PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing questions.

dentrag2
2007-12-24, 10:33 AM
I have a question. i was playing NWN2 yesterday because no one could play DND, and i was wondering. What are peoples favorite multiclasses above 2 classes? im currently playing a Monk/druid/wizard/cleric, with the water and good domains. so does anyone have a formulae for a Nigh invincible multiclassed character? and how does the monk/druid/wizard/cleric sound?

The Mormegil
2007-12-24, 10:40 AM
Bad, to tell you the truth. Anyway, I personally like my paladin / bard / sorcerer, for once. But I always wanted to play an archivist / wizard / warblade once... Thought it will only be possible in gestalt...

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-24, 10:42 AM
Palladin/bard?

I like my rogue/beguiler/wizard

dentrag2
2007-12-24, 10:42 AM
hmm. but to be honest, i selected this because i wanted EVERY spell (Except for bard spells) in the book. and the monk, who goes along well with every1 else (Druids cant use metal, clerics cant use pointy things, wizards have arcane spell failure) in theory it would make sense. but any suggestions? besides, its less restrictive than paladins.

dentrag2
2007-12-24, 10:43 AM
Bad, to tell you the truth. Anyway, I personally like my paladin / bard / sorcerer, for once. But I always wanted to play an archivist / wizard / warblade once... Thought it will only be possible in gestalt...

WAIT, YOU CANT LEGALLY PLAY A BARD! BARDS CANT BE LAWFUL!
So therefore, your char is illegal because you cant be lawful, and paladins must be lawful good.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-12-24, 11:16 AM
WAIT, YOU CANT LEGALLY PLAY A BARD! BARDS CANT BE LAWFUL!
So therefore, your char is illegal because you cant be lawful, and paladins must be lawful good.

There is a feat called devoted performer that fixes this, it also helps with stacking bard and paladin levels for certain class features.

Toulash
2007-12-24, 11:22 AM
You can play a bard, quit and become a paladin and keep your bard abilities at the level you quit without a feat as well.

That is what I did.

cupkeyk
2007-12-24, 12:36 PM
Nothing about the cleric says it can't use pointy things.

Kaelik
2007-12-24, 01:48 PM
hmm. but to be honest, i selected this because i wanted EVERY spell (Except for bard spells) in the book. and the monk, who goes along well with every1 else (Druids cant use metal, clerics cant use pointy things, wizards have arcane spell failure) in theory it would make sense. but any suggestions? besides, its less restrictive than paladins.

The problem is that if you only take 2 Monk levels, and you get to level 20, you'll only have 6 levels in each class, which means 3rd level spells. Which means you'll be missing 2/3rds of the games spells. The same as if you single classed in one spellcasting class.

The difference is that this way you are missing the best 2/3rds. Multiclassing three casters doesn't work. Welcome to D&D.

Kaelik
2007-12-24, 01:49 PM
Nothing about the cleric says it can't use pointy things.

I think he's only played second edition. That's the only reason he could think that much caster multiclassing would give him more spells. Or that Clerics can't use the pointy things.

dentrag2
2007-12-24, 04:44 PM
The problem is that if you only take 2 Monk levels, and you get to level 20, you'll only have 6 levels in each class, which means 3rd level spells. Which means you'll be missing 2/3rds of the games spells. The same as if you single classed in one spellcasting class.

The difference is that this way you are missing the best 2/3rds. Multiclassing three casters doesn't work. Welcome to D&D.

ive actually played all of the editions. Ive been playing dnd for 10 years.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-24, 04:50 PM
And 3.5 for 10 mins, I take? In 3.5, there's a golden rule, and it is "Thou shalt not lose spellcaster levels in a class that casts spells". That multiclass eats brutal XP penalties, and isn't powerful at all.

Kaelik
2007-12-24, 11:59 PM
ive actually played all of the editions. Ive been playing dnd for 10 years.

I meant to go back and edit it to say, "Welcome to 3rd edition." when I realized.

1) Multiclassing multiple classes takes huge XP penalties in many cases.
2) Multiclassing gives you just as many levels, divided evenly across all classes. So instead of one or two levels behind like in Second, you are instead at 1/4th the level of a pure spellcaster. This leads me to think you are trying to play as if 2nd edition, since in 3rd your character will just die horribly without contributing.
3) Dropping Monk (since if you don't you choose between losing Caster levels like crazy to a worthless class for no gain, or huge XP penalties.) If you go Druid 6/Wizard 6/Cleric 6 (alternating which class you take.) Then you wasted between 3 and 6 levels. Look in the DMG at Mystic Theurge. Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Druid 6/Mystic Theurge 6 is going to give you much better spellcasting, including 4th, 5th, and 6th level spells sometime before epic. You need Druid as a favorite class though. And of course you still suck.

If you want to multi-class casters, Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Either one 4 is much much better then your build. Of course, it's still weaker at every level then Wizard 20 or Cleric 20. You should read up on the way leveling works in 3rd edition.

If you really aren't new to 3rd edition. Well then I pity you.