PDA

View Full Version : Warlock's Eldrich Blast and items

Irreverent Fool
2007-12-27, 02:36 AM
One of the PCs in the campaign I've been running is a warlock. As I'm browsing the forums at work and don't have my Complete Arcane handy (That is the book they're from, right? :smallredface: ), I was hoping I could get a few clarifications on Eldrich Blast.

Does it deal damage to objects? If so, is it the half damage spells usually deal?

In the case of a character taking full cover behind a tower shield, can they still hit the character by targeting the shield (as is described with targeted spells in the rules for tower shields) or can they only target the shield?

Does a warlock have to have the ability to use somatic and/or verbal components to perform an eldrich blast? That is, if a warlock is bound and gagged, can they still use this ability? (or invocations for that matter?) If they can, from where does the eldrich blast emenate?

They've just reached fifth level and a couple of these have come up over the course of gaming and I've had to decide on the fly. I'd like to know the official rulings if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Talic
2007-12-27, 02:44 AM
Energy damage (as the blast is) is halved when dealing with objects. I believe Acid is not halved, and Sonic is not halved and ignores hardness.

Lock's Shatter ability is far worse (at will, as an Other invocation). It gets boring watching the Lock shatter water... because he can.

Armads
2007-12-27, 02:48 AM
You can shatter water?

JackMage666
2007-12-27, 02:48 AM
I believe somewhere it says Eldritch Blast does no damage to objects, but I could be wrong. There is a Invocation, hammer Blast, that allows full damage to objects, though, and it's available at level 1 (I think, I could be wrong).

Eldritch Blast does not need Verbal components, but it does need Somatic. Normally, a spell-like ability wouldn't, but a Warlock Invocations are special in that they do require Somatic components. So a gagged Warlock could, but a bound one couldn't.

SadisticFishing
2007-12-27, 02:50 AM
Energy damage (as the blast is) is halved when dealing with objects. I believe Acid is not halved, and Sonic is not halved and ignores hardness.

Lock's Shatter ability is far worse (at will, as an Other invocation). It gets boring watching the Lock shatter water... because he can.

Woah. You can do that!?

Cuddly
2007-12-27, 02:55 AM
Woah. You can do that!?

Only at low temperatures.

Irreverent Fool
2007-12-27, 02:56 AM
I believe somewhere it says Eldritch Blast does no damage to objects, but I could be wrong. There is a Invocation, hammer Blast, that allows full damage to objects, though, and it's available at level 1 (I think, I could be wrong).

Eldritch Blast does not need Verbal components, but it does need Somatic. Normally, a spell-like ability wouldn't, but a Warlock Invocations are special in that they do require Somatic components. So a gagged Warlock could, but a bound one couldn't.

Thank goodness he doesn't have Hammer Blast! It would certainly throw a wrench into my NPCs plans... not that they'd know until it was too late.

Thank you for answering one of my questions, keep 'em coming guys!

Talic
2007-12-27, 03:06 AM
Yes, you can shatter water... The in game effects would likely be what is known in technical terms as, a "ripple". But yeah, when you can do that spell all day, every day, they shatter trees, doors, vases, well-buckets, acorns, small pets, you get the idea.

Kurald Galain
2007-12-27, 05:35 AM
Yes, it's the complete arcane.

Eldritch Blast deals half damage to objects, full damage with the Hammer Blast invocation.

Tower shields. By foregoing your attacks, you can make it provide total cover for you. Since D&D doesn't do facing, it covers you from everything regardless which direction it comes from. Assumedly you can still take actions that aren't attacks. In general, one cannot target a character with total cover - however, tower shields have a specific exeption that it still allows you to be targeted by spells. Assumedly, that includes spell-like abilities, like any Warlock invocation.

So yes, you can nuke somebody hiding behind a tower shield with targeted spells, although I would personally houserule that that simply doesn't work for most spells because I find it silly.

Warlock invocations require somatic and verbal components just like spells do, and are subject to attacks of opportunity and so forth. Eldritch blasts are, for all practical purposes, an invocation because they work just like every other invocation; it boggles the mind why they aren't simply called that. Thus, a bound warlock can't do much. Since the rules don't specify, an eldritch blast can emanate from anywhere; it makes sense to do a Hadoken from his hands, but you could refluff it as a breath weapon or whatever.

And you can't shatter water, because the Shatter spell only works on "solid, nonmagical" objects. Water isn't solid (except if it's ice), and arguably isn't an object either.

Demented
2007-12-27, 05:43 AM
Water is most certainly an object. But it most definitely isn't solid.
Question is, does it need to be completely solid, or just mostly?
Can you shatter a chocolate truffle? An egg? A gelatin capsule? These are important scientific questions!

Kurald Galain
2007-12-27, 06:01 AM
Water is most certainly an object.
Only if coded in C++ :smallbiggrin:

Can you shatter a chocolate truffle? An egg? A gelatin capsule?
Obviously you can shatter the shell of the egg, but not the yolk. This is an excellent way of baking them sunny-side-up.

Arakune
2007-12-27, 07:41 AM
Only if coded in C++ :smallbiggrin:

I guess he mean "it's not something alive".

Sure, that's not how the definition of object works, but you know what he means.

tyckspoon
2007-12-27, 03:17 PM
Tower shields. By foregoing your attacks, you can make it provide total cover for you. Since D&D doesn't do facing, it covers you from everything regardless which direction it comes from. Assumedly you can still take actions that aren't attacks. In general, one cannot target a character with total cover - however, tower shields have a specific exeption that it still allows you to be targeted by spells. Assumedly, that includes spell-like abilities, like any Warlock invocation.

You can be targeted by targeted spells, which has a specific meaning in the D&D rules- they're spells with Target lines, like Hold Person. You still have cover against attacks, which includes weapon-like spells (mostly rays.) An Eldritch Blast will hit the shield. Invocations that mimic targeted spells can hit the person behind the shield.

Kurald Galain
2007-12-27, 03:33 PM
You can be targeted by targeted spells, which has a specific meaning in the D&D rules

Unfortunately, this issue is muddled by the fact that several "attack roll" spells, like Scorching Ray, make exhaustive reference to "targets", as does the description for Eldritch Blast, and every single Essence invocation, and Eldritch Chain. The Complete Arcane is very clear on the fact that Eldritch Blasts have targets. It would be quite ridiculous to claim that something that has a target is not a targeted effect.

Telonius
2007-12-27, 03:40 PM
Yes, you can shatter water... The in game effects would likely be what is known in technical terms as, a "ripple". But yeah, when you can do that spell all day, every day, they shatter trees, doors, vases, well-buckets, acorns, small pets, you get the idea.

I'm picturing a dozen Warlocks teaming up and creating the gaming world's first wave pool.

tyckspoon
2007-12-27, 03:43 PM
It would be quite ridiculous to claim that something that has a target is not a targeted effect.

Nonetheless, it is true. Check under 'Aiming a Spell.' A spell can have targets, create an effect, or affect an area. All of these have 'targets'- the point or thing you're aiming the spell at. However, only a spell which has Targets as part of its statblock is considered a 'targeted spell'. It's not the first time the D&D rules have re-used words or given a word a specific use that it doesn't have anywhere else, even within the same rules.

Burley
2007-12-27, 03:58 PM
More so than it just being a targeted ability, take into consideration: Ranged TOUCH attack.
When I envision the Eldritch Blast, I think of it as attacking the energy of the target, rather than the body. Logisticly, it ignores all armor and deflection bonuses (including natural armor) and can only miss if the targer can jump out of the way in time...or the warlock is blind. So, I imagine that it would go right through the armor and attack the target's 'spirit'. But, that's just my take on it.

That explains why it does half damage to objects. Unless you're Pocahontas, rocks, walls, trees, doors and buckets don't have a spirit, and therefore, are not as susceptable to the Eldritch Fury.

Now, before anybody jumps me: Attacking a 'spirit' (ghosts and such) would still incur the 50% miss chance, though it would still do full damage. (Been in that arguement before...)

What'd be cool if you're looking at for items: Warlocks can use all sorts of magic stuff, but there are so few items geared right at warlocks. Try making an item that adds an extra ability to the eldritch blast, or gives access to another Invocation that the Warlock hasn't taken. Eldritch Gauntlets of Ghost-touch would be killer!

If only my DM were reading this...

FlyMolo
2007-12-27, 04:02 PM
My digital copy of Complete Arcane doesn't have Hammer blast. The only things under H are Hellrime Blast, Hideous Blow, and Hungry Darkness.

Where's hammer blast at?

@/\: I always thought eldritch blast was just a sort of ray. A warlock isn't attacking anyone's spirit, he launching destructive energy. Like a laser beam.

Burley
2007-12-27, 04:17 PM
My digital copy of Complete Arcane doesn't have Hammer blast. The only things under H are Hellrime Blast, Hideous Blow, and Hungry Darkness.

Where's hammer blast at?

@/\: I always thought eldritch blast was just a sort of ray. A warlock isn't attacking anyone's spirit, he launching destructive energy. Like a laser beam.

I think Hammer Blast is actually in the Complete Mage. Not positive, though.

And, attacking one's spirit thing: Like I said, that's how I envision it. I like to play on my own terms, without changing rules. Logisticly, it don't matter. But, Burley's Logic states: It gotta make sense to me to make me make use of it. That's why I'll never use a woman...or a stick-shift. :smalltongue: