PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress Succession game

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-24, 12:47 AM
After reading the awesomest DF succession game ever (http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/), I decided that a GiantITP succession game was needed. I know there's some like-minded people around here, so lets get a list of players together and get something going.

For the uninitiated, Dwarf Fortress (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/) is a tile-based roguelike wherein you generate a large, persistent world (http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2927/worldmapregion310500yi9.png), after which you can either rampage around as an adventurer, killing things in a surprisingly graphic fashion (http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6781/gutwrencherms7.png), or send out an expedition of 7 dwarves to delve into the earth (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1347-paintbanners), searching for the riches within. The game's learning curve could be accurately described as a cliff face, but if you can muscle past your first few failed forts, its loads of fun. I promise.
A succession game is a variation of fortress mode in which a group of players take turns running a single fort, usually playing for a single game year before passing the fort on to the next player. Players are generally expected to write 'in character' details of events during their reign. Craziness and overall crashing and burning aside, Boatmurdered, as linked at the top of this post, is a good example of what I'm after here.

So, any takers?

:edit: This show has started!

The fort (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1905-glazedchaoses)

ExHunterEmerald 1051-1052 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3737854&postcount=24)
Driderman (skipped)
NEO|Phyte 1052-1053 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3749506&postcount=28)
purple gelatinous cube o' Doom (bowed out)
Captain van der Decken 1053-1054 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3777029&postcount=32)
Slaanesh
Lucid_Archon
Penguinizer
bingo_bob
Shovah
Inyssius Tor
TimeOut

Captain van der Decken
2007-12-24, 02:33 PM
I'm all for it.

Penguinizer
2007-12-24, 04:08 PM
I'm up, any flooding is decken's fault.

Driderman
2007-12-24, 06:09 PM
Sounds like an interesting proposal. I might be willing to join. What version?

Captain van der Decken
2007-12-24, 06:27 PM
The latest, I hope, since I just installed that.

Driderman
2007-12-24, 06:35 PM
That would be version: df_27_169_33g, right?

Captain van der Decken
2007-12-24, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that's the one.

Shovah
2007-12-24, 06:42 PM
I might be interested depending on when this is starting (ie; will I have enough time to learn to play - been meaning to for a while).

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-24, 07:30 PM
For version, we're gonna use whatever the newest version is when we get started. Starting time is currently undecided, but it won't be until we've finalized a player list, decided the player order, and some other matters of import (like what .ini settings to have on or off, so that such things are standardized throughout the life of the fort, as well as some discussion as the the general type of area to put the fort in (tree density, neighbors, rock layers, etc.))

Lets put the initial sign-up cutoff at three days hence, actual game start still floating until we've got the details worked out.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-12-24, 07:47 PM
I'm in like Flynn.
I'd prefer to go earlier, rather than later, but the last few days I've rapidly overcome the learning curve I was still stuck on last time I played.

Inhuman Bot
2007-12-24, 10:04 PM
sure, I'am in

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-12-24, 10:14 PM
sure, why not.

Lucid_Archon
2007-12-25, 02:47 AM
My hat, she has been thrown in! I didn't expect so many people to sign up so quick, or I would have enlisted earlier.

Driderman
2007-12-25, 05:20 AM
My initial reply was meant as a commitment, I hope that is understood

Captain van der Decken
2007-12-25, 06:03 AM
Can I have one of the earlier turns?

As for the stone layers.. how about something sedimentary and something flux. Mountainous and woodlands would be nice too.

Driderman
2007-12-25, 06:56 AM
I would prefer not playing the first turn, but other than that I don't really have a preference. Most of my fortresses have been boringly successful actually. Wouldn't know what to do without wood for timber, though.

bingo_bob
2007-12-27, 09:33 AM
I'd do it, but at the moment, I'm really, really horrible. Maybe once I can actually manage a fortress.

NEO|Phyte
2007-12-27, 12:58 PM
Ok, as of now, it looks like our list of players is as follows:

NEO|Phyte
Captain van der Decken (prefers an earlier turn)
Penguinizer
Driderman (prefers not being first)
Shovah (maybe, if he has time to learn how to play)
ExHunterEmerald (prefers an earlier turn)
Slaanesh
Lucid_Archon
bingo_bob (maybe, once he can successfully manage a fortress)

Since the odds of us managing to arrive at a coherent order list through simple talking is somewhat low, my plan is to throw the numbered runes to determine order (taking preferences into account). I may also just write out names on paper and go for the hat draw. My current plan for any potential late joiners is to add them to the order list before whichever player currently holds turn, essentially putting them at the end of the line.

As for the fort itself, thus far we have opinions that trees are preferred (very yes), as well as having flux in the rock layers (another yes, if we want to make steel). I will go on to add that making sure the mountain area of the fort does not sit on an aquifer is also a good idea. Having a source of naturally flowing water would be nice as well. If we want a chance at finding some of the Hidden Fun Stuff (demon pits, etc.), our fort will have to occupy a mountain tile on the region map. I think.

bingo_bob
2007-12-27, 06:45 PM
I'm in favor of prioritizing Flux/Magma. You can get quite a bit of wood off the bat, if you sell an axe or anvil, and there isn't a lot of things you use it for that wouldn't work with stone.

A flowing water source would be nice, too.

Driderman
2007-12-28, 02:04 PM
Unless there's something I missed you need wood to build beds... I'm rather sure our dwarves would enjoy the luxury of having beds

Captain van der Decken
2007-12-28, 02:19 PM
They don't need beds. My hunters certainly don't want them. Though they complain all the same.

Nah, the real problem is making barrels and bins. Forging them? Really not practical.

Driderman
2007-12-28, 07:23 PM
Maybe we should make a checklist of what our dwarves won't need as such...

Like clean water supply, pets, homes, decorations, weapons and so on... I'm sure it'd make for an interesting minimalistic fortress :smallbiggrin:

NEO|Phyte
2008-01-01, 07:39 PM
And so, after procrastinating for several days, I have taken the five minutes needed to decide on the play order. A d20 was rolled 12 times (needed a tie-breaker), with +5 given to those that wanted to go earlier, and -5 to the maybes.

ExHunterEmerald
Driderman
NEO|Phyte
Captain van der Decken
Slaanesh
Lucid_Archon
Penguinizer
bingo_bob
Shovah

We will be using version 0.27.169.33g (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_27_169_33g.zip), and unless we can come up with something better, chat programs will be used to transfer the world as needed (my existing saves are in the 5-7 MB range, which may be out of email attachment range for some). Turns will consist of 1 year, from autosave to autosave (so make sure you have your autosave set to yearly in the ini). In addition to the fort getting transferred to the next player, I would also like to have a copy of each year's autosave for archiving and posting to DFMA (http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php).

Those of you with your IM names in your user profile have been added to my list, we're going to have to figure out everyone else's the fun way, getting them shared.

My AIM is "CL NEOPhyte" and my Yahoo! id is "skelgrist"

ExHunterEmerald
2008-01-02, 02:23 AM
Okay, here we go!
First, the fort, as of the beginning (http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-2727-thestartingwagon):
Journal of Expedition leader "Emerald" Megvumom
1st Granite, 1051: Arrival
Finally, we've arrived. I'd still like to know exactly what the cartographers were smoking when they pointed at this region and said "That? That place right there? That's Glazedchaoses."
Still, though, things are looking good. The terrain has a good soft layer of peat to provide farmland, stockpile space, and quickly-dug lodgings. Beneath that, good stone.
Lumber and water won't be issues either. All in all, the situation looks good. I've been on worse expeditions. I'll be glad to get out of administration and back into the service after this place is up and running.
Gear on embark

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3613/embarkgearhg4.png

Location of the fort

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9278/fortlocnb6.png

4th Granite, 1051: Plans
I took a roster of relative newcomers to their trades--my experiences have taught me they'll pick up the skills quick. The exception is our axeman, who I specifically requested be experienced. I'm not taking any chances.
I began to help with the digging today; hopefully it'll set a good example if I do some real work before I have to settle in behind a table and start sorting stocks.
I ordered my lumberjack to get everyone not belowground bringing down trees. I'll clear out around the entry hall, first.
I should mention that, too. Experiences with past forts have taught me to design for defense. Call me a typical Dwarven xenophobe, but I like a fortified barricade and a few dozen buzzsaw traps between me and any siegers.
On that note, I've done a sort of weave beneath the surface to create an isolated entry hallway. I can load that with traps--and I will--and order everyone farther in before I lock the hatches. I'll add a fire line of ballistae later, too.
My current goal is to dig out living quarters, then a communal mess, and then a workspace. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have everything possible indoors.

22nd Granite, 1051: Talkin' 'bout my needs
I had a good feeling about this place. We've found two generous deposit of gemstones and some coal already, and we've hardly begun digging. I've set up some very temporary workshops on the surface--like I said, I'll feel better when they're down below.

20th Felsite, 1051: Still talkin' 'bout my needs
So far everything's going great. I've set up a large farm plot above the kitchen and dining area, and set up a food store right beside it.
Summer is right around the corner, and hopefully we'll be farming before long.
The work on my quarters and office began today. I'd like to have it engraved, but I'll take care of that myself, if only to distract myself from bloody accounting.

2nd Hematite, 1051: Boozahol
Fantastic! Today the kitchen area was cleared and the stone sent to the quarry, which means it's time to draw up the plans for the scullery.

12th Hematite, 1051: Vermin
Bloody hell! While everyone was resting some raccoons got into the wagon and made off with some supplies. It's nothing wholly essential, but it's still a pain in the ass. This is exactly why I want a fully subterranean operation.
Varmints!

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8461/verminmh1.png

16th Malachite, 1051: More gems
In the last few weeks we've struck even more precious stone. Things are going grandly. The dining hall is nearly ready, as well. My office has nearly been dug out, and if I'm not needed, I plan to spend the winter cleaning it up. I won't be the only dwarf using it, after all.

3rd Limestone, 1051: Progress
Autumn's here. The majority of the basic groundwork has been laid; today I ordered a section off the kitchens for cloth-spinning and processing. The time's gone by fast, and a lot's been done, but there's always so much to do.
I managed to mess up on the initial bunk layout, but it was corrected, albeit a bit sloppily. I've always had that tendency. I'm a bit embarrassed about the three stone stockpiles outside, but they'll be cleaned up in short order.
Room error

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/9609/whoopsql4.png

10th Limestone, 1051: Traders
We picked a fantastic location, it seems, for our fort. Before ten minutes had gone by since the announcement they were here, the trade caravan had reached the settlement. I ordered work begun on a trade depot immediately--it was careless to neglect that until now. It'll give me time to arrange agreements with our liaison, though.

15th Limestone, 1051: Negotiations
Sadly, we lack goods to trade, beyond a little wood and stone. I've put in requests for cloth, drink, and, most of all, an anvil. I'm happy to say my men had the trade depot done in record time, and the merchants have started unloading.
In less optimistic news, I've put in the order for my office furniture today. I am not looking forward to paperwork.

21st Limestone, 1051: Thief!
DAMN IT! Our entire supply of crossbow bolts was pilfered by a thief during the flurry of activity while we moved goods to the trade depot. As soon as we get a larger workforce, I'm going to see about drumming up an army.

11th Sandstone, 1051: Meager Supplies
Well, without any craftswork done this year, I had to give up a handful of barrels--easily replaced, mind--in order to trade a little bit of food. The wood and stone was just too heavy for this first, small caravan. I'm a bit embarrassed, and only more so with the other simple mistakes I've made. I can't wait to be done with administration.

3rd Timber, 1051: Immigrants
Finally! Some new muscle around here. Ten more workers. I've begun digging out additional rooms. For now, we'll sleep in shifts. I've also started a below-level barracks and archery range. It's time to build a militia, and when I'm done with my duties, I intend to head it.

14th Timber, 1051: Justice
I've designed a prison center opposite the new barracks area--because who wants to risk escaping right into the archery range, right?
The weather's turning colder, and it's only now beginning to set in that I'm going to be done with this leadership position soon.
I'll still be expedition leader, of course, but I'll be letting someone else call the shots. I'll be happy to be done with this position.
If nobody else with experience pushing paper is here, I might find myself elected mayor. Armok, just kill me now.
I can deal with it, but I won't like it. I'll probably just set easy-to-meet quotas and inane export bans just so it looks like I'm doing something meaningful to the bureaucracy.
Prison Complex

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/2004/prisoncomplexhv0.png

1st Moonstone: Winter
I've begun drafting a military with the coming of the season. For now, two recruits. In the near future, hunters and rangers will help supply crossbowmen, anyone untrained will receive training from them, and so on. This is the first project I feel really capable of tackling since I got here. I've submitted my resignation of commission, which should be completed within a few months. I will remain on-hand and provide assistance mining and recordkeeping.

25th Moonstone: More thieves
Damn it. Thieves keep getting into our valuables. So I'm moving all goods I possibly can indoors. I've also begun an enormous stone pile near the upstairs farm plots and beds. This is humiliating, really, being in charge while this happens--twice. I'm just not cut out for administration.
The barracks is nearly done, and I'm stocking it with beds.

15th Opal: How dry we are
Gah! During the work, I somehow missed the announcement that my brewer and cook had canceled their jobs! We have enough food for a while, but we're completely out of alcohol.
Reread that sentence and think on it.
Future administrators are not going to look kindly on me. Either way, I'm going to have to try and make this right. The plump helmets have nearly bloomed, they're all going to the stills. I'll be sure to take the last drink once everyone else has had their fill. Feeling scratchy already.

4th Obsidian, 1050: Nearly done
I'm glad to be rid of this post, I really am. I can't wait for next spring, when I can just work and not have to worry about all these things. For all the colonies I've seen, I've never been in charge before, and it's hard. I've begun cracking down on the records--for all my faults, I promise you nobody will have a problem taking stock of our supplies by the time I'm done--and I've begun that side project cleaning up the office.
While I'm at it, I think I'll take on the dining area as well. Call it an apology for a less than stellar first year for Glazedchaoses.

1st Granite, 1051: Finished at last
Finally, my turn at the helm is done. I'm glad to be free of the job. I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on myself, but I know it could have been much better. Heaven knows the burdens could have been graver.
I will make this journal available in the public records as I write them. I humbly request the opportunity for military service when I am no longer needed.
The rest I leave to my successor. I will gladly serve, having taken my turn at the helm. Good luck.

And, finally, the fort, at the end (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1840-glazedchaoses) of year one.
I didn't do very well as far as forts go, but it's a solid start that someone with more experience can really take off with. Enjoy.

Captain van der Decken
2008-01-02, 10:01 AM
and unless we can come up with something better, chat programs will be used to transfer the world as needed (my existing saves are in the 5-7 MB range, which may be out of email attachment range for some). Turns will consist of 1 year, from autosave to autosave (so make sure you have your autosave set to yearly in the ini). In addition to the fort getting transferred to the next player, I would also like to have a copy of each year's autosave for archiving and posting to DFMA (http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php).

We could always use rapidshare - that's pretty easy.

