PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting Power.

Rowanomicon
2007-12-25, 08:16 PM
So, I've been mulling around an idea in my head. I've thought about using this ability in a race, a template, a PrC, or an item. Whatever the end product is I'll post it on these boards when I have it.

Anyway, here's what I've refined the power to so far:

Moving becomes a swift action that can be used at will. The - cannot move more than their total base land speed in one round. The - cannot charge, hustle, or run with this ability or in the same round as using this ability.
This ability may be used at any time during the -'s turn, even between attacks on a full attack.

Things I'd like help on:
1) Naming the ability.
2) Ideas for things (especially non-homebrewed) that will synergise well with this
3) Clearer/better wording for the ability.
4) Constructive criticism.
5) How powerful it is.
6) How people can think of exploiting it (so that cheesy exploitation can be stopped)

Also general input is very much appreciated.

Nebo_
2007-12-25, 08:55 PM
Moving becomes an immediate action that can be used at will, but only on the -'s turn.

An immediate action that can only be used on your turn is called a swift action.

Rowanomicon
2007-12-25, 09:40 PM
Thanks, I corrected it.

keyboardboy101
2007-12-26, 11:22 AM
Is it actually going to be teleporting that far in a round? or just moving incredibly fast?

If it's the latter, it fits well with a monk class or assassin, but it seems powerful enough (for dodging pretty much... anything) that it would have to be restricted to higher level characters.

If its more like a small teleport (which is seems like you want), it would almost have to go with magic-based classes. It still has the slight overpowered taste to it because of the ability to dodge almost anything coming at you and it has the additional bonus of being able to move across areas that you couldnt normally, which means that it is actually verging on being overpowered. Some way to tone it down would probably be good.

There isn't really anything like this that I've ever read of (except the run feat, but thats different) and I'm not sure what you are looking for in term of synergy.

Abuses: kind of allows any character to move in - attack - move out of range, which is an obvious benefit.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-12-26, 11:26 AM
Tome of Battle has some teleport maneuvers but you're probably sick of that book by now.

AmberVael
2007-12-26, 12:35 PM
If its more like a small teleport (which is seems like you want), it would almost have to go with magic-based classes. It still has the slight overpowered taste to it because of the ability to dodge almost anything coming at you and it has the additional bonus of being able to move across areas that you couldnt normally, which means that it is actually verging on being overpowered. Some way to tone it down would probably be good.

There isn't really anything like this that I've ever read of (except the run feat, but thats different) and I'm not sure what you are looking for in term of synergy.

Abuses: kind of allows any character to move in - attack - move out of range, which is an obvious benefit.
It actually doesn't give you the ability to dodge almost anything, since it is a swift action and has to be used on your turn. Unless you are just using Readied Actions, it won't be something you can react with, and because of it being a readied action... it isn't really worth it.

However, the difference between teleportation and fast movement is a very big difference. Teleportation would likely be better in a template or an item. A race would work if you gave it level adjustment, of course. I'm not so sure about a PrC- it would require a ton of other abilities as well, so it would be harder to make. If you're willing to put that time into, sure, go ahead, but otherwise...

Rowanomicon
2007-12-26, 02:46 PM
The fluff of this ability is that it is teleporting, but it still keeps a character restricted to their normal movement speed per round.

Also the dodging is not really a possability. Except, as noted, with readied actions.

The main uses are:
A) Getting in, attacking, and getting out
B) Attacking multiple opponents that are not besides each other
C) Improved mobility

I was originally thinking of this for a race (with LA obviously), but later thought it might be easier to put it into play as an item or something.

If you ready a move action for when someone is shooting an arrow at you and you move to the left do they automatically miss?

Bandededed
2007-12-26, 03:09 PM
The main uses are:
A) Getting in, attacking, and getting out
B) Attacking multiple opponents that are not besides each other
C) Improved mobility

Actually, you can only use one swift action per round (unless I missed something), so use A would be nixed, unless of course you mean to simply walk in then teleport out

This seems a lot like shunpo (shundo?) from BeholdTheVoid's Bleach d20, so you might want to give that a look for prc with it as an ability.

AmberVael
2007-12-26, 04:11 PM
You know, I just realized why this seemed so familiar.
Hustle. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hustle.htm)

Stycotl
2007-12-26, 08:27 PM
it sucks to be the creature that can only move by teleportation when someone drops a dimensional anchor on you.

that doesn't really look like hustle to me...

AmberVael
2007-12-26, 08:58 PM
Are you kidding?

Moving becomes a swift action that can be used at will.

And Hustle gives you a move action by manifesting it with a swift action.

...you're not seeing the similarity? :smallconfused:

Stycotl
2007-12-26, 09:11 PM
sigh--that wasn't supposed to condemn your deja vu. it was just how i see things. i don't do well looking at the small mechanic of a larger power, comparing it to another--different--power with a similar small mechanic, and calling them similar. in my mind, that is like saying that hustle and wolf claws are similar because they are both psymet.

aaron out

Rowanomicon
2007-12-29, 05:15 PM
OK, well This was supposed to be something that one can do at any time on their turn (and only on their turn) and a number of times that is only limited by the amount they move.

Also, they can still move normally if they choose to. Thanks for catching that.

FlyMolo
2007-12-29, 05:57 PM
Mechanically, this is almost the same as hustle. Almost. AoO might be different.

As far as a name/item, you could call it *deep breath*

"Not-as-Abundant-As-Abundant-Step-But-Still-More-Abundant-Than-A-Regular-Step-Step."

Because it's kinda like the monk ability. but not as long-ranged.

Possible names:
Time Flicker
In the Blink of an Eye
Skip
Quantum Feedback (?)
Boots of Ethereal Jumping
Rod of "Beam-Me-Sideways-Scotty"
Stick of Portary Ledgerdemain
Wand of Instant Cloning and Disintegration

Rowanomicon
2008-01-02, 04:26 PM
I like "Skip" as a second choice to clear favourite NAAAASBSMATARSS.

Just so people can sort of envision this power, it's supposed to be kine of like Nightcrawler's ability, but even more short-ranged.