PDA

View Full Version : A couple ToB things that fell out of my head

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-12-24, 02:58 AM
Frozen Zephyr/Caustic Tempest/Shocking Sky disciplines
Some masters of the Sublime Way find more power in the other places of the world in which the power of the Desert Wind discipline can be focused. These masters gain control over other elements other than fire. Unlike masters of other arts such as arcane magic, these martial masters cannot be as versatile in their types of elemental energy.
Class: Swordsage(or any other class that grants Desert Wind maneuvers)
Level: 1st (or whenever you first attain access to Desert Wind maneuvers)
Special Requirements: Must train under someone of a matching region to your replacement discipline.
Replaces: Access to the Desert Wind discipline.
Benefit: You gain access to one of the other three disciplines, Frozen Zephyr, Caustic Tempest or Shocking Sky. These disciplines are identical to that of the Desert Wind school, but instead do energy damage(cold, acid and electricity respectively) instead of fire. Likewise, maneuver names are replaced with an appropriate counterpart(such as icesnake instead of firesnake, or corrosive blade instead of burning blade).
Additionally, your use a new skill instead of Tumble for your new discipline, and gain that skill as a class skill if not already.
Frozen Zephyr: Balance
Caustic Tempest: Escape Artist
Shocking Sky: Intimidate

--
Crusader of Salamander[Racial]
You gain the burning hate of Salamanders flames.
Prerequisites: Sphoraxun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10723), must worship Salamander, Crusader or Warblade Level 1st.
Benefit: You gain access to the Desert Wind discipline from crusader or warblade levels that grant maneuvers and stances. Tumble becomes a class skill for you, if not already.

Warrior of Salamander[Racial]
Your zeal for Salamander cannot be quenched, and your fighting style shows it.
Prerequisites: Sphoraxun (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10723), must worship Salamander, Swordsage or Warblade level 1st.
Benefit: You gain access to the Devoted Spirit disciple from swordsage or warblade levels that grant maneuvers. Intimidate becomes a class skill for you, if not already.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-05, 03:22 PM
I just realized this never got any comments.:smallfrown:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-01-05, 03:27 PM
Desert Wind was the one discipline that bugged me; and I always questioned why WoTC did not errata it or web enhance it to include the other energy types. This seems well balanced, thank you. :smallsmile:

Stycotl
2008-01-05, 03:29 PM
not that bad, krimm. they're pretty straight forward. the feats are interesting. pretty much it's just a name-change for the desert wind, and then two feats that give access to the character in a class normally unallowed that discipline. i think that rates a feat.

Icewalker
2008-01-05, 03:36 PM
Looks good. I like the new names as well.

Duke Malagigi
2008-01-05, 04:13 PM
I have just one question Krimm. Where would you learn Acid Fog or Shocking Sky?

Stycotl
2008-01-05, 06:19 PM
acid fog: secluded human adepts living in the lowland marshes of a subtropical continent. rumored that they consider themselves descendants of the great wyrm green dragon that lives under the black swamp.

shocking sky: a monestary of genasi and high elves that lives in the highest peaks of an island floating in the elemental plane of air.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-07, 05:43 AM
acid fog: secluded human adepts living in the lowland marshes of a subtropical continent. rumored that they consider themselves descendants of the great wyrm green dragon that lives under the black swamp.

shocking sky: a monestary of genasi and high elves that lives in the highest peaks of an island floating in the elemental plane of air.

I was thinking something along those lines, yeah.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-07, 05:50 AM
On Acid Fog: Might I suggest something that makes a wee bit more sense?

"I'm a master of the Acidic Fog style!"
".. *Snnrk* Pull the other one now."
"But I am!"
"Alright then. *Whispers to his comrade* Go on, shoot 'im."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-07, 06:23 AM
On Acid Fog: Might I suggest something that makes a wee bit more sense?

"I'm a master of the Acidic Fog style!"
".. *Snnrk* Pull the other one now."
"But I am!"
"Alright then. *Whispers to his comrade* Go on, shoot 'im."