NEO|Phyte
2008-01-02, 12:00 PM
In that case, let there be rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/80736094/GiantITPDF.zip.html)!

(to use, extract the directory to your DF/data/save folder, be sure to back up any existing region 5 you may have.)

Driderman
2008-01-02, 01:12 PM
Argh. Although I'd like to take my turn, I just found out I'll be flooded with work for the next couple of weeks, so I probably won't be able to take the time off to work a Fortress. Sorry guys, I'll have to skip it

NEO|Phyte
2008-01-04, 10:58 PM
1st Granite
It is Spring again, and leadership of the outpost has come to me. I knew this day would come, and took note of various things, so that I might make my mark upon the land quickly and efficiently. To the southwest of where we have settled is rich, Iron-filled rock. It is to be mined, that we may shape it into steel. I also intend to increase the overall efficiency of this outpost, we have survived our first year here, it is time to worry about more than simple survival.

14th Granite
We now have a farming area within the safety of the outpost in which we shall be able to grow surface crops. It remains to be seen if the hole to allow light to reach it will need to be enlarged. The miners finished digging out the new food preparation area, and are currently digging out our future prison.

15th Granite
Elves! Just sent word to the craftsdwarves, we need trade goods as fast as they can make them.

Miners found another iron deposit, right in the middle of the prison. It is becoming quite clear why this location is chosen, if such minerals are so commonly present near the surface, there must surely be riches worthy of our great king in the deeps.

3rd Slate
Traded the first batch of crafts for some berries, waiting for the next batch to be hauled to the depot.

Just got word of some arriving migrants. We could use some more dwarves out here, hopefully they have some useful training.

6th Slate
Need to talk with the farmers, we have quite a few new mouths to feed.

11th Slate
Assigned Emerald to the position of Sheriff, we need someone to watch over this bunch, make sure they stay in line. Need to find a replacement for some of his other tasks, that he might be free to improve his martial skills.

28th Slate
I have the miners working on expanding our living quarters, if we get another set of migrants like the last one, we'll be up to our beards in, well, beards. At least we haven't run low on booze.

2nd Felsite
One of our miners has gone funny in the head. Stopped what she was doing, went to the mason's workshop, grabbed some Talc, and started making something out of it. Won't let anyone else near the place. I've told Emerald to keep an eye on her.

6th Felsite
Just got word from Emerald, it seems Dastot made an armor stand. Spiky damn thing it is. She's called it Skewercrossed, and refuses to stop carrying the thing everywhere she goes. Glad to have the workshop back.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9869/arty1tj5.jpg

9th Felsite
Been observing the miners as they dig out the area I've planned to set up a metalsmithing operation in, ever since Dastot made that armor stand, she has been far better at mining than her peers.

19th Felsite
We have everything we need to start smelting steel, we just need to get the smelter set up.

27th Felsite
The metalsmiths have their orders, once we get our anvil from the next dwarven trade expedition, we shall craft many fine arms of steel.

1st Hematite
Summer is here!

16th Hematite
Ahh, the heat of the forges is a wonderful thing to feel.

I have started planning a structure in which our trade depot shall reside, while relocating the depot to inside our settlement would be nice, it would compromise our planned defenses. The structure will be located over the settlement's entrance, serving also to give us something more impressive than a hole in the ground with which to greet newcomers.

14th Malachite
Running low on drinks, where the hell are the brewers?!

22nd Malachite
I've ordered a second still constructed, it seems that a single one is unable to keep up with our demand.

1st Galena
The depot is finally being relocated to its new home. The building itself is not yet complete, the masons have been hard at work producing the required blocks.

10th Galena
Running low on Plump Helmet spawn, we'll have to be careful with what we have left to ensure we don't run out.

25th Galena
The steel smelting is proceeding on schedule, the base iron has been prepared, it is now time to refine it.

1st Limestone
Autumn has arrived. Going to have to speed up construction of the depot building if I want it finished before next spring.

9th Limestone
The dwarven caravan is here! It is good to hear from the mountainhome, and we can get the anvil we sorely need for our metalsmithing.

11th Limestone
Emerald is meeting with the liason, I told him to make sure we get plenty of seeds and meat next visit, plump helmets may be edible, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to live on them alone.

20th Limestone
Our broker has secured an anvil from the caravan, along with what meat and fish they had to offer.

23rd Sandstone
Another dwarf has gone funny in the head, this time a glassmaker. I've ordered a glass furnace built, we'll see what happens.

1st Timber
The glass furnace got finished, and sure enough, the crazy glassmaker rushed off to claim it as his. He promptly ran off again, presumably to get supplies.

5th Timber
Well, the glassmaker apparently found everything he wanted, he's hard at work. Refuses to say what he's making, but it looks like he's got some uncut gems, some steel bars, and some stone blocks.

7th Timber
The first batch of steel has been finished, and a full set of armor has been forged for our sheriff. I've ordered more steel produced, so that we may equip the rest of our militia, and begin on the 'Foyer of Death' Emerald speaks of. The name is certainly accurate. As he describes it, each trap would have enough metal worth of serrated disks to forge a Colossus!

