PDA

View Full Version : Lack of sleep

skreweded
2007-12-25, 11:45 PM
Hallo!

Was just reading the Ctrl+alt+del forums, and saw a thread about sleep deprivation. Would have made an account there, but the bastards wont let me have one. =(

What do you guys think? I am thinking about sleeping well tonight, sleep in, and see if i can go without sleep till next year (5 days away)!

I know very little of you know me, and consiquently probably dont care, however, any experiances with this?

Ego Slayer
2007-12-25, 11:53 PM
I think intentionally doing something like that to yourself without real reason is ridiculous and unwise.

GL and HF. :smallsigh:

Dragonrider
2007-12-26, 12:13 AM
Didn't we recently have another thread like this? I think most of us agreed it was a stupid idea. :smalltongue:

BizzaroStormy
2007-12-26, 12:16 AM
Actually I tend to do this for fun. I'll stay up for days, usually on a gaming binge, full of red bull and energy pills, after which i crash in my recliner for about a day and a half.

EvilElitest
2007-12-26, 12:45 AM
Hallo!

Was just reading the Ctrl+alt+del forums, and saw a thread about sleep deprivation. Would have made an account there, but the bastards wont let me have one. =(

What do you guys think? I am thinking about sleeping well tonight, sleep in, and see if i can go without sleep till next year (5 days away)!

I know very little of you know me, and consiquently probably dont care, however, any experiances with this?

well i suffer from insombia, so i know what you mean
from,
EE

Haruki-kun
2007-12-26, 12:49 AM
Didn't we recently have another thread like this? I think most of us agreed it was a stupid idea. :smalltongue:

Yeah, someone mentioned something similiar, although it involved not eating either.

Well, it's pretty much up to you, but seriously, doing something like this is not good or natural, especially if you decided it on your own. You should get around 6-8 hours of sleep per night, and one night of missing sleep is still not good.

Besides....... what are you even going to do with that time? There's not much to do at 4 AM. :smalltongue: A bunch of people will now try to tell me what they do at 4 AM............

Brickwall
2007-12-26, 01:01 AM
Besides....... what are you even going to do with that time? There's not much to do at 4 AM. :smalltongue: A bunch of people will now try to tell me what they do at 4 AM............

That's actually why I don't stay up often: I get bored to all hell, and want to sleep.

I need crazier friends.

BizzaroStormy
2007-12-26, 01:06 AM
4 AM: Video Games, GItP Forums, Dubbing [as] anime since you already saw the episodes earlier, the list goes on.

reorith
2007-12-26, 01:26 AM
That's actually why I don't stay up often: I get bored to all hell, and want to sleep.

I need crazier friends.

brickwall, wanna run with me and my crew? 4am finds us engaged in various asinine activities and high risk behaviors.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-12-26, 04:58 AM
If I'm awake at 4 AM, chances are I'm drunk and trying to find a cab home from downtown.

As for not sleeping... way to kill off your brain cells. Save them for something cool, like alcohol. It does the same thing, only you have fun in the process.

B-Man
2007-12-26, 10:17 AM
I'm just back to a decent sleep pattern. It's only taken a week staying at my parents place. I was so stressed when I was on my own that I couldn't sleep when I tried to sleep (around 12 and 1), so I wound up staying up 'til 4 or 6 in the morning.

Back on the regular sleep schedule makes me scared. I'd forgotten how bright the sun was.

Archangel Yuki
2007-12-26, 11:10 AM
4 AM: Video Games, GItP Forums, Dubbing [as] anime since you already saw the episodes earlier, the list goes on.

Really? What else is on there?
I just had a no-sleeping contest with my friend, and this was pretty much all i did. Anime... I finished like 3 different series. :smallamused:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-12-26, 12:20 PM
I think it's a pretty foolish thing to do. Sleep is how your body is able to repair itself and fight off infection/disease, not to mention that lack of REM sleep has an adverse affect on the brain.

sapphail
2007-12-27, 10:12 AM
Speaking from experience, it isn't a very clever thing to do, especially if you don't have a good reason for doing it (not that mine was the most sensible of reasons, but anyway). My record was 3 days/2 nights, and went thus: Friday, woke up at 8am, went to work, shift finished 11pm. Went straight from work to a party, went straight from said party to work next day. Finished shift at 11pm, went home to change, went to a work Xmas party. Went home to get clean uniform, then worked another 14 hour shift. Went home and slept for a day and a half.

As you may have gathered, this was planned with sensibility in mind. Ok, it wasn't planned at all, events kind of just came together that way, but the point is by the end of it I was near delusional. I was seeing things out of the corners of my eyes that weren't there and hearing things as well. I'm sure all the alcohol and Red Bull didn't help things. My sincerest advice would be to think very seriously before you do anything like this. Oh, and you'll be irritable as hell, too.