To tell you the truth I spent hours and hours thinking about that one alone and couldn't come up with anything better.:smallfrown:

JaronK
2008-01-07, 06:28 AM
Possible acid style name replacements:

Searing Blade
Serpent's Bite
Venomous Way
Snake Style
Envenomed Slayer

Though the bigger issue is what some of those manuevers would look like. At least a few of them would have the adept running along with a huge cloud of noxious gas behind him,and you have to wonder where that comes from...

JaronK

The Demented One
2008-01-07, 07:30 AM
Perhaps Rain of Vitriol?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-07, 08:03 AM
Perhaps Rain of Vitriol?

D1! You're back! :smallsmile:

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-07, 08:58 AM
There always Noxious Fumes. :smalltongue:

How about Corrosive Tempest?

Duke Malagigi
2008-01-07, 03:28 PM
I was thinking something along those lines, yeah.

You could also find training for Acid Fog style in cities like Los Angeles or Industrial Revolution to modern day London. Acid Fog could easily be seen as a pollution based discipline.:smallbiggrin:

Reptilius
2008-01-07, 04:14 PM
Possible acid style name replacements:

Searing Blade
Serpent's Bite
Venomous Way
Snake Style
Envenomed Slayer

JaronK

Caustic Disciple?
Ruinous Blades?

You could also find training for Acid Fog style in cities like Los Angeles or Industrial Revolution to modern day London. Acid Fog could easily be seen as a pollution based discipline.

This gives me an idea for a city druid...not a blighter-type one, but one that consumes the pollution around them to fuel their magic.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-07, 04:17 PM
What about Caustic Tempest?

JaronK
2008-01-07, 04:39 PM
Or you could keep the wind theme, since they're all of Desert Wind.

Caustic Wind, Thunderous Wind, Shocking Wind, and Arctic Wind would make good names.

Or perhaps another feat, based on your idea:

Elemental Warrior
Prerequisites: Three Desert Wind Manuevers, BAB +5
When you select this feat, choose an energy type (Acid, Cold, or Electricity). Any time you prepare a Desert Wind maneuver, you may chose to have any fire damage the maneuver would have dealt be instead the type you chose for this feat. This manuever now does that kind of damage until you release the manuever and reprepare it.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time, you must chose a new energy type.

JaronK

Duke Malagigi
2008-01-07, 04:58 PM
What about Caustic Tempest?

I like Acid Fog better. Makes it the kind of thing you would learn in the big city along with Shadow Hand.

Reptilius
2008-01-07, 06:29 PM
I like Acid Fog better. Makes it the kind of thing you would learn in the big city along with Shadow Hand.

Then how about Choking Smog? Acid Fog sounds somewhat mundane. Then again, where would this smog come from? Medieval cities were unhygienic, and could be smoky, but smog seems very industrial. Maybe in one of those huge, semi-anachronistic metropolises, anyway.

Duke Malagigi
2008-01-07, 07:05 PM
Then how about Choking Smog? Acid Fog sounds somewhat mundane. Then again, where would this smog come from? Medieval cities were unhygienic, and could be smoky, but smog seems very industrial. Maybe in one of those huge, semi-anachronistic metropolises, anyway.

Okay then, Choking Smog sounds good. Hey Krimm, we have a new martial discipline for you to add!

Stycotl
2008-01-07, 08:32 PM
i like something more melee-sounding, like corrosive grasp or caustic wrath or something similar.

reptilius, your idea for a smog-killing druid was pretty cool. are you thinking base class or prc? you should put that up on the boards when you flesh it out.

Vadin
2008-01-07, 08:35 PM
Why not Caustic Blade?

Stycotl
2008-01-07, 08:47 PM
caustic blade sounds good to me.

or maybe, mordant touch.

or acerbic fang.

or (insert proper acid synonym)+(insert proper combat-oriented action).