PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Sample Town and Adventure in the new DMG

Amphimir Míriel
2007-12-26, 09:51 PM
Dunno if someone already posted this, but Rich Baker has written the following on gleemax:

http://www.gleemax.com/Comms/Pages/Communities/BlogPost.aspx?blogpostid=30464&pagemode=2&blogid=4142

So D&D will finally have a "sample small town" and an "introductory adventure" for free in the core books.

Very useful for newbie (and lazy!) DMs

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-26, 09:56 PM
YES! THEY HEARD MY PRAYERS!

Now, to hope it's a GOOD town and adventure to savagely modify.

thorgrim29
2007-12-26, 10:07 PM
Thank the powers above, I was dreading having to put togetter an advenyure from scratch for the first session

Azerian Kelimon
2007-12-26, 10:11 PM
Ironically, I remember speculating on this on a thread that discussed fluff in the PHB. Guess I scored a nat 20 on my INT check.

Thinker
2007-12-26, 10:13 PM
I like it. It gives a way to test 4e for your group to help decide if you like it enough to use it as your main system. It also gives a good location for one-shots.

osyluth
2007-12-27, 01:02 AM
There is Saltmarsh in the Dungeon Master's Guide II. It's really cool and incredibly detailed. They devote a whole chapter to it.

Gralamin
2007-12-27, 01:16 AM
This isn't the first time I've heard of the Town, The last time I heard about it was supposed to be "more detailed then Saltmarsh" though I'm unsure where I heard about such a thing.

shadowdemon_lord
2007-12-27, 03:08 AM
Swordmage, thank god! Finally a base class that is a fighter/mage with it's own unique spell list focused on tanking, rather then taking some spells from the wizard/psion list and calling it good. Arcane Tanks for the lazy!

Behold_the_Void
2007-12-27, 04:52 AM
I support adventure paths, even if I don't end up using them. I remember the ones in D20 Modern's Urban Arcana/Shadow Chasers/Psi Ops were rather nice, and are a good jumping-off point for a new DM or a DM strapped for time that wants to get into the game. This kind of accessibility is really a good idea for a company that wants to bring more people into the game.

CabbageTheif
2007-12-27, 10:07 AM
just the concept is interesting; a small town located on top of huge old ruins, merley yards below the unsuspecting villagers feet. that gives us the [something is making weird noises, turns out its in the ruins][archaeologist treasurer hunter goes below, havent returned] or [group of bandits steal, then hide within] adventures. a waterfall nearby, which allows for fun stuff like [the water has vanished] [strange things are floating down the waterfall] or even [behind the waterfall is] type of adventures. as a matter of fact, that will come in handy next month for my players...

look over there, wizards! uni is attacking a kender with the hackmaster! ::steal and run::

AKA_Bait
2007-12-27, 11:14 AM
Glad to see they pulled Rich Baker into the design of it. He does good work.

Frosty
2007-12-27, 11:21 AM
I can't access the page right now, but if it *is* more detailed than Satlmarsh, I will be veyr happy. The DMG2 was money well spent, if nothing else then due to Saltmarsh alone. I based me entire current adventure arc off of the city, using some of the more dramatic plot hooks.

KIDS
2007-12-27, 03:07 PM
I hope it's more expansive than the original provided in core DMG; it seems like a good idea and considering how it will be the first thing many people judge D&D and new edition by, I sure hope they don't botch it. It's their interest to put maximum effort into it!!!

Indon
2007-12-27, 03:27 PM
I wonder if it'll involve killing rats...