PDA

View Full Version : [Base Class] True Wizard

Lochar
2007-12-24, 10:26 AM
First time making a class, so don't shoot me too badly, please. :smallsmile:

Also, this class is built with the idea that any games I run will be banning Epic Spellcasting.

True Wizard

HD: d4

Skills: 2+int modifier, same skill set as standard Wizard.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Max Spell Level|Ability
1|0|0|0|2|1|Book Learned, Summon Familiar
2|1|0|0|3|1|
3|1|1|1|3|2|
4|2|1|1|4|2|
5|2|1|1|4|3|Magic is my Life
6|3|2|2|5|3|
7|3|2|2|5|4|
8|4|2|2|6|4|
9|4|3|3|6|5|
10|5|3|3|7|5|Magic is my Strength
11|5|3|3|7|6|
12|6/1|4|4|8|6|
13|6/1|4|4|8|7|
14|7/2|4|4|9|7|
15|7/2|5|5|9|8|Magic is my Body
16|8/3|5|5|10|8|
17|8/3|5|5|10|9|
18|9/4|6|6|11|9|
19|9/4|6|6|11|9|
20|10/5|6|6|12|9|Magic is my Soul
[/table]

Spells: True Wizards are not held back as lesser wizards. They do not gain a set number of spells slots in which to fill. Instead, they gain a number of spell levels able to be cast per day equal to their intelligence modifier (without temporary ability enhancements such as Fox's Cunning or items that give bonuses to intelligence) times their max spell modifier. A first level True Wizard with a +4 intelligence modifier would get (4(int mod) times 1(max spell level)) or 4 spell levels to cast from. Zero levels spell may be cast a number of times per day equal to the True Wizards intelligence Modifier, thereafter they cost 1/2 a spell level. Save DCs are calculated with full intelligence bonus as normal.

True Wizards start with a tome filled with all zero level spells, plus three first level spells, and one first level spell extra per point of intelligence modifier.

True Wizards gain two spells per level for free, of up to their highest known spell level. New spells may be scribed into their tome from other True Wizard tomes or arcane scrolls with a DC check of 15 plus the spell level. Regular Wizard's spellbooks are entirely too flawed to make correct spells for a True Wizard and thus cannot be copied from.

Book Learned: A True Wizard has a tome or tomes of spells. He intimately knows every spell in these books, and may cast any of them. He does not prepare spells, but must have personally scribed the spell into his own tome. Metamagic is required to be written into any tome that the True Wizard wishes to use the spell with. Metamagic takes a number of pages in a tome equal to the spell level it would modify. IE: Quicken spell would take four pages in a Tome. A True Wizard may cast any spell from his book modified by the metamagic feat as normal, but must use a number of spell levels equal to the modified spell.

A captured True Wizard's tome can be added to the True Wizard's tomes. It takes one month per the maximum spell level in the tome to attune the book to themself. Afterwhich, a True Wizard must make a Spellcraft check of DC 20 + 2x the highest spell level to attune themselves to it.

A captured standard Wizard's spellbook can be converted into a True Wizard's Tome, but takes one day per page in the spellbook to correct the imperfections of the spells that cause them to be forgotten after casting.

Summon Familiar: A True Wizard may summon a familiar as a standard Wizard.

Magic is my Life(ex): A True Wizard may cast spells modified by metamagic of a higher level than his max level. For each level it goes above his maximum level, he takes an increasing amount of damage to his hitpoint total. He still must use a number of spell levels equal to the total modified spell level. This ability ignores all damage reduction and is untyped damage. It ignores temporary hitpoints, but not hitpoints created by an increased Constitution score.

{table=head]Number of levels over|Damage Taken
1|1d6
2|3d6
3|6d6
4|10d6
5|15d6
6|21d6
7|28d6
8|36d6
9|45d6
[/table]

This table can go on indefinately, by adding the number of levels over to the damage taken.

Magic is my strength (ex): A True Wizard can sap the very strength from his body when necessary, draining physical strength for magical strength. For each point of Strength damage a wizard inflicts on himself, he may regenerate a number of spell levels equal to one quarter his class level. This damage is considered Ability Burn, and therefore is not subject to any magical healing. All damage inflicted must be healed naturally. This ability damages the True Wizard's personal ability scores, and is not affected by spells that temporarily add to the True Wizard's ability scores such as Bull's Strength and the polymorph line of spells.

Magic is my body(ex): When strength fails, the body is still active. A True Wizard may fuel his mind from his body, casting spells with his physical health. For each point of Con damage he takes, a True Wizard gains a number of spell levels equal to half his class level. These spell levels must be used within a number of rounds equal to the True Wizards intelligence modifier. This damage is considered Ability Burn, and therefore is not subject to any magical healing. All damage inflicted must be healed naturally. This ability damages the True Wizard's personal ability scores, and is not affected by spells that temporarily add to the True Wizard's ability scores such as Bear's Endurance and the polymorph line of spells.

Magic is my soul(ex): A True Wizard of this level learns of magic's secrets. The True Wizard learns that the physical is fleeting, magic is the only true strength they require. Magic is my life now ignores the first level of overage on spell modification. Magic is my strength now grants spell levels equal to one half his class level and Magic is my body now grants spell levels equal to his class level. Furthermore, the True Wizard may redirect the ability score damage from Magic is my strength to any of his three physical ability scores, including splitting the damage out to all three if he wishes. The rules for this ability damage do not change.

Balkash
2007-12-24, 10:37 AM
sounds like a really good idea. i like how it is powerful, but since you have banned epic spellcasting, it isn't too powerful. i'm not sure if you need to. but you might want to say that true wizards get a number of spell levels per day equal to their intelligence modifier, ignoring ability boost such as fox's cunning, time their max spell level thing. I just figured you took the "doesnt include magical boosts" for the magic is my strength and body and such, so maybe you might want it for the spell levels. I really like the whole spell level idea, very interesting.

Archangel Yuki
2007-12-24, 10:42 AM
Interesting... Would you mind if I playtested this? I really love the idea.

Lochar
2007-12-24, 10:44 AM
Go right ahead and playtest it. :)

And Balkash, I updated that line, thanks.

PirateMonk
2007-12-24, 11:17 AM
8 for Magic is my Life should read 36d6, I think. Otherwise, nice class.

Lochar
2007-12-24, 11:19 AM
Thanks. Fixed that line. You notice I just rolled right through and did the 9 line correctly.

Arakune
2007-12-24, 11:29 AM
You know, this is how DnD normal wizard wanted to be but instead become a narcoleptic wizard. :smallamused:

Lochar
2007-12-24, 11:30 AM
Which is basically why I made him. You don't memorize spells of world shaping power in the morning, and by evening forget everything but the name of the spell.

Instead, you still know the spell, it's just a question of how badly do you want to be able to cast it.

Arakune
2007-12-24, 11:32 AM
The most I can imagine of preparing a spell by the morning is to prepare the material components to be properly used. That thing demands some time and you can use spell X only a limited amount of time. But that's not how DnD material components mechanics works... :smallsigh:

Lochar
2007-12-25, 12:05 PM
So this is basically a perfect class? :smalltongue:

Or does no one care about me? :smallannoyed:

Valairn
2007-12-25, 01:39 PM
After a cursory view, I read everything but didn't crunch any numbers. It seems solid. In fact this is better than the core wizard. Or at least I like the mechanic better, but that's cause i hate vancian spellcasting in every way imaginable.

Lochar
2007-12-25, 02:57 PM
Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

JackMage666
2007-12-25, 05:41 PM
I dunno.. The sheer number of 7th to 9th level spells they can get a day at high levels looks to be kinda staggering. What more, every 2 points of Intelligence equals one top level spell. While this is occasionally true with Bonus Spells as is, it's not always the case. For example, a 20th level caster with only 20 Intelligence (Hypothetical, I realize that would be a pretty poorly optimized Wizard) would only get Bonus Spells up to 5th level. However, the True Wizard would get an extra 9th level spell. Given, the first example gets more spell levels, but they're considerably weaker spells.