Alex Kidd
2007-12-27, 10:40 AM
Heh, it's not worth it really I did it once before, stayed didn't sleep from Saturday night til Friday afternoon, the first few days were working on a project, the rest was just to see if I could(I was 15 at the time hence stupid). By Friday morning I was having mild hallucinations(swirling vortices appearing in the patterns in the carpet, my desk looking like it had waves like water and half heard sounds) and found everything hilarious(not as fun as it sounds) so I handed in the project and walked home. Then I slept til Sunday.

Amazingly I aced the project however, got the highest mark in the class by over 20%(89% to a measly 64%, the average was a fail as well), it was an academic extension class too and the year's major assignment, it was on the changes in Communist China in the Deng Xiaoping era. It's a nice ego boost to completely outclass an academic extension class even when you're insane.

Supagoof
2007-12-27, 10:52 AM
I took my ACT test after spending all night awake at a choir all night party in high school. I did surprisingly well, so well in fact, that I decided to go and re-take the test. I mean, hey if I did that good when I was up all night, imagine if I had sleep.

Re-took it twice, didn't do as well either time (came close....). Go figure.

valadil
2007-12-27, 11:55 AM
I don't think I've stayed up more than 30 hours, but a friend of mine went two weeks. He was hallucinating by the end of it and couldn't walk straight, so he had to move sideways.

I don't know about you, but I'm miserable when I'm sleep deprived. Sure you may get more hours of video game playing in, but you won't be alert so you'll play badly and then you'll get irritated at your apparent lack of skill. I'd rather have 8 hours of good game playing than 24 hours of sluggish uninspired gaming.

Argetlam15
2007-12-27, 12:17 PM
I don't think I've stayed up more than 30 hours, but a friend of mine went two weeks. He was hallucinating by the end of it and couldn't walk straight, so he had to move sideways.

This sounds kinda weird to me, as that is kinda superhumanly long to go without sleep. German scientists during WW2 (yeah, I know, one might not want to believe so much in them, but anyway) were trying to see how long people could stay awake. They gave their "patients" concentrated adrenaline and coffeine, and it took about 8 or 9 days before they had permanent brain damage, and around 10 days after they started, most patients were dead... So those 2 weeks doesn't sound too real to me.

2007-12-27, 12:30 PM
This sounds kinda weird to me, as that is kinda superhumanly long to go without sleep. German scientists during WW2 (yeah, I know, one might not want to believe so much in them, but anyway) were trying to see how long people could stay awake. They gave their "patients" concentrated adrenaline and coffeine, and it took about 8 or 9 days before they had permanent brain damage, and around 10 days after they started, most patients were dead... So those 2 weeks doesn't sound too real to me.

Yeah, I'm sure two weeks wouldn't be possible under those circumstances. As concentrated adrenaline and caffeine would wreak havoc on your body, and have extremely detrimental affects. I believe too much adrenaline can actually kill a person. Without all the stimulants, staying up for two weeks might be possible, but your brain would likely shut down before that time period is up. Not that I would condone doing, or would ever try it.

I can remember two times where I stayed up for quite a while. The first was my first year of college, when I participated in a 24 hour dance marathon with the proceeds from donations going to the children's hospital in town. When everything was all said and done, I think I was up for around 30 hours, give or take a few. I then proceeded to sleep for the next 20 and woke up an hour before the Super Bowl started. The other one, I was up for around 48 hours. I go up, went to class and everything the first day, and stayed up all night finishing a project I had been procrastinating on for the most part. I then went to class the next day, and even was in a band concert that evening. By the time the concert was done and I was going home, I was a walking zombie and completely and utterly useless. I was actually amazed I made it home.

Metal Head
2007-12-27, 12:31 PM

That's obviously untrue. He'd be dead before he reached 2 weeks.

larnman2
2007-12-27, 12:55 PM
Here are some tricks I used

1. Always have lights on. Always.

2. Line up interesting things to do. NEVER LET YOURSELF GO IDLE.

3. Let other people drive.

4. Read number 3 again. I nearly died once.

5. Have friends at night to keep you occupied.

6. Steady amounts of caffiene. If you have too much, you will overamp, then crash terribly.

7. Loud jumpy music with lyrics. Simple acoustics will put you to sleep.

8.Podcasts. Just simply listening to people talking can keep you awake.

9. Lift your bed vertically, to stop temptation.

Telonius
2007-12-27, 01:21 PM
This site (http://www.pbs.org/livelyhood/nightshift/sleep_deprivation.html) lists the world record of sleep deprivation as 11 days:

Notorious cases of record-setters include disc jockey Peter Tripp who in 1959 stayed up for more than eight days as a promotional stunt. After a few days, he began to hallucinate, seeing kittens, mice, and cobwebs. He also became paranoid, insisting that an electrician had dropped a hot electrode into his shoe...

Six years later, high school student Randy Gardner attempted to break the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest time awake -- 260 hours. And after 11 days without sleep he suffered no hallucinations or paranoia and no psychotic symptoms.

I've seen Randy Gardner referenced elsewhere. I tried to check out the source, but the Guinness World Record site isn't being very helpful (I think their search function is a little screwy) so I can't verify it.

EDIT:
This site (http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/permalink/what_is_the_world_record_for_staying_awake/) also has some information about purported sleep deprivation records.

The Times reports that: "The Guinness previous record was for 11½ days, or 276 hours, and was set by Toimi Soini in Hamina, Finland, between February 5 to 15, 1964." However, Soini's record was removed from the Guinness Book of Records in 1989. "It was deleted on the grounds that it could encourage records harmful to health and was unverifiable because of the claims of insomnia sufferers."

larnman2
2007-12-27, 01:44 PM
Yeah, it's no huge feat to stay up for long periods of time, because if your determined, people commonly can turn to speed, which is messed up stuff. I'd like to say, that while I think it's interesting, I in no way advocate using illegal dugs to keep awake. That's what a lot of people that wanted to be record holders did, and I think that was the reason Guinness stopped recognizing the record. Anyone with enough uppers can stay up for 14 days, but then their brain is cottage cheese, and the can't remember names of their family members.

BizzaroStormy
2007-12-27, 01:59 PM

Well, me and my friends had a head-butting contest. I won, then watched DeathNote in one sitting.

Metal Head
2007-12-27, 02:10 PM

Watching reruns of your favourite shows, working out, and doing games that are normally done with drunk. The game "who can fall of the roof better?" comes to mind.

Vaynor
2007-12-28, 05:49 AM

WoW. That's all you need.

kpenguin
2007-12-28, 07:16 AM
One of my new years resolutions is to sleep for a full 24 hours without being knocked out or otherwise physically unable to wake up for fun.

So... yeah. I enjoy my sleep. Don't take that away from me.

Cuddly
2007-12-28, 07:32 AM
GL and HF

five
*beep*
four
*beep*
three
*beep*
two
*beep*
one
*beep*
last word
nubnubnub
gsskhjlk

*cue zerg noises*

Tormsskull
2007-12-28, 08:25 AM
Staying up late is one of those things you do when you are younger, I think everyone does it at one point or another. The longest I ever went was 2 nights, and by the time I actually did go to sleep, I was the meanest, grouchiest person you could possibly imagine.

But luckily that's all in the past, and hopefully I never have to stay up all night again, as I heart sleep.

2007-12-28, 12:15 PM
One of my new years resolutions is to sleep for a full 24 hours without being knocked out or otherwise physically unable to wake up for fun.

So... yeah. I enjoy my sleep. Don't take that away from me.

I believe that too much sleep is just as detrimental to you as too little. I think I've heard anything over 10 hours in a 24 hour period isn't a good thing.

valadil
2007-12-28, 12:27 PM
That's obviously untrue. He'd be dead before he reached 2 weeks.

I'm only reporting on what he told me afterwards. I think that after several days of not sleeping you'd probably lose count of the days which is probably what happened to him.

2007-12-28, 12:41 PM
I just read that it's actually impossible to die from staying awake for too long, as the brain shuts down, and you pass out before that happens. I also found that the world record for staying awake is 11 days.

kpenguin
2007-12-28, 05:12 PM
I just read that it's actually impossible to die from staying awake for too long, as the brain shuts down, and you pass out before that happens. I also found that the world record for staying awake is 11 days.

That's awesome! Did Utnapishtim grant him immortality?

RandomNPC
2007-12-28, 05:30 PM
due to conditions of life, a friend of mine at work is going into the sleep deprovation thing. He has missing time, but he doesn't recall actually resting, or coming out of rest for five days. today he began shaking his had like there was some kinda bug or something stuck to him. his skins crawling, and he feels like he's sweating, but he's not warm and not sweaty.

i think im some kinda crazy person, because i get at least some sleep every night and i feel just like him. course i've got a sinus infection and i'm not delusional about bugs on my hands.

Archangel Yuki
2007-12-28, 06:10 PM
Well, me and my friends had a head-butting contest. I won, then watched DeathNote in one sitting.

Yeah... I started a new series, D.Grey Man....I just watched 10 episodes in a row. -_- Yay anime!

Icewalker
2007-12-28, 06:52 PM
That's awesome! Did Utnapishtim grant him immortality?

I don't see what Gilgamesh has to do with sleep deprivation. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, just make sure you have something to do. When I have friends over for the night, we just stay up as long as we have something to do, so we can stay awake the whole night sometimes. I don't know about the damage...but is sounds really fun, so I may try it eventually.