenary. You play very well, though I haven't heard much of the kind."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-04, 03:18 AM
Gorby

Gorby nods and speaks in the most pleasant tone you've heard from him since you hit the road.

"Yep. Name: Gorby. Melee specialist, arcana expert, and warforged maintenance, construction, and research. Damn impressive performance there, Noiserender; perhaps I could help you with that energy shortage later. I think I can jurryrig an external battery from some parts lying about."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-04, 02:26 PM
Yes, that's correct. I'm Captain Casfal Markise, the commanding officer and the ranged and psionics specialist.

That was a very masterful performance; "Daybreak's Bell Rings O'er the Fields," wasn't it?

decemberism
2008-02-05, 12:24 AM
Rijel

The Artificer doesn't get very far before everyone starts introducing themselves to the 'forged. He steps up behind Gorby, bowing his head towards Noiserender.

"Rijel d'Cannith, Artificer Scion of House Cannith of Fairhaven."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-05, 03:26 AM
Gorby

Gorby glances at Rijel for a moment, then steps back next to him.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-02-05, 10:26 AM
Shay beams. "Shay Birchdepth, Gatekeeper initiate."

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-06, 01:20 AM
Noise render glances and nods at each introduction in turn.

"Pleasant to make acquaintences. Praise is appreciated. Increase of energy through the use of external batteries: doubtful, excepting Gorby is speaking of psionic energy batteries. Music correctly identified. Not favorite, but appreciated by locals."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-06, 01:33 AM
It's a pleasant tune, Casfal says. Can we do anything for you?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-06, 02:15 AM
Gorby

"Well, I've never tried psionic manufacturing before, but there's always a first time for everything. You probably shouldn't be my first time, though...

"Not your favorite music, eh? Can't really blame you. You know The Artificer's Lament*?"

*The Artificer's Lament is a recent folk song about an artificer saying goodbye to a warforged he helped repair as it's ordered back to the front lines, probably to certain death. It implies the childless artificer has "adopted" the warforged as his own.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-06, 03:21 PM
Businesslike. I like that.

"More to the point," Rennac chimes in, "You must be the 'Mister Noise' we were told about. It sounds as if something attacked you--a something that falls into our field of expertise."

He jerks a thumb back vaguely towards the gears' location.

"What happened?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-13, 01:11 AM
(Holy Writer's Block Batman! :smallsigh: )

Noiserender's visor flashes slightly brighter at Gorby's comment.

"There is familiarity with the lyrics. It is unpleasant."

His helmet-like head tilts at an awkward angle to look at Rennac and Casfal at the same time.

"Purpose in this region is the gathering of intelligence pertinent to main unit's activities. Resistance was encountered in the form of enemy scouting party; escalation ocurred at the arrival of opposing commanders. Sortie was brief; civilian casualties undesirable. Currently attempting to devise an escape route unlikely to result in further incident. Stymied."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-13, 01:28 AM
Gorby

Gorby sighs. "It's not supposed to be pleasant... eh, I was gonna ask if you could play it but if you don't like it..." He trails off.

His ears perk up at the current activities note. "So you're under siege or what? Well, if you can't find a way around them, we can always find a way through them..."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-13, 01:30 AM
"Section and stinger, more like. We take care of them and either misdirect them, or escort you. Probably the former. Of course, they're sure to act somehow now that they know we're here--and between Zerstorer and our gears, I find it very unlikely they aren't well appraised of the situation." Rennac muses.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-02-13, 02:38 AM
Shay tilts her head and takes a step to the side to get a look at Noiserender from a different angle. "Hrmm. Wait a minute, he is talking about -our- enemy right? Is this guy on our side?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-13, 03:22 AM
Gorby

Gorby thinks for a moment.

"Should be. Why would Thrane send a scouting party into their own territory? Besides, the town wouldn't have welcomed us so friendly otherwise, unless this is all a big ambush. In that case, we should be getting squashed by a jumping gear anytime now."

decemberism
2008-02-13, 03:37 AM
Rijel

He raises a brow at Shay's remark, then slowly casts his gaze skywards...
Now I know what "smart like stick" means... Onatar, help me... Give me patience as you would at the forge...

He looks to Shay.
"Well, we have not been attacked yet. I would say that it is a safe bet that he is -not- our enemy... At least, not yet. Personally, I hope it stays that way. We may need all the help we can find."

He smiles a bit to Noiserender.
"I do hope you will excuse our skepticism... In the meantime, do you require any repairs? Myself... or Master Gorby.... would be happy to oblige."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-13, 04:35 PM
"Purpose in this region is the gathering of intelligence pertinent to main unit's activities. Resistance was encountered in the form of enemy scouting party; escalation ocurred at the arrival of opposing commanders. Sortie was brief; civilian casualties undesirable. Currently attempting to devise an escape route unlikely to result in further incident. Stymied."

Could you provide us with more detail, please? What are the last known locations and strengths of enemy and ally forces in the area?

Oh, and before I forget, Rijel and Gorby, would you see to reattaching my Kothar's finger sometime later today?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-13, 08:05 PM
Gorby

"Reattach it? We could do one better. How's an explosive projectile finger sound?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-13, 08:36 PM
How would that work?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-13, 09:01 PM
Gorby

"My initial plan? Thruster runes on the back side, a retrieval chain connecting it, and an expendable explosive charge in the fingertip."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-13, 09:14 PM
I see... we'll discuss it in more depth later.

decemberism
2008-02-13, 10:33 PM
Rijel

"I think that, for now, the reattachment will suffice. We can modify it later."

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-19, 01:10 AM
(Argh! I'm sorry. I can't think. I really wish I knew why updating this is so hard. I'm trying, I swear.)

Noiserender actually rubs the back of his head in what might be an unconscious or carefully crafted parody of human embarassment.

"Battle group is unallied with Thrannish government. Current hostilities result of local disagreement. Source of violence idealogical in nature; enemy unit motivated primarily by devotion to religious artifacts. Location of allies is currently unknown; frequent relocation to avoid detection by opponents is standard operating procedure. Location and number of enemy units also unknown- full strength of both factions is less than three dozen units on each side, enemy commander and sub-commander encountered with an undetermined number of scouts. Return of enemy units is likely inevitable, but exact time of attack and composition of group unguessable given current information. A significant number is likely; this unit is of some tactical importance."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-19, 02:48 AM
So your unit is not affiliated with the Thranish military... what, if any, is the affiliation of your opponents? If both groups involved are Thranish citizens, then I'm afraid we can't help you, except perhaps as mediators.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-19, 03:36 AM
Gorby

Gorby grumbles and thinks for a moment. He slowly smiles before mimicking Noiserender's speech pattern.

"Very well, then. Please detail the beliefs and/or motivations of both sides of the conflict, noting which one you are a part of, and why this particular skirmish between you has erupted, as well as each side's primary affiliation. Please use proper nouns where appropriate, followed by a short description of said proper nouns if an average soldier of Thrane would not be expected to know their meaning."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-21, 02:57 PM
"For Flamesake, Gorby, he can understand you just fine. Anyway, are you a mercenary camp?"
Rennac idly fishes for his credentials as he asks, vaguely hoping to run into someone else in the business.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-21, 05:31 PM
Gorby

Gorby rolls his eyes at Rennac but stays silent.

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-22, 01:06 AM
Noiserender's visor flashes briefly, and he continues speaking slowly and deliberately.

"Neither group is affiliated with the Thrannish government, our feud is a private one of an idealogical nature. My group merely seeks to serve the will of our god, while the other seeks to prevent us from doing so because of their short-sighted bigotry. I did not actually ask for your assistance, so if you do not wish to give it, I will not be terribly broken up."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-22, 01:28 AM
Gorby

"And which god would that be?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-22, 06:25 PM
And what sort of religious artifacts?

decemberism
2008-02-26, 11:24 PM
Rijel

He seems to perk up at the second mention of the artifacts.

"Mm... Yes... To have more information about these artifacts could be beneficial to us. Could you tell us more about them, please? What you know of them, anyways?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-02-27, 12:35 AM
"My faction seeks to form a religion to serve as a uniting movement for warforged. It is the theory of our theologians that gods are powered by the devotion of their faithful. Therefore, it is logical that if enough devotion is centered around an ideal that a god who serves as a suitable focal point for that ideal will either be spontaneously created by sheer force of will, or a nascent godling or elemental force will evolve itself to fill the appropriate role. Our goal is harness our combined devotion and that of all warforged to manifest a construct god who is able to represent us on a cosmic scale. It is only one of numerous movements designed to make us a vibrant, growing race with our own culture and our own way of being, as opposed to second-class slave labor."

Noiserender's voice actually raises slightly as he makes this speech, and a note of genuine passion creeps into his hitherto carefully modulated tones. He pauses as if to collect himself and then continues, more controlled.

"Our enemies worship the gods of the flesh creatures. They insist that it is dangerous to meddle with the cosmic scheme in such a manner and attempt to sabotage our dream of warforged unity at every opportunity. Their leader is named Imperius, and he possesses a crystal called The Source that possesses a range of supernatural abilities. I havs observed him to shield himself and others from harm, absorb divine magic, and even to resurrect the dead. They claim that the crystal is actually a fragment of Siberys, though they have not satisfactorally explained why it appears so much more powerful than other dragonshards."

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-27, 01:57 AM
Gorby

Gorby blinks. Uh oh, that's a paladin's tone... and flesh creatures? Ooookay...

He thinks for a moment before opening his mouth.

"Well, definitive proof of the gods is still sketchy. Even if you did manifest a cosmic warforged, how would you know it occurred? How would it help? I mean, you can't rely on it, even if you do make it. What do you expect it to do, wave its cosmic hand and make everything better? Ha!

"No, it's gonna be the same as every other god out there: it will still be up to you to do the hard work, deity or no deity.

"Anyway, I'm glad to hear your two sides still have the luxury of fighting across Thrane while the undead armies of our psychotic neighbor try to dominate everyone dead or alive within it."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-02-27, 04:23 AM
Shay's eyes are enlarged and sparkling. Quickly she pulls the others aside. "Did you hear him? He said he was being oppressed by horrible close-minded bigots! We've got to help him!"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-27, 06:15 AM
Gorby

Gorby whispers, "You mean like you, Ms. All-Outsiders-and-Sons-Must-Be-Destroyed?" Gorby pecks her on the leg and grins up at her.

"We might help, but let's try to find a solution that doesn't blow up half the countryside first."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-28, 01:41 AM
Your philosophy sounds like a good idea on the surface, but how do you propose to gather up enough faith? Under the Treaty of Thronehold, warforged have the same rights as any other being, including the right to choose what and how to worship.

Have you tried talking out your differences with this Imperius?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-02-28, 02:50 AM
Gorby

Gorby bursts out laughing.

"What, directly? I think things have gone a bit too far for that, Pretty Boy. You'd need a third party or someth- oh."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-02-28, 05:30 AM
Rennac shakes his head.
"There's a big difference between recognized rights and upheld rights. Thrane's hardly saintly about their warforged even today. I used to work with a mercenary captain named Secant who got fed up with it and went to Droaam."

"Anyways, believe it or not, talking directly might actually work--especially with mediators. Though I imagine if they've been at this long enough, they may have tried already."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-02-28, 01:04 PM
It's important to know if it's already been tried, Gorby, even if only so we can eliminate it from the list of possible tactics available. And Rennac, the fact that some governments do not fully abide by the terms of the Treaty of Thronehold is no excuse for a group which claims to be fighting for those rights to deny them to their own kind.

decemberism
2008-03-02, 07:44 PM
Rijel

He strokes his chin thoughtfully, musing out loud at Casfal's statement.

"It could that they fear that those they claim to protect may, in fact, become more powerful than the protectors themselves... I suppose the only way to be sure of all this is to investigate things for ourselves. If that is the case, then I may suggest we exercise careful caution."

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-06, 01:20 AM
"We have no intention of forcing anyone to follow our beliefs, we simply believe that it is in the best interests of all warforged to have a unified banner to rally under should the need arise, and we have discovered that few causes unite a people like religous fervor. We accept that all warforged will not join us, but we really only mind when they take it upon themselves to oppose us, as in the case of Imperius and his ilk. Attempts have been made to reconcile. They were not succesful."

(THE COLORS, DUKE, THE COLORS!!!)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-06, 02:03 AM
"Hrm. This whole thing's interesting to me. Always been a bit interested in warforged after meeting Secant. I'd like to get involved. And I'd also like to see what Imperius has to say, honestly." Rennac taps his chin as he muses.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-06, 01:24 PM
I admit, I'm intrigued as well. However, our mission from General Skarn takes precedence. We'll meet with this Imperius and try to mediate a resolution, if possible. But if the situation devolves into combat and we can't win it quickly and decisively, we're going to have to withdraw in order not to preserve our ability to carry out our orders.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-03-06, 01:36 PM
Excuse me? I don't think our orders entailed ignoring our duty as soldiers. Which is what we'd be doing if we just moved on and allowed these people to fight each other on Thrane's land. I have no plan on leaving until this is solved.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-06, 02:05 PM
Excuse me? I don't think our orders entailed ignoring our duty as soldiers. Which is what we'd be doing if we just moved on and allowed these people to fight each other on Thrane's land. I have no plan on leaving until this is solved.

The mission takes precedence, Casfal insists. You're correct that we have a duty to see that this conflict is resolved as quickly and with a minimal loss of life, but we have specific orders. If we cannot resolve it ourselves, then we should report the situation to headquarters and let them decide how to deal with it.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-06, 03:04 PM
"'The mission' is to go and sit our asses at an outpost that won't likely see any activity for another week, if I remember right." Rennac interjects.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-06, 03:12 PM
Gorby

"No activity for the next week probably means all hell will break loose in the next week, but still, we got at least enough time to check out this mess; let's just work on that for now and decide what to do next when it comes up."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-06, 03:13 PM
The general said it was "a key point in our defense grid," so all the same I'd like to get there as quickly as possible.

decemberism
2008-03-07, 09:09 AM
Rijel

"Then, perhaps we should help Master Noiserender with his situation as quickly as we possibly can. If we can prevent a possible uprising among the Warforged, then we should lend our aid.

Either way, whatever we choose to do, sitting here and debating the course of action will not get us anywhere faster. Keep in mind, we still need to conduct our repairs on the gears, rest, and perhaps resupply."

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-11, 09:17 PM
"Likelyhood that Imperius will send a group after this unit tonight is minimal," says Noiserender, lapsing back into his colder style of speech. "Ample time to service your equipment should be available. In return for assistance profferred, allow assistance with maintanence on your machines; this unit has some experience in basic armor and weapons repair."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-11, 09:22 PM
Thank you, Noiserender. We'd appreciate any assistance you can provide. We'll head out to see Imperius tomorrow.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-11, 11:00 PM
Gorby

"Nice, another pair of hands would be useful. I'll join ya as soon as I'm done writing that letter back for the mailbird."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-03-12, 03:47 AM
Shay

Shay takes hold of Rennac's hand. Come on, let's explore this town. I heard tell there were some bratwurst merchants in need of beatings.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-12, 04:33 AM
Rennac grins and follows Shay's lead. "Sounds like fun." He turns and tips an imaginary hat to the rest of the party as they go.
"Take it easy, kids..."

decemberism
2008-03-12, 08:19 AM
Rijel

The artificer chuckles quietly, watching them...

"Exploring sounds like a good idea. Perhaps I may do some of my own..."

He looks to Noiserender, hefting his pack.

"Master Noiserender, would you know of any smithies or workshops in the area that we could use to repair our gears? Or of any shops that would sell any reagents and other such goods?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-20, 07:53 PM
Noiserender does, in fact, know of several such establishments, and he's more than happy to show Rijel around.

The mailbirds are quite personable and only poop on Gorby once.

Shay and Rennac find a very pleasant elderly gentleman selling almost completely edible meat pies.

Casfal... finds whatever it is he's looking for right now.

(Now let's see some Listen checks...)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-20, 08:28 PM
Rennac listens the hell out of it, whatever it is.
Listen check (1d20 4=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1533486/)

decemberism
2008-03-20, 09:05 PM
Rijel

He keeps his ears open while being shown around by 'Render.

Listen Check:12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1533494/)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-20, 09:58 PM
Gorby

Gorby grumbles as he walks out of the mailhouse, his letter to Jaela on its way.

"I wonder if they taste like chicken..."

(OOC: Will post the gist of Gorby's letter to Jaela later.)

Listen: 1
Listen check (1d20-1=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1533525/)

EvilRoeSlade
2008-03-20, 10:55 PM
Shay's ears twitch as she looks longingly at a meat pie.

[roll0]

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-21, 09:14 AM
Casfal is exploring the town.

[roll0]

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-23, 11:39 PM
Shay's twitching ears pick up something!

Off to the left there is a faint shuffle of what sounds like feet... except Shay's keen elven senses do not visually detect anyone present to make the noise. She also hears very quiet whispers.

"Don't. Touch. That."

"... sorry! I have to stay close to you or the spell will quit working."

"You can't make it any wider at all?"

"No, and as a matter of fact it's about to fail; we need to find somewhere to hole up while I recast it."

"Let's try that rickety old abandoned house down there far away from anyone who will hear your cries of agony."

"... you're mean."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-23, 11:58 PM
Rennac buys a meat-pie for Shay, in the meantime!

