PDA

View Full Version : Amulet of the Boundless Wanderer [Artifact]

Admiral Squish
2007-12-25, 07:03 PM
Amulet of the Boundless Wanderer

This amulet is a small plain talisman, a flat disk of steel, about a quarter-inch thick, the only decoration being an engravement on the back, a short prayer to the god of roads and travel, saying : “May no mountain bar my path, may no wall stop my travels, may no ocean halt my restless soul.” Looks deceive, though, as the amulet is quite powerful. When you put it on, you may activate any of the following abilities four abilities at will, though activating or turning off an ability is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. The wielder automatically knows the capacities of the amulet.

The wielder’s arms sprout leathery flaps, and the littlest finger telescopes out to support the flap. The wielder gets a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to dexterity, and a fly speed equal to their base land speed, with good maneuverability. The wielder can do nothing else with their hands while flying, and can only fly with a medium or light load, and in light armor. The wielder takes a -2 to attack rolls with a weapon as long as this power is active.

The wielder’s knuckles and the backs of their hands sprout huge, blunt claws instead of hands. The wielder gets a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to strength and a burrow speed equal to their base land speed. This burrowing leaves a viable tunnel for others behind them, and you cannot tunnel through metal or hard stone, like granite. The wielders fingers are still free to manipulate things, dangling off the bottom of the new claws. The wielder takes a -2 to attack rolls with a weapon as long as they have this power active.

The wielder sprouts gills and flippers, gaining a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to wisdom, the aquatic subtype, and a swim speed equal to their base land speed. This does not mean they become amphibious, and they take penalties for being outside water as normal for an aquatic creature. The wielder takes a -2 to attack rolls with a weapon as long as this power is active.

The wielder gains a temporary +2 enhancement bonus to constitution, doubles their base land speed, and halves their required resting period.

-----------------------
What do you think? I'm rather proud of myself.

JackMage666
2007-12-25, 07:08 PM
Looks like a 200K item or so, due to the increased versatility.

Also, makes sure you note that it's a +2 enhancement bonus, otherwise they'll stack with Gloves of Dexterity, Periapt of Wisdom, ect., which seems a bit needless.

Admiral Squish
2007-12-25, 07:12 PM
I was going to make it an artifact, actually.

But thanks for the advice on the enhancement bonus, I didn't think of that.

JackMage666
2007-12-25, 07:17 PM
Ah, OK, Artifact work perfectly - Probably Minor, but still works considerably better than making in easily available to players.

Ah, and I'm sorry for not mentioning before, but I love the item. It looks perfect for a BBEG who always manages to get everyone, but noone knows why...

Admiral Squish
2007-12-25, 10:36 PM
Thanks! Anything else you can think of for this thing? All advice is appreciated.

reorith
2007-12-26, 03:05 AM
admiral squish, this is a triumph.

if you added uses per day or some duration to the abilities, it would seem less abusable. you may also find this table helpful (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues).

magic items have prerequisite spells needed for their creation and appropriate caster levels. what would those be for the amulet of the boundless wanderer?

Admiral Squish
2007-12-26, 01:58 PM
I can't even begin to figure out what spells this thing would take to make, it's base price, or anything like that. so, I'm make it an artifact. This would also help keep it out of the hands of adventurers too low-level to earn it.

Magnor Criol
2007-12-26, 06:14 PM
You probably could find the right spells, but yeah, this is definitely better as an artifact. It allows you to move over - or above - any terrain, for any amount of time, any number of times you wish. No question, this is artifact power.

DracoDei
2007-12-26, 08:19 PM
You should specify if the claws make it impossible to wield weapons and/or make fine manipulations.
Uncork a potion?
Pick a lock?
Tie a knot?

Might also want to specifically state they give no benefit to unarmed attacks what-so-ever.

Admiral Squish
2007-12-26, 08:38 PM
You should specify if the claws make it impossible to wield weapons and/or make fine manipulations.
Uncork a potion?
Pick a lock?
Tie a knot?

Might also want to specifically state they give no benefit to unarmed attacks what-so-ever.

I think they'd be dexterous enough to hold weapons, but that's about it. Maybe a -2 to attacks with the wings and claws.

Admiral Squish
2007-12-26, 11:39 PM
There, fixed. Even gave the digger claws working fingers, too. And the flippers got the -2 to attack, as well.

dentrag2
2008-02-25, 07:57 PM
if we're talking about the standard gods, then it should be the Amulet of Fharlanghn. just had to be nitpicky.

Lappy9000
2008-02-26, 08:33 PM
This...is amazing.
*Copies and Pastes to Microsoft Word*

Seriously, though, I love amassing artifacts and other neat-o items to use in my campaign world.

Nice work!

Admiral Squish
2008-02-26, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments, I'm quite proud of this one.

DracoDei
2008-02-27, 12:46 AM
As for which spell would cover this I think Alter Self or at most Polymorph would be the one required.