PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds and Setting Sun

Caduceus
2007-12-26, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking of making a kobold swordsage either for use as a PC in an Eberron game (if I can get anyone else in my group to DM) or as an NPC in said setting. The idea struck me as simply awesome with an unarmed kobold leaping around, blinding foes with strikes between the eyes (Clinging Shadow Strike) and crouching low before flinging them across the battlefield (Stonefoot Stance and any of the Throws). I've decided on the unarmed variant of the swordsage, but I'm no min-maxer. Anyone know if this is a good idea? I wonder about the Trip problems inherent in the throws, and whether a kobold could pull it off. I did roll well for stats, however.

After racial adjustments:
Str 12
Dex 20
Con 10
Int 16
Wis 18
Cha 9

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-26, 02:27 PM
That reeks of awesome. Where's that pic of a Kobold killing an ogre when you need it?

mostlyharmful
2007-12-26, 02:42 PM
Lizard Doom Ninja of Awesomeness!:smallbiggrin:

sounds both fun and playable.

Caduceus
2007-12-26, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys. As far as fluff, I'm thinking he'll be either a Siberys or Eberron kobold (from the Dragonshards article on the kobolds of Khorvaire), of the gix caste. He left the tribal caves because of a piece of the Draconic Prophecy uncovered by the mystics of the tribe, seeking either information regarding it, or to fulfill it himself.

However, does anyone have any suggestions?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-26, 05:04 PM
Pump up sense motive, and keep Baffling Defense on. It's a recipe for victory, since with a few normal boosts, you become nigh untouchable.

RTGoodman
2007-12-26, 06:36 PM
I don't know much about Eberron, and I just got ToB and haven't read too much of it yet, but I do know a few things about kobolds.

First, check out the Draconic Rite of Passage Ritual that allows you use one 1st level Sorcerer spell as a spell-like ability 1/day. I don't know what would be good for the character, but surely there's something that fits. Also, there's a feat in this Web Enhancement (http://64.223.12.31/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) that lets you use the ability 3/day.

Also, as a kobold, you have light sensitivity - you're going to probably want to take a feat to get rid of that (Daylight Adaptation, I think it's called) or get the cool sunglasses from Races of the Dragon (I think they're called Sundark Goggles, but I don't know the price).

tyckspoon
2007-12-26, 07:11 PM
That should work fairly well. The Setting Sun throw strikes allow you to use Dex or Str and add pluses to your trip check, so you should be able to manage Medium opponents. Anything larger starts to get tricky, but then they're already too big for you to make trip attempts on.

What does your planned feat list look like? A consistent non-maneuver source of damage would be helpful for this kung-fu kobold, and Weapon Finesse + Shadow Blade would go a long way to provide it.

Caduceus
2007-12-27, 12:15 AM
As far as I've got him worked out now, he doesn't have any Shadow Hand stances, but I've only worked him as 5th level so far. Haven't done feats yet, but I'll likely go for Falling Sun Strike and take Adaptive Style for more maneuvering.