PDA

View Full Version : Magical Beast Companion question.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-27, 02:10 AM
Looking both in the Epic Level Handvook and in the SRD I noticed a feat called Magical Beast Companion (http://srd.pbemnexus.com/epicFeats.html#magical-beast-companion). Why is it limited to those with wildshape 6/day? What would be wrong with allowing this feat to rangers or arcanists who substitute their familiar class feature for animal companion? Also, why is it an epic feat to begin with? I just want to know.

JackMage666
2007-12-27, 02:16 AM
It's limited by wild shape because that was the easiest way to limit it to Druids. I'm not sure why they didn't allow Rangers to have it too, but I know that in Core, Wizards and Sorcerers can't get Animal Companions (you need Unearthed Arcana for that). Not to mention Improved Familiar can get you a number of those Magical Beast as familiars anyway, and the ones it can't are WAY too powerful to be familiars.

It's Epic because Druid's animal companions are already good enough to take over the Fighter's Position, so giving it abilities that Magical Beasts have doesn't really help that.

Seriously, why does a Druid need a Gorgon, though?

SadisticFishing
2007-12-27, 02:32 AM
Animals are better for a druid, anyways.

Duke Malagigi
2007-12-27, 02:42 AM
Animals are better for a druid, anyways.

Oh, so that's why 1st level druids get wolves, deer and crocodiles while wizards of the same level get toads, rats, owls or small lizards instead. Now I understand.

JackMage666
2007-12-27, 02:44 AM
Oh, so that's why 1st level druids get wolves, deer and crocodiles while wizards of the same level get toads, rats, owls or small lizards instead. Now I understand.

Well, I think he means that Druids can cast spells to enhance animals, but not magical beasts. He wasn't comparing a druid's animal companion to a wizards Familiar.

SadisticFishing
2007-12-27, 02:52 AM
Woah, yeah, thanks Jack.

Animal Growth and Nature's Avatar are like super-duperdy awesome.