Can the Str/Con damage taken through abilities be healed naturally (one point a day per ability)? If so, that's an additional top notch spell a day, and you'll be fine the next day (provided you use both abilities), or several more (Up to 30 spell levels, or 3 9th level spells +some lower level) if you're 20th level.

I'm not saying it's broken, as I haven't fully crunched the numbers, but being able to go Nova and nuke out 9th level spells might be a balance issue.

Say, 36 Intelligence for a 20th level wizard - that's 117 spell levels, or 13 9th level spells... That seems kinda problematic, compared to the normal wizards only 6 (4+1 bonus spell+1 for specialization). I guess you'll probably get less spell levels, but wizards who can toss out 9th level spells like candy don't really use 3rd level spells all that much.

Like I said, I'm not saying it's broken, but from a glance it looks problematic.

Also, as another question, how do you handle specialization with this?

Oh, and GREAT choice on banning Epic Spellcasting. Spellcasting is already powerful enough as is.

Squidmaster
2007-12-25, 05:43 PM
It looks really cool. I assume he casts normal wizard/sorcerer spells?

Jack_Simth
2007-12-25, 06:08 PM
You get all the long-term flexibility of the Wizard (no limits on spells known) combined with all the short-term flexibility of the Sorcerer (spontaneous casting), base the spellcasting on the more mechanically useful stat (intelligence), and the ability to cast the entire allotment as the highest level spells?

This class is rather broken, I'm afraid.

Lochar
2007-12-25, 10:44 PM
Ability damage only heals at half the normal rate. I may have to change it to state magical healing is required to heal the damage, not just half healing at the normal per day.

Hmm, how about for each one point of ability damage per two spell levels magic is my strength regenerates. Magic is my body would be a one for one.

Magic is my soul would have to change to something else though, but would that solve part of the problem?

Vadin
2007-12-25, 11:03 PM
Similar to the Psion this is, but without a set of 'spells' (powers) that cost different amounts for balance purposes. Thats...really all I can add, unfortunately.

Arbitrarity
2007-12-25, 11:50 PM
Just make the "magic is my X" ability burn, maybe fixable with greater restoration. As it is, wand of Lesser restoration FTW, and infinite spellcasting.

Sir_Chivalry
2007-12-26, 12:06 AM
Broken as it might be...

This is the spirit of the arcane spellcaster. It's about killing yourself for the POWER. The power is all that matters.

I love it

Fusecase
2007-12-26, 12:32 PM
I like it, but what about the save DC's. I would say add a line that says they are based on charisma and I think it would be ok to play.

But this is from a quick glance, so I may be wrong.

Lochar
2007-12-27, 12:21 AM
I'm not saying it's broken, as I haven't fully crunched the numbers, but being able to go Nova and nuke out 9th level spells might be a balance issue.

Say, 36 Intelligence for a 20th level wizard - that's 117 spell levels, or 13 9th level spells... That seems kinda problematic, compared to the normal wizards only 6 (4+1 bonus spell+1 for specialization). I guess you'll probably get less spell levels, but wizards who can toss out 9th level spells like candy don't really use 3rd level spells all that much.

Like I said, I'm not saying it's broken, but from a glance it looks problematic.

Also, as another question, how do you handle specialization with this?

Updated. Spell levels only come from innate intelligence now, not any items. Save DCs are still calculated with full int modifier.

So a 20 int start, 5 from levels, 5 from tome/wishes for a total of 30 int. that's a mod of 10, times 9th level is 90 spell levels. Granted, you could use 10 ninth levels spells, but not everyone min/maxes like that.

Especially with now having lower str and con to eat if you want to cast more.

As for specialization, I wouldn't. If you wanted to specialize, you would just focus on those spells.

Also, going to update the ability damage to be ability burn as suggested to where no magical healing helps.