PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Favored Souls?

JMobius
2007-12-25, 10:34 AM
I am set to be a player in a game soon, starting at level 2. I opted to be a favored soul, mainly as I just recently learned about them. I typically play sorcerers, but wanted to give divine magic a go as it frankly seems more my playstyle. I'm human, because one of the only constraints we have is only PHB races.

That is where I get stuck.

As Favored Souls don't have turn undead, or apparently access to domains, that cuts out quite a lot of options when it comes to feat and prestige classes. I've run through the PHB, and a couple of 'divine' related books, without finding much that I'm eligible for appealing.

Consequently, I'm turning to the experts. Any suggestions for feats and PrCs for a NG human favored soul that favors healing and buffing/debuffing? I don't know the level the game will get to, but the class interests, so I'm curious for suggestions even up to the hypothetical level 20.

Thanks. :)

Chronicled
2007-12-25, 12:05 PM
You'll want to make Wisdom a dump stat and not take debuffing spells that have a save; focus on buffs and useful spells (Silence is always nice).

Frankly, despite all the fuss made about free weapon specialization, Favored Souls are far weaker than clerics. So much weaker, that they're a balanced class. Speaking of the diety's weapon proficiency/focus/specialization: there's nothing saying that this can't be an exotic weapon. If you don't have to pick standard dieties, or ideally if you can make your own, you can have a spiked chain, or goliath greathammer, or elven courtblade.

If you're looking for feats, Heavy Armor Proficiency isn't horrible at early levels. Power Attack is a good choice once you have a few BAB. I'm sure you saw that Metamagic could prove very handy with Sorcerers; the same applies to a certain extent with Favored Souls. Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon is a favorite of mine, letting you cast a spell using two slots from the level below it.

Also, if you want Turn Undead, you can PrC into Sacred Exorcist.

Wordmiser
2007-12-25, 03:23 PM
You'll want to make Wisdom a dump stat and not take debuffing spells that have a save; focus on buffs and useful spells (Silence is always nice). I though wisdom dictated the level of spells available (though I'm away from my books at the moment). If so, it needs to be at least 10+[1/2 FS level].

I second the Sacred Exorcist PrC.

Rapid Metamagic, Quicken Spell and Chain Spell should all probably be in the character progression if you want to be buff-focused. If you want debuffing, Heighten Spell might also be necessary to free up spell slots.

There's also the Spontaneous Cleric variant in Unearthed Arcana, which does about the same thing, but which does so more effectively.

JMobius
2007-12-25, 04:01 PM
I though wisdom dictated the level of spells available (though I'm away from my books at the moment). If so, it needs to be at least 10+[1/2 FS level].

Charisma is used to determine the maximum spell level avaliable, as well as bonus spells. Wisdom is used to determine save DCs. Kind of a jip, considering most classes consolidate both into a single attribute, but whatever. :)

I looked up Sacred Exorcist, and that one sounds appealing. As for feats Heavy Armor Proficency and Chain Spell both look appealing.

While I wasn't really intending to be a blaster, I've also found "Purify Spell" in Exalted Deeds which seems tempting. For one extra spell level, the damage die is increased by one for all evil targets hit (d6 becomes d8, etc), and good targets take no damage. Provided my party is properly aligned, that one has some fun nuking potential. :)

Reel On, Love
2007-12-25, 04:39 PM
That is where I get stuck.

As Favored Souls don't have turn undead, or apparently access to domains, that cuts out quite a lot of options when it comes to feat and prestige classes. I've run through the PHB, and a couple of 'divine' related books, without finding much that I'm eligible for appealing.

Consequently, I'm turning to the experts. Any suggestions for feats and PrCs for a NG human favored soul that favors healing and buffing/debuffing? I don't know the level the game will get to, but the class interests, so I'm curious for suggestions even up to the hypothetical level 20.

Thanks. :)

Sacred Exorcist, as mentioned, will give you Turn Undead, which you can use to power Divine feats. Until then, consider Church Inquisitor (CDiv) if the flavor fits.
There's also a great little class called the Knight of the Raven in the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft book, but that loses a caster level (but does get both Turn Undead and full BAB).

You can either go for melee + healing/buffing and raise STR (with some DEX and CON) and CHA. Tip: try the Illumian race from Races of Destiny. You can get your bonus spells to depend on your STR--that way you only need just enough CHA to cast them and can crank STR.
Cleric spells aren't so great at debuffing, and your save DCs will be low unless you focus on WIS, so if you go for healing/offensive spells.

Purify Spell is just a +1-damage-per-spell-level increase, it's not worth it.

Feats-wise, that depends if you want to be more melee-heavy or sit back and buff/heal. Melee Favored Souls (which are pretty good) take melee feats; the others take, well, spellcastery feats. Once you get Turn Undead you'll want to check out the Devotion feats in Complete Champion.
If you worship a war god, you can dip Contemplative after level 10 to get a bonus domain, and take the War domain, then pick up the Holy Warrior feat.

marjan
2007-12-25, 04:48 PM
Augment healing and that reserve feat that lets you heal others as long as you have healing spell available to cast should do the trick. For buffing Extend Spell, Reach Spell and Chain spell should do the trick (though you might need rods to pull all of this stuff).
If you are not set on playing normal human you can take Illumian. With right sigils you can use your str instead of cha modifier for bonus spells but you will still need cha high enough to cast spells. This will slightly help reduce MAD for your character.

JMobius
2007-12-26, 12:13 PM
I mostly intend to play a caster, possibly with some tanking (mostly via buffs) thrown in.

The part that stands out about purify spell to me is the fact that it ignores good creatures. This enables me to use AoE spells in circumstances I otherwise could not. The damage increase is just icing.

I am limited to PHB races for the campaign setting, that is the only reason I'm taking human. I'd initially opted for aasimar.

Contemplative looks tasty.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :)