PDA

View Full Version : Superman's LA?

GoC
2007-12-26, 05:30 PM
What would a kryptonian's LA and stat adjustments be?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-26, 05:32 PM
0 or Aleph 1, depending on the sun.

bluish_wolf
2007-12-26, 05:35 PM
Over 9,000.

SurlySeraph
2007-12-26, 05:36 PM
First off, I think he needs racial hit dice, not LA. His progression should be treated like the monster "classes" from Savage Species - he becomes more powerful as a Kryptonian over time, gaining access to better flight, speed, and strength, heat vision, etc., as he gains experience. However, he might well start out with a level adjustment as well, judging by Smallville.

Strength increases for each RHD, speed increases, increasing bonuses to jump checks that eventually are replaced by a flight speed, increasing DR/ kryptonite or magic, d12 or d20 hit dice, increasing elemental resistances, and all high saves. I don't feel like figuring out the specifics now.

kamikasei
2007-12-26, 05:38 PM
You'll need to be more specific, as Superman's power level has varied dramatically over the decades.

I'd be inclined to say "unplayably high", but then, epic levels are innately ridiculous.

Patashu
2007-12-26, 05:45 PM
Meh, a wizard could still beat him.

konfeta
2007-12-26, 05:45 PM
Silver-Age Superman might be able to defeat Pun-Pun actually. Just to give you an idea on how retarded the character becomes.

I can see it now - "The SuperHunch is telling me there is an omnipotent being that must be stopped! I will now bend the laws of physics, go faster then light with SuperSpeed, break the laws of physics, will figure out how to use it to go back in time thanks to my SuperSmarts, and then break the laws of logic and non-logic and beat PunPun despite any logical and illogical contingency he can set up thanks to my SuperPlot powers!"

Lady Tialait
2007-12-26, 05:50 PM
oh yes, Pun-Pun cannot compeate with superknitting!

...muhahhahahahahahahaha ....

Bauglir
2007-12-26, 05:51 PM
Ok, we need DR sufficient to allow him to be totally unharmed by bullets, and the highest damage given in the DMG for modern weapons is 2d10, right? So DR 25/Kryptonite or Magic ought to do it with a little to spare. However, he's clearly taken bigger hits with no problem. So let's tack on the Tarrasque's regeneration, overcome by kryptonite or magic. Also some weakness to Doomsday's fists as a weakness to get the DM to lower the LA a little. I'd say give him +10 Str, Dex, and Con, and an addition +10 on all Str, Dex, and Con checks, including skill checks. A racial bonus on saves seems pretty reasonable, maybe +5 to all except will (which always seemed to be his weak spot, besides, y'know, kryptonite). Maybe that's already taken care of with the ability modifiers, though. He probably ought to have a natural armor bonus to AC, maybe +4 or 5 (his DR handles most things, as far as I know). Fly speed of something like 100 ft with perfect maneuverability. That time he flies around the earth to reverse its rotation, and thus time itself, is probably best represented by DM fiat. Natural slam attack for 2d10 damage seems like a good idea, and immunity to disease and poison. Give him Dragon hit dice, even though he's not at all draconic, because they seem to fit him the best in terms of statistics. Probably actually lose the LA entirely, like someone suggested above, and give him racial hit dice. Improved Toughness as a racial bonus feat, for no real reason, considering everything else, but it sounds like it'd be good. +5 Bonus on Spot checks, and maybe an at-will, 1d6 fire damage eye beam (ranged touch). Probably also the effects of a Ring of X-ray Vision, too. Energy Resistance 30 to all, how about. That should, I think, give a kryptonian playable beneath level 20 (barely, and it might just be level 20). Anyone wanna figure out the number of racial hit dice that would make that balanced?

Maybe want to make that regeneration and stuff overcome by epic instead of just magic. It seems to me that magic that hurt him was because of the magic itself instead of improving the innate qualities of a weapon, so you'd have to have a really magical weapon to do much to him. Alternatively, it's overcome by brilliant energy instead.

Malfunctioned
2007-12-26, 05:52 PM
Silver-Age Superman might be able to defeat Pun-Pun actually. Just to give you an idea on how retarded the character becomes.

I can see it now - "The SuperHunch is telling me there is an omnipotent being that must be stopped! I will now bend the laws of physics, go faster then light with SuperSpeed, break the laws of physics, will figure out how to use it to go back in time thanks to my SuperSmarts, and then break the laws of logic and non-logic and beat PunPun despite any logical and illogical contingency he can set up thanks to my SuperPlot powers!"

"And then I'll Superknit jumpers for all the children at the metropolis orphanage!"

(:smallfrown: Ninja-ed....kinda)

GoC
2007-12-26, 06:00 PM
First off, I think he needs racial hit dice, not LA. His progression should be treated like the monster "classes" from Savage Species - he becomes more powerful as a Kryptonian over time, gaining access to better flight, speed, and strength, heat vision, etc., as he gains experience. However, he might well start out with a level adjustment as well, judging by Smallville.

Strength increases for each RHD, speed increases, increasing bonuses to jump checks that eventually are replaced by a flight speed, increasing DR/ kryptonite or magic, d12 or d20 hit dice, increasing elemental resistances, and all high saves. I don't feel like figuring out the specifics now.

So Superman would be level 1000?:smallbiggrin:

Bauglir: Umm... no.
He needs to withstand missiles and bazookas that can go through 4 ft of concrete>200hp.
His Str is over 300 going by carrying capacity alone so his Con is also around there.
His superspeed makes his punches 100 times more dangerous and means his Dex must be ridiculous.
He can make how many attacks in six seconds? 100? 200?

His LA is going to be over +20 at least.

Thinker
2007-12-26, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't build him with DnD, I'd build him with Mutants and Masterminds. It works out much better for statting comic book characters for some reason.

Sebastian
2007-12-26, 06:11 PM
Well, in a d20 super hero RPG (D20 modern-Four colors to fantasy) I've seen an "andromedian" that was nothing else but a kryptonian with the serial number erased (complete with andromedite) and it was a CR50 creature IIRC. Of course it was quite different from standard D20 so I don't know how well of a comparison it would be.

Inyssius Tor
2007-12-26, 06:30 PM
A Kryptonian? Can we get a measure of his powers--the standard set (flight, really strong, heat vision), the godlike set (can fly faster than the speed of light, can effortlessly destroy anything, is completely invincible), the pathetic Silver Age set (Super-Hunches, Super-Friction, Super-Kisses)?

How about the oddball powers (telepathy, frost breath, Rebuild-the-Wall-of-China–Vision)?

LibraryOgre
2007-12-26, 06:59 PM
What would a kryptonian's LA and stat adjustments be?

Yes .

Aquillion
2007-12-26, 07:20 PM
Which version? The very early superman couldn't fly, and was in danger even from bullets. That could probably be an actually playable race, albeit a very strong one. High DR, bonuses to physical stats, speed, inititative, and jump bonuses... there you have it.

The golden-age Superman steadily increased in power until he was absurd (silver-age superman was just that absurdity taken to a logical extreme, until he was barely even a traditional superhero anymore.) That version is essentially a demigod with a few specific weaknesses; probably, that would need a divine rank more than an LA, or would have an LA of --, being not suitable for play.

The most recent incarnation is probably still not suitable for play as a PC race, but might be close. Very high DR, a high fly speed, bonuses to physical stats... Epic or near-epic in level, probably. It's hard to imagine Superman being threatened by very many of the traditional D&D monsters.

Winterwind
2007-12-26, 07:27 PM
Yes.I think you've confused two alien species here. This is about Kryptonians, not Vorlons. :smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2007-12-26, 07:33 PM
I think you've confused two alien species here. This is about Kryptonians, not Vorlons. :smalltongue:

No.

:smallamused:

Renx
2007-12-26, 07:40 PM
Lessee... HP in the thousands, DR/20. Hmm...

Kryptonian, LA+10

special ability type: super. All abilities marked with 'super' are active only when under the effects of a yellow sun and have effectiveness of Y=percentage/100. Abilities increase by 10% (up to 300%) per hour under full effect of yellow sun and decrease by 10% per hour (down to 0%) per minute under full effect of non-yellow sun. Other suns may give benefits up to 5% per hour and 150% full effectiveness.

