PDA

View Full Version : Hex or Square

StickMan
2007-12-24, 10:29 AM
So I've been looking at using a Hex grid for my real life games and am trying to deiced if its advantageous to do so? Any past experience or stories will be great.

mandatory Oots reference. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0175.html)

Mr.Bookworm
2007-12-24, 10:36 AM
Squares are much easier to model, plus they have simplicity on the side. 5 by 5 feet/10 by 10 feet, or whatever number you want to use.

Hexes, however, are a bit more realistic, and allow for more freedom of movement. They're much more complicated, but a little more realistic.

I prefer squares, generally. Plus, that's what Wizards uses, and it takes a little while to convert everything.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-24, 10:40 AM
I prefer squares as thier easier.

Balkash
2007-12-24, 10:41 AM
Agreed. Hexes, if you can make everything else use them and understand how to use them, probably make it more realistic. The problem is the same thing with Gestalt, if i want to use hexes, i have to redo all my old maps, as well as modify any published adventures, just like if i want to gestalt, i have to redo all my old NPC's and modify the published adventures.

Matthew
2007-12-24, 10:42 AM
I like Hexes a lot more than Squares. Unfortunately, they're a pain to use for maps. Consequently, I don't bother with either for mapping if I can help it... however, my current compromise is to use Squares within Dungeons and Hexes in the Wilderness.

de-trick
2007-12-24, 11:43 AM
I use squares, easyer to get a hold of in my town.

TheDarkOne
2007-12-24, 12:55 PM
Go for a ruler and maybe some string! Throw off the shackles of discretized battle maps. Or just use squares 'cause they're quick and standard.