PDA

View Full Version : Spell preparation

Ichneumon
2007-12-24, 02:50 PM
Hi, I am soon to play a 1st level arcane caster (wizard or 3.0 Wu Jen) and was wondering if any of you have any tips for what spells to prepare if you have no clue of what you will encounter. This is the first time I actually going to play a non-spontanious arcane caster (one of my best characters ever was a gnome bard/shadowcaster, second comes an elf sorcerer), so I have absolutely no experience in how to prepare spells.

Our DM has a wide range of adventure types, not just focussing on one type: sometimes more puzzles, sometimes entirely water-based, sometimes only hack and slash, so I can't expect a certain type of game.

Any advice?

bugsysservant
2007-12-24, 03:04 PM
Read this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18500). It's not perfect, but its still an excellent guide to playing a powerful wizard.

At low levels, grease, sleep (and/or color spray) mage armor and shield are probably your best all around spells in core. Enlarge person is also very nice if you have some capable of a bit of decent melee. And you can't beat charm person for social situations.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-12-24, 05:53 PM
All I can say is look over the Batman article that bugsy linked to there - it's great advice. Anything I can say is probably in there already.

Prestidigitation is lovely for all purpose utility - if you look over the description, it can do lots of functional things.
Detect Magic is a handy way to tell if things are spoookier than they seem. You should be able to keep it going for a long while if your character's concentration isn't broken.
Take Mage Armour - for yourself or your fighter.
Steer clear of direct damage spells - that's what your party fighter is for.

Chronicled
2007-12-24, 05:58 PM
It can prove handy to keep a slot or two open, so that with 15 minutes you can get the spell needed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#preparingWizardSpells). This option gets better as you gain levels and can afford to keep several slots open; and works better for utility spells (or with a smart party that can get you the 15 minutes).

Wordmiser
2007-12-24, 06:30 PM
For a Wizard, I would use a Sleep/Color Spray, a couple Dazes, a Mage Hand and an Enlarge Person (and whatever Specialization spells strike your fancy) for first level, but just generally try to stay out of the way and go for some crossbow plink-age. Your armor class is hopeless at this point if you want spell slots to spare for Wizard-y things.

After your first adventure, Scribe a few scrolls of Mage Armor (eight hours, 1 XP, and 12.5 gold apiece). Prepare at least one Shield spell each day to supplement the scrolls. That will cover your basic low-level defenses.

Ichneumon
2007-12-25, 03:08 AM
Thank you all, alright, this is my choice. I am a gnome wizard with 18 (+4) intelligence

These are my spells:

Spellbook:
All 0-level spells
Level 1:
Unseen Servant
Charm Person
Magic Missile
Disguise Self
Silent Image
Sleep
Mage Armor

And these are my normal spells prepared, if I know nothing about the situation:

Gnome spells (not preparing, but just being able to cast): dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation.
Level 0 spells: Detect Magic, Mage hand, Ray of Frost,
Level 1 spells: Silent Image, Sleep

Any more advice?

Chronicled
2007-12-25, 03:17 AM
Preparing Ray of Frost is debatable. Otherwise, looks like you're set!

Ichneumon
2007-12-25, 03:19 AM
Thanks,

About Ray of Frost, you see, I have already quite a few 0-level spells (because I am a gnome) and I thought it wouldn't be wise to prepare no damage dealing spell at all.

Chronicled
2007-12-25, 03:26 AM
That was my thought. Plus, at 1st level 1d3 damage can still make a difference.

At later levels, Ray of Frost still can be handy to "poke" things you need to check out, but would rather not get too close to, instead of something that does a decent amount of damage.