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-24, 12:23 AM
Gorby

Gorby naturally drifts to where Rennac & Shay are, following the literary law that the characters shall always converge just before something big happens.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-03-24, 01:12 AM
Shay tilts her head, ears wiggling a bit. Elven senses tingling... oh? She puts her arm around Rennac's shoulder and guides him toward the haunted house, trying to look casual about it. Meanwhile she takes the meat pie in bites into, blinking after she does so. Don't tell anyone I ate this, she murmurs and then gobbles it down.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-24, 01:22 AM
"No probl--em?"
Now that he's properly directed at the source of the disturbance, Rennac picks up on it. A quick glance around to see if anyone visible's watching him, then he surreptitiously slinks after the voices, towards the houses. He motions for Shay and Gorby to follow along.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-24, 02:34 AM
Gorby

Gorby blinks and follows, lowering his face a bit. "Eh, what's this about?"

EvilRoeSlade
2008-03-24, 02:37 AM
Shay continues walking toward the house arm in arm with Rennac, trying to think of something to say that won't blow their cover. Umm... uhh... I'm horny?

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-24, 04:52 AM
Gorby

"And you're letting me watch?" *biggrin*

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-24, 10:04 AM
Casfal, by chance, happens to come into earshot as Gorby says that. Watch what? Or do I want to know?

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-24, 02:51 PM
Rennac turns away, grinning, to look back at Casfal and Gorby, before muttering quietly.
"Company, you two. Go your separate ways and then double back to that rickety house. As for us, Shay just gave me an idea for an excuse to be there..."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-24, 05:26 PM
Casfal nods and walks past, pausing to purchase a meat pie himself.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-24, 05:41 PM
Gorby

Gorby nods, grins, then turns to Casfal when nobody else is around.

"Well, 'brother', I think I know the perfect spot to undertake our eeeeeeeevil infernal rituals..."

Gorby also purchases a meat pie.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-24, 09:52 PM
Actually, I believe there may be a way we can keep tabs on that house without needing to go there ourselves. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Sune? The psicrystal pokes out from his sleeve. Follow Rennac and Shay, and try to stay out of sight. The crystal drops from his sleeve, grows some spindly legs, and scuttles off after Rennac and Shay, keeping to the shadows.

[roll0]

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-25, 01:05 AM
Gorby

Gorby grumbles.

"Fine, fine, but can we at least have an excuse for being near the house? I do not want to run halfway across to get there when the sh*t hits the turbines."

He watches the psycrystal walk off.

Note to self: build crystal mecha spiders in future.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-25, 10:21 AM
Certainly. Casfal starts heading in the general direction of the house, although taking care not to follow Rennac and Shay directly. He pauses occasionally to look into shop windows and the like.

decemberism
2008-03-25, 09:23 PM
Rijel

Rijel steps out from one of the shops Casfal stops at, tucking a small pouch into his pack. He steps up beside Cas and Gorby.

"Captain, Call me curious, but... Were we, by any chance, given money with which to purchase repair supplies with? Or will we be reimbursed by the Church for repair supplies purchased from our own pockets?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-25, 10:08 PM
Rijel

Rijel steps out from one of the shops Casfal stops at, tucking a small pouch into his pack. He steps up beside Cas and Gorby.

"Captain, Call me curious, but... Were we, by any chance, given money with which to purchase repair supplies with? Or will we be reimbursed by the Church for repair supplies purchased from our own pockets?"

((Uh... *looks helplessly at DM* Can I get some guidance here?))

Magnus_Samma
2008-03-26, 01:01 AM
(Unless I'm enormously mistaken, you haven't recieved any funds yet, but you can probably assume that any purchases you make that the army deems to have been useful to the military campaign will be reimbursed at a later date.)

As Shay and Rennac arrive at the house they see the rickety front door swinging quickly closed, as if by some strange unseen force. There is a muffled clattering noise from inside.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-26, 01:30 AM
Gorby

((OOC: Don't you mean Rennac, Magnus?))

"No, we weren't given money. Hopefully that'll change once we're more successful."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-03-26, 01:51 AM
Rennac looks around once before whispering to Shay,
"Okay, we're gonna bust in on them. If they get suspicious when the door rattles, we act like we were getting frisky against it and were looking for someplace to hide. If I solidify the act by kissing you, you can beat me up for it later, I promise."
He then slips over to the door and tries the handle.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-26, 02:50 AM
Gorby's right. We haven't been given any funds in advance. However, I'm confident that reasonable and necessary expenditures will be reimbursed later.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-26, 02:55 AM
Sune lurks near the door where Rennac and Shay are.

[roll0]

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-26, 02:57 AM
Gorby

"Reimbursed from the dead scrap we haul in for salvaging, probably. The very things trying to kill us are paying for our repairs."

decemberism
2008-03-29, 04:37 PM
Rijel

He pauses, seeming to consider this.

"Well, I suppose so long as get something out of it..."

He trails off, watching Casfal... He leans closer to Gorby, lowering his voice a bit.

"..... What is he doing?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-29, 04:53 PM
((*looks alarmed* What am I doing?))

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-29, 08:16 PM
Gorby

Gorby whispers to Rijel. "Investigating something. Duh. And shhh."

decemberism
2008-03-29, 11:00 PM
Rijel

He glances down at the goblin, resisting the urge to politely cuff upside the back of his head.

"-What- is he investigating?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-03-29, 11:23 PM
Gorby

"Stick around and we might find out. Now shhh."

Magnus_Samma
2008-04-03, 04:45 PM
If this particular house ever had a lock then it is long past use now- the door falls open with barely a nudge.

Inside the house are two warforged, both lightly built, but one noticably moreso than the other. The taller one has armor made of a strange almost sparkling blue metal, while the shorter one is armored in a light shade of metallic purple.

They both look up in shock as the door creaks open.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-04-03, 04:53 PM
Sune tries to sneak into the room unnoticed.

