PDA

View Full Version : Asterix: Getafix's magic potion

SolkaTruesilver
2007-12-24, 11:32 AM
I was wondering, what would be the in-D&D3.5's effect of Getafix's Magic Potion, seen in the Adventures of Asterix?

knightsaline
2007-12-25, 08:50 PM
Potion of bulls strength.

Merlon
2007-12-26, 02:40 PM
Potion of bulls strength.

You never saw the comic, did you?

I loved it in my younger day's

The single gulp of that potion gave you:

INSANE strenght - Lifting pyramid blocks easily with one hand? No problem

VERY fast and with GOOD traction- Asterix ran like superbike on the desert of egypt, but he never lost contact with ground. Even when running over the dunes. Never fell either. And took 90 degree turns without drifting. In sand

Tireless - No need to explain

Safety-Gear - You were not invulnerable (somebody still could cut you, if he/she got close enough), but you could ran through stone wall without getting a scratch on you. Same applied for hitting things. Striking through stone wall will get your knuckles a little dust on them.

No side or ending-effects - No fatique, no headache, no physical addiction.

But the focus was mainly about the extra strenght. And i cannot remember anything, that gives you that kind of STR bonus in ADD.

Edit:
Just remembered, the effects were based of quantity. A drop or two would probably give just a little +5 on STR and 30-40 feet extra on your movement rate. Never saw anybody drinking a pint of it. Dont know what it does to you then.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-26, 04:24 PM
Potion of Righteous Might, without the actual size increase, nor the reach, but all other bonuses, including Str and increased weapon damage from "growth" even if there had no actual growth.

Edit:

Just remembered, the effects were based of quantity. A drop or two would probably give just a little +5 on STR and 30-40 feet extra on your movement rate. Never saw anybody drinking a pint of it. Dont know what it does to you then.
According to one story that was released:

Whoever drinks too much, turns into stone. I think you can find some info on Wikipedia, since I don't have that story with me.

Merlon
2007-12-27, 09:35 AM
Righteous Might is .... well .... really watered-down version of it. But its warmer than Bull's Strenght :smallsmile:

Telonius
2007-12-27, 09:39 AM
Tireless, strong, DR .... I'm thinking the mechanical effects of being changed into a Warforged Barbarian, but without the shiny metal stuff.

Ne0
2007-12-27, 09:49 AM
Technically, the potion made you 'invincible'. So it's hard to determine a rule for it. I would definately be something epic, I believe.

...Wait, Getafix was an epic druid? And he never transformed into an elemental? :smallbiggrin:

Heliomance
2007-12-27, 11:21 AM
According to one story that was released:

Whoever drinks too much, turns into stone. I think you can find some info on Wikipedia, since I don't have that story with me.

I find that hard to believe - Obelix is under the effects permanently due to drinking an entire cauldron of the stuff as a baby. I don't think effects have anything to do with quantity, but duration does.

SoD
2007-12-27, 12:00 PM
True, however, Heliomance, Obelix is actually the person in question...

Partysan
2007-12-27, 01:29 PM
It's right, Obelix does indeed drink a barrel of potion in one story and turns to stone, later in the same story the same happens to an evil roman Centurio.
I do only know the german title, unfortunately.
Another evidence for quantity effects is in Asterix and Cleopatra, where Obelix just gets 3 drops of potion.

Roderick_BR
2007-12-27, 02:45 PM
I find that hard to believe - Obelix is under the effects permanently due to drinking an entire cauldron of the stuff as a baby. I don't think effects have anything to do with quantity, but duration does.
That story shows what happens when Obelix gets more than a few drops. I'm still trying to find the comic in print.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_and_Obelix_All_at_Sea this wiki entry has a review on said comic.

Let's see, a +12 bonus to strength (4 enhancement, and 8 from "growth"), +4 to constitution (also from "growth), DR 5/-, natural armor bonus +4, can use weapons one size category bigger (Obelix likes to throw huge rocks sometimes. "kaboing! kaboing!"), and unarmed damage also increases one size category. Ah, they probably gain the improved unarmed strike feat if they already don't have it while the potion last.
You could add a "flurry" like ability (they tend to smack around more than one person at once sometimes) and a 30 ft enhancement bonus to speed.

Remember that they often fight normal soldiers, 1 level warriors.

Behold_the_Void
2007-12-27, 03:58 PM
The strength bonus needs to give them appropriate carrying capacity to lift what they commonly lift with ease. Fortunately, with the tables that I'm too lazy to look up, we can calculate that rather precisely.

Asterix states once when Obelix proposes rushing a large group of Romans that the potion doesn't make them invulnerable, only strong, and that the well-armed Romans would cut them to pieces. No DR bonus. Definitely an increase in land speed. Possibly a boost to constitution as well, it would be fair to say they're tougher than they normally are.

I don't think bonus feats is the way to go, we can assume most of the Gauls already HAVE those feats, which is why they fight like that when they have the potion in them.

Make them immune to fatigue for the duration of the potion and increase base land speed and you should be good to go.

osyluth
2007-12-27, 05:01 PM
Yay! Asterix! :biggrin:

SolkaTruesilver
2007-12-30, 12:48 AM
The thing about "turning into stone" is, (I extrapolate):

- something that happens if you are already under the effect of the potion
- happens when, while under the effect, you drink more than 3-4 doses of it.

What would be the duration of the potion? somebody remembers a timeframe? (shortest to longest seen on screen - obelix excluded -)

Debihuman
2008-01-06, 07:23 PM
While I've never tried to create my own potion, I found this on the web:

http://www.asterix.co.nz/review/magicpotions/index.html. According to that sight the ingredients of the Magic Potion include the following:

Mistletoe: Mistletoe is the vital ingredient of the potion. It is a fungus that grows on Oak trees, it is said to have magical properties. It can only be cut by a golden sickle.
Roots: Doesn't say what kind of roots.
Lucky Plants: Such as a four leaf clover.
Fish: Can only be fresh fish (i.e. not Unhygenix's)
Black Gold (Petroleum): Only a few drops are needed. Getafix originally imported this from Ekonomikrisis until he forgot to bring some. After a series of tests, Getafix discovered Beetroot Juice could be used instead.
Carrots: Self explanatory
Salt: Just a pinch will do.
Honey and Mead:These are ingredients according to the movie Asterix In Britain.

Debby

Studoku
2008-01-06, 07:31 PM
I remember a story that mentioned lobster and strawberries, although they just added to the flavour.