9th Timber
The glassmaker has finished what he was working on. Its a bracelet, and damned if it isn't the grandest thing I've ever laid eyes on. It chronicles the founding of this outpost, as well as our first meeting with the elves. It also has spikes, much like the armor stand that miner is still carrying around.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2097/arty2ar3.jpg

1st Moonstone
Winter is here.

17th Moonstone
Kobolds sighted! Mobilizing the militia to drive the filth away.

21st Moonstone
The kobolds have left, and its probably a good thing, too. 5 dwarves fell to their arrows.

23rd Moonstone
There's still a few thieves skulking about, I just beat one to death myself. We need to hurry and finish the guard towers around the trade depot. Station some marksdwarves up there and I imagine we won't end up with another ambush like this one.

10th Opal
Adil Mengvolal has just given birth to a boy! Glad to have some good news for a change.

coalandstoneandgemsandironandcoalandstoneandgemsan dironandcoalandstoneandgemsandironandcoalandstonea ndgemsandironandcoalandstoneandgemsandiron

hatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatch hatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatch hatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatchhatch

8th Obsidian
IT IS FINISHED! Shincrushes the Worthy Sneer of Tusks!
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6730/arty3ax0.jpg

12th Obsidian
Dammit, another dwarf lost. He'd been wounded in the kobold attack, and apparently nobody had brought him anything to drink.

26th Obsidian
My time in charge of the outpost is nearing an end. Its probably for the best, ever since I made Shincrushes, I've been getting funny looks from everyone. I've had the miners dig a suitably deep crypt for our fallen, and have decided to join them in their delving of the earth. I have prepared instructions for my successor, that he may finish my work as I intended it. Long may Glazedchaoses (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1856-glazedchaoses) stand!

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1027/depotjo5.jpg
The missing bits of fortification need to be added, and the roof finished. Make sure to use blocks rather than raw stone or I will cut you so bad, you wish I not cut you so bad. We're dwarves, famous for our exquisite craftsdwarfship!

The actual entrance (http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-2793-trap-ladenhall) once you get past my depot building needs weapon traps. Emerald wants 10 large serrated disks in EACH trap. We have enough steel made/queued up to get about 4 such traps made, if we ignore making more armor for our dwarves. That said, our metalsmiths don't have anything else to do, so keep the forges running for as long as our iron veins hold out!

For the smelting of steel, as long as you make sure not to run out of raw materials, use the Manager to streamline the process.
REQUIRED JOBS:
60x make Charcoal
30x Smelt Magnetite ore (limonite ore works too, but we only have a little of that, and no massive deposits to mine)
15x make Pig Iron bars
15x make Steel bars

This will consume 60 logs, 30 chunks of the ore of choice, and 30 chunks of dolomite, and get you 30 bars of steel once all the jobs finish. From there, make stuff with it. You'll need more charcoal for the actual smithing.

Be sure to get our fallen in coffins where they belong, and should you have the misfortune of needing to expand upon the crypt (http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-2792-crypt), do so in a nice symmetrical pattern of some kind.

Last but not least, the Rapidshare of the updated save (http://rapidshare.com/files/81354428/GitPDF2.zip.html). It's all yours, cubey.

Inyssius Tor
2008-01-05, 03:13 AM
Y'can staple me onto the end of that list there, if I can still join--I'm making progress on that more-or-less-vertical learning curve.
By the end of Shovah's turn, I should be skilled enough to not resign my post with the fortress in burning ruins, the lower levels overrun by skeletal hell-carp, and the dwarves all dead, dying, or insane. :smallamused:

TimeOut
2008-01-06, 06:00 PM
After reading "Boatmurdered" I decided to try DF.

Absolutly fantastic. I am now totally addicted to this game, easily comparable to my "great master of orion 2" time. You know, running around with a block scribbling down new fortress ideas and layouts... ;)

I finally understand Water/Magma mechanics (first fortress got flooded through a "well", second burned to a crisp because my limestone floodgates would not contain the magma flow).

But I have no real fighting experience yet. Thieves and snatchers get killed, no siege yet. (It is amazing what a weapon trap armed with "10 large, serrated discs" does to little goblins)
And even the wildlife in a haunted area is very friendly (unless annoyed by a hunting dwarf). I suppose I have done something wrong?

You can add me to the end of the waiting line, although I am still a newb.

NEO|Phyte
2008-01-08, 12:26 AM
Got a PM from purple cube, he's bowing out.

Decken, you're up.

Captain van der Decken
2008-01-11, 02:54 PM
1st Granite

So begins my reign. Huzzah!

Looking over the fort, a few things irk me. Firstly - so many damned animals running around! I have ordered many to be slaughtered, which should help nicely.
I also noticed a large amount of alcohol has been roasted. Armok knows why! My vengeance would be swift and terrible, if whoever actually cooked all that booze would own up.

Lastly, my mind boggles as to why sleeping quarters have been both dug and furnished, yet nobody has their own bedroom.

12th Granite

So. Much. Miasma.

It seems nobody wants to touch the dead rats, lizards and giant cockroaches, so they are content to let them rot and foul the air.
And when I say content, I mean they won't stop complaining about the miasma.

If I had my way, I'd slaughter all the cats, but some dwarfs have chosen the horrible things as pets. One dwarf has four.

I may just have them killed anyway. See how you like that, Olin Flagtwists.

13th Granite

The Elves are here. Have some miasma!

The broker sold them some roasted booze (apparently whoever did this also managed to mince it first) in exchange for some berries, some rat weed (rat weed?) and some cloth.

10th Slate

Migrants!

Migrants.

Thirty two of them.

Oh Armok. Oh no.

25th Slate

At least one of the migrants doesn't mind picking up the dead vermin, and several cats have been slaughtered, so the miasma problem has stopped, for now.
The clerk, Stodir, outright refuses let any work orders to go through. Maybe I'll have to lock him in his office.
Emerald has ordered the construction of two tin items. The miners have yet to find any. I think I see why he was only allowed to run this place for a year.

27th Slate

Ahh, locking Stodir in his office worked.

After two days.

2nd Felsite

Oddom the cook has commandeered a craftdwarf's workshop, and stolen some wood, cloth and rocks.

He says someone called Rasukthemor needs 'Gems shining, tree life, stone rock and cloth thread'.

7th Felsite

Noticing that all the peasants were idle, I decided to take it as an opportunity to recruit them as soldiers, three as wrestlers under Urist, three as marksdwarfs under me.
If the new wrestling recruits do manage to irrevocably bruise each other's spines, I plan to 'promote' them to fortress guard.

Interestingly enough this is also what has happened to Emerald. I assume that's why he's Captain.

18th Felsite

Oddom has begun making.. whatever it is he's making.

The new recruits promptly spent all the ammo, and with Oddom in the only craftshop, we have nothing to practice with.

The wrestlers, however, have no such excuse. They're just damn lazy.

22nd Felsite

Oddom has finished his.. masterpiece.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3062/df1dh2.png

1st Hematite

Summer, finally!

14th Hematite

Humans have arrived.

Some kobolds tried to break in. One fled, while the others were shot dead by a passing hunter.
Soon after that, a goblin was spotted. He fled through the dining room, where I shot him.

Postscript: More goblins have broken in. Several more. I've lost count, in fact, but it was four or five at least, I'm sure. I'd do a head count on the children, but then I don't actually know how many we have. I just hope someone gets round to building those traps I ordered.

1st Malachite

Stodir sold the humans all the goblin and kobold's clothes, for a lot of leather, cloth, food, seeds and some anvils.

I'll be damned if I know what those humans want with that crap, but they can sure have it.

13th Malachite

After months of taking out my frustrations on an archery target, I've been recognised as a hero. I've used this as an excuse to expand my quarters.

10th Galena

Kubuk the clothier refuses to leave the clothier's workshop. She refuses to do any damn clothiering. Instead, she is drawing pictures of cloth.

1st Limestone

Autumn.

Kubuk has yet to move.

10th Limestone

Kubuk has now spent a month, sitting in her clothier's shop drawing cloth.

The village liason arrived, along with dwarf merchants. Emerald, despite his 'bruised spine' excuse, meets with him immediately, requesting seeds and booze.

16th Limestone

The 'foyer of death' is already living up to its name.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/5411/df2mt2.png

I must commend my predecessors - the dwarfs brought booze, seeds and food, and lots of it. Stodir bought it all for several bins full of craft goods.

23rd Limestone

Kubuk has finally moved.

She's now running around babbling, rather than sitting in the clothier's shop.

An improvement, I'd say.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5582/df3ij4.png

28th Limestone

Emerald has sentenced Momuz Raltarmid, the soap maker, to 51 days in prison, for not making 2 tin items.

He then promptly walked over to the sleeping soap maker, and smacked her With a barrel of beer, knocking her unconscious and mangling her chest.

'Bruised spine'? My arse.

4th Sandstone

Momuz isn't getting any better, and nobody is willing to bring her any food or water.

I think they're all afraid Emerald will take offence and assault them next.

Emerald has also banned the export of tin items.

I don't see anyone breaking that mandate in a hurry.

On the bright side, I am now a high master marksdwarf.

5th Sandstone

The dwarf I told to nurse Momuz finally decided to bring her some water, after several days of frolicking with stray animals.
Momuz is unconscious, though, so doesn't seem to be touching her bucket.

7th Sandstone

It seems Emerald moderately wounded her spine, as well as mangling her chest.

She might pull through.

I may need to assign another nurse or two, though.

13th Sandstone

The babbling was slightly disturbing, so I have locked Kubuk in her room.

18th Sandstone

More migrants have arrived. A much more manageable seven, this time.

8th Timber

A grizzly bear attacked several workers. Mafol the hunter bravely stepped in to rescue them, but enraged the bear in the process. It promptly tore off her right hand and both legs - at this point I arrived and shot the bear dead.

Well, if she survives, we have a new member of the fortress guard.

Rather than rescue Mafol, nearby dwarfs chose to rescue her legs.

And relieve her of her armour, in the case of some of my squad.

11th Timber

Mafol is still lying outside, unconscious.

13th Timber

Kubuk died.

23rd Timber

Mafol is still outside, but is now being brought food and water.

1st Moonstone

Winter.

15th Moonstone

A few goblins broke in. The traps worked well, though I think one master thief managed to avoid them.

19th Moonstone

Fikod, a wrestler bruised his spine. I'm promoting him to Fortress Guard.

28th Moonstone

Brook froze.

21st Opal

I have been hailed as a Champion!

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/516/df4jr2.png

2nd Obsidian

Mafol died of thirst.

9th Obsidian

Zan Tulonzat, the peasant, has begun his own illicit work in one of the craftshops. He grabbed three pieces of coal (an odd choice of crafting material) then started to work on his 'mysterious construction'. Pointless crap, more likely.

21st Obsidian

I had some of the lads start engraving the dining room.

So far, we have dwarfs making plaintive gestures, kobolds laughing at them and dead dwarfs.

In the dining room.

The wrestler Olin has hurt his spine as well. Argh.

I've started training with a hammer, in case I run out of ammo and need to club something with my crossbow.

1st Granite

Spring! I can pass on the duties of running this place to someone else.

Last I checked, the food stocks were doing well, and the fort has fairly good defences. I suggest my successors have a look at some of the job settings, finish making beds for everybody, and perhaps get some smithing done. The jails need sorting out as well.

Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/83040854/region2.rar.html) file of the fort.

NEO|Phyte
2008-01-11, 03:24 PM
And the latest doings of the fort have been added to the great archive (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1905-glazedchaoses).

A few things I noticed looking at the fort:

There is a steel tile in the newly refloored foyer of death (lower level). This should be replaced with stone. Preferably dolomite or Talc, so it matches the rest. Wouldn't hurt to do the same with the saltpeter tile.

There are doors on the depot building's entrance. This is bad, as doors block wagons. (I figured this out only AFTER tearing up the nice refloor foundation I had set for the depot, so if you feel up to it, you may also consider removing the depot, reflooring where it sits, and replacing it.)

Aside from that, things look good.

Slaanesh, you're up!

Lucid_Archon
2008-01-27, 05:58 PM
1st Granite: What. A. Headache. My very first day on the job is the very first day I get a real sense of this place’s size. I should have gotten out of my office more often. Still, I don’t know how much work I really will have to do. Everything we need to live is more or less constructed, and we are well defended… As long as we don’t get besieged or such, then I’ll be able to slink away my time in power.

4th Granite: I’ve begun work on that dreadful jail. We do need somewhere to stick victims of noble wraith. Chains are being made, but this fortress is so busy, it might take a while. Still, it’ll make this place a little ‘safer.’

9th Granite: Elves… I despise them, but I suppose that I should set up the depot to bargain with them. Fantastic, cloth. Didn’t one of my predecessors mention something about doors…? Hmm… Adding insult to injury, the tree fools only sent a paltry two merchants. I thought that this was a grand fort, well known and well respected, not a baby outpost… Shame.

13th Granite: Right before the tree huggers unpacked, Emerald hands down a ban on exports. No tin. Well, I don’t think we have much of that lying around. Now, to buy out the leaf men!

18th Granite: Kobolds everywhere! Three of the beasts almost snuck into the fort. The fled before they got into the death hallway, but… I think some restructuring is in order. A few dogs, a many more of those discs… This won’t happen again. Wait, what? A GOBLIN THIEF TOO?!? What is this world coming to? More deathtraps! Death, death, death! Traps, traps, traps!

19th Granite: A single item bought the entire caravan. I even stripped the thing off a goblin not but yesterday. And on the topic of commerce, I am not officially a hordemaster. A testament to the riches of our great city.

9th Slate: And now I have another problem. Immigrants. 21 dwarves, most of them totally useless. However, we do have one special visitor. A dungeon master has graced our fortress with his presence. I’m not quite sure how much work I’ll have to do to accommodate him, but at least I won’t be sitting on my hands this year.

16th Slate: Miasma has flooded the first deathtrap almost completely. I really can’t do much about it right now, but I’ve sent someone to clean the goblin bits out of the fortifications. Other than that, it’s bland here. I think I might need to queue up some clothes, I keep seeing piles of tattered shoes and gloves.

25th Slate: I’ve set out some work orders to speed up the process of making serrated discs, but it will take a while to do it. Still, that should streamline the process. Fortunately, the flow of thieves seems to have stopped for the moment.

9th Felsite: The birth of a new baby boy to our animal trainer has reminded me of something. We have far to many animals gallivanting around the fort. I don’t want to have to institute the mass slaughter that my predecessor was so fond of, but I can’t see many other options…

15th Felsite: NO! Not now! Dumat Rakusttaron has lost it. He’s been taken over by something, and he’s got that look in his eyes. I hate that look. It means a headache for me, and for this fort.

16th Felsite: He’s taken a Craftsdwarf’s workshop. Running around for something. I found a few pictures in the workshop. A quarry, cloth, leather, more cloth, cut gem, and metal bars. And a lump of unprocessed coal. What is he doing?

1st Hematite: Two lumps of coal, three reams of pig tail cloth, a piece of fox leather, a cut bloodstone and a steel bar were seen in Dumat’s workshop seconds before he shut the door and began his… work. A strange way to start our summer.

4th Hematite: It is done. “Skullsoared” the coal mug. It’s… beautiful. It outshines any product this fort has ever seen. It makes me dizzy just to look at it. And as a bookkeeper and appraiser, I can’t help but notice that it’s worth more than most small towns.

8th Hematite: Now everyone has a bed. The next step is to take care of those animals…

17th Hematite: Emerald was reelected as Captain of the Guard. I didn’t vote for him.

18th Hematite: I found three goblin thieves lodged in the traps. At least they work, but it’s quite worrying. Have to get the bits out before they rot this time.

21st Hematite: I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE ANIMALS! KILL THEM ALL AND LET ARMOK SORT THEM OUT!

28th Malachite: Emerald’s made a ban on the export of barrels. That’s… different.

12th Galena: Not much has happened since the 28th. The dungeon master finally has all the rooms he wanted, and cats are being killed. We almost have enough steel to start churning out trap weapons, and harvest it going smoothly. I also put a bridge in place of the doors in front of the trade depot to allow wagons to get into trade.

17th Galena: Not again. Another dwarf has lost it, and started grabbing things. He’s taken hold of a clothier’s shop. Thankfully, we have all the things he wants. Metal, rock blocks, cloth, hides and bones. Wait…. How do you use rock blocks to make clothes?

22nd Galena: The last stray was executed today. It’s much less crowded in the halls now, and we have a larger supply of bones now. Unfortunately, there are still forty or so pets that clog the fortress. Nothing I can do about them, though.

24th Galena: He started the project today. Two reams of cloth, a solid block of dolomite, cat leather, bones of hake, cat and cow, pig iron and iron. I shiver at the thought of this monstrosity.

27th Galena: Well, he finished it. A tunic, adorned with all those strange materials. It’s ugly, but valuable. The craftsman seems to have changed into a clothier overnight. I suppose that’s just how nature works.

1st Limestone: This season, I’m going to build this fort a proper break area.

9th Limestone: The dwarven caravan has arrived. Six merchants. A good haul, I must say.

13th Sandstone: The merchants have left, leaving all their goods behind, at taking a few articles of goblin clothing with them. Suckers.

23rd Timber: We’ve run out of fish.

12th Moonstone: Emerald has laid out a new demand. He wants a weapon rack in his room. And he wants it made of tin.

21st Moonstone: I caught a goblin in a cage. I just have to figure out what to do with it…. Bah, I’ll leave it up to my successor.

3rd Obsidian: Mistem Duthnuraban has drowned today while hunting. I was less than a month away from leaving this post without a death under my watch, and then this tragedy strikes. We have to get the body, but first I have to find which pond she fell into. She will be buried with the other fallen heroes of this town.

1st Granite: Well, it’s over. I managed to bury the hunter before I was done, so I have no regrets. The ‘hall of death’ has been improved, though not quite as well as some may have wanted, and we have a working rec area. And most importantly, the monetary worth of the fortress has doubled in this one year. So, my successor, I leave these three tasks to you. One, finish the hall. Two, find more work for the citizens of the town. Three, figure out something to do with the captured goblin, and any that follow.

Rapidshare of the fort. (http://rapidshare.com/files/87148514/region3.rar.html)

Penguinizer
2008-02-11, 02:33 PM
12th Slate: After my mainly un-eventful arrival, I set forth to expand the defenses of this fortress. I begun the construction of a massive defensive barrier, in addition to what seems to be a well trapped entrance corridor.
I also commissioned quality equipment for the new military. Looking at the fortress I came to a conclusion, we needed art, as such, I started the construction of several monuments to make the area more fit for living.
I only pray that I can finish the defensive barrier before we are attacked.

Adeptus
2008-02-16, 04:06 PM
Sounds like a nice succession game you guys got going. I look forward to reading more about it.

PS. Dwarf Fortress is spreading like an epidemic. A significant portion of my fellow Allegiance players have gotten the bug... as have I myself. :durkon:

Adeptus
2008-02-20, 02:16 AM
Has the game died off?

/edit Good to hear. I won't clutter the thread with more posts then. I'll just check here occasionally to see how you guys are doing.

/edit Looks like it has died off afterall. :( succession games depend on continuity. Several weeks between updates = death. Too bad.

Penguinizer
2008-02-20, 03:24 AM
No, I just haven't gotten around to continuing my turn. The thread is currently for in character posts so that might explain the sparsity of the posts.

On with more IC:

4th Felsite:

I have yet to see anything of note happen. There are concerns of a lack of cookable item, but it does not matter, for we still have more than enough food. The military is too busy caring for it's children (I'm still trying to figure out who recruited everyones wives). My monuments have had little progress, as has the defensive perimiter. I shall see that this fortress has it's moment of glory, for mother dorfland.

2nd Hematite:

This is a short entry, as earlier, small progress on construction orders, I have constructed an execution cell. A goblin, that seems to be imprisoned in there, will be the first to test it.

Inyssius Tor
2008-03-07, 04:44 PM
I probably won't be able to do my part for the Fortress, unless--by some unfortunate chance--it takes more than ten weeks to pass the leadership around to me.