PDA

View Full Version : Durkon as an undead? [SPOILER]

yoshi927
2007-12-24, 11:33 PM
Origins spoilers below.
Alright, so the high priest of Odin says that Durkon will bring great calamity next time he returns home, whereas the Oracle says Durkon will return home posthumously. These two prophecies seem to contradict. Assuming that they're both correct, two possibilities. (1) Durkon's corpse is carried to his ancestral tomb by the rest of the Order. They bring Xykon down on the dwarven lands. (2) Durkon returns home as an undead. Seeing as they'd be more prone to ressurect Durkon than to entomb him, and Durkon would accept to carry out his duty, (1) isn't likely. So, assume that Xykon kills Durkon, animates him as an intelligent undead, and, for "style" points, sends him to attack the dwarven mountain? It could lead to interesting plots as the Order has to kill him.

Just another of those lame theories you see lying around.

SPoD
2007-12-24, 11:35 PM
You probably shouldn't bother putting your post in spoiler text if you're going to put your actual prediction in the title of your thread.

Healer Hobo
2007-12-25, 01:01 AM
Oi, can we get those dudes with the funny hats in here? This seems a ripe person for your "Insane Theory" Guild

Balathustrius
2007-12-25, 01:07 AM
I've been a fan of this theory since I heard another forumer postulate it a few months back. The only argument I could think for it then was that it was probably too dark a plot twist for the Giant to make.

That was before the episode with the bouncy ball, however.

Lorn
2007-12-25, 05:38 PM
Well, it'd make sense for Xykon to somehow enslave Durkon as a dead Durkon before he tries to take over the Dwarven strongholds... aside from the massive morale damage an undead dwarf would bring to the dwarves (who venerate their ancestors to the point of ridiculousness like, everywhere) it'd mean that there could besome form of expert stonemason on his side (even if he is a little, well, pasty.)

Wouldn't actually be surprised, to be honest.

Ichneumon
2007-12-25, 05:48 PM
It does make sense and it could be true, although I think it isn't far fetched enough for Mr. Burlew to use it.

Lolzords
2007-12-25, 05:57 PM
Hey hey, that's probable, maybe the dwarf barbarian from order of the scribble shares the same dwarven city as durkon, therefore they return durkon's body to home and thats where they face the gate. eh?

Studoku
2007-12-25, 07:37 PM
I's a better theory than the other Durkon theories. There's only one other Durkon theory though- Durkon is Therkla.

yoshi927
2007-12-25, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure why everyone seems to think it's that "out there". :smallconfused:

Axl_Rose
2007-12-25, 09:35 PM
'm not sure why everyone seems to think it's that "out there".
Perhaps it is because you're unable to convince them with your cunning logic there.

Alright, so the high priest of Odin says that Durkon will bring great calamity next time he returns home, whereas the Oracle says Durkon will return home posthumously. These two prophecies seem to contradict.

They don't SEEM to contradict AT all. Just because the return of Durkon will bring catastrophe doesn't mean he has to be the one actively doing it; all you can really gather is that the return of a dead Durkon will coincide with catastrophe.

Antamar
2007-12-25, 11:28 PM
You forgot option 3, which is Durkon dies of old age in human lands (having not received the letter from the new High Priest) and his body is taken back to the Dwarven Homelands. However, at the same moment that Durkon arrives, a demonic host attacks the stronghold, which was caught off guard by the funeral. I wouldn't call it implausible that a demonic army would try to attack the home of the High Priests of Odin, Thor, and most likely the rest of the Northern Gods.

Maulrus
2007-12-26, 12:12 AM
I see a problem with your logic. He could be taken back to the dwarven lands dead and then be ressurected, which would fit the prophecy perfectly.

Thrythlind
2007-12-26, 12:13 AM
ummm, the Oracle said he'd return posthumously and only implied that the posthumous-ness would relate to him, also recall that the letter from the High Priest of Thor intercepted by Xykon and Redcloak says that someone in Durkon's family has died recently