PDA

View Full Version : Initiative and Flat-feet

Burley
2007-12-26, 11:29 AM
My previous DMs have always neglected the fact that, at the beginning of an encounter, you (or allies and enemies) are flat-footed until your initiative rolls around. I keep trying to convince them of this rule, but I always run into the same problem: I can't find the rule in any books. I know it's in the PHB somewhere, but I'm apparently blind to that specific line. Can anybody give me a point of reference? Thanks.

And, heck, just for the sake of making this a useful thread: Are there any other rules that are often overlooked that I could use in my favor, or even against my favor? (My current character is a little too well-made, and I'd like to actually take damage one day. :smalltongue:)

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-26, 11:34 AM
I laughed at flat feet.

Pg 137 first column. Line 5-6.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-12-26, 11:35 AM
It's readily available on-line too.

Initiative

Initiative Checks

At the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check. An initiative check is a Dexterity check. Each character applies his or her Dexterity modifier to the roll. Characters act in order, counting down from highest result to lowest. In every round that follows, the characters act in the same order (unless a character takes an action that results in his or her initiative changing; see Special Initiative Actions).

If two or more combatants have the same initiative check result, the combatants who are tied act in order of total initiative modifier (highest first). If there is still a tie, the tied characters should roll again to determine which one of them goes before the other.

Flat-Footed

At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initiative order), you are flat-footed. You can’t use your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) while flat-footed. Barbarians and rogues have the uncanny dodge extraordinary ability, which allows them to avoid losing their Dexterity bonus to AC due to being flat-footed.

A flat-footed character can’t make attacks of opportunity.

Inaction

Even if you can’t take actions, you retain your initiative score for the duration of the encounter.

Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/initiative.htm) is a link for your convenience

Edit: clarified the quote

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-26, 11:38 AM
This is a point that people argue about a lot. I'm just gonna sit down and watch the fireworks.

*popcorn*

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-12-26, 11:40 AM
This is a point that people argue about a lot. I'm just gonna sit down and watch the fireworks.

*popcorn*

But the answer, it's right there! How can there be any arguments about it?

JMobius
2007-12-26, 11:42 AM
But the answer, it's right there! How can there be any arguments about it?

GMs being aware of the rule and choosing to ignore it.

I can't exactly see why that would be a big enough issue to cause anything heated, though.

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-26, 11:43 AM
Oh arguing about its use as a rule and whether you should weaken rogues.

Citizen Joe
2007-12-26, 11:50 AM
Wait, I just read that... does that mean you only roll initiative ONCE during an encounter not every round?

JMobius
2007-12-26, 11:53 AM
Wait, I just read that... does that mean you only roll initiative ONCE during an encounter not every round?

Rolling only once is the standard rule, yes.

I like to do it every round, personally.

Keld Denar
2007-12-26, 12:03 PM

Rolling once per encounter has been the norm since 3e first came out. Before that, in 2e, there were rules in place about rolling initiative every round (back when it was a d10, and low was good, not high). You rolled every round and added your weapon speed factor minus your reaction to your initiative.

I like the 1 roll per encounter system. Combat already gets too bogged down at mid-high levels to add more rolls in.