PDA

View Full Version : Advertising

Omega
2007-12-24, 04:56 PM
What if my advertising is for my forum and not, for-profit? :smallconfused:

Ceska
2007-12-24, 05:05 PM
Then it's fine. Quoting the rules:

As noted above, commercial (for-profit) advertising is not allowed on GiantITP.com. However, you ARE permitted to start threads advertising non-profit websites; either charity events or merely amateur/fan sites that don't sell anything. Please be sure to observe the rules governing Spam and multiple-thread cross-posting, however, and make sure your plug is in the most appropriate forum (usually Friendly Banter).

You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.
Advertising your forum, for example in your signature, is allowed. At least that's how I understood the rules.

Omega
2007-12-24, 05:16 PM
Then it's fine. Quoting the rules:

Advertising your forum, for example in your signature, is allowed. At least that's how I understood the rules.

Works for me.

Ichneumon
2007-12-24, 05:26 PM
What is your forum about?

kpenguin
2007-12-25, 12:43 AM
So, techically, you can't advertise GITP on these boards because of all the things that are being sold here?

Rawhide
2007-12-25, 04:00 AM
So, techically, you can't advertise GITP on these boards because of all the things that are being sold here?

You might want to read those rules again:

As noted above, commercial (for-profit) advertising is not allowed on GiantITP.com. However, you ARE permitted to start threads advertising non-profit websites; either charity events or merely amateur/fan sites that don't sell anything. Please be sure to observe the rules governing Spam and multiple-thread cross-posting, however, and make sure your plug is in the most appropriate forum (usually Friendly Banter).

You may always advertise or link to works of art online, such as other webcomics, fiction sites, music sites, or anything else that generates original artistic content—even if that site also makes a profit off of that work. We don't want the rules against advertising to prevent people from discovering new creative works that they will love, and don't want to penalize artists for trying to make a living off of their work. However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here.

Zherog
2007-12-25, 09:04 AM
Since I had a question on this exact topic, I'll drop it here rather than making a new thread.

That piece of the rules, Rawhide... Does it include gaming books? Like, just as an example ;) , if I had a book coming out from Goodman Games, could I post about it in the d20 forum?

Samiam303
2007-12-25, 12:56 PM
I'd say that would hinge on the "However, if a site only resells creative work and does not have any of that work available online, then it is primarily a commercial site and cannot be advertised here." bit of the rule.

Zherog
2007-12-25, 03:00 PM
What if I didn't post any links? Or, what if the link went to a product page on the publisher's site (assuming the page wasn't a "store")?

That's why I asked - I'm not entirely sure where the line is.

bluish_wolf
2007-12-25, 04:30 PM
It says resells, right? So, it's referring to retail, which a publisher wouldn't be.

Omega
2007-12-25, 11:30 PM
What is your forum about?

Well this was a smaller descrtiption of my forum:

Hey like stick figures (you must if your viewing this site). S.B.R. (and no it is not a copy of ABR, it has nothing to do with the battle the avatars)eel like you need to ram a tree through someone's skull, well then this would be the place.

Alright basically, have you ever wanted to mix stick figures with the freedom of anything? I mean created a character that can shoot fireballs from his eyeballs while shoot water from his hair. If your not looking at the fact that it is random, look at the fact that it gives you unlimited (if not including the small rules) freedom and is a outlet to vent whatever you are feeling. Personally I think the idea is great and fun. Don't knock it until you try it. :smallbiggrin:

kpenguin
2007-12-26, 05:26 AM

So, we can't link to CafePress then?

Zherog
2007-12-27, 12:51 PM
Since I had a question on this exact topic, I'll drop it here rather than making a new thread.

That piece of the rules, Rawhide... Does it include gaming books? Like, just as an example ;) , if I had a book coming out from Goodman Games, could I post about it in the d20 forum?

What if I didn't post any links? Or, what if the link went to a product page on the publisher's site (assuming the page wasn't a "store")?

That's why I asked - I'm not entirely sure where the line is.

I'd like to give this series of questions a little bump.