PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Bard/Dragon Shaman build

Muffin_Man
2007-12-25, 03:20 PM
I never did a fifth character before, so I'm trying to do a good Bonus Giver (in my best christmas spirit) for a new campaign I'm starting. Since I usually DM and never made a bard or a dragon shaman npc, I'm completely blind here.

The Char is human and has to start as a gestalt Bard/Dragon Shaman, for feats I know I will get Extra Bardic Song and Dragonfire Inspiration, but I don't know anything else to get.

The DM allowed anything WoTC exept by campaign feats and PrCs.

Wordmiser
2007-12-25, 03:33 PM
The standard Inspire Courage boosters are listed here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14082576&postcount=45).
So just to save you the linking trouble:
Try to get the Words of Creation feat (BoED); it doubles your Inspire Courage bonuses
Melodic Casting (CM) is a handy feat to take
The Inspirational Boost Spell (SpC) boosts IC.
The Vest of Legends (DMG2) and Badge of Valor (MIC) are both good IC boosts.
And you might look at the Dread Pirate class. It may or may not be useful in boosting your IC benefits.

And... um... use the Haste Spell as much as you can. Everyone loves that spell.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-12-25, 03:43 PM
So, basically you wanna be all-around party buffer and stuff, huh?

May I suggest that debuffing opponents can be just as valuable for a '5th wheel' team player?

Haste is awsomeness, don't get me wrong, but Slow can be just as awsome to keep you buddies from gettin' hurt in the first place. Bards get some very useful stuff like Fear and Confusion and Heidious Laughter and Irresistable Dance which makes awsometastic battlefield control.

Grabbing a few battlefield control stuff won't really hurt your buffing ability, but it can make you an even more valuable asset to the party as a whole.

Shovah
2007-12-25, 05:26 PM
Can I suggest taking the leadership feat, to get both a cohort and a load of followers designed to help the party?
I just love that feat.

Then again I also love the fire-souled template, which gives the leadership feat and +4 charisma, although it is apparently +3 LA(an error on Crystal Keep says its +1, iirc).

CactusAir
2007-12-25, 08:42 PM
The standard Inspire Courage boosters are listed here (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14082576&postcount=45).
So just to save you the linking trouble:
Try to get the Words of Creation feat (BoED); it doubles your Inspire Courage bonuses
Melodic Casting (CM) is a handy feat to take
The Inspirational Boost Spell (SpC) boosts IC.
The Vest of Legends (DMG2) and Badge of Valor (MIC) are both good IC boosts.
And you might look at the Dread Pirate class. It may or may not be useful in boosting your IC benefits.

You forgot Song of the Heart (Eberron)

Muffin_Man
2007-12-26, 02:47 PM
I think that some battlefield control won't hurt, but I'm not focusing on it.

There's anything good to implement dragon shaman abilities? I haven't found any, so far it's just a bard with some random auras.

SadisticFishing
2007-12-26, 02:52 PM
Hrm, replace Dragon Shaman with a White Raven Crusader or Warblade, and you'll be able to smash face as well as making your group awesome.

If you do stay Dragon Shaman, be sure to get Entangling Exhalation.

AmberVael
2007-12-26, 03:03 PM
Dragon Shaman has to be my favorite class that I'll never end up using. It's an awesome idea, and the mechanical idea is well carried out... except... their auras are terrible.
Not only do you get too little of a bonus, but your auras are rarely worth it. Resistance is really the only aura that is okay, and it has a limited use. Vigor isn't a complete waste, but otherwise...
Talk to your DM and see if he'll power up the Dragon Shaman. Maybe make an "aura focus" feat to increase the bonus on a particular aura by one. Check Dragon Magic for more auras (pages 86-87). See if you can create your own auras.
One aura that would be worth it is Toughness, except it has the terrible penalty of being DR x/Magic. If you could increase or refine the type of DR, it would become an aura worth getting (Even if you had to use a feat, or get a second aura).
But as it is... Dragon Shaman isn't worth getting.
Hmmm... maybe I should homebrew a new version...

SadisticFishing
2007-12-26, 03:05 PM
Dragon Shaman has to be my favorite class that I'll never end up using.

I agree. Give em full bab, that should do the trick.

Muffin_Man
2007-12-26, 03:15 PM
I know that Dragon Shaman suck, but besides the fact that it fits nicely into my background, the whole idea is to make a char that doesn't deal direct damage.

Maybe I will change it to marshall, though I dont like his militar style.

SadisticFishing
2007-12-26, 03:18 PM
Marshal is very okay, and a good example of what an aura class should look like.

Personally, if I were playing Gestalt, I would want one of the two to have good skills or spellcasting, and the other to have full BAB. Doing no direct damage at all could get annoying, as most of your turns will be "I sing."

CactusAir
2007-12-26, 07:16 PM
Doing no direct damage at all could get annoying, as most of your turns will be "I sing."

What's wrong with no direct damage? One of the ideas I was playing with was a rogue based off of Debuffing with ambush feats. He did little damage but seriously debuffed any enemy he could hit. Not a great character but could be very nice in a low-magic campaign.

Also, with Melodic Casting, you can sing and cast. Why bother hitting stuff?

SadisticFishing
2007-12-26, 07:21 PM
Actually, I'm playing a wizard with no damage spells in a campaign, I didn't mean "no damage" so much as "no actions". Oops.

Yeah, Melodic Casting may make sense, but Bard spells still aren't up to par for in-combat things to do. As my kobold wizard I tend to cast Haste, Bull's Strength, Ray of Enfeeblements, then just watch (with my crossbow)... but combat rarely lasts longer than 3-4 rounds anyways.

marjan
2007-12-27, 07:48 AM
Aura that grants you bonus to initative, spot and listen is your best aura. If your party lacks magic weapons (for some reason) the one that gets you DR/magic will also make your weapons count as magic, vigor is great aura to save your cleric spell slots and the one that gives bonus dmg is good choice for combat. You could pick 5th sub lvl from DrM to get you one invocation in exchange for your aura. As for feats entangling exhauston is the best one you can get but you'll have to wait till lvl6 for that.

brant167
2007-12-27, 08:40 AM
I did something fairly similar in a gestaulted game. I had bard down one side and the other side was marshal 3/dragon shaman 2/ dragon song lyricist (dragonmincon) 5/ seeker of the song 10. It was an extremely fun character to play and I was useful in every combat.

I would suggest taking a look at the feats that give you additional songs. Don’t forget to look at the master work instruments in complete adventurer.