[roll0], [roll1]

Lord Iames Osari
2008-04-06, 12:13 AM
Rennac and Shay just opened the door. Two warforged in the room, lightly built, one more so. Tall one in blue metal, short one in light purple, Casfal mutters tersely to Gorby and Rijel.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-04-06, 03:40 AM
"Ah, er...ah. We'll...find another shack?" Rennac rubs the back of his head. Taking Shay's hand he begins earnestly retreating around to one side of the building.

****. **** **** ****. They've got to be with this Imperius. They won't buy that for a minute.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-04-06, 08:43 AM
Shay

Shay presses herself against Rennac. No Rennac, I need to feel your manly prowess now. She casts a sidelong glance at the two warforged. They won't mind if we make it a foursome. Right?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-04-06, 12:49 PM
... And Shay just propositioned them... Casfal adds, disbelievingly.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-04-06, 04:13 PM
Gorby

"Damn. She'll do it with the constructs but not with us?"

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-12, 11:50 PM
The blue warforged stares at them for a moment, then puts his hands on his hips.

"Ma'am, you don't know what you're gearin' up for."

The other warforged punches him in the stomach. He folds with a quiet whine. The light purple one then turns to Shay and Gorby, speaking with a decidedly feminine lilt and putting her hands behind her back in an attempt to appear less threatening.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry about him. He's incurably insane, you see. We're just passing through the neighborhood while we go south to find some good honest hard labor to do for little pay or prestige like good warforged are supposed to do. We won't bother you anymore."

If either of them notices Casfal, they don't make any visible indication that they've done so.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-13, 12:21 AM
Rennac Belnades is in a very strange predicament.
The object of his affection is clinging very tightly to his side.
An almost definitely hostile target has just lied, badly, about its intentions.
He's in a town that's sure to abhor his kind.

Okay, I can fix this. I just need to what.

Oh, and that object of his affection just invited two warforged into a foursome.

Needless to say, he doesn't quite know what to say for a moment. The hapless tiefling locks up for a moment, standing stiff, expression of bewilderment on his paralyzed features. Rennac has absolutely no idea what to do.

So then he punches the blue warforged in the face and runs away. His fist is also on fire.

Unarmed strike with Burning Blade. Should hopefully not provoke an attack of opportunity because this is a surprise round.

Unarmed strike (1d20 6=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1625814/)
Blegh, even without their Dex to AC I bet that'd miss. May as well get this game back with a bang (or a clang) and use an action point on that roll.
Action point (1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1625815/)
Attack roll is 17 vs. Flatfooted, now.
Nonlethal damage (1d3 4=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1625818/)
Fire damage, rather less nonlethal (1d6 2=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1625819/)
Total: 6 nonlethal, 5 fire, 11 total. And another few points to the WTFoscale.

It's good to be back, guys.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-13, 12:34 AM
Gorby

"So, what's happening, brother? What's happening?"

Gorby tries to lean in for a better look.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-13, 01:02 AM
((Well, firstly, Casfal isn't in the room; his psicrystal, Sune, is. Secondly, Gorby can't possibly get a better view of what's going on, since it's a direct feed to Casfal's mind.))

The short purple one just punched the tall blue one in the abdomen. Now the purple one is trying to play innocent, and Rennac just punched it with a burning fist. Let's hurry. Casfal stops window shopping and begins striding purposefully toward the shack.

Sune simply stays put, watching and listening.

decemberism
2008-06-13, 01:16 AM
Rijel

He casts his gaze skywards and sighs...

"Here we go..."

He shakes his head and is soon on Casfal's tail...

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-13, 01:35 AM
Shay smiles, her eyes becoming half-moons of bliss and innocence. "Umm... okay. Don't mind him, he's a psychopath too. Anyway, I hear there's some sort of civil war going on with the warforged in this area. Do you know anything about that?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-13, 04:07 AM
Gorby

((Thought they were visually spying on them.))

Gorby follows, mumbling occasional snippets about dropping a roof on them.

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-14, 09:54 PM
The lavender warforged stares after Rennac. The blue one lies on the floor, holding his face.

"I knew this was gonna happen, too. When we were on our way here I said to myself, 'Gee, I sure hope nobody punches my face.' Look at what happened."

"Shut up."

"I think I'm bleeding."

The lavender warforged sighs, and points her crossbow at Shay's tracts of land.

"I'm really sorry about this."

(You know the drill, roll initiative, gimme your first round actions, and clench your buttocks.)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-14, 10:05 PM
Initiative (1d20 5=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1627987/)
Incubus Turbulence stance (1d100=31) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1627989/) = +2 to hit.

Rennac re-enters right about then, surging past Shay with a wild lunge that threatens to take the lavender warforged's head off. Easily avoided, but it hopefully ruins her shot.

Attack roll (1d20 8=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1627992/)

"Crossbows are a coward's weapon," he says with a slight grin, drawing back into a more defensive posture and giving Shay a quick glance.

"Sorry. Forgot my hat."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-14, 11:02 PM
Shay

Shay tilts her head to the side. "Sorry for what? And on an unrelated note, what's that bizarre mechanical contraption? Ooh, lemme see!" Not being a firm believer in personal boundaries, Shay reaches over and tries to yank the crossbow out of the warforged's hands.

[roll0] opposed roll is at -4 penalty due to non-melee weapon, and if I succeed the crossbow is now in my hand.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-15, 12:00 AM
Initiative (1d20 8=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628098/)

Casfal tries to estimate the travel time from their current location to the abandoned house. If it'll only take a round or two, he readies and loads his crossbow. If it'll take longer than that, he breaks into a run.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-15, 12:18 AM
Whoops, need an initiative roll.

[roll0]

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-15, 01:56 AM
Gorby

Gorby breaks into a run alongside Casfal. Then he speaks an arcane word and is running ahead of Casfal so fast he leaves a Roadrunner-ish dust cloud behind him.

Initiative: 7
Gorby casts Swift Expeditious Retreat, increasing his speed to 60', as he breaks out into a run towards the house. (Running up to 240' this round.)

Initiative (1d20+1=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628208/)

decemberism
2008-06-15, 11:55 PM
Rijel

Brandishing his morning star, he breaks into a dash alongside Casfal, quickly going through his infusions in his mind.

(Initiative: 1d20+2=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1628982/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-17, 01:19 AM
Casfal isn't that far from the house- he'll make it in one round easy. Gorby, by contrast, is already there and watching as Rennac ruins the lavender warforged's aim, sending her crossbow bolt into the wall directly above Shay's head. Shay proceeds to casually reach out and pull the crossbow out of the 'forged's hands. She stares down at them in disbelief.

"I can't believe you just let her do that," says the blue 'forged, still on the floor.

"I didn't... she was... and I..."

"Screw this, we're going home."

Rijel arrives just in time to see the blue warforged raise his hands, mutter some syllables in draconic, and create a brief flash of blue light that causes the two constructs to dissapear from sight.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-17, 01:55 AM
Casfal spits on the ground where the warforged were, then kneels down and collects Sune. Neither of you were hurt, were you? Things got a bit hard to follow at the end there.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-17, 02:35 AM
Gorby

Gorby tries to catch whatever spell they're casting as he rushes. After the two disappear, Gorby blinks & looks at the crossbow Shay's gripping.

"Nice piece you're holding there. Mind if I take a look?"

Gorby tries to inspect the crossbow, looking for crafting quirks or symbols that might reveal where, or by who, the crossbow was made.

"Definitely experienced casters. You got lucky."

Spellcraft: 10
Weaponcraft: 18

Spellcraft; Craft Weapons (1d20+9=10, 1d20+8=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1630294/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-19, 10:38 PM
The crossbow is extremely well made, with a few of the imbedded metal and jewel tracings that usually indicate enchantment, but it is very functional, with very few unneccessary design flourishes. There is a series of tally marks carved into the stock.

The spell was some manner of invisibility. The warforged both make very bad move silently checks and the noise of their feet on the woodwork is clearly audible as they shoulder an unprepared Rennac out of the way and out the door.

One of them seems to hit their head on the frame, because there is a loud cracking noise, a splintering of wood, and a muffled cry, followed by a series of thumps.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-19, 11:04 PM
Rennac tries to listen (badly: Listen for location (1d20 4=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1633893/) ) for their location, but decides if they had to squeeze through the door, that's a start. He blows through that area like a thunderbolt.

(Charging minotaur bull rush, if I can, going through the doorframe, since hopefully I'll nail at least one. Doesn't provoke AoOs.)

Charging Minotaur (1d20 2=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1633894/) And that is officially the worst bull rush ever.
But if I connect, I still do...
Damage (2d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1633895/)
...Four damage. You know, there are some days the dice just don't plain like you.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-20, 12:30 AM
Listen check (1d20 4=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1633942/)

Casfal meets with similar failure to pinpoint their location, although he looks around and manifests defensive precognition.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-20, 12:44 AM
Gorby

Dammit! Dropped my guard too quickly.

Gorby looks around for paint, marbles, nails, anything he could toss at them to trip or expose them. He then tries to listen for them, run next to them (using Swift Expeditious Retreat again if necessary), and hurl said substance at them.

If Gorby can't hear them himself, he asks his teammates where they are.

Listen check: 12
Attack Roll to Throw Substance: 19

Listen check; To-Hit roll for the substance (1d20-1=12, 1d20 4=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1633958/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-20, 10:51 PM
(Anyone running out the door needs to make a reflex save.)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-20, 10:57 PM
Reflex save (1d20 7=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1635040/)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-20, 11:13 PM
Gorby

Reflex Save: 9 (dammit)

Reflex Save (1d20+1=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1635049/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-22, 11:35 PM
Gorby trips over something and falls headlong. He finds himself lying on top of the now visible levender warforged. His chin is resting in between her ironwood breasts, but she doesn't seem to notice- there's a sizable dent in her forehead, and she seems to be staring unseeingly into space.

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-22, 11:49 PM
Shay

Shay hurries after Gorby, eyes wide with concern. "Oh no! Are you okay?!"

Reaching the scene, she tramples over Gorby and extends a hand down to help the purple warforged up.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-23, 04:47 AM
Gorby

"Nice to see you're so concerned about me-GAH!"

Gorby tries to bra-dive into the purple warforged's knockers to avoid a sound trampling.

(Hmmm, will that even work? Is the warforged sufficiently sexy? Does what she's wearing count as clothes? Will-WHY AM I ASKING THESE QUESTIONS?!)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-24, 08:24 AM
Rennac manages to catch himself with a vaguely impressive amount of bending as his foot connects with the purple warforged, resulting in a moment of hangtime before ending up upside down, balanced on a palm, and vaguely confused.
"Huh? What was th-oh. ...Gorby, get out of her chassis."

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-24, 06:43 PM
Gorby somehow winds up crawling out from under the lavender warforged's remarkably shapely backside. Unfortunately, this means he winds up getting pinned underneath her when she sits up in a panic, casting about for an escape route.

It's simultaneously the heaviest and sexiest thing that's ever happened to him.

"Oh no! I've been captured...! ...you'll never take me alive!"

The warforged quickly draws a dagger, and stabs herself in the chest with it. The blade snaps and spins away, missing Shay by the breadth of her clothing. Which consequently spills open.

The warforged stares forlornly at the broken knife. "Man. I suck at this."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-24, 06:53 PM
Shay

"Ahh!" Cries Shay, blushing. "My flimsy silk kimono is ruined and now everyone can see my disgusting, embarassingly large bosom! Why am I narrating this?!"

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-24, 06:58 PM
Rennac, ever the jedi gentleman, whisks off his vest-robe-thing and tosses it to Shay before heading over to the 'forged and offering her a hand up.

"Look, sorry for punching your friend in the face, I kind of panicked. Can we just figure out what's going on and then resume the battle?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-24, 08:03 PM
Gorby

Gorby taps his fingers on the floor.

"It wouldn't help anyway. We've got enough skilled warforge mechanics with us to revive you from anything short of complete vaporization. I'd suggest you surrender quietly unless you want that beautiful frame marred.

"And could you please get off me? Sometime? Not that I'm complaining; this is enjoyable, although slightly disturbing."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-24, 08:08 PM
Shay

Shay pouts as she struggles into Rennac's vest. Being that it isn't equipped to hold certain feminine additions, she strikes a very different figure while wearing it. If buttons could talk, these ones would ask to be euthanized.

"I don't see why we have to fight at all. We're not even in our gears. The only reasons people tune in is to see giant robots fight." Her buttons probably wouldn't agree.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-25, 01:48 AM
Casfal comes out of the house and moves around to the side, leveling his crossbow at the lavender warforged. Stand up slowly and put your hands on your head. He listens intently for any hints as to the location of the other warforged.

Listen check (1d20 4=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1639563/)

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-27, 12:39 AM
"Uh, sorry about that." The warforged gets off of Gorby, slowly, raising her hands as she keeps an eye on Casfal's crossbow.

"You can torture me as many times as you like, but you're wasting your time. I'll never betray Imperius."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-27, 12:47 AM
"Actually, we're trying to do this whole nonviolent resolution thing. ...It's not off to a good start, admittedly."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-27, 01:04 AM
"And I think we know whose fault that is," says Shay, glaring at the warforged. "Come on. You sound like you've got your reasons. Won't you just tell us your side of the story?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-27, 01:52 AM
((So I take it my 22 Listen Check didn't hear anything?))

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-27, 04:25 AM
Gorby

Gorby sounds a bit dazed... or distracted.

"Aye... we'll forgive ya just this once..."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-29, 11:53 PM
"...Put down the damn crossbow, Casfal," Rennac snaps, pushing his arm down.
"If she runs I can catch her, and if she fights she's already injured and outnumbered."
Looking back at the 'forged, he speaks more neutrally.
"But I don't think either's gonna be an issue. Look, why don't we start with names? I'm Rennac."

Magnus_Samma
2008-06-30, 01:01 AM
(Casfal's check doesn't detect much over the noise of Shay yelling about her giant hooters, no.)

The warforged looks around at you warily. "You attack us without provocation, are known to consort with one of Mournbringer's most ruthless lieutenants, and then you tell me you have no intention of harming me? You think me a fool."

As she speaks, a large black raven swoops down out of the sky and perches on the roof of the house you've been muddling about in/around. It seems to be watching the scene with unusually bright eyes.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-30, 01:15 AM
Gorby

"Hey, now wait a minute, lady! I know Rennac wouldn't be stupid enough to- scratch that. Rennac usually isn't stupid enough to attack first when he isn't with Shay. She has that effect on him."

He rolls his eyes. "Women...

"And 'most ruthless lieutenants'? The guy playing music to children? 'Consort'?! We've only known about this Gods-damned conflict for a half-hour! Now if you've got your own side to it, start discussing it, else all we'll have to go on is Music Man's version!"

He glances up as the raven lands and makes eye contact with it. "Huh..." He glances back down, casts a quick Detect Magic, then looks at the raven again.

Spellcraft Check to ID School of Magic Auras Seen: 20

Spellcraft Check for Detect Magic: School Identification (1d20+9=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1644574/)

ExHunterEmerald
2008-06-30, 04:44 AM
Rennac slides out of the way to ensure he isn't standing right below the bird. He's had experiences with that before.

"I was invited to a foursome with the most beautiful elf I've ever seen and a pair of warforged we had just caught spying on us. I sort of panicked. Sorry."

"But Gorby's right, however loudly he's saying it. Before we start cutting heads off and whatnot, I'd like to hear both sides. We're all new to this fight, but given that it's occurring within Thrane's boundaries with a war heating up, it's in our best interests to resolve it, one way or the other."

EvilRoeSlade
2008-06-30, 04:54 AM
Shay puts her hands on her hips and fumes.

"Oh give me a break! Gorby just got stepped on by me and sat on by you, I throw Rennac into walls at the slightest provocation, my boobs seem to be a magnet for all the misfortunes of the universe, and back at Flamekeep, my avian keeps trying to commint statutory rape with Jaela! And you don't see any of them getting all pouty! So you've got no cause to get all huffy over some fire-based attack. So let's try this again, huh? I'm Shay!"

She slips an arm around Rennac and leans against him. "And this is Rennac. What's your name?"

Mike_Lemmer
2008-06-30, 05:43 AM
Gorby

"In the universe's defense, your boobs are a large target..."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-06-30, 10:40 AM
Casfal lowers his crossbow. The Mournbringer? You know who's responsible for the Mourning?

decemberism
2008-06-30, 02:03 PM
Rijel

Rijel stares at Casfal, dumbfounded...

"Yes Casfal. A Warforged caused the Mourning."

He shakes his head.

"The very idea is utterly ridiculous, given the circumstances afterwards."

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-02, 01:34 PM
The warforged shudders a little. "No, no, Mournbringer is... well, I don't think he's incapable of something like that, at least psycholigcally... he's the leader of the force of warforged that Noiserender belongs to. They call themselves the Destroyers, and it's not just a morale booster. There's about three small villages to the east of here that have been wiped out in the past few months, just because the Destroyers want to carve out a nation for themselves. Mournbringer calls himself that because he thinks the living races are responsible for the Mourning and wants to visit it back on them by wiping every last one of you off the face of the planet. ...even though I have heard a lot of rumors that some kind of a giant warforged was what caused the Mourning, but that's just heresy..."

She shakes her head. "Anyhow, I'm Cobol, and this-" She reaches up and punches the air at roughly crotch height. The blue warforged appears out of thin air, holding himself and letting out a thin wail before falling over. "-is Invis."

"When... when does the hurting stop...?"

Gorby notices that the bird doesn't have a magical aura at all. Uh. I'm really not sure -how- this works, so I'm making it up on the fly... the bird does have an aura of some kind, and it is detectable by Gorby's ability to see magical ones, but it is clearly not actually originating from any kind of arcane magic... which, I'm imaging he could deduce probably means it's some kind of psionic effect.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-02, 06:01 PM
Gorby

"Hmmm, that sounds... just lovely."

Gorby goes silent after that, letting the others speak. He slowly paces back & forth, pausing a moment just to subtly nudge Casfal. Gorby softly mutters to him,

"Hey Casfal, what has black wings, an aura like your little companion, and is watching us like a hawk?"

Lord Iames Osari
2008-07-05, 10:09 PM
Are they allied with the Lord of Blades? And how do you know about their agenda? Casfal is still wary. When Gorby mutters to him, he glances up at the raven, then at the warforged, then back to the raven. Is that raven with you? He raises his crossbow halfway to firing position.

Casfal readies an action to fire at the raven if it tries to fly away.

ExHunterEmerald
2008-07-06, 10:26 AM
"Do you do anything but ignore your squadmates and ask questions that have almost no pertinence whatsoever?" snaps Rennac impetuously.

"I'm out of here. Gorby, if he gets a little too collateral with his damage interrogating them, hit him in the crotch for me. You're at the right height for it. C'mon, Shay."

Rennac steps outside and leans against the rickety shack, arms folded.

(And I suppose I should apologize out-of-character for Rennac's seemingly-but-not arbitrary attitude problem with Casfal.)

Lord Iames Osari
2008-07-06, 01:41 PM
((They're already outside))

Without taking his gaze from the raven, Casfal retorts, How are my questions impertinent? A group of warforged who hate organic life and want to wipe them out? Hmm, where have I heard that before? Oh, yes, the Lord of Blades and his followers believe that. Maybe we should find out if we're dealing with some of his followers, an independent group, or a separate but allied movement.

And Rijel, why is it so ridiculous that a warforged would have caused the Mourning? The simultaneously wiped out the creation forges churning them out to be used as tools and then discarded, and also created an area in which living beings can barely survive, but constructs can thrive.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-06, 02:51 PM
Gorby

Gorby glares at Rennac.

"Hey! Just because he's my brother doesn't mean he's my responsibility!"

Gorby mutters under his breath and rolls his eyes.

decemberism
2008-07-06, 04:06 PM
Rijel

"If you cared to think about it, what are the biggest things in Cyre that could have caused the Mourning? The Forges themselves. The 'forged knew that they came from it. Why would you destroy the only thing that could produce more of your own kind if you wanted to raise an army?"

He shakes his head, waving the explanation off.

"But, that isn't the point. She already said that this Mournbringer didn't do it. And by the sounds of it, the Destroyers are a seperate entity from the Lord. And, these two probably know of their agenda because they're fighting them..."

He turns to Cobol, expectantly.

"Am I wrong in my deductions?"

EvilRoeSlade
2008-07-07, 08:15 PM
"See ya mister bow-happy." Shay rolls her eyes and bounces along with Rennac.

Magnus_Samma
2008-07-08, 02:28 AM
"That's more or less correct," says Cobol as she gets to her feet. "Mournbringer isn't exactly shy about his agenda. He's been preaching revolution and genocide since before the end of the war, and he and his unit were already planning to escape the army before the warforged were given our freedom. Imperius and the rest of us have been trying to stop him ever since. It hasn't been easy- he's getting fresh supplies and troops, and we think they might be coming from the Mournland. We're pretty sure he isn't working with the Lord of Blades, if only because his ego couldn't handle it, but there's no telling for-"

She pauses at Gorby's question. "Raven?"

"Ravens are bad," says Invis, whirling just in time to see Noiserender approaching from the village square, visor glowing crimson.

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-08, 07:50 AM
Gorby

Gorby mutters, "Crimson visors are bad, too, I'd say... Casfal, why don't you talk to him?"

Gorby waits a moment, then quickly whispers to Cobol & Invis, "If you want to say how or why the hell you cornered him here, you should explain it really really fast before the fireworks start."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-07-08, 08:14 AM
Fortunately, or unfortunately, Rennac sees Noiserender coming from the village as he and Shay depart.
"Damn it. As much as I'd love to leave that pompous thoqqua's chewtoy out to dry, this thing is about to get a whole lot messier."

Lord Iames Osari
2008-07-08, 01:15 PM
Casfal lowers his crossbow. I can't see how that's going to help anything. If the raven is his, he's just as likely to attack me as to talk, and I'm not very good in a melee. Ah well. Casfal takes a step toward Noiserender, then whirls around and fires at the raven. For Galifar! As soon as the bolt is away, he starts reloading.

Bluff check to disguise Casfal's intent to attack and thus gain surprise (1d20 5=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1654529/), Action Point to Bluff (1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1654534/), Light crossbow (1d20 4=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1654531/) (+1 if the raven is within 30 ft), Light crossbow + Psionic Shot damage (1d8 2d6=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1654533/) (+1 if the raven is within 30 ft)

Mike_Lemmer
2008-07-08, 03:11 PM
Gorby

Gorby's jaw drops.

"...See? We attack everyone without provocation..."

Gorby mutters as he pulls out his greatsword, takes a step behind cover, and waits to see what Noiserender, the raven, and Invis & Cobol do.

"...Last time I ask him to be diplomatic..."

ExHunterEmerald
2008-07-08, 08:38 PM
Rennac balks.
"Did h--New plan. Come with me, Shay, right now."
Rennac takes off at a full sprint...

decemberism
2008-07-09, 12:17 AM
Rijel

The Artificer hefts his mace again, scowling in Casfal's general direction as he ducks back with Gorby and Co.

"I swear, even if we make it out of this alive, I'll be tempted to recommend him for a relief of duty to everyone back in Flamekeep," he mutters.