Special item: Kryptonite shards.
Kryptonite shards have following effects on all abilities marked with 'super': Green kryptonite: Nulls all healing, movement and power type effects instantly. Subject considered immobile after 2 rounds of exposure unless a Fort save is made at -20. Blue kryptonite: All 'super' abilities increased by 10x (Y=10) unless otherwise marked. Black kryptonite: Renders creature with any 'super' ability insane (pick the most disruptive and lethal of confusion, feeblemind and insanity effects every round and apply it).

special ability: superimmunity. All damage below 300 is transformed into typeless nonlethal damage.
special ability: superregen. All nonlethal damage is healed every round. Lethal damage heals at (1d8+20)*Y per round.
special ability: superflight. Subject is able to fly (perfect) Y*480'/round.
special ability: superspeed. Subject is able to move at speed equalling up to Y*2 rounds per regular round (ie has Y*2 rounds for every round a regular character has).

Convoluted enough for ya? ;)

GoC
2007-12-26, 08:30 PM
:smallcool:

You forgot the stat increases though.
And his eyebeams.:smallbiggrin:

Chronicled
2007-12-26, 09:29 PM
Superman is actually a tweaked out DMM cleric who hides it really well. With the Travel Domain, of course.

Jack_Simth
2007-12-26, 10:17 PM
I always figured he was an Elan Wilder, myself. Kryptonite has an antimagic field about it, and he's constantly very pumped up on boosters of various natures, but his actual stats are pretty low (hence he crashes to the floor when Kryptonite is in play).

Cuddly
2007-12-27, 12:05 AM
Just play the Tarrasque, but with an int of 9 and change the size to medium (don't bother readjusting stats to match the new size, though!).

Quietus
2007-12-27, 04:00 AM
Human. Paragon template. Add class levels to taste.

Paragon covers 99% of what he does, particularly if you represent bullets bouncing off of him as being natural armor rather than damage reduction. Can't remember if Paragon gives DR or flight, but there you have it.

The Professor
2007-12-27, 04:57 AM
VT beat you to it. Kind of. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34424&highlight=Kryptonian)

Not too helpful, on account of not knowing a good LA? :smallconfused:

Patashu
2007-12-27, 05:03 AM
Speaking of Superman, how come his clothing is as strong as he is? It never seems to get torn. What if I grabbed some of the material and made a Superman Golem?

The Professor
2007-12-27, 05:04 AM
A scientist did it.

MammonAzrael
2007-12-27, 05:21 AM
Speaking of Superman, how come his clothing is as strong as he is? It never seems to get torn. What if I grabbed some of the material and made a Superman Golem?

I think I read somewhere that his invincibility is really an aura that radiates from him just enough to protect his spandex. *shrug* Or maybe Martha is just that good a seamstress.

Dhavaer
2007-12-27, 05:29 AM
I think you've confused two alien species here. This is about Kryptonians, not Xeelee. :smalltongue:

Fixed for accuracy.

Sebastian
2007-12-27, 05:50 AM

again, it depends. In early version the clothes, (or it was just the cape?) were from krypton and as everything from Krypton under the yellow sun they were indestructable (he used the cape a lot that way, for things like to contain a explosion or protect people that carry around from friction when flying faster than light, etc).

In modern stories is the aura of invulnerability, that is way the suit stay whole but often the cape is torn.

Solo
2007-12-27, 02:28 PM
And why does he wear his underwear on the outside?

Roderick_BR
2007-12-27, 02:56 PM
Meh, a wizard could still beat him.
Funny enough, magic IS the only thing that could beat him now.

Ever saw the Storm-Trooper syndrome affect an object? When there had 1 kryptonite rock around, it was deadly to superman, making him lose consciousness in seconds. Now that there are trucks of it, Superman can even fly through a wall entirely made of kryptonite without getting more than a few burns, and a few minutes without super-powers.

On a side note, my orthographic corrector have Krypton in it, but not kryptonite.

And why does he wear his underwear on the outside?
He and Chuck Norris made a bet. Whoever lost would have to wear his underwear over his pants forever.

tyckspoon
2007-12-27, 04:09 PM
On a side note, my orthographic corrector have Krypton in it, but not kryptonite.

Likely because Krypton is an element- #36, one of the noble gases.