PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph and...

Stam
2007-12-24, 10:27 AM
...a high-Dex combative morph to go with it?

I have an 8th-level sorceress who will be taking polymorph as her first 4th-level spell known. Not so much for use on herself, but rather to be able to use it on other party members, specifically the meat-shields who always seem to be overshadowed by the Batmans and CoDzillas of the world.
Plus, the idea of turning the entire party into a troupe of wyverns or cloakers is just too juicy a usage of the spell for me to pass up.

To keep polymorph abuse from becoming rampant, the number of forms one can assume is limited to 1 per Caster Level, and those forms must be drawn from the original Monster Manual only.

We are not using the PHB2 Polymorph subschool rules (or that book in its entirely, actually).

So, I have eight forms to play with.

I'd like a little advice on how to optimize these forms for most situations. I have a list that I've already chosen; the top two I'd like to keep pretty much regardless of suggestions due to pure character fluff, but the rest are open to change:

Cloaker (because of the Cha-based Moan effects - this will be her personal form)
Pegasus (for fluff, plus the ridability option)
Bronze Dragon Wyrmling (get me the heck OUTTA here!)
Choker (Small-sized tank with reach)
Troll (brutality)
Wyvern (fatality)
6-headed Hydra (crowd control)
Rust Monster (non-standard method of stopping fights)

Note, the party level in this place is sorta wicky, which is why I'm loading up on lots of 6-HD things rather than maxing them out. Party members she'd be playing with will not always be of her level (8th) and may range somewhere between 5th and 10th at times.

Anyway, that list has lots of sheer brutality built into it...but not much in the way of a real Dex-based combat-wombat for the Rogue-type or Finesse-type. Any suggestions?

Iku Rex
2007-12-24, 10:42 AM
Pixie? (Sprite)

The Mormegil
2007-12-24, 10:54 AM
No PHBII means archetypes allowed? REALLY???? If so, take them. Absolutely. Half dragon fighter FTW, plus you benefit too... Oh, and for rougue-like types, not much to do with MMI, but check out the Mimic... shapechanging ability should be an Ex quality (which you should get from Polymorph, or I'm totally wrong and it was Ex attacks?).

Toliudar
2007-12-24, 11:27 AM
For versatility, you may wish to include something like an ordinary bat. Blindsense. Diminuitive, so fits through small places and has a good hide bonus. Decent if fragile scouting, and relatively ubiquitous - bats are found in lots of buildings as well as outside and underground.

I'm not sure how often the choker shape would get used - if you really need a small-sized creature able to deal with close combat, you've already got the bronze dragon (great choice, BTW!).

I'd strongly recommend a shape that allows the other PC to retain all of their gear - a medium-sized humanoid shape, probably. Maybe high natural armour for the casters who think they might get melee'd - Troglodyte is often good for this. Also works as a disguise effective against everything short of True Seeing, but still allows them to move through (slightly) civilized society.

Stam
2007-12-24, 11:49 AM
Polymorph doesn't do templates...

Nor does it grant Special Qualities. Only Special Attacks...

And, unfortunately, unlike Alter Self, Polymorph replaces the target's physical stats entirely with those of the chosen form. Which means that if you use it to turn someone into a troglodyte, they'd end up with Str10/Dex9/Con14. Pretty useless for a battleform.

The Choker was chosen because, for its size, it packs a nasty punch and has 10' Reach as well as semi-decent physical stats (Str16/Dex14/Con16). The Small Bronze Wyrmling has much more inferior stats (Str13/Dex10/Con13) and is on that list primarily for use as a 140'-fly-speed escape route.

Iku Rex
2007-12-24, 11:55 AM
If you want a Medium (keep gear) combat form, the green hag (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hag.htm#greenHag) is your best bet. Decent Str and +11 natural armor. 9 HD though.

(The 7 HD annis hag is the best melee form until stone giant becomes available.)

Edit: BTW, fly speed maxes out at 120' with alter self/polymorph.

Stam
2007-12-24, 12:12 PM
Hmm...by association, you just found me a decent aquatic form! Sea hag. :smallcool:

But my sorceress may never really want to take (or use) that one. Bleah. :smallfrown:

Edit: You're right, shaving 20' off my flight speed. :smallsmile:

Toliudar
2007-12-24, 12:24 PM
I'd never noticed the choker's reach before. Fascinating. Thank you!

I had thought that you'd gotten Bronze in part to BE your aquatic form, in addition to being an aerial escape route. A 60' swim speed and breathing water is usually enough to deal with most underwater situations.

Stam
2007-12-24, 12:31 PM
I'd definitely not neglected that reach. Chokers are fun from the DM's side, especially since their victims can't even holler for help! :smallamused:

I sort of had taken the dragon species because of the Water subtype and its swim speed. :smallsmile: But an aquatic form that does well for a sorceress isn't necessarily going to do a good job for the meatshield she wants to be able to drop this on! :smallwink:

I might take the aquatic version of the gargoyle for the swimming form. Decent stats plus they keep their own armor and equipment.

Toliudar
2007-12-24, 12:48 PM
Will you be able to swap out shapes as you level up? Because otherwise, this list could become increasingly difficult to make work for you.

Thought about a burrowing form? I don't have books nearby, but I think the Umber Hulk is 8 hit dice. The Ankheg doesn't suck too much.

Stam
2007-12-24, 12:52 PM
Yes, I can swap out shapes as I level up.

Stam
2007-12-24, 04:59 PM
*bump* :smalltongue: